Worried about Tower Shields that they could ruin the catchup mechanics (how should we catch an Alvarin with a towershield on his back) ?

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
In this game players are running faster in Combat mode. Getting them below 60 % health make them regain no stamina while running while walking. In combat mode the Alvarin holds his shield infront of him. Then he could be shot with a bow, to get him below 60 % but what if the alvarin run outside combat mode ? The Alvarin have the same speed if he run outside combat mode as a human while running in combat mode.

The Alvarin with a tower shield could gain distance while running outside combat mode with 2 of his speed buffs active and then continiue to run outside combat mode with a towershield on his back, being invulnerable against arrows ! You can´t shoot him with the bow to drop him below 60 % health, so that his stamima regeneration is slower to keep up with him ! He could run forever and this would suck and break the catchup mechanics, if the shields are not properly balanced !

I personally hated the Lion Shield in Mo1 and i am very sad that it return as a craftable shield in Mo2 !
It is so hard to get behind a shield, becuase you not even have to block in the proper direction, but just turn your character, so your opponents get equipment hits. The Tower shield is huge, making it way to difficult to not get equipment hits, if he turn with you !

There need to be some counter ! Maybe a kick that stagger or knock your opponent down, if he get kicked after holding the block with a shield for too long time.
The shield user could get knocked down, if you hold the block for longer then 3 seconds if he get kicked ? I think that would eb fair ! What do you guys think ?

I have heard from many veteran players that they are not looking forward to the Tower Shield at all, becuase it was op in MO1 ! In MO1 it was a rare drop, so not so many players used it. In MO1 everyone can could carry a crafted towershield in their inventory and i don´t like that !

Also a mounted Archer is useless then, if everyone have a towershield in his bag !

Last edited:

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Your counter isnt even applicable to the situation you described.

I don´t know how to balance that ! Maybe a good damage spell, that you can cast while moving that ignore the shield, to get him under 60 % health ? What ideas do you guys have ?

Maybe the tower shield should burn your Stamina 2 times as much, so players only equip it to construct manganons, if they are playing stationary to protect against raining arrows during a siege ?

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
lol , people complaining that there mounted archer wont be op anymore gives me the giggles. it also helps mounted magery so thats nice.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
lol , people complaining that there mounted archer wont be op anymore gives me the giggles. it also helps mounted magery so thats nice.

The problem is that the shield is a craftable item, that everybody can have in his bag and not a rare item that sometimes dropped in chests. Most worried i am about the catchup machanics. MA will be nerfed if SV make it harder to aim and that you have hold your breath to aim.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
The problem is that the shield is a craftable item, that everybody can have in his bag and not a rare item that sometimes dropped in chests. Most worried i am about the catchup machanics. MA will be nerfed if SV make it harder to aim and that you have hold your breath to aim.

why would a shield be a rare item. making it craftable is good for crafters and the economy.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
Make the tower shields have a very high strength requirement, weigh considerably more than non-tower shields, and slows you down when it is equipped. Problem solved.

sooooo u just wanna make them useless for mages... hah whata joke if that happens.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
why would a shield be a rare item. making it craftable is good for crafters and the economy.
The issue is shields can be made for dirt cheap. So if its an op item, thats worth nothing, that people can easily make, you have a balance issue.

I was never a big fan of MO1 non craftable op items. But they need to make the craftable versions of these op items worse. Unless they are made of top end materials obviously. A tung shield is much better than a bone shield, but even a bone shield on your back still significantly lowers bow damage. Especially if you are wearing godo armor with it.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
They will most likely weight more and drain more stamina when blocking. Shields aren't that much of a problem, on melee it limits you to 1 hand weapons and drains a lot of stamina, on a mage it helps with the lack of defenses, but it's no like you hit them for 0.

2Op4Scrubs

Sep 11, 2021
Im going to play devil's advocate.

No, for 2 reasons.
#1: Heavy ass armor does not slow the player down. The only people that are getting fucked over with armor is mages, with mana regin. Armor should be reworked imo. Armor is know/proven to be very restrictive of movement. That is not shown in game in any aspect, as long as you have the armor training you can carry as much as possible. Armor is extremely heavy and encumbering. It should take tons of stamina to be able to fight properly with it. So with that being said. Id like to see not only the weapon weight control the swing speed and stamina drain, but also the equipped armor. 👺

#2 From another real life viewpoint. Carrying stuff on the back is the least encumbering way to transport stuff. It may make you off balance. But if the load is close to a persons body and not extended far from the actual body. The center of gravity remains the same. Reducing the chance to be knocked off balance by movement. Seeing how it is a shield it will be very close to the body and should not induce any debuffs.
The mage gets 2 wear 2kg of armor with no debuff. There is no combination of materials that can give more then 40 defense and cover the full body, while also being under 2kg.

Make the tower shields have a very high strength requirement, weigh considerably more than non-tower shields, and slows you down when it is equipped. Problem solved.

I think the stamina drain should be considerable when blocking/parring for low strength characters. But to make the shield give an instant debuff to anyone just for having it equipped is madness, and would be a waist of SV time because no body in their right fucking mind is ever going to use it.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I think the stamina drain should be considerable when blocking/parring for low strength characters. But to make the shield give an instant debuff to anyone just for having it equipped is madness, and would be a waist of SV time because no body in their right fucking mind is ever going to use it.
Tower shields by their very nature are designed for a very specific function, that being to present a formidable front that advances slowly or holds a static position without falling apart to intense enemy attacks.

It isn't meant to be just like all the other shields.

Most if not all of us have a general idea of what that looks like. The Romans used it for their testudo formation, the Greeks their shield wall at Thermopylae, the modern riot police to push back a protesting crowd, etc.

For the purpose of MO2, the tower shield will be used by those with exceptional strength and and constitution, like the Thursars and Kallards for example. It will be used for frontline shield tanking, allowing the more squishy characters behind them to provide support and gain ground in pvp without being splattered into a pulp, for example.

But to make the tower shield equippable without any kind of movement penalty will turn it into the shield that everyone will use and ditch all the others.

Don't be upset when that short thief pilfers from you and runs off without a scratch because they have a tower shield on their back and they can still parkour and sprint like Road Runner from Looney Tunes on steroids.

2Op4Scrubs

Sep 11, 2021
Tower shields by their very nature are designed for a very specific function, that being to present a formidable front that advances slowly or holds a static position without falling apart to intense enemy attacks.

It isn't meant to be just like all the other shields.

Most if not all of us have a general idea of what that looks like. The Romans used it for their testudo formation, the Greeks their shield wall at Thermopylae, the modern riot police to push back a protesting crowd, etc.

For the purpose of MO2, the tower shield will be used by those with exceptional strength and and constitution, like the Thursars and Kallards for example. It will be used for frontline shield tanking, allowing the more squishy characters behind them to provide support and gain ground in pvp without being splattered into a pulp, for example.

But to make the tower shield equippable without any kind of movement penalty will turn it into the shield that everyone will use and ditch all the others.

Don't be upset when that short thief pilfers from you and runs off without a scratch because they have a tower shield on their back and they can still parkour and sprint like Road Runner from Looney Tunes on steroids.

All of this is irrelevant. The statement I made is to justify the use on back. Not in hand using it to block and such.
I plan on being a short theif so I will be the one making ppl upset. The shield should not give a debuff when it is just holstered on the back.

IT IS QUITE FUCKING MORONIC TO SAY THAT AN 8KG SHILD SHOULD GIVE AN EQUIP DEBUF BUT 10KG+ ARMOR IS FINE TO HAVE NO DEBUFF! :eek:

Also If you look at the Pavis shield it is no different then a tower shield. They were used by archers and crossbowmen alike.
Archers and crossbow men rarely ever seen hand to hand combat. Because they did not use heavy armor, and relied on a big heavy shield to protect them. The did not want to sacrifice the movement heavy armor impedes on, Thus causing them to use tower shields....

It sounds like you are just scared of your FF chad getting made to look like a fool. :devilish:

Last edited:

Xronim

Aug 13, 2020
theyre likely going to be garbage and an ogh longbow/asym will still likely pierce through it for 10s.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
A thread that made a difference it seems. This should be copied up for posterity.
Okay; just for you, and for @finegamingconnoisseur :

... for as long as the Internet Archive lives.