Beta Patch Notes 0.1.0.47 Discussion

a.out

May 28, 2020
Clade gifts are clearly not optional and there are clade gifts that are quite a bit stronger (or contextually more meaningful) than others, for example night vision or stamina regen. This is quite obviously an intended feature of the game and Henrik specifically said that clade gifs are a means to balance the races.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
its kinda silly to want to balance the races based on attributes alone. clearly clade gifts apply into your build as well as skills (endurance adds 20 stamina after all, that has *some* effect). its as bad as sv trying to 'balance' combat while only melee is possible, before archery/magery and then mounted versions of combat are introduced.

all that being said, i do think oghmirs are kinda getting the short end of the stick. find someone who can whisper sweet nothings into henrik's ear and see if you can get them to mention your complaints

-barcode

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Clade gifts aren't optional but all the clade gifts should be options, which they are not if you have to go for the "op" ones to not get the wrong end of the "balance".

I did not say to balance it by attributes alone, I am saying to balance the whole thing. But this is basically leaving the attributes imbalanced and trying to balance it by making some clade gifts powerful. Which also means you can never have attribute balance at all, because the imbalance is now part of the balance.

In my opinion all that only further hinders variety as it's pushing certain characters even more in certain directions.
Sure, you'll see more variety with humans, but you'll see less variety with everything else.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
The next years they will balance all that i think.
sadly yes it will likely be years before sv 'fixes' any balance issues.

henrik is afraid of upsetting players by making changes (which may require them to in turn adjust their builds to be more optimal). This is an enormous problem because it lets balance go right out the window and i would argue loses them more players than making the changes necessary to at least attempt to keep things balanced.

its one thing if its unclear that whatever system is unbalanced or not, its quite another to wait a year after introducing save zones and allowing guilds to amass near infinite wealth in more or less complete safety before thinking 'hey maybe we should address this'.

people will complain any time you change things and they will complain about things they think need changing. a good game designer will hear all of this and have the wisdom to know what is a valid complaint and what is just whining, and then evaluate the systems to make the appropriate changes. A game designer that lacks the courage to make the necessary changes once it becomes apparent that something isnt functioning as desired is doomed to failure.

-barcode

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
Once again for the balance:

Full size Kallard with 100 Str after creation:

View attachment 1199View attachment 1200

Full size Oghmir with 100 Str after creation:

View attachment 1201View attachment 1202

Aside from the fact that some attributes in character creation don't reflect the correct in-game values
The Kallard has more attribute points left, more damage bonus and more health (which will even expand further with weight bonuses).
There is literally no balance at all, bigger characters just get more of everything, disregarding attribute caps.

the stat caps are different though, meaning that you can push more min-max with an oghmir (for instance for mounted combat or archery). I think humans are supposed to be good at a bit of everything, hence the additional attribute points but lower caps, which in turn will transform in additional bonus skill points for humans.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Some clade gifts have a very strong impact to character builds with their additional primary skill points: For example the Human race has Combat Man. with +50 (!) points, then 4 or 5 times +20 points in the prpfession area, e.g. engineering, and also for the lore skill with +10 points working on 9 different skills (means +90 points in total).

I like the other type of clade gifts more and would very much like to see them only: I mean the clade gifts with addtional functionality like night vision, less fall damage, "observe" something on rocks or plants, can go near to animals, 5% bonus in outcome of alchemy and butchering and extraction and many others. Those gifts don't bother the activity and profession skills, they are just a nice add on.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Some clade gifts have a very strong impact to character builds with their additional primary skill points: For example the Human race has Combat Man. with +50 (!) points, then 4 or 5 times +20 points in the prpfession area, e.g. engineering, and also for the lore skill with +10 points working on 9 different skills (means +90 points in total).
Well yeah, but Oghmir OP. :p

On another topic I really wish we could get the really old targeting back. Where the reticule would only show up with tab to target something and not stay up all the time. I never liked that change.
I don't always want the reticule shown on my screen and I also don't want to change targets every time I hover over something. Once again game design taking away from control.