Does higher material lore increase extraction yield?

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
Looking for information on both mineral furnacing, refining, and butchery.

Let's use waterstone as one example. Does having enough points for waterstone skill & fuming salt skill allow you to break down waterstone and get maximum output if you have all other extracting skills to max? Or can you just get the skills you need in order to refine, if you are not crafting on that character?

same situation with breaking mats down, do you need full metalurgy for full output or does just to the skill of each item work?

Lastly, for butchery, I actually tested this, and animal materials gave almost no gain for pigs. Emalji output was the exact same. Zoology was a little bit of a boost but not enough to merit the skill, IMO, like 20% more. This is why I'm wondering if its the same for mining, where material lore just determines what items can be used and the actual skills determine output.

If it does increase yield, does anyone know by how much? Specifically with butchering,what % is having zoology and what % is having material lore?

I am trying to make an all-in-one extraction character (butcher + refining) but not enough points to take up alchemy + alchemical dissolvents and do this.

Fyrel

Mar 30, 2021
Don't have any numbers but from my limited testing every relevant skill and lore provides a small increase.

Personally I don't think it's worth maxing all the relevant lore on low yeild materials unless your crafting with it.
When yeild is like 1.5% is an extra 5-10% of that amount really worth the points.

Something like waterstone lore makes sense for extractor/refiner since the skill will be effecting the yeild when you crush the amarantum and when you refine it into gemmetal and lupium.

Refining with any of the higher level materials does require you to know the lore to even process them, you don't need the lore for catalysts but I have no idea how they effect the yeild.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
you don't really need the lores for the catalyist in extraction or refining (for instance, many reactions use calx powder, and there is not skill for it). however, the lore for the ore you are processing, the lores for the porducts, the extraction/refining skills and the skills for the tools you are using all affect yield a great deal.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Emalji output was the exact same. Zoology was a little bit of a boost but not enough to merit the skill, IMO, like 20% more.

20% is significant. Especially when you consider one extractor can extract for a whole group of people. For instance you're out killing lizards and you have one butcher with all their Zoologies along, you could get one free lizard worth of scales for every five lizards you kill. This can cut down your farming time fairly notably given lizards have a ridiculously slow respawn.

Even more significantly, if you go out and bring back tamed creatures or corpses to process in town they'll get 20% more yield if you have a zoology character at the table. Make this character an Alvarin and it gets even better.

Now if you are killing and skinning creatures in the field, and it's something like pigs or wisent that the respawn rate isn't an issue, then this matters a lot less since your main limitations are carry capacity and trip time. But it matters greatly for everything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sauron