Butchery.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I don't see butchery on the crafting list found on the MO2 website. Does anyone know if it will be in the game or not?

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I think there is a lot of potential for a butchery system that supports the idea behind it without being terrible. First thing I would do is to start out with the vendors not buying ANY materials. Butchery being the main and most stable income was what drove many towards it in the start.

Next would be to make butchery more interesting and involved. Catalysts, tools etc. to improve your yield and add assosiated skills like tanning as secondaries.

Then have a good trade broker deal where hunters can easily sell their carcass for money.

Edit:
Another idea would be to get rid of the carcass stacks and instead have an actual carcass that you have to transport or skin on the spot. Opens up interesting options such as butchering large animals on the field vs. carrying a bunch of rabits back to town.

Last edited:

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Making vendors not to buy animal parts would make economy healthier.

What should vendors buy instead? In MO1 they bought animal parts, the later added animal drops like Ratzar antennas and most but not all gathered botanic items, also some drops from human mobs like Risar rings.

I think you would like to restrict the vendors to those added animal drops and other human drops. Interesting idea, of cause this would make it much more difficult to get gold coins.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
I´m thinking that it would be better if the "material" player economy (stones, wood, their products and everything crafted from them, pets, plants etc.) and the NPC economy (kill "monsters", pick up trophies, receive gold, buy skill books, pay taxes) to be seperated.

That is why I don´t think vendors should buy materials that are used in crafting. I don´t know how I feel about animal trophies since they were more of a bandaid fix rather than a thought out system. They never really fitted well with the rest of the systems.

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
I just see that with 1 character with both crafting and combat skills there will be tons of butchers and most of them won't bother selling materials to other players and it will be more or less destructive for the economy. Vendors should only buy trophies and less important/profit things. In my eyes they are for selling basic items like pickaxes, bandages etc not to buy

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
If vendors don't buy animal materials, it removes a ready source of income for new players who can't compete for the other source of gold creation, npc dungeons. Remember, there has to be some pathway for gold to enter the economy or no one will have a way to buy anything from other players.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
If vendors don't buy animal materials, it removes a ready source of income for new players who can't compete for the other source of gold creation, npc dungeons. Remember, there has to be some pathway for gold to enter the economy or no one will have a way to buy anything from other players.

Butchery was not a "ready" source at all. It always was the worst way to earn money as a newcomer. I hated it when vets suggested it to new players since it was so awful. Using your first character for mainly standing at a bench and then dumping worthless shit into the vendor? Or better yet, relying on a two character set-up with hunter and butcher? That was a very good way of turning away players from the game.

If there are not enough ways to earn gold for new players, add some bandits or walkers. Not to mention that even a new player could sell the carcass to someone on the trade broker, thus taking part in the player economy. There is no reason why a new player should touch a system like butchery if they are not specifically interested in it. If they are - great - take part in the player economy.

Reactions: ElPerro

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Butchery was not a "ready" source at all. It always was the worst way to earn money as a newcomer. I hated it when vets suggested it to new players since it was so awful. Using your first character for mainly standing at a bench and then dumping worthless shit into the vendor? Or better yet, relying on a two character set-up with hunter and butcher? That was a very good way of turning away players from the game.

If there are not enough ways to earn gold for new players, add some bandits or walkers. Not to mention that even a new player could sell the carcass to someone on the trade broker, thus taking part in the player economy. There is no reason why a new player should touch a system like butchery if they are not specifically interested in it. If they are - great - take part in the player economy.
Problem is new players cannot compete with veterans npc sites, whereas animals are scattered everywhere. Most newbs want to craft, as well. Buying armor and weapons is hard for newbs at the rate that they can make gold on skeletons or bandits when they have to compete with veterans.

A better plan would be to have skinning get all available materials and be a secondary skill. Then newbs can farm for their crafter, be in the wild more, and still not have to compete so closely with veterans while also making some gold.

In MO1, the first guild I was in focused on helping newbs and what we would do is that players with butchers would buy COD carcasses from new players so that they could make some bank and we would use the materials to make gear and sell it on the broker so those new players could get what they needed even if we weren't around. That was long before tc when the population was high and the economy worked fairly well.

Reactions: Teknique

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
My thing is that if you make everything about skinning you might as well just remove butchery and make the animals drop materials.

If you keep the system make it count. Make it interesting. It should not be just busy work that stands between you and the materials you want.

Generally I think SV should be able to provide enough mobs for noobs to kill. Hopefully they will scatter them out instead of creating another noob slaughter house like the graveyards.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
My thing is that if you make everything about skinning you might as well just remove butchery and make the animals drop materials.

If you keep the system make it count. Make it interesting. It should not be just busy work that stands between you and the materials you want.

Generally I think SV should be able to provide enough mobs for noobs to kill. Hopefully they will scatter them out instead of creating another noob slaughter house like the graveyards.
I think it helps noobs if they get useful materials from the creatues they kill instead of super heavy stacks of seemingly useless carcass.

How much more exciting would MO 1 have been if you got all these mystery items every time you killed something?

The gold and useful materials that will flow them to quickly, will certainly keep them excited in the game

Last edited:
Reactions: Rorry

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas

Except that having to skin things would keep people out in the wilderness longer, whereas butchery (which isn't interesting or meaningful) has players spending the time in town or house or palisade. That is a big difference. If you couple that with not having to put extra points into it, it will be something that more characters can do (weapon and armor crafters, for example.)

Reactions: Teknique

Putzin

Oct 14, 2020
I think theres some sort of cool compromise to be had between skinningg and butchering.

Like if you skin them out in the field on the spot without all your fancy butchery appliances you get half of what you would had you taken the time to haul the entire carcass to a butchery table (that also requires a primary skill)

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I think theres some sort of cool compromise to be had between skinningg and butchering.

Like if you skin them out in the field on the spot without all your fancy butchery appliances you get half of what you would had you taken the time to haul the entire carcass to a butchery table (that also requires a primary skill)
Yes, as long as you can get all of the various mats by skinning.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I always liked the idea of butchery being broken down into more actions/skills. With each action possibly requiring different tools as well.

For example pull teeth, skin/scale, cutting /processing meat, ect...

Some actions would have to happen first, like skinning before butcher. Though things like pulling teeth could be bypassed if the player did not want them.

Also the items should go in a loot like bag while being processed. Then at the end players can just take what they actually want and leave the rest.

This type of setup would be closer to what we had at the original release of MO. Where players could take just what they was after and leave the rest.

Allowing hunters to stay in the field longer for more profitable hauls. As well as being more profitable kills for those that hunt the hunters.

It also leaves items in the field giving other players opportunities to scavenge and make a few coins themselves.

Kuroi

May 28, 2020
Naples, Italy
i always loved butchery and the day they implemented it i made a character for it just straight

IMHO this is how it should work:

- npcs can't buy animal parts or any material that can be used for crafting

- skinning and butchery should both be useful and primary skills:
--- butchery lets you yield everything you can from carcasses
--- skinning will result in little less materials and not every one of them, plus you can split the carcass in many stacks, this implies that mobs won't drop many split stacks anymore but just a big one. this way the biggest animals like campodons etc will value more and may be more profitable if you manage to bring them to butchers

- newbs can sell carcasses (the ones they can transport if they don't want skinning for splitting, like wolves and wisents, not bigger stuff) via broker or killing bandits and similar for straight money on the field

this way you will have many "roles" and skill builds i guess:
- a butcher who just wants to butcher safely in town and buys carcasses from people since he doesn't want to pve/doesn't have the proper skills
- a complete butcher guy who can fight the beasts and use skinning and butchery both, depending on what he's looking for
- hunters that can skin their preys alone using skinning on the field, if they got the proper animal lores ofc, and make money out of it
- people who just know how to use a skinning knife (without lores, just owning skinning primary skill) and just want to split the carcasses of the biggest animals to sell via broker or straight to butchers
- lastly people who just kill stuff that they can transport to town and put it into the broker/sell to butchers/butcher them themselves if they are a warrior butcher

just my 2 cents, i may write stupid things ofc

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
i completely agree about ncp vendors not being able to buy animal parts, they shouldn't be able to buy stuff that may mess up with player economy
I understand your intent, the problem is how much that would limit the amount of gold entering the economy.
For example, if the map had the same resources as MO1 a town like Vadda would only have a local economy of around 6 gold worth of bandits per hour plus a few gold worth of skeletons, minus what would be lost to passing marauders which would support less than 1 player and would in no way allow for a robust economy.
Traveling far across the map to farm a dungeon may cover this if MO2 is radically different than 1.
But that is yet to be seen and I am skeptical that that will work both for large and small groups, though it may for an individual.