Will pet killing cause standing loss?

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
Horse HP is fine, it's only a steppe horse. Tanky, slower mounts are going to be added.

Steppe horses were decent all rounders. The current HP feels more like a Desert Horse and a relatively low HP one even.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Steppe horses were decent all rounders. The current HP feels more like a Desert Horse and a relatively low HP one even.
Mounts are intentionally being made worse than MO1, there's going to be more severe tradeoffs in MO2, which is good. Horse armor isn't added yet either.

Reactions: LivingshadeNL

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
It's a valid tactic, which will mean a lot more on persistent and when other horse types + breeding is added.

It's a way to assert dominance in your territory and not wanting people in your town. It's also a viable way to deprive your enemy of something very valuable, a mount. Not only is it inconvenient but if done at the right time, can gimp an MC/MA or Fat mage. It's also a way to exhaust enemy resources.

Then there's the shady horse trader tactic from MO1. Kill peoples mounts during slow periods of mount sales, so it forces them to buy another mount - Your mounts. Killing off the competitions mounts is a good way to monopolize too.

Only issue right now is it's just too easy to do it, and has minimal repercussions. Which is understandable, despite the game being labelled "beta" it's still very much an Alpha in terms of features and mechanics.

Oh I'm fine with people doing it if they receive the appropriate consequences. Mount killing because it has zero consequences shouldn't be a playstyle though. If people want to act like a red they should just be a red.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
Horse HP is fine, it's only a steppe horse. Tanky, slower mounts are going to be added.

It's a valid tactic, which will mean a lot more on persistent and when other horse types + breeding is added.

It's a way to assert dominance in your territory and not wanting people in your town. It's also a viable way to deprive your enemy of something very valuable, a mount. Not only is it inconvenient but if done at the right time, can gimp an MC/MA or Fat mage. It's also a way to exhaust enemy resources.

Then there's the shady horse trader tactic from MO1. Kill peoples mounts during slow periods of mount sales, so it forces them to buy another mount - Your mounts. Killing off the competitions mounts is a good way to monopolize too.

Only issue right now is it's just too easy to do it, and has minimal repercussions. Which is understandable, despite the game being labelled "beta" it's still very much an Alpha in terms of features and mechanics.
I don't think hiding 2 buildings over out of reach from guards and sniping pets screams "Dominance". Oh maybe getting a bunch of nakeds with the starter sword to surround and stab a mount to death is "dominance"? At what point do you wake up and realize how silly this sounds?

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
I don't think hiding 2 buildings over out of reach from guards and sniping pets screams "Dominance". Oh maybe getting a bunch of nakeds with the starter sword to surround and stab a mount to death is "dominance"? At what point do you wake up and realize how silly this sounds?
Either you failed to read or lack reading comprehension, or you're attempting the basics of forum PvP - Aka selective argument.
Since I'm a nice guy, I'll quote for you
In regards to your selective argument and lack of understanding, when it comes to laying claim to a town and holding it or simply moving in on an enemies town and being a nuisance, it's not all fair fun n games, outside of more conventional PvP. There's wardecs, mount slayings, crafter gankings, extraction gankings, afk gankings etc etc All viable ways to make people NOT want to be there. Maybe you're new and don't really have that experience from the first game or just haven't really experience open PvP games.

It's a totally viable way to assert your claim over land/territory in an unconventional manner. Like I said, right now it's too easy to achieve.

Last edited:
Reactions: LivingshadeNL

Konrad

Feb 24, 2021
Ireland
Im going to list a guide step by step how to be cancer in this game and why this thread exists in the first place:

1. afk chop some wood (any)
2. kill few zombies
3. butcher them for bonetissue
4. craft a bank full of bows that will kill any horse in 3 hits
5. Kill horses 24/7
6. Call yourself good at the game

It's this fucking easy lol, I know we had same shit in mo1 but it was harder to pull off, bows werent hitting so hard and horses were harder to kill, meaning; it was harder to start this 'operation' for griefers as they had to farm better materials and needed a 1.Butcher 2.Bow Crafter 3.Griefer character, now you can do all 3 on a single guy with minimal effort, knowledge and dont even have to leave the town for any of the materials, you dont lose anything and GMs either dont give a fuck or are way to damn busy with other bigger issues. Naturally all of this will be patched ? Either through a tweak on the reputation as some people mentioned or by nerfing bows and/or boosting horse hp/defenses

In no way this comment is a rant that griefers bad etc I dont care, griefers are necessary in this game, no one should feel safe anywhere in this game without fear they cant lose shit, but it shouldnt be this fucking easy to pull off with 0 loss.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
Either you failed to read or lack reading comprehension, or you're attempting the basics of forum PvP - Aka selective argument.
Since I'm a nice guy, I'll quote for you

In regards to your selective argument and lack of understanding, when it comes to laying claim to a town and holding it or simply moving in on an enemies town and being a nuisance, it's not all fair fun n games, outside of more conventional PvP. There's wardecs, mount slayings, crafter gankings, extraction gankings, afk gankings etc etc All viable ways to make people NOT want to be there. Maybe you're new and don't really have that experience from the first game or just haven't really experience open PvP games.

It's a totally viable way to assert your claim over land/territory in an unconventional manner. Like I said, right now it's too easy to achieve,.

It's not a lack of understanding, It's quite the opposite. I don't want you to be able to kill pets in town for free, and I gave examples of how you can do that. These are not just silly beta antics, these are things that were happening for the entire existence of MO1. I want it to change, So add a reputation hit for killing mounts so that you don't do that crap in the town you are wanting to make your base. Feel free to do it in another factions town, in my mind that is the whole point of having a reputation system. You get to choose a place that is your home and likes you, and the rest of the towns you can go wild on.

Also, if you want to be a prick that kills anyone that goes into your town go to a lawless town or make your own. You should not get to kill pets in a faction-based town without a real reputation loss. You are not being a good citizen (or guest) of that faction by killing other resident's property.

See the issue here is you have this insane "veteran MO1" mentality that sees the entire game as nothing but pvp when it just is not. Despite what you experienced in MO1 I do not want to see this game flop again because the devs mindlessly focus on nothing but the pvp side of things. There should be some security within a faction-guarded town without having to suck the dong of the guild that spends the most time getting their peons to run around naked killing pets and afk players.

Last edited:

Northern Rooster

Apr 7, 2021
It should. Not just 2 minute grey. The map is huge and getting pets takes alot of effort now.

Opinions?

Hang on a minute. Are you trying to say the map is too big? Heretic!

Don't worry though, horses will soon have 1 million hp's armour, and probably become heat seeking unblockable torspedos and you won't have to worry about less than 5 people being able to kill one in under the 5 minutes it takes you to bank and leave town again.

Kovah Temsik

May 3, 2021
Stat/skill loss on death and fix guard AI so they actually kill griefers. The main reason griefing is popular in game is because you can run around naked casting or using bone/leather gear and you lose nothing of any value when you die. If there's a chance to lose a couple levels of advanced creature control or some shit that takes forever to level people might reconsider fucking around in towns all day.

Reactions: Fisher(Sath)

PatWins

May 28, 2020
I think you should lose rep (small amount) instantly if a guard spots you as criminal. That would help with mindless mount killing etc.

Reactions: Ibarruri

Silenko

Jun 18, 2020
Benidorm. Spain
I think losing rep for a pet isn't the solution: I dont think any faction in game cares about pets, honestly: They are just pets, whether you like it or not, some easy to tame and others harder, but pets.

Problem as I see it is that criminal is too short and guards are not working so people is free to do all this without consequences.

When we get functioning guards and a longer criminal flag for criminal actions, you won't see people griefing that much in town because it won't be worth to kill a horse etc.

[AF]Tyrone

Dec 17, 2020
They need to make real safezones or bring back statloss. Statloss is a very important mechanic which was removed/nerfed to keep poke4pvp players in the game.

bring the UO back into MO

Crom

Mar 30, 2021
ANY Criminal action in a guarded town needs to be punished by Standing loss. This is a necessity that goes far beyond silly griefing. If guarded towns are not safe enough, the entire balance of the game starts to break. Fortunately, Henrik has already mentioned they are working on this (and as always, a workable solution can take anywhere from 1 week to several years :D)

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
ANY Criminal action in a guarded town needs to be punished by Standing loss. This is a necessity that goes far beyond silly griefing. If guarded towns are not safe enough, the entire balance of the game starts to break. Fortunately, Henrik has already mentioned they are working on this (and as always, a workable solution can take anywhere from 1 week to several years :D)

Yeah, murder, assaults, thieving etc. would be cool to see all crimes as something you can report to guards in a similar fashion to reporting a murder to a priest. Or course I'd like to see this implemented in conjunction with my idea of making 1 reputation 100. 1 standing is too much of a loss for most of the crimes. I the system was expanded out 100 fold then 1 would equal 100 and you could say, make an assault cost 20 standing or something (.2 in the current system)

StreamerLord

Dec 2, 2020
The best deterrent would be having meaningful things to do in this game. Greifer's are board players for the most part who have little else to entertain themselves with. Guards are useless mounts are imbalanced. Let SV improve the game before you inflict the standing system on players.

Crom

Mar 30, 2021
and why that shouldnt be? its a sandbox, if one guy want to focus on killing horse ,why he shouldn't be able to do so? im playing a bit the devil advocate here, but im curious of why you think it shouldn't be ? what shouldnt be is people dictacting other how they should,or shouldn't play suck kind of game.
[/QUOTE

Is that a real argument? Nobody is banning people lol, we are just talking about what is the adequate consequence for a specific action. The game is about choice and consequence, it is a simple as that. Griefing is only a small piece in the discussion of a much more important dynamic ofe game: the safety of guarded towns.

strycio

Apr 1, 2021
and why that shouldnt be? its a sandbox, if one guy want to focus on killing horse ,why he shouldn't be able to do so? im playing a bit the devil advocate here, but im curious of why you think it shouldn't be ? what shouldnt be is people dictacting other how they should,or shouldn't play suck kind of game.

Ppl should totally be able to do so, but there need to be consequences, otherwise you could just trash guards completely. Griefing should come with cost.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020

I clarified earlier. Horse killing as a playstyle with no consequences is what I believe shouldn't be a thing. And why? Because it's fucking stupid. Imagine if someone ran around town shooting people's horses and dogs. Even in modern society you would get locked up. In certain areas it would get you an unmarked grave. And If you went and did so in most medieval societies almost guaranteed you'd get executed if angry locals didn't kill you first.

If you want to be a red, be a damn red. I'm all for playing however you want but if you want to play a scumbag the game should treat you like a scumbag in blue areas. I'm more in favor or not having guards at all than having them protect horse killers.

So the reason I said "It shouldn't be" in response to "horse killing is a playstyle" is it seems to be defending the idea you should be able to grief people without going red by targeting horses instead of people. And that's no legitimate playstyle, it's just bullshit mechanics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fisher(Sath)