Final thoughts on Mage before the Testing phase is over and it all counts

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
A hybrid actually needs more skillpoints, no? You need both mellee and magery skills after all. A minimum of dagger and agressive stance are required. Full mages don't need those, so can pick a second school and something else.

I'm more concerned about the time and resources needed to train mage skills compared to anything a footie needs.
Yeah there's clear discrepancy in the time it takes to skill one over the other, and that needed a looking at months ago it's too late now the only thing that helped was the Outburst buff, and it was a tiny buff.

the thing with Hybrid's is you cut out a lot that is up to your prefrence, like a Hyrbid wont be able to res or banish spirits so there's no need for that 300 points to dedicate to that, and you probably wont use mounted magery so 200 points, and with a low mana pool you dont use high end spells which is like 30-40 points from each school, so yeah there's more space to put FF stuff in there.
where as you can train up all footie stuff at no cost because of torch and starter sword, so i think it was an oversight to not allow a mage free cast at a certain int cap.

WolfAchilles

Jan 4, 2021
It's the only race i've seen be scary and dominant in a 1v3 with a mage on the other side, HIts mages for 70+ and 45 on steel and can regen and dive in the middle of fights easily and get out, with Lifesteal in it's pocket and a raw 20+ bonus damage, here's a video of what it can do just so you have an idea, i dont see Oghmirs or Alvarin classes pulling that off with as much confidence or as easily, because the damage and sustain can be unreal

It's the apex class for vets, and it's popular with a lot of the highest skill cap players because of the raw advantages it gives you over other classes at the moment we'll see how other things being added into the game goes but it's looking dominant over all when in the hands of skilled players

that's it in open world. it's a beast ready to be unleashed, it does need a lot of support in the crafting and other categories, but you feed this troll and it's a killing machine. period.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about man. Among the best players, alvarin is the most played and oghmir is the second most played. They are by far the strongest clades. Alvarin have a way to 1vx as well through their movement. Oghmir have wicked survivability as well, though not as good for 1vx because of their speed. The fact that you think thursar is the "apex class for vets" and popular for "highest skillcap players" is proof of how ill informed you are. its cringe.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
pretty legit MO1 magey

See it's not all heals, and having a really good team around you helps, too...

Yeah my comment was facetious, tongue in cheeck more.

Thanks for the video, there are some good MO2 ones aswell. I do believe mages (probably only Dex mages) can do dps and heals. Some players say they do too much DPS, but then mage players say we don't only do DPS we need to heal as well, if you nerf damage we will be doomed to be only healers as the damage will be too low to justify not healing.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about man. Among the best players, alvarin is the most played and oghmir is the second most played. They are by far the strongest clades. Alvarin have a way to 1vx as well through their movement. Oghmir have wicked survivability as well, though not as good for 1vx because of their speed. The fact that you think thursar is the "apex class for vets" and popular for "highest skillcap players" is proof of how ill informed you are. its cringe.
Yeah just argue against the hard evidence in the video, really good look Ig you playing the class and trying to defend it has nothing to do with it.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Yeah just argue against the hard evidence in the video, really good look Ig you playing the class and trying to defend it has nothing to do with it.
Mage has a tonne of deficiencies.
Leveling is awful, solo pve is awful, carry weight, low dps, low ability to get clade xp.

pvp on a mage is the only thing that works.

kind of sad that domination is a must

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Yeah my comment was facetious, tongue in cheeck more.

Thanks for the video, there are some good MO2 ones aswell. I do believe mages (probably only Dex mages) can do dps and heals. Some players say they do too much DPS, but then mage players say we don't only do DPS we need to heal as well, if you nerf damage we will be doomed to be only healers as the damage will be too low to justify not healing.

No doubt, man (assuming man or using man as just a 'you.'); I'm not at all against mage doing daMAGE :eek: They don't need to nerf mage dmg at all, like I said, just increase other people's damage so that there is more damage being done and mage damage doesn't stand out as unblockable true damage as much, it becomes something to use at certain points and something you have to wiggle in between giving heals to people who are actually getting banged down. Mages aren't doing too much dps, but the way the rest of the game is (PARRY AHEM), they have a key ability to hit people for a way higher hit than most people can, and even in if everyone is doing 35s on average instead of 25s (avg that counting 0s or 2s for parries tho), your clutch 50-60 is still gonna matter. It's ranged, it's unblockable. Leave mage as they are and work on everything else. Mage only exposes how stupid the combat is. You will find people who won't even wanna play mage any more once the dps becomes more reliable for other classes. Or their style of magery will change. I love playing support. I am like an area of effect supporter... like a necro mage in games, but MO necro, well I never played it, but it didn't look like what I wanted that much.

I'm just saying the due to the slow-seeming combat cuz of parries and people having to do crazy weird things to hit, the fact that mages can pull out a sword/dagger and parry most of the dmg, etc... it's really skewing what mages can do back, which is a guaranteed good damage hit. Like I said it's more exposure than game breaking, somehow I think people want the game to be even more tedious haha. Rather SKILL BASED. But like Pluro said "That's more than a stam bar." So dudes want more stam. It's like dudes want everything except dmg like it was when the game was supposedly at its peak.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
No doubt, man (assuming man or using man as just a 'you.'); I'm not at all against mage doing daMAGE :eek: They don't need to nerf mage dmg at all, like I said, just increase other people's damage so that there is more damage being done and mage damage doesn't stand out as unblockable true damage as much, it becomes something to use at certain points and something you have to wiggle in between giving heals to people who are actually getting banged down. Mages aren't doing too much dps, but the way the rest of the game is (PARRY AHEM), they have a key ability to hit people for a way higher hit than most people can, and even in if everyone is doing 35s on average instead of 25s (avg that counting 0s or 2s for parries tho), your clutch 50-60 is still gonna matter. It's ranged, it's unblockable. Leave mage as they are and work on everything else. Mage only exposes how stupid the combat is. You will find people who won't even wanna play mage any more once the dps becomes more reliable for other classes. Or their style of magery will change. I love playing support. I am like an area of effect supporter... like a necro mage in games, but MO necro, well I never played it, but it didn't look like what I wanted that much.

I'm just saying the due to the slow-seeming combat cuz of parries and people having to do crazy weird things to hit, the fact that mages can pull out a sword/dagger and parry most of the dmg, etc... it's really skewing what mages can do back, which is a guaranteed good damage hit. Like I said it's more exposure than game breaking, somehow I think people want the game to be even more tedious haha. Rather SKILL BASED. But like Pluro said "That's more than a stam bar." So dudes want more stam. It's like dudes want everything except dmg like it was when the game was supposedly at its peak.
The problem is not the game, If you run a Thrusar with a Maul you ignore most armors, it's just that the sweaties have convinced everyone that it's not a viable way to fight, Melee damage doesnt need to go up because majority of the melee scene refuses to use the weapons that do the most damage, because they are worried about 1v1s

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
The problem is not the game, If you run a Thrusar with a Maul you ignore most armors, it's just that the sweaties have convinced everyone that it's not a viable way to fight, Melee damage doesnt need to go up because majority of the melee scene refuses to use the weapons that do the most damage, because they are worried about 1v1s

I sed that Thursar would be slept on, and that's just from looking at their clades n atts, not even seeing gameplay. I don't know if it's imbalanced though. I mean, why should everyone have to roll Thursar and get no crafting boniz to do dmg? Def needs to be the most op fighter, at least if you are landing hits.

But Thursar is like the fat mage of melee haha. It's the exception, and it should be. The fact that blunt dmg is the only thing that goes thru parry exacerbates that, but I agree with the idea that blunt Thursar should be the highest consistent (v armor, block) dpser. Still much work to do otherwise IMO, but yea... shit is real. 30+% dmg even on normal height, life steal, passive regen? OK. hahaha. "They suck tho." It's like I dunno bud. I dunno HOW THAT IS EVEN POSSIBLE. They might not be the most meta, but they def don't suck, and I imagine anyone could benefit from them in a team fight. That they can pound you out, even if they lack mobility, is good for stuff like sieges and pushing toward a point, but the fact that they could probably be kited by an alv all day is something to discuss. I mean it seems kind of like mage would be hard counter to a Maul Thur. Alil Mage spike, assuming they took the passive regen gift, they are cooked regardless.

Edit: who tf is wicked? That dude is actually good at the game. If OP parry wasn't a thing, they'd be even better, but that's good gameplay. Kinda proof against the whole MO2 has slow and boring combat. But that person would be monstrous on just about any char, just so you know haha.

Edit2: the fact that dude only has one vid makes me think he quit or something, maybe waiting for release? Fr fr that dude is GOOD AT THE GAME WOW. I fail hard at a lot of the things I try to do, but I can def recognize someone with high skill. This is one of the only MO2 vids I've seen where I was impressed w/ the persons skill, like thoroughly. No offense to all the dudes who posted vids, and I haven't watched them all. It doesn't mean you're not good, you are, but this dude is a playing like a proverbial 'factor.'

Edit3: Thymir/thymag from Misc has a youtube? ahaha. I know that's prol what people think about my shit but looool. I always thought he was like the red headed step child of misc. Still love ya tho thy. That dude is gonna kill me or my horse every time he can because he knows I think that (even before I just said it), tho, still, content.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AssassinOTL

billbonty

Nov 17, 2020
Why a mage would not have blocking? You have so many points to spend I have extra points. Probably why these people think mage is bad because they dont know how to build a character. I dont even need blocking because you can just out run every one. Blocking is just for those few stout veelas diving and keeping still while your team peels so you dont run away from your group.

I even have defensive stance.

So what you’re saying is that your specific build of probably a bulging sheevra should be nerfed? I agree. Since int scaling got changed a few months ago without rebalancing literally anyone else hitting 130+ int, we’re now left with not enough damage to “make life easy” and not enough dexterity to even increase run speed because dex doesn’t increase run speed until 50+ due to dex curve lol. You are also able to kill risars probably on foot because you have them bugged into their confinement where they can’t path out. Just keep shooting through the gaps. It’s easy but that isn’t balance, that’s a problem.

Reactions: AssassinOTL

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
Remove diminishing returns on Int and magic damage. Otherwise very soon the only race that plays mages will be Sheevra. Humans and Oghmir cannot compete as a dex mage and fat mages are becoming redundant.

Every mage will be a Sheevra dex mage with tames, if nothing changes.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
Remove diminishing returns on Int and magic damage. Otherwise very soon the only race that plays mages will be Sheevra. Humans and Oghmir cannot compete as a dex mage and fat mages are becoming redundant.

Every mage will be a Sheevra dex mage with tames, if nothing changes.
Yeah Henrik Promised that there would not be pigeonholing in MO2 but has lost his way on the path. i need to make a comp of the vision he said he had and start holding him to his words, keep him consistent. they started out fine, now it will end up looking not too far from past projects if they keep up the same thing, too late to change tho.

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021
Just because Bill Bonty runs a pure mage guild and calls it MANA does not make him an authority on magic by any means.

If I go make a guild called STAMINA and write guides on melee, am I now an authority on melee? No.

What makes anyone an authority on anything is both a contribution of skill and time. Many people can lack one or the other, or both.

Magic is insanely strong. Anyone who plays against or with a good set of players knows this.

Mages are so strong that they are focused first in fights between players 9 times out of 10. Because guess why? They are the lifeblood of their team. No mages? Good luck staying alive with bandages unless you're an EU player on a veela and playing at the highest skill ceiling in the game right now.

The numbers don't add up because you don't add things up properly. I'm tired of seeing thread after thread after thread about this. Magic is better then fine, and if anything it's too good right now. But I feel like it's super impactful and have no issue with it remaining as strong as it is.

Like many in this thread and previous one have stated, Magic is only stopped by one thing; a Magic reflect. Which only a mage can provide.

To end my statement I will provide a check list of pros to a mage, and I will forego the cons as they are obvious in most regards:

- Ranged.
- Heals.
- Reflects Magic.
- Counters Magic.
- Can not be blocked.
- Hitscan.
- Cheap.
- Always in demand.
- Versatile (i.e. different Magic schools)
- Blocking (Unlike their MO1 counterpart)
- Faster Fatmages
- Can utilize low strength weapons (i.e. Daggers)

Now quote me and tell me they suck because they get hit for 50 even though they can do that damage at range.

I agree with you here. I think that magic is extremely powerful, but the tradeoffs are what make it balanced. You're one of the easiest targets, and your armor is barely above vendor armor. That and if you're 100% mage focused you're going to be outrun by anybody with a dex build. Even if you can outrun them odds are that you'll stam out way faster because str and con add to your stam pool, while psy and int don't. To survive as a mage and be effective you need a decent team on your side that can provide peels and some level of protection. Otherwise you'll just run till you die. Pretty much all you need to do is run straight at a mage and get 2-3 hits in. It's a glass cannon build. You get dicked on if you aren't given the space to do your thing.

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021
@AssassinOTL - at least it was noticed by some on yesterday stream - thanks for quote - I do think new nice looking mage armour is well... As Henrik said "its star wars style armour" just it is lacking the force sadly.

@Tzone - he is wearing this armour because it suppose to be good mage armor perhaps ? (but it isn't...)

For me all those who state high INT mages are that powerful dont play one - why - its so overpowered should be no brainer right ?

full int mage is not good. Mostly because MM is kind of a meme. You're gonna have a hard time providing effective heals, which is a main focus of most mages, and you have to treat combat spells like you're jousting. Run far out of range to charge your spells, and dive back in to do some damage.
A full int mage on the ground is just an easy target. Dex mage is really the only way to go if you fight on the ground ever. Otherwise you better be on a horse anywhere you go. I did find that playing a max int mage could be a tiny bit effective if you keep your horse next to you, and hop on any time there is danger. Dismount to cast, but then you better make damn sure that your horse lives, because without it you're once again just a chubby little snack to any footie.

Reactions: Belegar

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
full int mage is not good. Mostly because MM is kind of a meme. You're gonna have a hard time providing effective heals, which is a main focus of most mages, and you have to treat combat spells like you're jousting. Run far out of range to charge your spells, and dive back in to do some damage.
A full int mage on the ground is just an easy target. Dex mage is really the only way to go if you fight on the ground ever. Otherwise you better be on a horse anywhere you go. I did find that playing a max int mage could be a tiny bit effective if you keep your horse next to you, and hop on any time there is danger. Dismount to cast, but then you better make damn sure that your horse lives, because without it you're once again just a chubby little snack to any footie.
1642709691632.png

Yeah the class needs love, and needs to feel fun to play like literally every other class out there when it feels like new players have to ask if you even want one of your classes in game, there is a clear problem. Stop doing what you're doing. you're confusing the new players

@Sebastian Persson @Henrik Nyström