Braindead melee fighters

Priamus

Dec 17, 2020
Sweden
Even in MO1 I disliked the way intelligence was used as an attribute. It makes no sense that a pure melee fighter should be braindead and a mage should be super intelligent. But at least in MO1 you created different characters depending on profession skills. But now in MO2 it becomes even more strange when you can create a melee fighter with almost zero intelligence that also potentially can become a famous master alchemist, one of the most complex crafts. I think this is just super weird.

It also makes no sense if intelligence affects more action-based features like I expect it to do. Like a high intelligence should reduce the risk of getting robbed, then it’s not fare for those who have these brain-dead warriors. A problem is that with more features added, some should be directly related to the intelligence, like the thievery success chance. But how to create a fair system with a majority of players having so low intelligence??

Personally, I think linking Intelligence with magic damage rate is a huge mistake. There should be another attribute category for magic damage and another for profession skill related intelligence. Perhaps the real intelligence could be a separate system more tied to clades and additional clade gifts? And the attributes used for magic damage should be called something else. This problem will grow at the same rate as the world evolves and is filled with more features that should be related to intelligence.

Last edited:

Priamus

Dec 17, 2020
Sweden
I agree, we should probably change everything in the game to accommodate this.

but at least this onefeature will make sense

Yes, Im aware that it's unlikely that the attribute system will be modified, nevertheless I'm sure the current system will cause a lot of more problems in MO2 than MO1 and a lot of strange work arounds. It might be worth to do a an overhaul in my oppinion.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
There's nothing suggesting that the attribute scales have anything to do with say the IQ of the character. For example, 10 intelligence doesn't mean you're sub-par intelligence, it just means you're not as intelligent as someone with say 20, 30, 40 etc.

There's also an archetypal argument that mages are also to a degree scholars and intellects therefore it does make sense to have the shared intelligence between both trees. It serves to give greater reason to play a mage or better yet a hybrid, giving more depth to your build decision. If you for example, want to do both combat and professions, then you can choose a clade that allows you greater flexibility in doing so. However, if you know you don't want to touch crafting, but want to spend your time in combat, then you have a clade choice for that too in say a Thursar etc.

Reactions: Icegoten

Priamus

Dec 17, 2020
Sweden
There's nothing suggesting that the attribute scales have anything to do with say the IQ of the character. For example, 10 intelligence doesn't mean you're sub-par intelligence, it just means you're not as intelligent as someone with say 20, 30, 40 etc.

There's also an archetypal argument that mages are also to a degree scholars and intellects therefore it does make sense to have the shared intelligence between both trees. It serves to give greater reason to play a mage or better yet a hybrid, giving more depth to your build decision. If you for example, want to do both combat and professions, then you can choose a clade that allows you greater flexibility in doing so. However, if you know you don't want to touch crafting, but want to spend your time in combat, then you have a clade choice for that too in say a Thursar etc.

Intelligence is used both as damage attribute for mages and as IQ for all characters. That is exactly how it is used now and will be further expanded. And it will become a huge problem in MO2!

Currently high intelligence mainly boosts your profession skills. But it will probably be chock for many when thievery is released where the success chance most likely will be exactly as in MO1, where high intelligence greatly reduced the success chance for the thief. Players focusing on melee in MO1 and crafting, had alts with high intelligence for crafting, giving them decent protection against theft. In MO2, a lot (probably a majority) of melee fighters/crafters will have almost no attributes in intelligence making them easy prey when carrying around precious crafting material.

There will be a great need for additional features to react to the character IQ, thievery is just one example.

There are two main fighting styles, magic and melee, (I know there are hybrids etc but these are the main) people mainly choose to create characters based on that. Why should those who not goes for mages automatically have dis-advantages when it comes to profession skills and protection against thievery?

In the future development SV has a need to implement even more features where IQ (intelligence) matters. Either they will continue to give advantages to players who prefer mages or they need to implement very strange work arounds.

My suggestion to correct this problem would be to rename the current “Intelligence” attribute category to some name that better relates that it’s about magic damage. Then create a new Intelligence pool (IQ) based on the clades. The difficulty would be to be able to create a system purely for clades with an attribute span for the players to be able to adjust the intelligence to get alternative advantages with a lower intelligence (IQ).

Last edited:

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
Lmao, another one of the "realism" threads.

Reality does NOT equal good game mechanics.

Why does my sword being swung across a horses legs that's moving full speed not chop them off and instagib it? Same fucking reason that intelligence is low on fighters.

Priamus

Dec 17, 2020
Sweden
Lmao, another one of the "realism" threads.

Reality does NOT equal good game mechanics.

Why does my sword being swung across a horses legs that's moving full speed not chop them off and instagib it? Same fucking reason that intelligence is low on fighters.
No, it's not about realism, you haven't really understood the message here.

If you prefer melee and crafting, you have clear disadvantages compared to those who like magic and crafting.

This problem will likely become bigger when adding more features. The core of this problem is due to the bad implementation of the intelligence/magic damage attributes.

Last edited:

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
No, it's not about realism, you haven't really understood the message here.

If you prefer melee and crafting, you have clear disadvantages compared to those who like magic and crafting.

This problem will likely become bigger when adding more features. The core of this problem is due to the bad implementation of the intelligence/magic damage attributes.

Not sure I agree with you, but your solution is overly complicated. You could overcome the ‘brain dead’ warriors concern by making psyche the magic stat and int the professions/misc bonuses stat. That would make int optional for all combat types, including mages.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
If you want crafting bonus's then put points into int. Its not like you dont reach a base line of being able to craft things a lot of things with 10 int.

Piet

May 28, 2020
When you RP so hard you think it matters that your character has a random low number in his stats that affect in game damage type choices.

Kameyo

Aug 14, 2020
Characters are going to have to read a lot of books something 10 int fighters did not have to do in MO1 because now they are crafters.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Like a high intelligence should reduce the risk of getting robbed, then it’s not fare for those who have these brain-dead warriors.
Certainly never seemed fair to me when in MO1 I was just a Kallard miner / prep cook whose first clue she was being pickpocketed was sometimes simply that stuff was missing. Must have been even worse for Thursar, this price to pay for being strong.

It used to make me slow in the Ether, too, until (shock of shocks) Star Vault actually sped up the painful and punitive process of traveling to where one might come back to life. I think they could change the MO2 IQ gap to be a bit more narrow, as well. As someone said recently, 75 sisn't enough in the Real World for most who will achieve independent living.

Priamus

Dec 17, 2020
Sweden
Not sure I agree with you, but your solution is overly complicated. You could overcome the ‘brain dead’ warriors concern by making psyche the magic stat and int the professions/misc bonuses stat. That would make int optional for all combat types, including mages.

Yes, I think you might be right here, your solution might work better. It’s too late for complex fixes now, but at least I hope they do something to close the gap.

When MO2 releases I think there will be a great shift in how people spend their in-game time. Many will spend much more time gathering, refining and crafting. Also, thievery will most likely be added shortly after, then I fear the effect of this unequal system will be very noticeable.