Auto Ghost walk

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I don't understand the aversion to teleporting as a ghost. We already have convenient features like priest and home priest.
Why force someone to basically not play the game but semi AFK as they ghost from place to place.

Its just a time sink but one you have to be at the desk for to move your character around rocks and change direction as you auto walk.

Why not let people at least teleport to the capitals instead of forcing people to sit in front of a screen auto running as a ghost avoiding rocks.
If people want you to waster time and not instant teleport then have have a system that locks them out of the game for 30 mins so they at least dont have to babysit the ghost and can go be productive IRL.

Imagine instead of running all the way in ghost to MK or Tindrem you can press a button and then AFK doing dishes for 30 min. Then come back and you are in tindrem as a ghost. If you change you mind you can

If people say hey I want spiritist to hunt down people ghosting places then you wont have a lot of people playing your game. Most normal people will just log out and not log back in if they get bannished after running for half a hour to someplace.

Just allowing people to not sink real time into the game means people are more willing to keep playing.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
The massive world would quickly become small, and meaningless.
The worlds is already meaningless as a ghost. What are you going to fight in ghost form. What content is there to participate as a ghost?

Even living its not spectacular content walking from place to place. Forcing people to do so just makes less people interested in the game for no reason other then shallow role playing elements.

The massivness of the world like most of the game is just a facade. You realize its shallow after many hours of playing.

Reactions: Jatix

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
Exactly, ghost walking is nothing but a time sink, nobody can kill you, you cant kill anything, you cant even see anything. You are just out of the world for an extended period of time for absolutely no reason. They should just allow teleporting to any guarded town as a ghost and make the time scale depending on how far you are from that town, you cannot transport materials as a ghost anyways, it takes absolutely nothing away from the gameplay.

Reactions: Tzone

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
Most content they could possibly provide you is a random wandering spiritist sending you back the wrong direction to a priest you dont want to be at.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I agree with the game needing ghost fast travel. Its not like you can transport materials with it.

One could argue that with ghost fast travel more people would be out in the world because they could actually teleport to the town they want to be at, and go out from there. Having to ghost across the world to get to where you want to be is so lame id rather just not log in. Why ghost for 30 mins so I can then walk out into the world and take even longer. The ghost time shouldnt even be there.

Banespike

Apr 14, 2021
for me its fine like it is..
if you can teleport to locations you can be everywhere almost instant. fab no action? lets port mk and check there.. ohh also no action? lets port meduli and look there.

Sure its a time sink.. but its a good one! the game dont want you to be everywhere in seconds.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
for me its fine like it is..
if you can teleport to locations you can be everywhere almost instant. fab no action? lets port mk and check there.. ohh also no action? lets port meduli and look there.

Sure its a time sink.. but its a good one! the game dont want you to be everywhere in seconds.

Well the systems being asked for is teleport in ghostmode but it takes a certain amount of time to get there. So there is no instant teleport to which ever city. It would be teleport to meduli but there is a 10 min AFK countdown so you dont have a IRL time sink just a ingame one.

I dont know how people think its good to not play a game but still force you to be at the keyboard. I think people havent walked in ghost mode enought to get tired of it. Maybe they will change there minds after they start getting more hours into the game.

Piet

May 28, 2020
I agree with the ghost teleport. I have brought this up to many people and the only convincing argument I have heard against it is that it unintentionally helps spread out zerg alliances and such because if anything happens anywhere they can be there instantly to help fight as long as they have gear there or such. Personally I think that would be a pretty negligible impact and still would favor adding ghost teleport.

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
If they added teleport. Wouldnt that kinda ruin the whole point of spiritism, like being able to chase those spirits and banish people etc?

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Although I mostly agree with the time sink of ghost travelling being annoying, as Piet pointed out there are some factors to consider here and it's not just a pointless time sink.

If you can teleport to any guarded town it lessens the existence of regional conflict.

Imagine you're in Toxai and through friends or allies you learn there is a fight going on outside Tindrem, currently you would think not much of it as the fight will be over by the time you ghost over there, but being able to teleport over there easily to participate means most fights outside or near towns will have a lot more people in them, as everyone is now essentially citizens of Myrland, and not mostly just citizens of the town they choose to live in.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it is a factor nonetheless.

I also believe it's intended for you to choose a region of the map and live out of there, instead of constantly travelling back and forth over the map on a daily basis for the above reason.

That said, I think there could be some good ideas on how to speed up ghost travelling without resorting to an extremely long timer teleport. Perhaps we can move through the grey halls and pop out at different places, like a maze that you can learn to use to get around easier than travelling over the map, although that's obviously not a quick fix.

Also, the existence of spirit NPCs will give you something to think about when ghost travelling in the future, but this doesn't do much to affect the concern of travel times other than potentially making it harder.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Until the Ether world itself is a game, navigating it is a punishment for dying. I don't think it qualifies as gamified, yet, despite Spiritism. I don't think dying should be punished by more than ending up as a loot bag. I understand the Star Vault wish for folks without player friends who can Resurrect them to have a time sink determined by how far they are from the NPC priest at their post-mortem destination. But the time is almost equally sunk by filling it with an automatic ghost walk, or seeing scenes from your recent Mortal life flash before your eyes (would take too many computing, serving,and netwwork resources), or just a black screen blank except for the words "You Have Died".

Would the Spiritists be missing that much by not hunting your ghost? If it would be some kind of real contest, then I hope they get the frequent opportunity to do that, because apparently they have a hell of a time. As long as your ghost might win.

If there come to be Demons, or some NPC soul-eaters to avoid in the Eather world, it would be time to re-assess and adapt.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Although I mostly agree with the time sink of ghost travelling being annoying, as Piet pointed out there are some factors to consider here and it's not just a pointless time sink.

If you can teleport to any guarded town it lessens the existence of regional conflict.
This is solved by having a time constraint attached. The time to travel is still there but now you personally dont have to be at the keyboard. It will take about the same time to travel. The only difference is that one time sink is wastefull and annoying to balance making you not want to travel because of the inconvenience. The other is purely mathematical for balance.

Fore the excuse of spirtist, really. You want to make people just quit the game. Imainge traveling half way only to get spiritisted back across the map. Absolute cancer and not content for the ghost. I don't even consider it gameplay if its just so on sided like that. Might as well go to graveyard in full steel to kill newbs.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
The massive world would quickly become small, and meaningless.

Mortal Online 1 was significantly smaller in size and ghosting still took ages to do and was immensely unfun.

Your own statement contradicts the current priest system anyway, in MO1 you couldn't just teleport to a priest you had assigned as your 'home priest'. You died in GK and wanted to go back to Tindrem? You had to ghost there.

So uh, no. Stop trying to push this narrative that your massive, immersive world is going to get shattered even though MO2's world is only one of those things and not the other.

D

Dracu

This is solved by having a time constraint attached. The time to travel is still there but now you personally dont have to be at the keyboard. It will take about the same time to travel. The only difference is that one time sink is wastefull and annoying to balance making you not want to travel because of the inconvenience. The other is purely mathematical for balance.

Fore the excuse of spirtist, really. You want to make people just quit the game. Imainge traveling half way only to get spiritisted back across the map. Absolute cancer and not content for the ghost. I don't even consider it gameplay if its just so on sided like that. Might as well go to graveyard in full steel to kill newbs.
Urgh more afk time, exactly what this game needs :D cant we have ghost mode highways? That would atleast be visually pleasing and be something done active. Loved the space highway in x4.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Urgh more afk time, exactly what this game needs :D cant we have ghost mode highways? That would atleast be visually pleasing and be something done active. Loved the space highway in x4.
I would just have it be instant with some other cost. Even saying only capitals was a concession to make it more likely to get implemented.

Reactions: Dracu

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
Just making ghost able to walk on water would make it more fun and effective to travel as ghost, just like in WoW.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Yeah it's kind of funny because now players are forced to use mounts if they wish to get anywhere in a decent time, but people want ghost mode to be this harsh punishment because you died.

I don't think people realize just how many things can randomly kill you, accident or purposefully, or even how bugs can kill you as well. I hope all the people who love the time sink of ghosting somewhere get stuck bouncing between two rocks, die, and then have to go all the way back to where they came from only to go back and try to get their items.

I envy your guys time sink and immersive mindsets, it'll go far I'm sure.