Final thoughts on Mage before the Testing phase is over and it all counts

shill

Mar 24, 2021
@AssassinOTL - at least it was noticed by some on yesterday stream - thanks for quote - I do think new nice looking mage armour is well... As Henrik said "its star wars style armour" just it is lacking the force sadly.

@Tzone - he is wearing this armour because it suppose to be good mage armor perhaps ? (but it isn't...)

For me all those who state high INT mages are that powerful dont play one - why - its so overpowered should be no brainer right ?

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Mage charge to self lesser heal is pretty fast, faster than I thought now that I have it on vid.

I'm not gonna whine about mage dmg because I still think you guys are looking at it backwards. Like in the "Henrik interview" troll vid... there needs to be just more dmg from everything else. More dmg from archery, more dmg from melee. Magi will then have to heal more and they will be getting knocked when they are approached. They will be getting pinged when they get hit w/ an arrow. Use Magi dmg as a baseline for what dmg should be like.

When people were taking 40s, I think the game felt a lot better. People say zerg, but like I said in other threads, that also means you can focus down bad players a lot faster. They want more stam to do more outplay and keep the same amount of hits, but really I've proved over and over (At least to myself) that you can mess with someone's swing arc and make them deal nearly 0 dmg in a lot of cases by using mobility. Of course, better players are gonna be better at avoiding that, but IN GENERAL, thus you can face tank hits and if you are popping someone back for 40+s they are gonna burn down super fast, magi are gonna need to be on standby for spike dmg negation (also kinda wish there was a prot spell like most other games have, but that's another can.) The fact that lesser heal is such a staple is cute, but it also proves (again to me) that dmg is not high enough.

Trust ya boy. MOAR DMG. Health has even gone up afaik. Leave mage dmg as it is except maybe adjust psyche so you get some more benefit out of it pre-100. Then just buff dmg across the board to make the game more cut throat. What you are seeing from mages would not be an anomaly then + they would have to be way more careful and would have to dedicate more of their time to healing as their dmg wouldn't be the most consistent, even if not highest dps.

Edit: @shill haha I dislike the if it's so broken let's see you do it. not everyone wants to play the same style or the same class, and even some people who are GOOD at said class will roll off of a broken class because they don't want their opponent to have excuses.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
@AssassinOTL - at least it was noticed by some on yesterday stream - thanks for quote - I do think new nice looking mage armour is well... As Henrik said "its star wars style armour" just it is lacking the force sadly.

@Tzone - he is wearing this armour because it suppose to be good mage armor perhaps ? (but it isn't...)

For me all those who state high INT mages are that powerful dont play one - why - its so overpowered should be no brainer right ?
Im wearing it because Im on a 1x restart test mage with no armor crafting. Mage doenst even need armor if you play well.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
@AssassinOTL

I wouldn't really put too much stock into how well any build does in tournaments. Most people create a set of arbitrary rules that ban bandaging, archery, etc. So it's not even a good indicator of who can win a 1v1 in the actual game world if neither side holds back.

This is especially true with Thursars who have a clade gift that makes them heal faster naturally but reduces incoming healing by allies. It's like the best 1v1 ability ever but I feel like it's actually detrimental in the open world where most fights happen in groups.

Reactions: WolfAchilles

Tzone

May 16, 2021
@AssassinOTL

I wouldn't really put too much stock into how well any build does in tournaments. Most people create a set of arbitrary rules that ban bandaging, archery, etc. So it's not even a good indicator of who can win a 1v1 in the actual game world if neither side holds back.

This is especially true with Thursars who have a clade gift that makes them heal faster naturally but reduces incoming healing by allies. It's like the best 1v1 ability ever but I feel like it's actually detrimental in the open world where most fights happen in groups.
He knows hes just talking out his ass to try to make a non existent point. He doesnt believe a word he him self says but wants others to believe thats why he doenst show any proof or data. Just semantics and fake arguments.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
@AssassinOTL

True, although some vary from others, across those tournaments it's skill, clade, build and weapon choice that matters a lot. but you still cant take away that at it's core the Thursar does the most damage of any class without much competition. even though it's not the highest stat cap class in game i'm not saying buff anything but balance it out, make the dex classes swing faster, something to make it not so stale if you know what I mean

shill

Mar 24, 2021
Im wearing it because Im on a 1x restart test mage with no armor crafting. Mage doenst even need armor if you play well.

Archers will take you down if they play correctly especialy if you are naked its gonna take tem 5 sec tops when focused.

Remember after relatively short time most players will not anymore be gimped with wipe stats and equipment.

Reactions: Belegar

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Archers will take you down if they play correctly especialy if you are naked its gonna take tem 5 sec tops when focused.

Remember after relatively short time most players will not anymore be gimped with wipe stats and equipment.
Show me the video, I used to main archer and now I main mage. Mage beats a archer. The best the archer can do is stalemate. Mage can hold a spell behind cover while having the option to peak for instant hitscan cast. Mages can chase down players with out stam issue like archer has. Mage can hit people running around which archers cant.

IDK why you are talking about wipe stats and equipment.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021

Because that would be the only logic explanation for your exaggrated claim: That the archer is using a lowgrade bow and he has low Strength, that your naked mage will beat him every time or atleast a stalemate.

@shill Tzone has some uber-fat-mage build that can jump on rocks and run behind trees. He doesnt share any vids on it, though. I would also keep it a secret.

• Haha
Reactions: AssassinOTL

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
True, although some vary from others, across those tournaments it's skill, clade, build and weapon choice that matters a lot. but you still cant take away that at it's core the Thursar does the most damage of any class without much competition. even though it's not the highest stat cap class in game i'm not saying buff anything but balance it out, make the dex classes swing faster, something to make it not so stale if you know what I mean

I understand it hits hard. And the health steal at this point can be useful for a very particular playstyle in big brawls. But I don't think it offers what the other races do. Human versatility. Alvarin divers. Ohgmir tanks. The other races all feel like they fit a niche that has broader application.

You would think for a race that gets no crafting bonuses and no ability to run any type of magic effectively they would be excellent foot fighters. I think they can be toned up a bit without breaking them. Maybe broken for tournaments but I only really care about open world balance.

shill

Mar 24, 2021
Show me the video, I used to main archer and now I main mage. Mage beats a archer. The best the archer can do is stalemate. Mage can hold a spell behind cover while having the option to peak for instant hitscan cast. Mages can chase down players with out stam issue like archer has. Mage can hit people running around which archers cant.

I am not recording videos just playing the game and I am having my own experience, you don't have to agree with and vice versa.
Fat/pure mage can not chase people down - simple as that.

Mage can hold spell behind cover -agree i can do that if i have frontline, it ain't easy life and divers usually have me/backline as a priority target. To be clear I am not talking about 1v1 because i could not care less for duels as support class.

• Love
Reactions: AssassinOTL

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
I understand it hits hard. And the health steal at this point can be useful for a very particular playstyle in big brawls. But I don't think it offers what the other races do. Human versatility. Alvarin divers. Ohgmir tanks. The other races all feel like they fit a niche that has broader application.

You would think for a race that gets no crafting bonuses and no ability to run any type of magic effectively they would be excellent foot fighters. I think they can be toned up a bit without breaking them. Maybe broken for tournaments but I only really care about open world balance.
It's the only race i've seen be scary and dominant in a 1v3 with a mage on the other side, HIts mages for 70+ and 45 on steel and can regen and dive in the middle of fights easily and get out, with Lifesteal in it's pocket and a raw 20+ bonus damage, here's a video of what it can do just so you have an idea, i dont see Oghmirs or Alvarin classes pulling that off with as much confidence or as easily, because the damage and sustain can be unreal

It's the apex class for vets, and it's popular with a lot of the highest skill cap players because of the raw advantages it gives you over other classes at the moment we'll see how other things being added into the game goes but it's looking dominant over all when in the hands of skilled players

that's it in open world. it's a beast ready to be unleashed, it does need a lot of support in the crafting and other categories, but you feed this troll and it's a killing machine. period.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
I am not recording videos just playing the game and I am having my own experience, you don't have to agree with and vice versa.
Fat/pure mage can not chase people down - simple as that.

Mage can hold spell behind cover -agree i can do that if i have frontline, it ain't easy life and divers usually have me/backline as a priority target. To be clear I am not talking about 1v1 because i could not care less for duels as support class.
dont pay him too much mind, the last video he tried to share about mages being OP he missed a ton of spells and was running oomed and dying by the end of the video he's trolling you

also 0 confirmed kills on the entire vid for him for as much as he says the class is OP

FreeHorses is probably the mage that you'd look at and say is overall good at all Offensive, defensive and support

Last edited:

shill

Mar 24, 2021
dont pay him too much mind, the last video he tried to share about mages being OP he missed a ton of spells and was running oomed and dying by the end of the video he's trolling you

also 0 confirmed kills on the entire vid for him for as much as he says the class is OP

FreeHorses is probably the mage that you'd look at and say is overall good at all Offensive, defensive and support

Yep he is top notch, saw some sicko action from FreeHorse :)

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
Im mostly playing a heavy hybrid and i will mostly be fighting in melee but i got 180-200 mana on those builds, so i could jump in as a mage if i wanted to. Sure i wont be doing any 70s in damage or heals but its 100% armor bypass as long as they dont have high psyche and even then there is mindblast that still do 36 damage unless they are having str and int balanced. I wont be dealing any insane damage in melee, be super tanky or even run away but that dont matter with proper tactics reducing melee and ranged damage potential.

I really like the magic cuz of the utility and i deem it well balanced. Gotta sacrifice a lot of attribute points for protection against it. Even if its not as fast at 2 shotting people its still really strong. Only Sarduccan and Tindremene can really get the good protection and even then fat mages will still hit for 30-40 damage. Sure they might not be able to use mindblast and they might only do half damage with the rest of the magic on you. Those builds however will only have 180-200 hp

You can finish anyone in a 2-12 spells depending on targets hp, str int balance and psyche and your damage. This is the reasons why im mostly making builds defending against magic. Magic is not really avoidable. Sure you can magic reflect but that can get you killed as much as it could backfire on the attacking mage. You can spurt them to interrupt their spells but the moment it dont interrupt they will hit you hard. You can try to counter heal but that wont work if your already dead being focused by a number of mages.

Mages are quite likely the strongest on the field if used right but they are weak against physical damage due to bad armor. Some mages in MO1 went with 9kg armor. You could most likely use more now depending on your build. Also if you often get killed before you run out of mana then why not get more armor. Light armor is also so cheap you could probably just get some pieces to swap to increase mana regen for a bit and then swap back to increase defense. Also just having a shield on the back changes a lot as well as having it to parry with.

I dont have time to type more so hope this helps you guys seeing it in another perspective :)

Edit: Just remembered Henrik did mention a spell would be coming with one of the magic schools similar to the magic reflect but for physical damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tzone

Tzone

May 16, 2021
1642248544809.png
Mage isnt even bad in PvE really. I dont have anything past the basic spell book. Only using outburst, purify, lesser heal, and lighting. EZ game as a mage. Risars take a bit of time to kill but Im using the priest spell school. Most of these are casters or else I would have more heads if I was going after all bandits.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
Im mostly playing a heavy hybrid and i will mostly be fighting in melee but i got 180-200 mana on those builds, so i could jump in as a mage if i wanted to. Sure i wont be doing any 70s in damage or heals but its 100% armor bypass as long as they dont have high psyche and even then there is mindblast that still do 36 damage unless they are having str and int balanced. I wont be dealing any insane damage in melee, be super tanky or even run away but that dont matter with proper tactics reducing melee and ranged damage potential.

I really like the magic cuz of the utility and i deem it well balanced. Gotta sacrifice a lot of attribute points for protection against it. Even if its not as fast at 2 shotting people its still really strong. Only Sarduccan and Tindremene can really get the good protection and even then fat mages will still hit for 30-40 damage. Sure they might not be able to use mindblast and they might only do half damage with the rest of the magic on you. Those builds however will only have 180-200 hp

You can finish anyone in a 2-12 spells depending on targets hp, str int balance and psyche and your damage. This is the reasons why im mostly making builds defending against magic. Magic is not really avoidable. Sure you can magic reflect but that can get you killed as much as it could backfire on the attacking mage. You can spurt them to interrupt their spells but the moment it dont interrupt they will hit you hard. You can try to counter heal but that wont work if your already dead being focused by a number of mages.

Mages are quite likely the strongest on the field if used right but they are weak against physical damage due to bad armor. Some mages in MO1 went with 9kg armor. You could most likely use more now depending on your build. Also if you often get killed before you run out of mana then why not get more armor. Light armor is also so cheap you could probably just get some pieces to swap to increase mana regen for a bit and then swap back to increase defense. Also just having a shield on the back changes a lot as well as having it to parry with.

I dont have time to type more so hope this helps you guys seeing it in another perspective :)

Edit: Just remembered Henrik did mention a spell would be coming with one of the magic schools similar to the magic reflect but for physical damage.

I appreciate a fresh perspective. The way you set it out is how I view mages, and how I belive they should stay. This isnt OP, but is still competitive.

Reactions: Rolufe

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
View attachment 3194
Mage isnt even bad in PvE really. I dont have anything past the basic spell book. Only using outburst, purify, lesser heal, and lighting. EZ game as a mage. Risars take a bit of time to kill but Im using the priest spell school. Most of these are casters or else I would have more heads if I was going after all bandits.

With or without a Pet?