Why don't we all just play MO1 until M02 comes out?

Everyone plays MO1 until MO2 comes out

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters

Soothsayer

Nov 12, 2020
Overall game is still fun as long as there is population we should use this momentum to get some action in MO1 spend the junk in our banks etc

Be honest if Tindrem was taken over by two War dec'd guilds that couldnt leave the city no pets molarium/steel/cheap scales it would be pretty fun. Red Team vs Blue Team

Last edited:

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
i left MO1 because it consumed too much time (needed 2 account subs to hold my level) and there was no PVP left at my prime time 5 years ago.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
and there was no PVP left at my prime time 5 years ago.

Gonna be the same in MO2 if some "core" things don't change. And I don't mean just 3rd person view and the usual stuff that was forumquested to death during MO1, I also mean the toxic, "It's MY game, go away" mentality that permeated the game and culminated with that disasterous Steam release. That intentionally sabotaged Steam release was MO1's last dying breath, IMHO. I'm not going back, nothing left to do, games empty. I'm just hoping things are different in MO2, but if Henrik just wants an empty updated game with the same (lack of) players, it's his baby. I'm taking a wait-n-see approach.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Gonna be the same in MO2 if some "core" things don't change. And I don't mean just 3rd person view and the usual stuff that was forumquested to death during MO1, I also mean the toxic, "It's MY game, go away" mentality that permeated the game and culminated with that disasterous Steam release. That intentionally sabotaged Steam release was MO1's last dying breath, IMHO. I'm not going back, nothing left to do, games empty. I'm just hoping things are different in MO2, but if Henrik just wants an empty updated game with the same (lack of) players, it's his baby. I'm taking a wait-n-see approach.
we are here helping to make MO2 good and it looks promising now. just because there are some features you dont like doesnt mean it will fail after a long time.
the steam release was a server fail, constant crashes and 2 weeks 2 hours login wait time. after that it was like the expected 50% rating cause its a niche game with alot of problems also its not that MO1 was not successful on his own way. you need to understand that if you buff one aspect you weaken another one somewhere. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy
if you make a game with mainstream mechanics you will get what you created. be greedy like EA or have balls like SV (hope they are still there).

Reactions: Rorry

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
Bernfred, I don't know if that was sophistry, or you just misunderstood me. With the Steam release I was referring to the people that griefed the new players until practically all of them logged and never came back, keeping "their" server to themselves. Please skip the usual hardcore/niche arguments, thanks.

RaptorBlackz

Sep 4, 2020
Australia
Bernfred, I don't know if that was sophistry, or you just misunderstood me. With the Steam release I was referring to the people that griefed the new players until practically all of them logged and never came back, keeping "their" server to themselves. Please skip the usual hardcore/niche arguments, thanks.
Most of the reasoning of these type of players during the steam launch is because if they could grief newbies, They will.
Also it was a way to teach Starvault a lesson to listen to their demands to improve the game instead of focusing on a steam release when they believed the game wasn't in a ready state for a re-release (They were technically right).

Hopefully everyone's learned from this mistake and the same issue doesn't occur again, I'm down for getting jumped in the wild but straight up murking/ruining new player experiences in town/haven was uncalled for.

Reactions: Ministro

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
MO IS full loot pvp where you dont go to the DEVs and ask for regulations like communists do in the real world.
what the new players experienced was exactly what MO is about. there where plenty of guilds who helped beginners and its mind blowing that people complain in a full loot pvp about getting killed by strangers! it works like a filter. a good new player experience is very important but destroying the game just to attract more casuals is the reason why every mainstream game is bland.

RaptorBlackz

Sep 4, 2020
Australia
What the new players experienced was 'Blue Blocking, Walled in town that prevented the departure of MK, Exploited grey/red mechanics in Haven and targeted harrassment.' - All of this was done to make a joke of SV and the community that done that made complete success.

None of the above should've happened, If they get jumped in graveyard that's fine 'welcome to MO', But the first thing they do is spawn in to haven to only get baited into a losing fight against a red/grey flagged user ready to put them down permanently (to be grey/red was an exploit in haven).

For the steam release there were also people in the tindrem garden whom slayed the lictors and murdered everyone in the pig-spawn.

Last edited:

MaDeuce

May 28, 2020
I go back and forth between MO1 & MO2 all the time perfecting recipes as well as archiving information. I really wish MO1's creativity turns into a cross platform mobile game someday.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Nope. I've played a bit of MO1 lately to help get an idea of things I should possibly anticipate and test for in MO2, but MO2 data is just so much for useful in preparing myself in what is to come in MO2. MO2 skills are more useful in preparing for MO2.

I wouldn't mind joining in on a "Knock out all the MO1 achievements while you still can!" event. I've been doing a bit of that on my own already. But overall MO1 is just not nearly as important to me as MO2 is. I want to be looking forward not backward.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
If you assume maximum grief, that'll be the most accurate.

There will always be kids that are so dog shit that they actually can only get kills on complete noobs.

it isn't that they are griefers necessarily, its that their brain function/gaming skills are just so close to the threshold where they would need a maid or a nurse or something to dress and bathe them. So it isn't an issue of how are you enjoying the game playing like that? Its the only option they have to enjoy the game.

Really it is up to Star Vault, because the avg mortal player isn't much better than that either, and can't/won't really do anything about it.

One thing dog shit kids like this have in common with the people they grief is they want turn caps, because they're anus and don't like getting outplayed.

behold an actual trash cans opinion on spins

View attachment 511

Wow, that was straight up one of the most upsetting things I’ve seen in a while.

Streamer is trying to bring positive press to Mortal Online and he’s getting griefed by a naked idiot with no idea how to to respond. This is a microcosm of Mortal Online (and potentially 2)’s failure. You call tell he actually really likes the concept of the game, but that experience causes him to not only hate it, but to express to everyone he knows that it sucks, and drive away any potential for mainstream interest. To simply support a play style where someone with no life and no actual risk to them (he’s naked and has no equipment) is able to essentially single-handedly drive away a whole host of players.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I spent a lot of time in the tindrem graveyard protecting newbies and baiting the blue blockers with grey flag/hidden criminal.
I think I hit one of the higher mile stones for killing blues by doing so, not a single murder count gained in the process.

I think I was either playing on Gerthrud or Bremusa at that time. I think Bremusa. Thur/kallard beefy woman with heavy armor and thievery. Very effective combo for keeping blue blockers away.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I've been pleasantly surprised by how chill and respectful most people in alpha are. Most people in alpha aren't going to attack you at the crafters, aren't going to priest camp you, and to a large degree won't even take the last hit if they get you to mercy mode. (Though I expect the last point to change when looting people is actually useful)

Then the stress test hit and the community was pure cancer the whole time it was running. You could barely go to a town without some kid starting to take swipes at your back while you're sitting there crafting.

I think most veterans aren't super interested in crapping all over newbros. I think most veterans don't really appreciate groups that focus their existence on specifically targeting out newbros for griefing. And I think most veterans are too busy living out in keeps and higher-level areas like Gaul'Kor to really spread positive culture or pose any kind of check to the twerps that are running off people as they come into the game.

Some mechanics to block bad behavior may be part of what we need. But perhaps what we really need is more incentive for veterans to mentor and interact with newbros.

MaDeuce

May 28, 2020
I love exploring the tindrem graveyard, you know they added new content where there is a mob in the under world guarding treasure. Also it was one of the best ways to help out guild members while earning your necessary points if you KNOW WHAT IM SAYING :cool:😻

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I've been pleasantly surprised by how chill and respectful most people in alpha are. Most people in alpha aren't going to attack you at the crafters, aren't going to priest camp you, and to a large degree won't even take the last hit if they get you to mercy mode. (Though I expect the last point to change when looting people is actually useful)

Then the stress test hit and the community was pure cancer the whole time it was running. You could barely go to a town without some kid starting to take swipes at your back while you're sitting there crafting.

I think most veterans aren't super interested in crapping all over newbros. I think most veterans don't really appreciate groups that focus their existence on specifically targeting out newbros for griefing. And I think most veterans are too busy living out in keeps and higher-level areas like Gaul'Kor to really spread positive culture or pose any kind of check to the twerps that are running off people as they come into the game.

Some mechanics to block bad behavior may be part of what we need. But perhaps what we really need is more incentive for veterans to mentor and interact with newbros.
Yeah, punishment and deterrent is not always the way to go in these instances. A clear benefit to doing the opposite is much more effective.

Granted being red was not nearly as punishing or difficult in mo1 as it should have been, but there really weren't much of any alternative for the avid pvper. Red flag was an inevitability even if you were never seeking out to kill innocent people. Thats hopefully something that gets looked at.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Wow, that was straight up one of the most upsetting things I’ve seen in a while.

Streamer is trying to bring positive press to Mortal Online and he’s getting griefed by a naked idiot with no idea how to to respond. This is a microcosm of Mortal Online (and potentially 2)’s failure. You call tell he actually really likes the concept of the game, but that experience causes him to not only hate it, but to express to everyone he knows that it sucks, and drive away any potential for mainstream interest. To simply support a play style where someone with no life and no actual risk to them (he’s naked and has no equipment) is able to essentially single-handedly drive away a whole host of players.

So, after seeing this, I went and saw his follow up "debrief" stream with Mythematic, another streamer who tried the stress test. Both of them start by gushing about how great MO2 is, Steelrain calls it "God Tier". Then Mythematic asks him about his negatives and they spend the entire rest of the stream talking about how horrible and toxic the community is and how the game will be unplayable and how Steelrain wishes he simply hadn't streamed at all that entire day. Mythematic even had a borderline encounter where someone critiqued him for RP'ing, he calls the player out and keeps doing it, and then the player eventually joins them. That would have been a positive story but because of Steelrain's experience being griefed for 4 hours, it was further evidence of how bad the community is.

Steelrain immediately goes to "GMs need to ban people, there need to be rules, etc etc". My opinion, sure, that's part of it, but if you reach that point you've already failed. Building a healthy, positive community for a game is tough. Mythematic's example is how useful leading by example is. I work in Mental Health and they've done studies on bullying. One of the most effective ways to stop bullying is by creating a culture that doesn't tolerate bullying, where peers stand up for the person who is being bullied. A "top down" response is almost never fully effective. And the twisted cycle is that if "normal" or positive people have a bad experience, they will leave, and then you lose the potential to have a good amount of people who are standing up against bullies.

So I know Henrik and his team must know this was an issue in MO1 and I understand why they don't want to put in hard systems to punish/protect against bad behavior. But I do also hope they realize the power of a positive community and that it's quite complicated to build and foster as that will be the biggest protective factor.

MaDeuce

May 28, 2020
So, after seeing this, I went and saw his follow up "debrief" stream with Mythematic, another streamer who tried the stress test. Both of them start by gushing about how great MO2 is, Steelrain calls it "God Tier". Then Mythematic asks him about his negatives and they spend the entire rest of the stream talking about how horrible and toxic the community is and how the game will be unplayable and how Steelrain wishes he simply hadn't streamed at all that entire day. Mythematic even had a borderline encounter where someone critiqued him for RP'ing, he calls the player out and keeps doing it, and then the player eventually joins them. That would have been a positive story but because of Steelrain's experience being griefed for 4 hours, it was further evidence of how bad the community is.

Steelrain immediately goes to "GMs need to ban people, there need to be rules, etc etc". My opinion, sure, that's part of it, but if you reach that point you've already failed. Building a healthy, positive community for a game is tough. Mythematic's example is how useful leading by example is. I work in Mental Health and they've done studies on bullying. One of the most effective ways to stop bullying is by creating a culture that doesn't tolerate bullying, where peers stand up for the person who is being bullied. A "top down" response is almost never fully effective. And the twisted cycle is that if "normal" or positive people have a bad experience, they will leave, and then you lose the potential to have a good amount of people who are standing up against bullies.

So I know Henrik and his team must know this was an issue in MO1 and I understand why they don't want to put in hard systems to punish/protect against bad behavior. But I do also hope they realize the power of a positive community and that it's quite complicated to build and foster as that will be the biggest protective factor.

I will try and address the last of your concerns first and then so on in revese order. Henrik Has explained that there will be new and aggressive AI in game soon. The stage testing is in right now is tightening up those actions the AI will have. the only way to engage this is through testing. I will repeat that last part because you bought the key.. The only way into the KNOW is TESTING. What you are following is a tester base and not the audience base quite yet. we are testing everything to include who is REALLY cretic or not ;)

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020

It's a sandbox game, he is entitled to do that so long as the game allows him. The moment the game disallows him in some way some sand is removed.

Haven can coddle players all it wants, and it should. It should coddle players until the CORE of their character is complete, it should MAKE newer players stay there until they meet certain requirements, and allow them to experiment and change their races / builds with no penalty, there should be a PvP zone or some kind of arena, and guilds should have the ability to go back in the form of a "guide" where you have a predetermined set of armor / weapons and can still do everything the players on Haven can, but you cant take anything to or from there.

The new experience needs to be amazing and actually prepare players, as much as I want to say I thought it was cool how MO1 spit me out after teaching me to pull my weapon out, swing, pick up items, use the skinning knife, do very basic armor crafting, showed me the taming skill - and sent me out and said "yeah ur ready" was awesome. But I got griefed so much, I got absolutely fucked over and over and over. It made me want to try harder and become more resilient to it, also made me a better player.

Point being, you can coddle new players: but they need some real world experience from Nave at some point on Haven. If they never experience loss, even for a bit only for the game to say "hey but your getting your items back this time, don't worry. But next time you might not" will trigger that want to survive.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020

Hope the game never gets influenced to adhere to some Twitch-like guide lines.

The people who hang around on Twitch, mostly the viewers, are some of the most uptight SJW people you can have in your community. Remember, I said mostly; obviously not everyone like that.

I'm not a fan of a guy coming in who didn't even rear his head to MO1 to come in and say this his experiences along dictate the enforcement of some "be nice" rules in-game and GM's need to ban people not being nice.

This game allows you to scam players, it allows you to lie and cheat people out of stuff, you can be downright scummy and betray entire guilds or do things that other games don't allow you. Players in this game can ACTUALLY BE BAD PEOPLE. And guess what? A lot of people don't play MO for the game, they play it for the community believe it or not.

Ask anyone who played MO1 of it was the game they enjoyed more, or the people they played, met, and it interacted with both positive and negative. I'll bet money it was the people not the game. The game has honestly never been 'amazing', the players were. The good and the bad.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Another thing.

Guilds in MO1 existed that were labeled anti-pk, meaning they killed 'bad players' but left lawful players alone. Adhering to the flagging system was bad, as you could be classified as a murderer in-game but be a good player as bad players could be blue.

Communities and players have power, it's up to the individuals as you said to lead by example. If you want to foster a community, guild, or alliance of people who build on the foundations of being good morally, and protecting new players. Set out to do it and walk the walk.

I'll be here being the scum of Nave and making sure none of you ever like me even if you think what I did to someone else is funny. Cause trust, I don't discriminate between groups or individuals - everyone is a target.