Why many people complain

Tzone

May 16, 2021
What's not true? I said nothing about the past. The rest about UE5 lighting is straight from Henrik on streams. But yes, they could remove the 'adaptive' lighting in the meanwhile, I agree.

UE5 was supposed to release Q4 2021 or possibly early 2022 according to Epic. Currently MO2 is using UE4.26 which should allow for a pretty smooth transition to UE5 once it is out (I have converted a few projects myself with barely any issues at all, and while MO2 is certainly a bigger problem I believe it should be very compatible). Biggest issue would be people with weaker GPUs having poorer performance.

Henrik says a lot of things. Why is lighting bad its not because they dont have time to make it better its because they spent time and money making it worse by forcing in eye adaption tech which ruined the games lighting.

The lighting being bad has nothing to do with UE5 which is not ready to be used in a video game yet esspecially a MMO. Several mounts down the road they might be ok look at UE5 again.

They can easily fix the lighting in this game by reverting the changes the made the lighting bad. It would require very little work and the reason it has not been fixed is because it makes screen shots look pretty.

Henrik is not a expert on the game despite being the lead dev and will say a lot of things, Take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Lurifax

Dec 6, 2021
Henrik says a lot of things. Why is lighting bad its not because they dont have time to make it better its because they spent time and money making it worse by forcing in eye adaption tech which ruined the games lighting.

The lighting being bad has nothing to do with UE5 which is not ready to be used in a video game yet esspecially a MMO. Several mounts down the road they might be ok look at UE5 again.

They can easily fix the lighting in this game by reverting the changes the made the lighting bad. It would require very little work and the reason it has not been fixed is because it makes screen shots look pretty.

Henrik is not a expert on the game despite being the lead dev and will say a lot of things, Take everything he says with a grain of salt.
As I said I agree they could remove the adaptive stuff IF it doesn't cost too much time until UE5 is released in stable form.

UE5 is used a lot on products in the making that will release this year. MO2 is already on 4.26 which is the (second) most up to date version (which allows for mostly smooth update of projects, feel free to read yourself here) so transition would likely be relatively trouble free as far as these things go but as always the devil is in the detail.

Assuming you know why they don't switch back their lighting is not productive, you have no real idea and are just speculating. It is likely that it is not just the flick of a switch.

Henrik just like any other dev doesn't know everything about the projects they are working on, in fact hes the CEO so I imagine his attention is split a lot onto the business side of things and managing investor expectations etc. With that said I am 100% certain he is more aware than every player of the game what the limitations currently are and I really doubt the only reason they use the new lighting is because of screenshots. The real way this game makes money is after all by the subscription more than anything.

doghorse

Jan 18, 2022
please stop saying UE5, the game is made of a bunch of plugins f***ed together, including an MMO plugin. getting all of that to work with UE5 is prob years in the future. and if they spend time and resources on something that looks like ass and they are stubborn to revert that tells you everything about the dev. good luck with subscriptions btw. they don't care about making something good. they want to secure a couple years worth of salary.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
I just don't understand why the lighting has still not been fixed. It is such an off putting thing for new players, as it makes the game look horrendous. I am 100% sure a lot of players have probably refunded the game after 30 mins due to the game (lighting) looking so bad.
My guess is they don't know how to do it.

Lurifax

Dec 6, 2021
please stop saying UE5, the game is made of a bunch of plugins f***ed together, including an MMO plugin. getting all of that to work with UE5 is prob years in the future. and if they spend time and resources on something that looks like ass and they are stubborn to revert that tells you everything about the dev. good luck with subscriptions btw. they don't care about making something good. they want to secure a couple years worth of salary.
MMO Plugin? Dude please show me what "MMO Plugin" is sophisticated enough to run for their use case. You have no fucking clue what you are talking about. Also you clearly do not have an understanding of the UE ecosystem.

Pretty sure they do but when you have limited resources you have to make choices on where you spend them. Either way for all of you who find this to be a massive problem here is a temporary workaround until the situation improves. It's usually not punished/detected but use at your own risk! I am not aware of the devs making it known what the status is.

1. Download reshade.
  2. Run reshade, select the game.
  3. Make sure Dx11/Dx12 is selected.
  4. Select "color effects by prod80", install. Finalize.
  5. Start Mortal, push the home key to open reshade settings.
  6. Activate PD80 03 Shadows Midtones Highlights.fx
  7. Go to midtone adjustments section and set exposure to -1.
  8. Go to Highlight Adjustments and set exposure to -4.
  9. Take your sunglasses off.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
They 100% know how to fix it. From Henrik mouth he thinks the lighting is great. That is the only reason it has not been fixed.

He just wants eye adaption in his game which most games dont use for the obvious reason that it sucks.

All he has to do is turn off eye adaptation plugin hes running.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
As I said I agree they could remove the adaptive stuff IF it doesn't cost too much time until UE5 is released in stable form.

UE5 is used a lot on products in the making that will release this year. MO2 is already on 4.26 which is the (second) most up to date version (which allows for mostly smooth update of projects, feel free to read yourself here) so transition would likely be relatively trouble free as far as these things go but as always the devil is in the detail.

Assuming you know why they don't switch back their lighting is not productive, you have no real idea and are just speculating. It is likely that it is not just the flick of a switch.

Henrik just like any other dev doesn't know everything about the projects they are working on, in fact hes the CEO so I imagine his attention is split a lot onto the business side of things and managing investor expectations etc. With that said I am 100% certain he is more aware than every player of the game what the limitations currently are and I really doubt the only reason they use the new lighting is because of screenshots. The real way this game makes money is after all by the subscription more than anything.
They literally didnt have the eye adaptation plug in in the game in the past. The lighting was absolutely fine before that. It is a extreamly simple fix that he will not do because it makes screen shots look pretty and hes superficial like that.

Lurifax

Dec 6, 2021
They literally didnt have the eye adaptation plug in in the game in the past. The lighting was absolutely fine before that. It is a extreamly simple fix that he will not do because it makes screen shots look pretty and hes superficial like that.
We can only speculate about reason but eye adaption/auto exposure is not a plugin, its a native feature to UE4.

Lurifax

Dec 6, 2021
Lol so you think pasting a screenshot of some inventory/ui system from a different engine is somehow proof that mortal uses a "MMO plugin"? Do you even realize a inventory system is not at all the hard part and the really challenging part with a MMO like mortal is the network/server performance with so many players having to be visible.

For your reading pleasure so you can cure your ignorance: https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/mmos-y-u-no-ez-or-the-n-squared-problem-in-game-design.361/

doghorse

Jan 18, 2022
Lol so you think pasting a screenshot of some inventory/ui system from a different engine is somehow proof that mortal uses a "MMO plugin"? Do you even realize a inventory system is not at all the hard part and the really challenging part with a MMO like mortal is the network/server performance with so many players having to be visible.

For your reading pleasure so you can cure your ignorance: https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/mmos-y-u-no-ez-or-the-n-squared-problem-in-game-design.361/

you're right, network architecture is on point and I respect that, It's the backbone of this frankenstein monster. btw it's not an iventory mod it'a s full fledged mmo system called atavism. No idea if it's what they're using as it's only being in dev on unreal. check it out, you can make your own mmo too :D

Lurifax

Dec 6, 2021
you're right, network architecture is on point and I respect that, It's the backbone of this frankenstein monster. btw it's not an iventory mod it'a s full fledged mmo system called atavism. No idea if it's what they're using as it's only being in dev on unreal. check it out, you can make your own mmo too :D
Never heard of any of the games made with it, very much doubt it can stand up heavy usage like most commercial MMOs (especially a game like Mortal) require. If it did it would be more known by now I reckon.

Anyway, cool project but has nothing to do with Mortal in the end so not sure why you brought it up?

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Notice anything about this RL shot of genuine desert in Joshua Tree National Park (California) which is pretty much as I remember it from The Before Times?

ALL-ABOUT-JOSHUA-TREE-NATIONAL-PARK-1200x750.jpg

It's pretty, pretty hot, and pretty bright, but not as starkly glaring and washed out as Myrland looks to a lot of people, in-game, in videos, and in screenshots. Unless SV has a way to make it possible to "shade" your avatar's eyes with its hand (and THEY DON'T), they should just turn the damned brightness down (and THEY WON'T).
.... If you think it's bad now, what will it be like if / when they someday add Sarducaa, most of which is a true desert?