Death Rattle

How do you feel about the game?

• Total voters

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
I skimmed over this thread and this is merely a follow up of my own thoughts - https://mortalonline2.com/forums/th...numbers-but-with-out-the-beta-community.6098/

MO2 has been, in my opinion, better received by the public mainstream and has seen great success in terms of numbers. My positive opinion of the game hard-stops there in all honesty.

To make it easier to understand my issues with the game I'll put them in a bulleted list.

• The game is still poorly optimized.
  • The game lacks more / advanced graphical control for players to fine tune their playing experience.
  • The game lacks distinct colors, making everything look the same which can sometimes be confusing or an eyesore.
  • There are many places still lacking fixes in the terrain, which were reported numerous times since they've been found. (Both minor & major).
  • Keybinds and more configuration options to alter how you play are missing, or not present; shoe horning you into specific binds. (It's also just generally buggy).
  • Sharding was a band-aid fix for a problem called in advanced (and therefore, in my mind was a purposeful misstep to handling the population issue).
  • The game still lacks regional servers.
  • The combat is boring & clunky. Having higher ping exacerbates these issues. The best NA player wont beat the best EU player, the best AU player wont beat the best NA player.
  • Group combat is either a cluster-fuck, or a zerg washing over another group. No, you don't need to point out the videos of people fighting outnumbered. These are outliers.
  • Magic feels super dry, and extremely annoying to play against. (MO1 magic felt better.. and looked better.)
  • Mounted play has been severely gutted. Even though I hated how strong it was in MO1, it seems in MO2 you either play strictly an MA or go MC when you zerg. I honestly think Mounted Magery was the best balance to magic on mounts and find it balanced / fair currently, with MC being horrible with weapon hitboxes.
  • A lot of locations are just asset-bought drop ins with jank additions (of more asset-bought objects) making them look out of place or same-same to other locations in the game (That also used asset-bought objects).
  • Haven was designed lazily, and doesn't harken back to the Haven of MO1 that was its own distinct location, with distinct creatures, items, and even a small storyline. MO2 Haven feels like a drag.
  • MO2 seems to have more drive in forcing players into big groups, or suffering because of it. (Which isn't to say small guilds can't be successful, but name five small guilds that you actively see do well or have an impact).
  • Scattering & Removing Red Priests was a move intended to make PvP harder, which is a double edged sword. You hurt some, but appease others. (You see this logic a lot in MO).
  • Armor Crafting has been made easier & standardized but at the result of customizability & control over defenses / weight.
  • Weapon Crafting inherited many of the MO1 problems where there are many options for weapons, but only a few actually are worth bothering with.
  • The Parcel system was implemented unfinished, and that was a mistake. (Again, implementing broken or unfinished systems doesn't help the game.)
  • Keeps were in at launch, yet there was no sieging available giving players the ability to solidify their holdings without worry of losing it for an 'undetermined time'.
  • Hackers / Cheaters have been running rampant in the game since launch, beginning the ruining of the in-game economy, as well as killing players.
  • Losing items through bugs, and not being able to get them replaced is just bad.
  • Lack of GM tools to better help players, or deal with players.
  • Misleading players with promises of change to 'X' or 'Y' mechanic / 'thing' within the game, only to double back or never follow up.
  • The price to purchase the game, then to sub to it; only to have one character slot.

There is more I could put into the list, both things I can and can't say (due to moderation being heavy handed / censor-like).

Ever since the announcement & reveal of MO2, I set my bar low so I could never be disappointed.. and I'm happy to say I wasn't wrong or disappointed. Many people saw this coming, many people called out the novelty ideas or basically archaic concepts for modern-day gaming and it fell on deaf ears.

It's one thing I've never really liked about the MO community. There has never really been any true unity or agreement on the idea that the game has severe design issues that handicap it or limit its ability to succeed. Whether its a change to PvP or PvE.

It sucks when you see people blindly cheer on developers, with some who are just being good-hearted and want SV to do well (Which trust me, I do too), and accept all the good but try to refute the bad entirely. You deserve the product you get honestly.. The community as a whole should of been more adamant in doing this, but I guess this is the outcome when you have polar opposites clash where one side wants PvE shards and the other wants a single server for perma-death.

All in all, I'll just end it with this.

It doesn't change my opinion whether you agree, disagree, or don't care about what I say.

If you like / love the game? Cool. I'm glad you've found something you like & love to play. If you dislike / hate the game? Cool. I'd say let people know and be constructive towards the developers, but I really, really believe that's an uphill battle that goes up at a ninety degree angle.

I wont be one of those people who go "IM QUITTING THIS GAME IS SHIT!!" But I will refuse to play until the game dramatically changes. I just can't find myself logging on and being bored to tears whilst dumping a lot of time into it just to do anything, with so much wrong or working against my ideal gaming experience.

Hey, you tried Star Vault. It just aint for me. When are we getting Classic Mortal Online?

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Game is too poorly optimized and the lighting/shadows hurt my eyes. Only logged on twice for a short period of time. Have to play with night mode turned on to make it playable even then I cant look at the screen for long periods. I cant play for more then a hour then having to stop. Game runs like shit and plays like shit and is generally uncomfortable to play.

Even if the game didnt run like shit I could at least struggle through it if they fucking let me fix this god damn lighting.

My eye sight was deteriorating before the .ini fixed the lighting. Still wasn't that good because the .ini made everything darker so I had to turn up my gama to almost maxed. Like damn I just want to play a fucking game with out litterally going blind.

Reactions: Backyard Employee

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Agree with many of these issues.

I didn’t think I’d have a scenario completely inverse of mo 1 where I like the duelsbut can’t stand the group fightsz

I guess that’s what happens when you spend a year and 6 months working on 1v1s from a development perspective.

voted I’m having fun and still playing. I never feel at a lack for things to do in mo2. While in mo 1 I sat there with my thumb up my ass. I believe it’s due to having profession skills.

Nisse

Jun 17, 2021
I am having fun every time I log in. I don’t have the ability to do most of what people would consider the “real content” like the harder dungeons and obviously sieges are a major missing piece, but I still find plenty to keep my interest.

adrelik

Feb 8, 2022
I do agree with some of your points.

But on the flip side I had not heard of Mortal Online until a few weeks ago, since then I have played MO2 for around 80 hours and feel like I have not even scratched the surface. I barely even have my build finalised. Really enjoying it though and can't see that letting up any time soon.

I think the problem for a lot of MO1 vets is the new game is very similar so the bugs and jankiness stand out.

I'm getting really pissed off with the multiple servers / queue for main though.

D

Dracu

What annoys me the most atm that there is no reason to login. Theres nothing to do in this game that feels rewarding enough to be worth the time.
There is no reward in PvP as most ppl just use garbage, and even when they have something okayish its like... yeah this doesnt feel like a reward, just another gearset.

I personally consider the pve horrendous.
Cheesing, Zerging and generally way to EZ.
There is no difficulty to the whole process, atleast not in the way where it feels challenging. Dungeons consisting of 1 mob copy pasted, bosses that are just a number check... the reward not really beeing worth it.

The PvP Is the only thing that would make this game playable, but the game makes it soooo damn annoying to do.
Just in terms of travelling i mean. The time till action can be ridiculous at times where i ask myself... man thats alot of time for this one fight. It was fun... but was it worth it? Time can be used otherwise... Same goes for pretty much anything.

I dont feel like the game values my time enough.
I dont play MA so PvE is dogshit slow.
Mining is something i did alot but even then thats booooooring af and time consuming with alot of windows where you effectively not play the game but sit afk infront of a rock/extraction machine etc. artificial time gating to increase the timewindow where somebody can come and attack you...i get that but that happend pretty much never to me and it seems to be very rare... then i ask is it really worth it to artificially make it thaaaat long? Atleast not imo.

CrgHck

Jan 27, 2022
Stockholm
artificial time gating to increase the timewindow where somebody can come and attack you...i get that but that happend pretty much never to me and it seems to be very rare..
I see people and horses die every day at the extraction machines, I died once there and now take extreme caution. Dont like time sinks overall tho..

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
I'm personally still enjoying the game, but I haven't been pvping since day one, mostly getting character(s) levelled, grinding gear to fund a guild, and attempting bosses while pvp was set to the side till recently.

I could definitely see how the game could end up feeling dull if all you do is log in to pvp, but I think this applies to most MMOs.

My biggest issue is the bosses, I think these could be a really good challenge if they made a couple of changes:
1. Limit the number of people who can enter so you don't have zergs who can just finish it with minimal adherence to the mechanics.
2. Open the doors 10-15 minutes after a wipe at maximum, if not instantly. It's pretty trash that if you die you lose your set if you're making an attempt but brought a rez priest to allow for multiple attempts. How are you supposed to experiment and learn if each attempt is basically once a gear set. At max this gives you 2 or 3 attempts if you lug extra gear on horses.

Those two changes would make the bosses more meaningful and require practice and a well coordinated group to finish them instead of a zerg moving in and blowing them up.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
What annoys me the most atm that there is no reason to login. Theres nothing to do in this game that feels rewarding enough to be worth the time.
There is no reward in PvP as most ppl just use garbage, and even when they have something okayish its like... yeah this doesnt feel like a reward, just another gearset.

I personally consider the pve horrendous.
Cheesing, Zerging and generally way to EZ.
There is no difficulty to the whole process, atleast not in the way where it feels challenging. Dungeons consisting of 1 mob copy pasted, bosses that are just a number check... the reward not really beeing worth it.

The PvP Is the only thing that would make this game playable, but the game makes it soooo damn annoying to do.
Just in terms of travelling i mean. The time till action can be ridiculous at times where i ask myself... man thats alot of time for this one fight. It was fun... but was it worth it? Time can be used otherwise... Same goes for pretty much anything.

I dont feel like the game values my time enough.
I dont play MA so PvE is dogshit slow.
Mining is something i did alot but even then thats booooooring af and time consuming with alot of windows where you effectively not play the game but sit afk infront of a rock/extraction machine etc. artificial time gating to increase the timewindow where somebody can come and attack you...i get that but that happend pretty much never to me and it seems to be very rare... then i ask is it really worth it to artificially make it thaaaat long? Atleast not imo.
Game consumes so much time but is not very rewarding to play. And the game only becomes more tedious. PvP is basicly just to deny and take away from others. I delete most gear I get from other players because its not worth it because they dont make the meta weapon. Last time I was on, I got a lil bit of PvP but didnt accomplish anything, at the end of the session just supper annoyed with the state of the graphics making the game uncomfortable to play. It was just a huge waste of time. Im just happy I was playing when it was cold and raining outside so I didnt feel like I could have done something irl productive instead.

Only sticking around because I want a MMO like this to play, If there was a competitor I would be over there along with most people. Henrik is able to treat us so poorly and do so bad because he has the monopoly on this type of game.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I'm personally still enjoying the game, but I haven't been pvping since day one, mostly getting character(s) levelled, grinding gear to fund a guild, and attempting bosses while pvp was set to the side till recently.

I could definitely see how the game could end up feeling dull if all you do is log in to pvp, but I think this applies to most MMOs.

My biggest issue is the bosses, I think these could be a really good challenge if they made a couple of changes:
1. Limit the number of people who can enter so you don't have zergs who can just finish it with minimal adherence to the mechanics.
2. Open the doors 10-15 minutes after a wipe at maximum, if not instantly. It's pretty trash that if you die you lose your set if you're making an attempt but brought a rez priest to allow for multiple attempts. How are you supposed to experiment and learn if each attempt is basically once a gear set. At max this gives you 2 or 3 attempts if you lug extra gear on horses.

Those two changes would make the bosses more meaningful and require practice and a well coordinated group to finish them instead of a zerg moving in and blowing them up.
Bosses would not be meaningfull or harder if you limit the number of players because there is no skill required. Its just a numbers check. You must have enought breathing bodies of each type depending on the boss. As long as they have a pulse and are not stupid then you will win. There is not much room for skill allowing you to get away with less then the required ammount of players.

Im for limiting the ammount of players in there, just dont think it will make the game more skill full or meaningfull.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Bosses would not be meaningfull or harder if you limit the number of players because there is no skill required. Its just a numbers check. You must have enought breathing bodies of each type depending on the boss. As long as they have a pulse and are not stupid then you will win. There is not much room for skill allowing you to get away with less then the required ammount of players.

Im for limiting the ammount of players in there, just dont think it will make the game more skill full or meaningfull.

I can't speak for the sator but for the mino boss I disagree. I think with the right strategy and group composition you can kill him without a zerg, though it will take practice and people performing well.

The spiders are the same way, and if the number of people were limited it increases the value of these items and wouldn't be as easy for a massive zerg to get the items without much thought (making them more meaningful).

Doesn't fix the speed hackers tho.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Just in terms of travelling i mean. The time till action can be ridiculous at times where i ask myself... man thats alot of time for this one fight. It was fun... but was it worth it?

That's prol the state of most competitive gaming now tho. Like if I play bball on PS and queue into a game, it's gonna be 30~ minutes regardless, people quit, people lose on purpose, or people are just trash (on either side it makes the game not fun.) Then you get one good game where both teams are decent enough that your actions matter like... once out of every 15 games. Still, it's addicting cuz you know it CAN happen.

Then you can go to level 2 of dissatisfaction where you realize it's all a cycle of the same shit anyway, even in the best case when it is highly competitive w/ the best of the best players. In the end, all games have limitations that require you to play that way to win at the highest level. There is very mild variation. But it's still fun when people are all playing in sync at a high level.

MO world needs to be fun to live in; that's the whole point of a MMO, otherwise why not just play reg vs pvp? Not that it was exactly like that in MO1, but at least it felt like a world where actions mattered. When you are immersed, you're not watching the clock and a lot of the 'sinks' or 'travel' go by without a hitch because you know what you are doing is somewhat important/interesting. It's like they sucked all the life out of MO1. I don't get people asking for PvE servers because in this game a PvE server would be like a variation of HELL.

I do feel the game is mostly casual atm. Which is kind of THE WORST THING. MO shouldn't be the kind of game you log in to do your dailies per se. I don't think it's going to die, but I think it's gonna take a lot of time and balance before it's worth it. That's best case, tho. They could kill it. But if it's still going after the first two weeks, that means they got some interest. There are so many things they could do, but their main goal is getting to where they can start charging a sub asap. At least, that's how I feel... I'd like to see someone offer a counter argument to that. So, I don't think the game is gonna get better til after that. It'll be big steps back before they start moving forward and we'll be back to a small pop, but hopefully over time they will make the game good and people will join up.

D

Dracu

That's prol the state of most competitive gaming now tho. Like if I play bball on PS and queue into a game, it's gonna be 30~ minutes regardless, people quit, people lose on purpose, or people are just trash (on either side it makes the game not fun.) Then you get one good game where both teams are decent enough that your actions matter like... once out of every 15 games. Still, it's addicting cuz you know it CAN happen.

Then you can go to level 2 of dissatisfaction where you realize it's all a cycle of the same shit anyway, even in the best case when it is highly competitive w/ the best of the best players. In the end, all games have limitations that require you to play that way to win at the highest level. There is very mild variation. But it's still fun when people are all playing in sync at a high level.

MO world needs to be fun to live in; that's the whole point of a MMO, otherwise why not just play reg vs pvp? Not that it was exactly like that in MO1, but at least it felt like a world where actions mattered. When you are immersed, you're not watching the clock and a lot of the 'sinks' or 'travel' go by without a hitch because you know what you are doing is somewhat important/interesting. It's like they sucked all the life out of MO1. I don't get people asking for PvE servers because in this game a PvE server would be like a variation of HELL.

I do feel the game is mostly casual atm. Which is kind of THE WORST THING. MO shouldn't be the kind of game you log in to do your dailies per se. I don't think it's going to die, but I think it's gonna take a lot of time and balance before it's worth it. That's best case, tho. They could kill it. But if it's still going after the first two weeks, that means they got some interest. There are so many things they could do, but their main goal is getting to where they can start charging a sub asap. At least, that's how I feel... I'd like to see someone offer a counter argument to that. So, I don't think the game is gonna get better til after that. It'll be big steps back before they start moving forward and we'll be back to a small pop, but hopefully over time they will make the game good and people will join up.
Yeah i guess its not a mortal online exclusive thing. But i dont think it justifies it

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Tell me you're a gen x without telling me you're gen x? you go first.

Oh look another doom and gloom thread 40 days after launch.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021

Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation. A shining example of the community.

If you read what I actually said this wasn't me pissing on MO2. Just said my thoughts on why I won't continue to be playing and do not take issue with people enjoying or hating the game.

Reactions: Tzone

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Agree with many of these issues.

I didn’t think I’d have a scenario completely inverse of mo 1 where I like the duelsbut can’t stand the group fightsz

I guess that’s what happens when you spend a year and 6 months working on 1v1s from a development perspective.

voted I’m having fun and still playing. I never feel at a lack for things to do in mo2. While in mo 1 I sat there with my thumb up my ass. I believe it’s due to having profession skills.
Yeah I enjoyed group fights alot more in MO1 with faster paced speeds, when you could dive on mages, take one or two out and sprint back to ur group. It felt like you could make a big difference on the fight. In MO2 that will just get u collapsed on.

Tzone

May 16, 2021

You want the game to do well, so do we. Coming in here trying to dismiss what we are saying is not going to make problems go away or going to make the game do better.

Maybe you think the problems dont exist. Then why do you feel the need to just attempt to trash the people that say these problems exist? Trying to trash worried players isnt going to fix/not fix anything that could be going on.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I can't speak for the sator but for the mino boss I disagree. I think with the right strategy and group composition you can kill him without a zerg, though it will take practice and people performing well.

The spiders are the same way, and if the number of people were limited it increases the value of these items and wouldn't be as easy for a massive zerg to get the items without much thought (making them more meaningful).

Doesn't fix the speed hackers tho.
I did the mino a lot. The mino is just a numbers check where you need to have enough DPS to out damage the health he gets back from damaging your tank. Have enough healing output to keep your tank alive. The final part is just not to have stupid people that attack it when they are not supposed to and do DPS when they are.

I agree with in the future having mechanics that limit the number of people but there is a hard mathematical equation of you mush have X number of each class to beat the boss. The game is not that skill based in general especially in PvE where its just stand there and block easy to block attack. The minoking has two directions to block but you really only need to block in one direction as the 2nd direction is lower damage.

When a zerg just burns down the minoking in the first part they dont go on to the idiot check which would wipe a lot of groups. So yeah there is that part where numbers bi pass competency but I would not call competency a skill.

What I would like to see is more mechanics for the boss like AoEs that you have to dodge, or attacks that need to be dodged more like dark souls which is what they originally were going for. Right now PvEs number one rule is dont move because you will get the group killed if you move. Evenry one stands still and face tanks the minos or parries the other mobs. The bossed just need more mechanics so then they would require some skill.