If you don't like the rep system you can live in lawless camps or guild keeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
The reputation system is bad because it's an imaginary force dictating morals in a sandbox game where morals aren't black and white.

Is killing someone in the game bad? Not always.

You're telling me you've never been attacked then had to defend yourself and suffered because of it? Doubt it if you say you didn't.

The reputation system also has a boring gameplay loop. The options to raise rep need to expand, the caps of rep need to expand, and reputation loss as a whole should be re-worked.

@Toerin Stop speaking for the developers and brown nosing 24/7 like they have some godly vision of an impeccable game. Stop telling people to go play Mordhau, stop telling people the system is working. It's been demonstrated in both hypothetical and real situations in game why the system is flawed.

You tell people to not expect a game to fit their specific likes, by this logic any change implemented good or bad must be accepted and supported.

"I'm really glad they added Chronomancy into the game. Freezing players for ten seconds with a spell so I can kill them with no resistance is fun. At the end of the day play what you like, just don't expect a game to change to fit your specific likes. Maybe you should go play Mordhau."

You think you aren't saying this, but you are. This is how silly it is to read your argument. The system effects both EVIL players and GOOD players. If anything it hinders GOOD players more so because EVIL players are allowed the advantage of the first strike. Then what? Report them? Wow, what a good solution to the game. Just report them until they're unable to access any town while the game lacks any sufficient means to operate outside of them.

"thEN maybe u shOuldnt kill ppl!!"

What happens when you have people like @Evelyn giving a detailed case about how players can attack you in groups and both sides take rep loss, even though one side is the aggressor? I guess just listen to this guy @Piet and stand still and don't fight. LOL

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
I'll even follow up to my post and say this.

If SV added rep gains from turning in heads or items that you loot from hostile mobs such as skeletons, bandits, risars, etc.

That would immediately stop people from getting griefed right outside of towns. Want to know why?

Those supposed ""toxic pvp players"" that the system is so JUSTIFIABILY trying to stop would now be out in the world competing with other groups over spawns, but...

Guess what?

REP LOSS WOULD STILL EFFECT THEM TOO!

So you see, at the end of the day it doesn't matter if it's bad versus bad, good versus bad, or good versus good; no one wins with this reputation system. Especially considering we have consensual wars in the game. We can't even fight people that cause us problems in or outside of towns without risking being kicked out. What a stupid system.

Toerin

Dec 19, 2021
The reputation system is bad because it's an imaginary force dictating morals in a sandbox game where morals aren't black and white.

Is killing someone in the game bad? Not always.

You're telling me you've never been attacked then had to defend yourself and suffered because of it? Doubt it if you say you didn't.

The reputation system also has a boring gameplay loop. The options to raise rep need to expand, the caps of rep need to expand, and reputation loss as a whole should be re-worked.

@Toerin Stop speaking for the developers and brown nosing 24/7 like they have some godly vision of an impeccable game. Stop telling people to go play Mordhau, stop telling people the system is working. It's been demonstrated in both hypothetical and real situations in game why the system is flawed.

You tell people to not expect a game to fit their specific likes, by this logic any change implemented good or bad must be accepted and supported.

"I'm really glad they added Chronomancy into the game. Freezing players for ten seconds with a spell so I can kill them with no resistance is fun. At the end of the day play what you like, just don't expect a game to change to fit your specific likes. Maybe you should go play Mordhau."

You think you aren't saying this, but you are. This is how silly it is to read your argument. The system effects both EVIL players and GOOD players. If anything it hinders GOOD players more so because EVIL players are allowed the advantage of the first strike. Then what? Report them? Wow, what a good solution to the game. Just report them until they're unable to access any town while the game lacks any sufficient means to operate outside of them.

"thEN maybe u shOuldnt kill ppl!!"

What happens when you have people like @Evelyn giving a detailed case about how players can attack you in groups and both sides take rep loss, even though one side is the aggressor? I guess just listen to this guy @Piet and stand still and don't fight. LOL
1. I actually haven’t encountered any person in the game who hasn’t greeted me with a hello or heal instead of just kos without anything being said. So this whole thing seemed silly when I heard about the “protest”

2. nobody has a gun to you’re head you don’t have to accept it and stay. Nobody hasever said that because that’s not a thing. This is a game one that people CHOOSE to play. If you don’t like the game do what the other people with common sense did and find one you like. If there was something that made the game boring for me I’d just PLAY ANOTHER GAME lol.

3. brown nosing? Really? Lol they are literally just making a game. They haven’t made it pay to play or sell peoples data. They are literally just programming gameplay lol. Protest when they do shit that actually effects people’s real lives lol

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
The last pvp mmo I played was Crowfall and that had 0 rep system and even not full gear lose just durability. The problem was that you'd just get kos'd by zergs every ten minutes. It wasn't exciting or fun like pvp should be. It was just like 'oh damn guess I got to spend another 30 minutes getting back now'. I think pvp MMOs are at their best without kos, because then it leads to more social, and interesting interactions. And it makes pvp encounters more exciting rather than just an annoyance. Because attacked by someone every 10 minutes gets old quick

Reactions: Toerin

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
The last pvp mmo I played was Crowfall and that had 0 rep system and even not full gear lose just durability. The problem was that you'd just get kos'd by zergs every ten minutes. It wasn't exciting or fun like pvp should be. It was just like 'oh damn guess I got to spend another 30 minutes getting back now'. I think pvp MMOs are at their best without kos, because then it leads to more social, and interesting interactions. And it makes pvp encounters more exciting rather than just an annoyance. Because attacked by someone every 10 minutes gets old quick

So what about people who wish to socially interact with you in the form of being a bandit?

Falcar

Dec 18, 2021
Norway
This is a game one that people CHOOSE to play. If you don’t like the game do what the other people with common sense did and find one you like.

We need to be able to critisize and discuss game mechanics in a meaningful and constructive way. I can't imagine the devs are all-knowing, and understand the impossibly complex issues that follows different tweaks, changes and additions to the game. Are we not supposed to voice our opinion at all? Should we just run to another game whenever something doesn't strike our fancy? And could you name a game that is EXACTLY like this game, except the rep system is different?

Ultimately it's up to the devs to make decisions on how to run the game. But listening to your playerbase and constructively evaluating their feedback is an essential part of making a game good.

Kuthara

Jan 4, 2021
Haha, if every red guild in the game all decided to co-exist peacefully in GK you have no idea how bad it would really be for blue guilds.

Pretty much exactly what happens every few months across the entire history of MO1.

Reactions: KermyWormy

Toerin

Dec 19, 2021
We need to be able to critisize and discuss game mechanics in a meaningful and constructive way. I can't imagine the devs are all-knowing, and understand the impossibly complex issues that follows different tweaks, changes and additions to the game. Are we not supposed to voice our opinion at all? Should we just run to another game whenever something doesn't strike our fancy? And could you name a game that is EXACTLY like this game, except the rep system is different?

Ultimately it's up to the devs to make decisions on how to run the game. But listening to your playerbase and constructively evaluating their feedback is an essential part of making a game good.
You are the consumer. They are the devs. It super simple. Your input in development starts and ends at the review page on steam. If you don’t like something about the game leave a bad review and if it’s an unplayable game, don’t play it. At the end of the day this is a product, not a collaboration. They are selling it to you, not forcing you at gunpoint to buy it. I think we can both agree that forcing others to leave a game by griefing new players just because YOU don’t like what the game is, is a bit childish. If enough of you leave the game then they will take notice

Falcar

Dec 18, 2021
Norway
I think we can both agree that forcing others to leave a game by griefing new players just because YOU don’t like what the game is, is a bit childish.

We both agree on that, but giving constructive feedback is still very important to make a good game.

Toerin

Dec 19, 2021
We both agree on that, but giving constructive feedback is still very important to make a good game.
Sure. But at the end of the day the decision is made by the devs, because they are the ones making it. We are the ones playing it

Toerin

Dec 19, 2021
There is no lawfull in this game. Its winners of any fight lose rep and receive murder counts. PvP is just PvP but people cry and start making categories for everything. Going grey doesnt mean you were the aggressor at all.
Irl, Would you be considered lawful or unlawful if you killed someone outside of a battlefield?

Toerin

Dec 19, 2021
In real life if you murder someone out in the wilderness, there is no one to give you a murder count. Whats your point?

So in the game, where a player can be brought back to life after being murdered, that would mean there would always be a witness to that murder. Right?

Deathshroud

Dec 2, 2021
Well you're lucky then. I don't go negative either, but that involves a lot of running with parcels. I don't understand how come a system that was intended to punish PKs punishes me while i never killed an innocent player (that is, untagged, friendly, or not in a hostile guild). And i am not a thursar. Omg my heart bleeds for thursars.

Sounds more like an issue with the wardec system though

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
So in the game, where a player can be brought back to life after being murdered, that would mean there would always be a witness to that murder. Right?
You should be able to talk to any guards and tell them someone killed you, and have them get rep loss, even if it didnt actually happen. And then when the guards realize that system is garbage, they can start only giving rep loss when they saw it inside the town, which makes much more sense. And then we will have an actually hardcore open pvp game.

Toerin

Dec 19, 2021
You should be able to talk to any guards and tell them someone killed you, and have them get rep loss, even if it didnt actually happen. And then when the guards realize that system is garbage, they can start only giving rep loss when they saw it inside the town, which makes much more sense. And then we will have an actually hardcore open pvp game.
If that’s what the game is (hardcore pvp only) then we wouldn’t be having this discussion because the game would be set up to be pvp only and you wouldn’t be complaining about the game mechanics. “This boat is all wrong! It doesn’t even have wheels! How am I supposed to drive this thing on land without wheels!?” Lolol

Status
Not open for further replies.