Why do my animals not attack when they are attacked?

beeboo

Feb 27, 2022
This is complete nonsense and stupidity! You are standing next to the city and your animals are being killed...
They just stand still when they are killed from afar with a bow...
Already killed 3 animals... Which you have been raising for a long time!

Why such an idiotic animal system?

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
Yeah it is weird that they just stand there not moving while beiing killed.

I personally would love to see something like animal that is set to stays still, if it gets attacked, it panicks and sprins randomly away (not accepting further commands until it calms down, probably also should be affected by animal control) just like when hitting a wild horse.

beeboo

Feb 27, 2022
They are useless because they do not react to the attack!
If a horse was killed - I agree - it is not a fighting pet!
But when a bear stands and I attack it - this is ideotism!
If a pet was killed in battle - this is understandable! But when a pet is standing still.... it's STUPID!

Reactions: fuatX

Sneed

Jan 25, 2022
They are useless because they do not react to the attack!
If a horse was killed - I agree - it is not a fighting pet!
But when a bear stands and I attack it - this is ideotism!
If a pet was killed in battle - this is understandable! But when a pet is standing still.... it's STUPID!

Fine you can have your fleeing pets but while were on the topic of immersion. One arrow center mass kills any animal except an elephant which takes three. Go shoot a local bear center mass with an arrow and see if it lives.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Fine you can have your fleeing pets but while were on the topic of immersion. One arrow center mass kills any animal except an elephant which takes three. Go shoot a local bear center mass with an arrow and see if it lives.

Same for humans. Perhaps we should do that as well in the spirit of realism?

I mean if we want to go full realism most weapons in the game should be one-hit kills for torso and head.

Sneed

Jan 25, 2022
Same for humans. Perhaps we should do that as well in the spirit of realism?

I mean if we want to go full realism most weapons in the game should be one-hit kills for torso and head.

The point I was trying to make is that its a game, so using "why would it just stand there" arguments are poor arguments. Pets need buffed but not in this way. Fixing the pet AI for attacking, pathing, and offering armors for different pets that can only be made with expensive materials would be a better route.

Reactions: CrgHck

beeboo

Feb 27, 2022
I couldn't even imagine such nonsense!
This is not realism - this is the stupidity of the one who came up with this! There are no arrows that will actually kill a bear with 1 shot!!! 1-2 arrows will only make the bear angry! In a fictional reality, even an ant can kill a bear!

Have you been hunting? One shot from a gun does not always kill a bear!!! And YOU say to kill a bear with one arrow in the body))))))) it's FUNNY!! In reality, after 3-5 arrows in the body of a bear - he will be even angrier! and will continue to run after you!

Well, you have invented a world for yourself! It has nothing to do with reality!

Have you ever seen bears in real life? :cool::cool::cool:

Sneed

Jan 25, 2022
I couldn't even imagine such nonsense!
This is not realism - this is the stupidity of the one who came up with this! There are no arrows that will actually kill a bear with 1 shot!!! 1-2 arrows will only make the bear angry! In a fictional reality, even an ant can kill a bear!

Have you been hunting? One shot from a gun does not always kill a bear!!! And YOU say to kill a bear with one arrow in the body))))))) it's FUNNY!! In reality, after 3-5 arrows in the body of a bear - he will be even angrier! and will continue to run after you!

Well, you have invented a world for yourself! It has nothing to do with reality!

Have you ever seen bears in real life? :cool::cool::cool:

I've killed bears in real life with a bow. Bears certainly die in one shot from a bow as do moose, elk and deer. I can tell you've never killed anything with a bow, you understand that hunting arrows leave massive deep channel wounds much larger then pistol calibers? Rifle calibers traveling @ 2.8-3.2kfps will leave larger wound channels but regardless an arrow will be fatal if you take one near any artery or organ.

beeboo

Feb 27, 2022
I have always been amused by such experts and killers of animals))) You write that you killed bears)))) Even if this is so, you did not KILL from the bow of the 12-15th century !!!!!!! You did it with a modern bow! In which the tension of the thread occurs through BLOCKS! By analogy with lifting loads at a construction site or an ordinary auto-crane !! The system of blocks greatly increases the power of the shot (20-30 times stronger than a regular wooden bow)! And the bow is made of special alloys!

You are not an athlete! You are an ordinary modern European, with an ordinary physique, height and weight! You could never deal even moderate damage with a wooden bow! NEVER!

The real European northern peoples died out long ago! Vikings are dead!

Therefore, do not tell that a puny 70-kilogram "man" (rather a woman) can kill a bear with an ordinary bow!

It's just ridiculous - to read such nonsense from you! fact!

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
The point I was trying to make is that its a game, so using "why would it just stand there" arguments are poor arguments. Pets need buffed but not in this way. Fixing the pet AI for attacking, pathing, and offering armors for different pets that can only be made with expensive materials would be a better route.

I think having aggressive pets able to defend themselves when attacked is a standard feature to every game with pets and it is for a reason. As are things like making your pet return to follow you automatically after you kill something. It's interesting but there are certain small things every gamer just expects to happen if they've been playing games long enough. I've heard it explained as "gamer fluency". They don't even really think about them because they've played enough games they just know how it works. These two features fall into that category, and breaking the mold without some really good reason on how it enhances gameplay just makes the game look bad to the general player. You're speaking in a different language than what all experienced gamers expect when you leave out these features, so why do it needlessly?

I don't think these features were overlooked because it makes the game "hardcore". I think these features were cut because the developers rushed out half-made systems to get the game out on time. Which is fine. Arguing against their eventual inclusion is insane though IMO. Great idea if you want the game to feel permanently like a broken half-developed piece of garbage to the average player.

Good video for understanding the concept of "gamer fluency":

Last edited:

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
I think it's fair that a pet would attack (or flee if non combat) when attacked so long as it doesn't have a target (like a training dummy). That said, if the pet (or you) don't have LoS to where you can send the pet to attack I don't think it should attack, maybe flee.

All that said, what does "flee" mean? Are we ok with it just running in a random direction? How far? Arguable all distances (attacking and fleeing) should be determined by the distance you can command the pet, that way if you say "follow me" it'll listen and come back without you having to search for it.

I second Kaemik's argument that a pet should return to following after it's target has been killed, no real good reason to not do so....and it's especially dumb to see the pet attacking a corpse...

CrgHck

Jan 27, 2022
Stockholm
I think having aggressive pets able to defend themselves when attacked is a standard feature to every game with pets and it is for a reason. As are things like making your pet return to follow you automatically after you kill something. It's interesting but there are certain small things every gamer just expects to happen if they've been playing games long enough. I've heard it explained as "gamer fluency" They don't even really think about them because they've played enough games they just know how it works. These two features fall into that category, and breaking the mold without some really good reason on how it enhances gameplay just makes the game look bad to the general player. You're speaking in a different language than what all experienced gamers expect when you leave out these features, so why do it needlessly?

I don't think these features were overlooked because it makes the game "hardcore". I think these features were cut because the developers rushed out half-made systems to get the game out on time. Which is fine. Arguing against their eventual inclusion is insane though IMO. Great idea if you want the game to feel permanently like a broken half-developed piece of garbage to the average player.

Good video for understanding the concept of "gamer fluency":

If the pet auto engaged any attacker then it would be impossible to sneak attack a tamer.. sounds lame
In a stream henrik said he wanted to make playing with pets less automatic so you have to press hotkeys for the attacks etc and not a 1 button win kind of thing

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
If the pet auto engaged any attacker then it would be impossible to sneak attack a tamer.. sounds lame
In a stream henrik said he wanted to make playing with pets less automatic so you have to press hotkeys for the attacks etc and not a 1 button win kind of thing

Tamers make sense as a role that you can't just quickly dispatch with a few hits to the back if you go for the pet first.

I love the idea of tame's not being a 1 button win kind of thing, and have said that I hope both beast mastery and necromancy are made more like Guild Wars 1 (Which required A LOT of active management to make either role pop-off). That doesn't mean removing an auto-attack from pets is a good idea, or that pet's shouldn't be able to auto-attack anyone that aggresses them. I'm almost entirely sure GW1 had both those standard features. It means that pets are decidedly weaker if you just leave them to autoattack without ability management. Pets just weren't that tough in GW1 if you didn't take any of their activated abilities, and that's the primary way I'd like to see them enhanced as a system in MO2. Nerf their auto-attacks and then buff them with powerful activated abilities.

Last edited:

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Tamers make sense as a role that you can't just quickly dispatch with a few hits to the back if you go for the pet first.

I love the idea of tame's not being a 1 button win kind of thing, and have said that I hope both beast mastery and necromancy are made more like Guild Wars 1 (Which required A LOT of active management to make either role pop-off). That doesn't mean removing an auto-attack from pets is a good idea, or that pet's shouldn't be able to auto-attack anyone that aggresses them. I'm almost entirely sure GW1 had both those standard features. It means that pets are decidedly weaker if you just leave them to autoattack without ability management. Pets just weren't that tough in GW1 if you didn't take any of their activated abilities, and that's the primary way I'd like to see them enhanced as a system in MO2. Nerf their auto-attacks and then buff them with powerful activated abilities.

Beast mastery is supposed to unlock abilities for pets, and I fully agree, the auto attacks should be nerfed and each pet should get 2-3 active abilities from beast mastery that if used well can make it a contender....that said, these abilities should be parryabe, or if not parryable they should be more utility than damage (maybe a bleed that acts like a corrupt or something)

beeboo

Feb 27, 2022
I agree with you! The game is not finalized in this situation! This is sad! When you spent a lot of time on leveling pets and skills. I have upgraded all skills to 100. There are NO additional abilities. (the Bears)

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
I agree with you! The game is not finalized in this situation! This is sad! When you spent a lot of time on leveling pets and skills. I have upgraded all skills to 100. There are NO additional abilities. (the Bears)

Unfortunately there are a lot of systems like this atm, all we can do is pressure SV and play around with the toys we've got now. Personally I'm levelling up pets and leaving them in the stable till it makes sense to use them.

Legion

Feb 1, 2022
this is why my pets havent left the stable i have 2 level 100 birds and 3 level 100 bears and i wont move them from town until they fix pets.....I just roll out with a horse pick up some shitter of an animal and use it for a meat shield atm