What do you miss the most about MO1

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
This was a classic back in the day as well 😁

dude it's been way too long since I've seen a MOdick. Holy shit.

They should have polished up the UI, made the world a little more high res, and kept the shat char models. MO1 wasn't that bad graphically. It ran, at least. The inventory stuff was awful, all the ui, too. Once you got 'immersed' the graphics didn't matter, and I was stone sober playing MO1.

POI

Weapon and Armor enhancements(Whetstones and armor tools)

POI is not a term that that should be used. haha. Maybe they did use it in MO1, but they really lowered its value in 2. Demonz wuz demonz.

Forgot about whet.

I miss how you could cook anything. I was cooking with fuming salt. How you could cook people's heads and put them on the broker. It just felt like you had the freedom to do near anything you wanted to do, no matter how dumb it turned out to be.

THE DARKNESS. You are soft if you changed your gamma!

I'm pretty sure MO2 could have fun stuff, too, if people played it and it was good. lol. MO1 was kinda a perfect storm thing, though.

I am only here because I read they are gonna mess w/ horse speeds (like the actual gears) and I think that's the final nail coffin for MO2.

I would have played MO1; if I had a lifetime, I'd prol still derp. I am still upset they stole the free month I was supposed to have. I even hit up a GM. Absolute TRASH.

MO1 goes to show that ambiance and mechanics are more valuable than polish and graphics. It's unbelievable they made a soul-less MO. IMAGINE a MO people quit because THEY ARE BORED haha.

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
I was and went back to darkfall back than 🤷
Darkfall is super relevant to this discussion. During the decline of DFUW the veterans used to make threads just like this one. Reminiscing about DFO. The devs of DFUW starting chasing DFO in their new game, the population continued to decline. Then DFO itself re-released, and guess what...No one played.

Both games eventually died. I just want to point out that MO1 still exists. You can play it right now. Question is...why aren't you if you love it so much?

MO2 is superior in every way to MO1 but that doesn't mean it gets a pass. The game will continue to suffer until it follows the recipe and it is designed from the bottom up. Currently it is a top-down design.

The recipe: Focusing on solo play, character progression loops, build diversity and balance, wealth generation. These are the bread and butter activities in a PVP game unironically. After you have player activities in the game you start focusing on risk vs reward, certain areas of the map are distinctly more dangerous and rewarding with the best progression areas and wealth generation.

Finally after you have all of that ironed out you can look at large group content, competitive PVP arenas, cosmetic achievements.

There's a recipe that every successful PVP MMO had to follow, because if you don't follow that recipe then the game will die. It's been trial and errored so many times by now. You have bricks for brains if you can't recognize the patterns from the heaps of dead PVP MMO corpses.

Get the game in a solo friendly state with tons of character progression or the game will continue to decay. No amount of MO1 cope will get these population metrics up.

Getting a MMO into a solo friendly ruleset can be done 3 ways.

1.Core combat: Introduce a new combat meta that focus's on small AOE's, with control and mitigation options and/Or implement stealth mechanics/hard disengage mechanics.

2.Hard coded restrictions: OSRS Ruleset, 1v1's only half the map, FFA half the map.

3.Safezone route: Overt safezones cover a large portion of the map. Death penalties heavily reduced in these areas. Character progression and wealth generation lower in these areas then unrestricted areas.

The thing is you can not have 3 without 1 to some extent. Both EVE and Albion use a mixture of 3 and 1. You must use 3 and 1 together unless you implement 2. OSRS uses all 3. Honestly EVE/Albion use all 3 as well, if you count their instanced content.

Last edited:

manure

May 7, 2022
Its weird that so many people say they miss THIEVERY, but yet when we had the opportunity to have it, AT LAST, on that Terrible official Poll made by Starvault to determine the Roadmap direction, nobody chose Thievery.
Instead, people chose "New armor", "new combat crap", "new points of interest with chests with 2 silvers inside" and other worthless things.

They even offered us to have POISONING, coming along with Thievery...
And EVEN WITH THAT BONUS, people had the audacity to choose ordinary crap instead !!!

I will never understand how that happened... That was depressing, to say the least :(

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
Its weird that so many people say they miss THIEVERY, but yet when we had the opportunity to have it, AT LAST, on that Terrible official Poll made by Starvault to determine the Roadmap direction, nobody chose Thievery.
Instead, people chose "New armor", "new combat crap", "new points of interest with chests with 2 silvers inside" and other worthless things.

They even offered us to have POISONING, coming along with Thievery...
And EVEN WITH THAT BONUS, people had the audacity to choose ordinary crap instead !!!

I will never understand how that happened... That was depressing, to say the least :(
I'm going to guess the reason they never showed the vote counts was because they were inflated beyond believability with anyone making numerous Gmail email address's given those extra votes. I'm sure some carebear took advantage of this and made sure their picks got the "votes"

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I'm going to guess the reason they never showed the vote counts was because they were inflated beyond believability with anyone making numerous Gmail email address's given those extra votes. I'm sure some carebear took advantage of this and made sure their picks got the "votes"
It would be interesting to see what platform and criteria they use for their next poll. If they continue to use the same Google Docs, it may just confirm to people that SV does not care that the feature poll (and results) were a slap in the face to those who had supported SV all these years, and an insult to their intelligence.