Will pet killing cause standing loss?

Kuthara

Jan 4, 2021
I feel like it should. It is a nuisance at the moment. Some people seem to base their entire gameplay around trying to assassinate horses in town. Considering the black spots in town where Guards can not get to and the ability to 3 shot pretty much any horse with a bow costing next to nothing it feels a bit griefy currently.

I mean this was against the rules at one point but I presume it became too difficult for the GMs to Police.

BongRips

Jun 15, 2020
I feel like it should. It is a nuisance at the moment. Some people seem to base their entire gameplay around trying to assassinate horses in town. Considering the black spots in town where Guards can not get to and the ability to 3 shot pretty much any horse with a bow costing next to nothing it feels a bit griefy currently.

I mean this was against the rules at one point but I presume it became too difficult for the GMs to Police.
Have to agree. 120 seconds of criminal is nothing lol.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
It is annoying sure but it was no different in MO1. Bakti was known for snipers killing horses from surrounding hills. The difference was that horses could tank 6 or 7 shotts so you could mount up and ride them to safety if they were getting shot.
I think the problem is that horses have too little hp right now.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
Yep. They should lose standing. What kind of faction wants to be known as the lazy pricks that let criminals run around slaughtering others pets? It makes sense from a lore perspective, a logical perspective, and mechanical one. The whole point of the standing system is supposed to be so that you can go around enemy faction towns and fight as you please but still have a faction town where you are relatively safe since they like you.

Reactions: tal0s and Zbuciorn

StreamerLord

Dec 2, 2020
These are just place holder horses. More spawns more horse breeds and donkeys are all eventually coming. As for horse killing it's basically a play style. Maybe a tiny standing hit 1/4 of what you get for killing a player.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Rep needs more scaling that it currently has. For instance say your standing with a faction is currently -60 to +50. That should be changed to -6000 to +5000 and -1 Rep for killing a player to -100.

Based on that new x100 scale pets should work like this:

Standing Loss = 0.5 x creature control points of creature killed for for non mounts
Standing Loss = 1 x creature control points of creature killed for mounts

Both values are capped at 100 and rounded up to the nearest whole number.

The point is you shouldn't get a full murder for killing someone's rabbit or pig. This only opens up new forms of griefing. However there should be penalties, and it should be harsh penalties for valuable pets. Mounts are the most valuable pets per CC given they take little CC to control but carry a lot of goods on them.

As for horse killing it's basically a play style.

It shouldn't be.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleckCat

Morwen

Mar 18, 2021
These are just place holder horses. More spawns more horse breeds and donkeys are all eventually coming. As for horse killing it's basically a play style. Maybe a tiny standing hit 1/4 of what you get for killing a player.

Or maybe 1 full standing per pet kill and fix the guards not attacking you if you are on the roofs and add thunderlash guards ;)

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Two issues to bring up for anyone who believes it should be a full kill for every pet:

1. People have learned how to grief banks using pigs. You can't push them out of the way but they block a door. The best way to deal with it is to kill them.
2. Imagine someone tames 7 rabbits and runs around in big group fights as a blue to negate enemy AoEs. A lot of little things like that where you can grief using 1 murder per pet.

That's why I say base it on creature control points. A pig or a rabbit should count for a lot less than a horse or a bear.

Morwen

Mar 18, 2021
Two issues to bring up for anyone who believes it should be a full kill for every pet:

1. People have learned how to grief banks using pigs. You can't push them out of the way but they block a door. The best way to deal with it is to kill them.
2. Imagine someone tames 7 rabbits and runs around in big group fights as a blue to negate enemy AoEs. A lot of little things like that where you can grief using 1 murder per pet.

That's why I say base it on creature control points. A pig or a rabbit should count for a lot less than a horse or a bear.

- Allow pushing creatures with less strenght/cons than you
- You cannot have 7 rabbits because pet point cost is exponential.
- The majority of players who most suffer horse griefing in towns are actually new players, we vets know how to take care of them so let's stop ignoring the issue and propose an actual fix for that before release.

Reactions: tal0s

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I did propose an actual fix.

Rep needs more scaling that it currently has. For instance say your standing with a faction is currently -60 to +50. That should be changed to -6000 to +5000 and -1 Rep for killing a player to -100.

Based on that new x100 scale pets should work like this:

Standing Loss = 0.5 x creature control points of creature killed for for non mounts
Standing Loss = 1 x creature control points of creature killed for mounts

Both values are capped at 100 and rounded up to the nearest whole number.

The point is you shouldn't get a full murder for killing someone's rabbit or pig. This only opens up new forms of griefing. However there should be penalties, and it should be harsh penalties for valuable pets. Mounts are the most valuable pets per CC given they take little CC to control but carry a lot of goods on them.

Morwen

Mar 18, 2021
I did propose an actual fix.

That's not even a penalization, I dont see why nerfing the standing on pet killing.

On release will be even easier than now to earn standing because there will be more mobs which give more standing.

And even now with only the risar soldiers which are the low tier risars I have enough standing to be whole weekend killing people all around fabernum.

Standing should be the same as per player kill and actually we will have to review that when more risars, minotaurs, ogres, trolls, etc are in the game and give more standing.

About grefing, first of all one thing I have to say its banks being on houses is worst idea ever, banks should be placed back outdoors, you should be able to jump or push rabbits, pigs, etc.

I cannot imagine how house banks will be when molvas are on the game, its just bad design.

And yes, pet blocking exists but same as player blocking, just add pushing and that's it.

And about the guy running around with 7 rabbits and giving standing loses, well, first of all he shouldnt be able to control more than 2 rabbits, then thats easy to backfire for his allies and after that maybe "low" tier mobs like pigs, rabbits, etc shouldnt standing lose outside towns or anywhere.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Pigs are too low to the ground to push. I've seen 2 pigs used to block off the entire Meduli bank for everyone. I dealt with it be banking my gear (I was inside when they set it uo) and killing the pigs with a pick.

The murder count system is supposed to go away as far as I am aware. If not, then same thing. Change it to murder points at x100. And then make it work precisely the same way.

Making pigs and rabbits give the same murder count as players is insanely abusable.

Morwen

Mar 18, 2021
Pigs are too low to the ground to push. I've seen 2 pigs used to block off the entire Meduli bank for everyone. I dealt with it be banking my gear (I was inside when they set it uo) and killing the pigs with a pick.

The murder count system is supposed to go away as far as I am aware. If not, then same thing. Change it to murder points at x100. And then make it work precisely the same way.

Overall, banks on houses like Kranesh, Fabernum, Meduli, etc are just bad design.

And you just be able to push automatically rabbits or pigs just by walking on them, no needing to manually push them.

But what then about a molva, bear or minotaur guard? yes, that can block a bank door, yes you cannot push that? what can you do? nothing because banks design is bad.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
A molva, bear or minotaur guard?

Gank them and take the hit. I'll take a full murder count to watch a mino guard go down. XD

But pigs are a bit easier to replace.

Morwen

Mar 18, 2021
A molva, bear or minotaur guard?

Gank them and take the hit. I'll take a full murder count to watch a mino guard go down. XD

But pigs are a bit easier to replace.

With breeding you will have plenty of molvas to grief...

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
May I suggest permadeath as a punishment for harming animals? I do not believe we should allow animal abuse to occur without harsh punishment. I fear that would give people IRL the idea that abusing animals is acceptable.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
if they made it so that you didn't lose standing or gain murder counts outside of controlled Faction (Tindrem empire, etc.) towns the abuse in the wild with pets and such would be non-existent. Literally draw a circle around a city and if you do bad crap inside it you get reported, if you do bad crap outside of it you are not punished at all. This allows players to go ape wild on each other like they should be able to without the god of Law & Order running over to the town guards and telling them you were a bad boi in the middle of nowhere.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
I think the problem is that horses have too little hp right now.
Horse HP is fine, it's only a steppe horse. Tanky, slower mounts are going to be added.

It shouldn't be.
It's a valid tactic, which will mean a lot more on persistent and when other horse types + breeding is added.

It's a way to assert dominance in your territory and not wanting people in your town. It's also a viable way to deprive your enemy of something very valuable, a mount. Not only is it inconvenient but if done at the right time, can gimp an MC/MA or Fat mage. It's also a way to exhaust enemy resources.

Then there's the shady horse trader tactic from MO1. Kill peoples mounts during slow periods of mount sales, so it forces them to buy another mount - Your mounts. Killing off the competitions mounts is a good way to monopolize too.

Only issue right now is it's just too easy to do it, and has minimal repercussions. Which is understandable, despite the game being labelled "beta" it's still very much an Alpha in terms of features and mechanics.