Where all the monsters at?

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
Can you please provide a list of MMOs you have played that have that.
All the way back in 1999 Everquest had mobs that would path through entire zones, you never knew exactly where they were and you'd have to "hunt" them down. EQ also had super rare mobs that would only pop and path maybe once every 2 weeks as well. Finding and killing one of these mobs for a chance it's rare loot could drop felt very rewarding and gave you a purpose to go looking for them.

Just about every MMO I've ever played had harvestables that randomly pop up in different locations. Be it Everquest, Everquest2, WoW, ect... they all had nodes that once you picked them they would randomly pop up somewhere else when they respawned. EVE Online (although a different kind of game) also did this with data sites, relic sites, gas clouds, wormholes they all would pop up somewhere different once they despawned. You must have this variety and rareness and randomness for a game to feel exciting.

When things don't roam, when there are no rares and nodes are static, exploration becomes extremely stale very fast once you've been around the map a few times. You gotta mix it up to create that feeling of excitement of not knowing what you might come across to make exploration fun.

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
I'll give an example of something that I think would create a lot of fun game play and it'd be very simple to implement. Lets use the Meduli area as the example since its very populated and everyone knows the lay out. How fun would it be if somewhere within that entire sandy area from where the Tindrem forests end and the jungle to the south begins and all the way from the coast to the forest line of Vadda there were 2 or 3 possible Tephra nodes that could spawn randomly anywhere in that area.

You'd have people out and about all the time searching for those rare nodes creating content for them and for those that would like to hunt those explorers. Now do something like this be it harvestables or rare pathing mobs for all the regions of the game and exploration just became 100X's more exciting over night.

But they must be random, this does not work when they are static because as soon as a valuable static node or mob is put into the game they will be locked down by whatever guild can lock them down. They must be random so even the solo player feels they have a chance at getting their hands on that rare loot.

Accomplish this SV and your world outside of the towns will be brought to life almost overnight. Everyone will be out hunting for these nodes and mobs creating PVP conflicts in the process.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Also, in EVE Online you sometimes came across random enemy ships and stationary defences that usually aren't there. Like the Triglavian-controlled systems, sometimes they would set up disintegrator turrets in asteroid fields so that you can't mine there without getting blown up in seconds. If you then went and brought in your warship to attack it from 100km out they would warp in an entire fleet to pop whatever ship you used. Even a beast like a marauder advanced battleship couldn't last 30 seconds against it.

New Eden now feels more alive because the npc factions appear to be doing things on their own. Take for example the mining corporations or pirates, sometimes you warp to an asteroid field and you will find mining frigates and mining barges cutting away at the rocks. After a while, you will see transport ships warp in to haul the minerals back to their station. If your standing with the faction is negative, they'll even warp away when you arrive and straight up send their battle fleet in to deal with you, just like a real player corporation would.

It's things like this that made me go back to EVE more these days. The feeling that the npcs aren't just going to follow a predictable set of patterns of behaviour that you can easily counter and exploit.

actetto

Apr 21, 2022
I'll give an example of something that I think would create a lot of fun game play and it'd be very simple to implement. Lets use the Meduli area as the example since its very populated and everyone knows the lay out. How fun would it be if somewhere within that entire sandy area from where the Tindrem forests end and the jungle to the south begins and all the way from the coast to the forest line of Vadda there were 2 or 3 possible Tephra nodes that could spawn randomly anywhere in that area.

You'd have people out and about all the time searching for those rare nodes creating content for them and for those that would like to hunt those explorers. Now do something like this be it harvestables or rare pathing mobs for all the regions of the game and exploration just became 100X's more exciting over night.

But they must be random, this does not work when they are static because as soon as a valuable static node or mob is put into the game they will be locked down by whatever guild can lock them down. They must be random so even the solo player feels they have a chance at getting their hands on that rare loot.

Accomplish this SV and your world outside of the towns will be brought to life almost overnight. Everyone will be out hunting for these nodes and mobs creating PVP conflicts in the process.

Any kind of feature like this will never get implemented for the exact reason it is appealing. Any resource, feature, or even BUG in the game that benefits the zerg will never change. Any feature that benefits solo or small scale players will get nerfed and removed.

Simple things like valuable herbs, animals, etc. spawning randomly or even semi-randomly are not in the game by design because it allows zergs to lock it down. It kills immersion, but that's the not the goal of the devs.

Reactions: grilo

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
Any kind of feature like this will never get implemented for the exact reason it is appealing. Any resource, feature, or even BUG in the game that benefits the zerg will never change. Any feature that benefits solo or small scale players will get nerfed and removed.

Simple things like valuable herbs, animals, etc. spawning randomly or even semi-randomly are not in the game by design because it allows zergs to lock it down. It kills immersion, but that's the not the goal of the devs.
It's sad if they are really thinking that way because the guilds have the larger POI's like the dungeons to fight over but something like I posted above with the harvestables or solo rare pathing mobs could be something the small groups or solo players fought over. They could have something for everyone.

grilo

Aug 12, 2020
It's sad if they are really thinking that way because the guilds have the larger POI's like the dungeons to fight over but something like I posted above with the harvestables or solo rare pathing mobs could be something the small groups or solo players fought over. They could have something for everyone.
its hopeless gona try new world... i saw "slaughter" in jungle camp fighting 5 guys then running away low health outrunning the 2 fresh stamina players that tried to intercept him, 1 report was met with "thanks for the report" 2 report was met with "thats normal mortal online 2 gameplay" 3rd report "you are griefing the support team stop or you will be baned" then i said "no im not im reporting a hacker but fuck you to" and get baned.

Reactions: Daikos

actetto

Apr 21, 2022
its hopeless gona try new world... i saw "slaughter" in jungle camp fighting 5 guys then running away low health outrunning the 2 fresh stamina players that tried to intercept him, 1 report was met with "thanks for the report" 2 report was met with "thats normal mortal online 2 gameplay" 3rd report "you are griefing the support team stop or you will be baned" then i said "no im not im reporting a hacker but fuck you to" and get baned.

Lmao, nice dude. Let's just say a lot of people know what the network packets look like from this game.

CistaCista

Mar 13, 2022
All the way back in 1999 Everquest had mobs that would path through entire zones
After doing a few minutes research I doubt this claim, but I would like to hear more.

What I can see is that Everquest had many roaming mobs that were circling certain mob camps, ruins etc., but with paths that could be described after some spying. Not spontaneous, and not zone-wide. I would love to hear an example, the name of an actual zone-wide randomly roaming mob.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022

Sounds about right.. but in defense of the GM staff, they dont play the game so have no clue what is or is not supposed to happen.

grilo

Aug 12, 2020
Sounds about right.. but in defense of the GM staff, they dont play the game so have no clue what is or is not supposed to happen.
that sounds more like one of the many mo2 problems then a defense of the gm team, i understand they dont play the game, but how do they expect for a custumer to react when an obvious hacker gets a pass while they ban the custumer that watchs it all... i had role play human skin rugged garments... i lost nothing on first death and i was able to hide all time and watch it unfold... its even more... stressing? when you call the hacker out he laugs and says "yup starvault paid me to do this" now... i dont know if its a solo troll hacker or actually saying the truth... and the worst part is that i follow this amazing concept sense 2010 and if he was right... it would not have been the first time, when i gave mo2 a chance i decided i would treat starvault as it is, and not as a fan boy who forgive everything like i did in mo1, anyone that plays with me knows that i dont care about losing my stuff i even craft free armors for ppl... and being an honest person who calls things for what they are as met me with 2 bans so far... 0 hacks cheats or bug exploits...

grilo

Aug 12, 2020
even if he was not hacking (wich i would love to see the gameplay video of him fighting 5 guys and outruning 2 new commers stopping only to heal with bandages and pots when the pursuers where out of stamina, allways moving around while bandaging and going straight trough the fighters recovering stamina to attack a mage in the back) even if there was any possible doubt on that situation... i think it would be more reasonable to code a ban on the support ticket then to ban me... in that situation i would have left the game on my own volition, but the way they did it... i wouldnt mind meeting the gm personaly for a chat...

player name is "slaughter".

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
even if he was not hacking (wich i would love to see the gameplay video of him fighting 5 guys and outruning 2 new commers stopping only to heal with bandages and pots when the pursuers where out of stamina, allways moving around while bandaging and going straight trough the fighters recovering stamina to attack a mage in the back) even if there was any possible doubt on that situation... i think it would be more reasonable to code a ban on the support ticket then to ban me... in that situation i would have left the game on my own volition, but the way they did it... i wouldnt mind meeting the gm personaly for a chat...

player name is "slaughter".
Link to the video?

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
that sounds more like one of the many mo2 problems then a defense of the gm team, i understand they dont play the game, but how do they expect for a custumer to react when an obvious hacker gets a pass while they ban the custumer that watchs it all... i had role play human skin rugged garments... i lost nothing on first death and i was able to hide all time and watch it unfold... its even more... stressing? when you call the hacker out he laugs and says "yup starvault paid me to do this" now... i dont know if its a solo troll hacker or actually saying the truth... and the worst part is that i follow this amazing concept sense 2010 and if he was right... it would not have been the first time, when i gave mo2 a chance i decided i would treat starvault as it is, and not as a fan boy who forgive everything like i did in mo1, anyone that plays with me knows that i dont care about losing my stuff i even craft free armors for ppl... and being an honest person who calls things for what they are as met me with 2 bans so far... 0 hacks cheats or bug exploits...

There is a thing called tact. With proper application of tact you can avoid getting banned when discussing things with GMs. They are not going to discuss if they have banned a person for hacking with you or any of us. It is best to leave it at the one report and move on.

The encounter could have had a ton of reasons for this person for getting away in that situation. Let me start with the obvious.

1- They are alvarin with a good build and know how to manage their stamina. Hell when I had a sheevra in beta I could kite anything NOT alvarin all day.

• Haha
Reactions: Daikos and grilo

grilo

Aug 12, 2020
There is a thing called tact. With proper application of tact you can avoid getting banned when discussing things with GMs. They are not going to discuss if they have banned a person for hacking with you or any of us. It is best to leave it at the one report and move on.

The encounter could have had a ton of reasons for this person for getting away in that situation. Let me start with the obvious.

1- They are alvarin with a good build and know how to manage their stamina. Hell when I had a sheevra in beta I could kite anything NOT alvarin all day.
lmao mo1 flashbacks last time i wasnt the one on the spotlight... its ok gl with the game i really hate dramas... but the moment you call something out in this game, a drama starts... as if its the first time. or even reasonable.

Mad Jugger

Aug 8, 2022
Yes, that would be fantastic. It would however also mean that MO provided something that no other MMO has ever done before so I don't think it is in the cards.

Wurm Online and Xsyon are the only MMOS I know that have randomly spawning and wandering mobs, but they don't really have goals in their pathfinding. Then there is Ryzom that has some kind of controlled migration of mobs. And that's it. These are all tiny tiny games, no major developer will want to touch living breathing worlds with a ten-foot pole after EQ Next folded.
You forgot UO you could literally point in any direction out of town and encounter wandering orcs, harpys, ettins, birds, wolves, skeletons, red healers, blue healers, beholders, ghosts, wolves, dogs, cats, chickens, horses, zombies, living trees, etc etc and you would even encounter these wandering mobs attacking each other

Reactions: Grudge Bringer

poorconsumer

Feb 8, 2022
Rode around visited ruins and traveled to another city. Only bandits, taur dogs and cougars. This game needs actual monsters in the wood, ghosts and demons at ruins.

Wtf is only monster I find walking dead. Boring.

Game is asthetically amazing! But what the hell are the designers doing all day long.
plains and desert aren't going to ever have much. you need to know where to look. caves, forest, jungle, and its not an overly populated game either. sounds like ur traveling around meduli. zzz

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
plains and desert aren't going to ever have much. you need to know where to look. caves, forest, jungle, and its not an overly populated game either. sounds like ur traveling around meduli. zzz

I can tell you I have traveled from one end of the continent to the other, seen just about every square kilometer of the 400 square kilometers of the landmass. While I dont agree with the OP, he is partially right, there is no real "monsters" on Myrland. Sure there is the odd mountain spider, or Risar group. A few odds and ends, but nothing that would be considered monsterous.. maybe the Tagmatons... but that is about it.