Why don't we all just play MO1 until M02 comes out?

Everyone plays MO1 until MO2 comes out

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters

Breannor

May 28, 2020
You just forget that since some years there are a lot of survival games like Atlas, Ark, Rust, Conan, etc. which have exactly the same feature as MO (or MO2) : full loot, TC , . They are even more hardcore on some aspect like the fact you can loose all your work in base building in a minute.

I think new players wont be surprised now in how work MO2 contrary 5 years ago or more.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
MO IS full loot pvp where you dont go to the DEVs and ask for regulations like communists do in the real world.
what the new players experienced was exactly what MO is about. there where plenty of guilds who helped beginners and its mind blowing that people complain in a full loot pvp about getting killed by strangers! it works like a filter. a good new player experience is very important but destroying the game just to attract more casuals is the reason why every mainstream game is bland.

Rules/regulations aren't the way to go, even I, who despised what I saw, think that. Creating the proper environment is the way to go. Haven is a good example. No one's advocating turning the game carebear; it's about giving new people a chance to learn the game, and killing them with subtle rules exploits, like a well-intentioned but poorly implemented blue/grey/red criminal flagging system that they don't even understand, isn't PVP, it's griefing. Letting people learn to play this complex and subtle game isn't "destroying the game" it's giving people a fighting chance, letting people enjoy the game without adding rules, and how you bring in enough players to not have an empty MO get shut down. Again.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
Ask anyone who played MO1 of it was the game they enjoyed more, or the people they played, met, and it interacted with both positive and negative. I'll bet money it was the people not the game. The game has honestly never been 'amazing', the players were. The good and the bad.

There are good and bad players in every game; it doesn't distract from the fact that it was the idea of the *game* that made them show up, and it was the *players* they met that made everybody leave until the game died. Ask anyone who left, and it wasn't the game that made them say, "fuck this" it was the players you keep trying to put on a pedestal.

Keurk

May 28, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
trash cans opinion on spins
So, after seeing this, I went and saw his follow up "debrief" stream with Mythematic, another streamer who tried the stress test. Both of them start by gushing about how great MO2 is, Steelrain calls it "God Tier". Then Mythematic asks him about his negatives and they spend the entire rest of the stream talking about how horrible and toxic the community is and how the game will be unplayable and how Steelrain wishes he simply hadn't streamed at all that entire day. Mythematic even had a borderline encounter where someone critiqued him for RP'ing, he calls the player out and keeps doing it, and then the player eventually joins them. That would have been a positive story but because of Steelrain's experience being griefed for 4 hours, it was further evidence of how bad the community is.

Steelrain immediately goes to "GMs need to ban people, there need to be rules, etc etc". My opinion, sure, that's part of it, but if you reach that point you've already failed. Building a healthy, positive community for a game is tough. Mythematic's example is how useful leading by example is. I work in Mental Health and they've done studies on bullying. One of the most effective ways to stop bullying is by creating a culture that doesn't tolerate bullying, where peers stand up for the person who is being bullied. A "top down" response is almost never fully effective. And the twisted cycle is that if "normal" or positive people have a bad experience, they will leave, and then you lose the potential to have a good amount of people who are standing up against bullies.

So I know Henrik and his team must know this was an issue in MO1 and I understand why they don't want to put in hard systems to punish/protect against bad behavior. But I do also hope they realize the power of a positive community and that it's quite complicated to build and foster as that will be the biggest protective factor.
all this because people don't know there is multiples priest and they can go somewhere else to resurect.
Some people are lacking a bit of IQ, combativity ,determination, motivation, comon sence, or all of this at once (not talking about ,but people joining an hardcore full loot pvp game and complaining about being killed over and over, while they literally do nothing to prevent this)
the issues are the players also being too weak for MO and so the natural process pick them. WHat can you do against this, but destroy some sandboxes aspects and add more restriction that would push the game towards more generic piece of crap clone games ? nothing but learn how to live in a harsh world.

Ask

Jun 10, 2020
I disagree with anyone who claims they can pinpoint the reason why people stopped playing, Greifing wasn't even the largest reason people stopped playing and a quick look at steam reviews can confirm everyone has their own reasons. Every player is different and every player has their own breaking point. Weather it be greifing, price, grind, graphics, security issues, bug, exploits, cheaters ect, ect.

The reason I stopped playing after all this time (7 ish years) is my enjoyment came from the struggle of building myself up from nothing and competing against others on many different aspects (combat, wealth, TC, guild prowess). At some point the joy of doing that was lost and I can't really remember why. Maybe the lowering population, after all theirs's no point striving to be a king when the throne you covet is in a competition of so few.

The reason i won't be playing MO1 while I wait is because ill be playing MO2 alpha, I want the game to truly succeed its predecessor. I want to find and test and suggest as much as I can to make the next installation better. I can't do that if I'm playing MO1, or at least not as well. This game will suffer the same issues of the first such as the problems I mentioned above, however as a community testing and giving feedback hopefully we can lessen them.

Reactions: Rorry

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I would still be playing MO if they was not shutting it down at the end of the year.

Honestly I have been playing everything but MO at this point to fill the void since I dont see MO2 filling it any time soon.

Reactions: Grisù

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
all this because people don't know there is multiples priest and they can go somewhere else to resurect.
Some people are lacking a bit of IQ, combativity ,determination, motivation, comon sence, or all of this at once (not talking about ,but people joining an hardcore full loot pvp game and complaining about being killed over and over, while they literally do nothing to prevent this)
the issues are the players also being too weak for MO and so the natural process pick them. WHat can you do against this, but destroy some sandboxes aspects and add more restriction that would push the game towards more generic piece of crap clone games ? nothing but learn how to live in a harsh world.
I didn’t really suggest anything. I was just pointing out to the gentleman that people will always grief, because some kids are too shit to do anything else.