Young Razorbacks = Hot, Archery = Not?

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Hey all,

Enjoying poking through Haven and the new content. I've been playing with other new folk so spending more time in Haven.

A couple things have come up, I'm just curious of others thoughts.

1. Are Young Razorbacks the Dragons of Haven? We found a little bandit camp off on the East (I think?) edge of Haven, past Fab Tower. Bandits felt like a great upgrade from the walkers, faster attacks, armored etc. The three of us took one down with not too much effort and they gave a nice pure silver reward that was an upgrade over the walkers. Then I hear one of my friends being attacked by a pig and I'm like, ok, I'll go help. by the time I get there, both of them are dead and the boar is going after me. It seemed to attack maybe.... twice as fast as the bandit, and it was very hard to tell if the attacks were directional at all. It killed me as well, and then killed me about 3-4 more times as I tried to come back and find my body. Any idea of if this is intentional/gonna be a tweaked? It feels a bit off to be training new people in Haven against walkers/bandits to learn the mechanics, then have an animal that just kills you using a completely different form of combat.

2. An aside, is it intended that if you die in tall grass (which is pretty common) you are just straight up not going to find your body? That feels like a sort of... anti accessibility/new player friendly mechanic. But yeah, that area with the razorbacks is just a huge field on the side of a hill and we spent probably 20 minutes dogding razorbacks and just trying to find our body with no luck. How about a very faint sparkle, or if you want to stay lore-focused, a skill (tracking?) or spell that makes it more visible?

3. Is Archery just intended to be bad/not a mainline gameplay focus? One of my friends (and ESO, the biggest streamer to showcase MO2 so far) tried to "focus" on archery, however it just seems nowhere near as effective as melee. He could do about 20% of a walker's health in the time it took me to kill one with a dagger, and the arrows cost money. You can see that in ESO's video, he has to actually cut multiple times and get a bandit stuck on a rock to kill it with a bow after like 30 arrows. If archery is meant to just be supplementary damage or an opener before melee, ok (though maybe that should be communicated) but it appears to be a fully fledged method of gameplay given the dedicated crafting lines, stations, skills and even clade gifts.

4. Is it intended that mobs basically don't have a leashing distance? The razorbacks are a good maybe 3-5 minute run full out from Haven's town, and after one aggro'ed on me, it followed me all the way back to town, killed me outside the gates, then was waiting for me after I spawned right outside. I had to pull it back into town to have the guards kill it. It's like a horror movie. But yeah, that level of leashing doesn't seem fun or realistic.

Thanks ya'll, curious about your thoughts. Digging the latest patch though, starting to finally feel like a game!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zethes

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Aggro is broken and mobs will chase you forever since they will eventually deaggro but their aggro range is so long they just instantly aggro back on you even if you manage to get away. And they dont have stamina so they will eventually catch up to you, even if you somehow managed to gain some distance.

Razorbacks cant be parried or blocked, hit hard even through clade gifts and armor, run too fast and swing too fast.

*shrug*

Reactions: Zethes

a.out

May 28, 2020
I doubt anyone ever won a fight vs a young razorback. They are probably the toughest mobs in the game right now (at least outside of haven). They seem to hit harder than elder razorbacks and teleport to you instantly. Bows wont fix that

Reactions: Bloodterst

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
The reason why archery seems so weak is because the bows that you buy from the vendor are literal trash. Gotta make the bow yourself to get something useful

Reactions: RaptorBlackz

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
The reason why archery seems so weak is because the bows that you buy from the vendor are literal trash. Gotta make the bow yourself to get something useful
Crafted bows are pretty good. If npcs wouldnt get stuck so much in places they aren't really broken in any way PVE wise. Against players, especially those wearing any kind of armor Extremely low damage, but they are situationally strong, depending on terrain, if you are in a group etc.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
by the way its acting it’s completely obvious that that’s not a young Razorback, that’s an RPK and GUTs love child in disguise.

Reactions: Rorry

Zethes

Mar 19, 2021
I honestly hope they patch this soon, especially before the 25th! People will not like these broken razorbacks at all. And it seems that all aggressive animals have really bad animations and movement/attack speeds. Young Wolves are also very fast and "twitchy". Similarly to how tamed Horses at least used to follow you, but the patch notes mentioned that they fixed the horse twitchiness. IMO they should do the same for all aggro animals as it's unrealistic and broken for them to move and attack like that.