Butchery.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Let's remember that this is still a hardcore game and let's not make it too easy atleast in making money by pumping coins from NPCs.
Really? Absolutely every bit of gold comes into this game from an NPC or barrel/grave/chest, where is the logic that those are ok but not extra mats!?!

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
Seriously, you will have as that much money from graves/barrels etc as from butchering, which selling those both to vendors are the best and easiest income for everyone, come on...xD

Money drop from graves is a joke aswell I even mentioned somewhere that I never liked graves, but we are not talking about them here! Chill xD

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
We were talking about graves up above. I think that maybe I'm not being clear. Hmmm. You don't like graves. What about barrels?
My point was to the others that selling things to vendors or direct drops of gold were the only two ways for gold to enter the game. They were upset over selling animal parts to a vendor but were ok with selling rings or other bits that dropped with animals when they were killed. I'm saying that they are the same in principal, so their being against the sale of one but for the sale of the other was logically inconsistent.

Your comment was the same. All gold comes from NPC's or NPC chests, etc. So saying that getting gold by vending something to an NPC is too easy doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Xunila and Teknique

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Selling everything to a vendor only became the point of butchery with breeding pens, before that and since then the useful stuff is turned into gear or sold to other players. Why is this source of gold uncapped and others not? It has the same cap and SV has the same ability to control spawn rates that they do for other NPC's. Why is selling one thing to a vendor, trash mats, not player driven economy, while selling bandit heads to a vendor is?

If it's a completely player driven economy that you are after then you need to remove coinage entirely and make everyone barter for everything. The reason coinage was invented though, is because of how inefficient bartering is.

Also, why are some people so against selling butcher trash to a vendor, but don't mention doing the same with extraction trash (which has been in the game longer?)
The difference is mats are processed and come from a player's profession, in this case butchery, while bandit heads do not. For the game to have a true player run economy then in theory all things that come from players shouldnt just be sold directly to vendors.

But I see your point in that theres tons of trash mats that really serve no purpose, and IMO a good compromise is letting you sell these to vendors ONLY until SV finds a use for them. Because honestly selling that fullgrain stack for 1g wont really cause much inflation. But I'm talking about no tier mats, all mats that have a use, either low or high tier, should never be able to be sold directly for gold.

We were talking about graves up above. I think that maybe I'm not being clear. Hmmm. You don't like graves. What about barrels?
My point was to the others that selling things to vendors or direct drops of gold were the only two ways for gold to enter the game. They were upset over selling animal parts to a vendor but were ok with selling rings or other bits that dropped with animals when they were killed. I'm saying that they are the same in principal, so their being against the sale of one but for the sale of the other was logically inconsistent.

Your comment was the same. All gold comes from NPC's or NPC chests, etc. So saying that getting gold by vending something to an NPC is too easy doesn't make sense.
I wasnt really for the idea of giving trophies to every mob either, this also disrupted the gold flow and acted as an amplified butchery, especially in Sarducaa.

But also I think a big plus for regulating gold entering the economy via few specific options is these become pvp hot spots as well, something very lacking in MO1. If gold creation is available everywhere, then instead of contesting a spawn you just find another one.

Reactions: Rorry

Kuroi

May 28, 2020
Naples, Italy
i wish @Henrik Nyström could tell us how they are going to design this...

anyway, i clearly remember him saying that vendors ALWAYS accepting and paying for mats wasn't intended, same for npcs having infinite money for paying players... so who knows, maybe they are going to actually change something with MO2?

Reactions: Rorry and Vakirauta

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
At the very least I think vendors should reduce their buy price of items based on their (or regional) supply. At least then it would be less profitable to sell things that are near a vendor.

This would tie right in with the idea of regional materials and such. As well as make it harder to set up a vendor near some resource and easily profit.

Reactions: Rorry and Vakirauta

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
At the very least I think vendors should reduce their buy price of items based on their (or regional) supply. At least then it would be less profitable to sell things that are near a vendor.

This would tie right in with the idea of regional materials and such. As well as make it harder to set up a vendor near some resource and easily profit.

Yeah, I was thinking something along these lines as well. Because it will be hard to a find a use for the metric shittons of meats. I highly doubt that SV can find a way to use those in cooking.

You could say that empire merchants buy a certain amount of meat and bone tissue, but only in specific locations and certainly not in players towns. There you might have to feed your pok... guards anyway.

Reactions: Rorry and Kuroi

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
Yeah, I was thinking something along these lines as well. Because it will be hard to a find a use for the metric shittons of meats. I highly doubt that SV can find a way to use those in cooking.

You could say that empire merchants buy a certain amount of meat and bone tissue, but only in specific locations and certainly not in players towns. There you might have to feed your pok... guards anyway.
if there is expected to be far too much of any given material (not just limited to meat or bone tissue) then there is room for correcting this in either creating greater demand for these items or reducing the supply.

this is a really difficult thing to accomplish and balance in an economy like MO has. I'm of the opinion that everything should have some value to players at endgame in some form or another, enough to pay some non-zero amount at the broker for them. This means new players that cannot farm good mats can at least farm poor mats to sell then buy better ones. maybe meats could be refined thru dry-aging or creating meat products like sausage, increasing their value at a reduction of volume.

i really like the idea of regional materials but not that vendors will pay money for them in distant locations. Provide a need for such items and let players create the demand in those locations instead. static vendor sell values for materials is always a bad idea.

-barcode

Reactions: ElPerro

Hooves

Nov 30, 2020
i always loved butchery and the day they implemented it i made a character for it just straight
No.

IMHO this is how it should work:

- npcs can't buy animal parts or any material that can be used for crafting
In MO1 there weren't enough players crafting with certain types of material (because SV didn't balance crafting tables) and newbs couldn't even sell their animal parts to players if they wanted to.

- newbs can sell carcasses (the ones they can transport if they don't want skinning for splitting, like wolves and wisents, not bigger stuff) via broker or killing bandits and similar for straight money on the field
Nice, donkey simulator 2020. Noobs go out, tame a donkey, haul carcs to town, then some prick comes along and murders the donkey and it takes them 45 minutes to start farming again. Fantastic. Killing bandits + other mobs for straight money is good. We need more of that, less butchery. It doesn't take you 45 minutes of prep to go kill a mob and loot straight gold.

this way you will have many "roles" and skill builds i guess:
- a butcher who just wants to butcher safely in town and buys carcasses from people since he doesn't want to pve/doesn't have the proper skills...
These should almost all be secondary skills. If people have to roll dedicated chars in order to butcher things, it just puts more roadblocks in the way for new players.

Let the people farm! Butchery is tyranny.

Last edited:

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
you cannot remove the ability to sell content from the slaughterhouse. You cut out most of the gameplay at once. If you prohibit the sale of parts from the slaughterhouse, then the players, respectively, will throw out the content, they will not carry goods to the sellers, and accordingly there will be less pvp activity on the way from the mob to the city (seller). If, as you confirm in the first part, this brought a lot of gold and undermined the economy, then why not regulate the cost of parts by mining by ordinary NPC buyers? Why can't you underestimate the cost as much as possible and underestimate the materials received from animals as much as possible? If you do this, then people will have to go hunting more and the value of these items will be higher. It is impossible, in my opinion, to take and cut out a whole part of the gameplay from the game, this is a crazy idea.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
No gameplay is taken out. You will have to sell to other players instead of dumping materials into vendors. Considering that you can hunt species close to extinction with the new system for fauna this if s better. You don't want noobs killing all Springboks to earn tiny amounts of coin. The market should regulate that.

Players can earn gold in other ways. Selling materials is not necessary.

@Hooves
Consider the new character setup. You can be a fighter and butcher at the same time. This makes skinning worthwhile when hunting. Alternatively you can still buy carc on the broker.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: ElPerro and Kuroi

Hooves

Nov 30, 2020
this a mmorpg, we should have roles

this is not a farming themepark game
I'm not asking for a themepark. We just shouldn't have to roll 17 different characters to farm a glitched out belbus and make a suit of armor. There were far too many 'primary skills' in MO1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rorry