Veterinary is trash and useless

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Henrik said this was supposed to be fixed in last patch but it's not.

He got asked liked 10 times in his latest stream (including from me). Sounds like they made a change that there's a bonus heal that is based on the total HP of the animal (ie Campadons etc would be healed more) and that they are monitoring and listening to feedback from here. Sound like it's something that is likely to continue to be tweaked.

• Love
Reactions: bbihah
D

Deleted member 44

Skill should either not exist an bandaging pets should scale off anatomy or it should be a secondary.
Should be a secondary to anatomy IMO. Make it share the parent secondary of Domestication for all I care, but if you're telling me that you know how to bandage your leg but then look at a bleeding horse and your character doesn't have a clue just doesn't make any sense.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
He got asked liked 10 times in his latest stream (including from me). Sounds like they made a change that there's a bonus heal that is based on the total HP of the animal (ie Campadons etc would be healed more) and that they are monitoring and listening to feedback from here. Sound like it's something that is likely to continue to be tweaked.
I've tested it on a black bear (only 5x). It got 450 life in total.
100 Veterinary.
It wasn't damaged after applying the bandage.
The heals were between 23 to 40.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
Should be a secondary to anatomy IMO. Make it share the parent secondary of Domestication for all I care, but if you're telling me that you know how to bandage your leg but then look at a bleeding horse and your character doesn't have a clue just doesn't make any sense.
Well I'm consider more of the fact that it not really viable to bandage your pet during combat as a form of healing. Firstly you need to being standing right on top pet to use a bandage on it, second it only usable ever 15-20s, third it only heals for 30-40 HP at max level. The only time your bandaging your pet is in-between fights, simple put there a reason most pet tamers in this game use magic to heal their pet over bandages 99 times out of 100.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Skill should either not exist an bandaging pets should scale off anatomy or it should be a secondary.

Agreed. Either do it that way or buff it massively. Veterinary is trash out-of-combat heals (Because taking the time to do it in-combat would be insane) for animals. That is not deserving of a primary.

Most my builds do in-combat heals right on the back of my horse's head for extra healing, and they're not trash. Takes more points and decent int. But why make people invest primaries into something they are objectively terrible at?

And to add further clarification to my perspective. My builds aren't going to lose magic if veterinary is made free. I'm actually in favor of buffing fighters on this particular point. Vet is so bad you're better off saving the points and letting allied mages/hybrids do it for you. It's a quality of life skill for solo play. Quality of life skills for solo play shouldn't be primaries.

If it stays a primary, it somehow needs to be made as good for healing pets as bandaging is for players. A player can bandage on the run, no mana, in heavy armor. Makes sense as a 100 point investment. It's a lot slower healing process than magic heals but it's good. Totally different than having to stop and aim at a pet for similarly crap heals.

Last edited:

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Anyone tried to heal pets of other people with veterinary? I tried it but somehow it didn't work. Is that supposed to be that way?

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Maxisan

May 25, 2021
@Henrik Nyström @Sebastian Persson

I believe the way to make Veterinary worth it for tamers, is to gradually reduce the timer on pet bandage as you level the skill up (current takes way too long to bandage pet), and to increase the heal to a percentage of total pet health. I think you could try testing at level 100 veterinary the speed is reduced by half, and the bandage heal is 25% of pet health (again at 100 veterinary) and keep it Primary. If you do not want to make Veterinary a viable healing option for tamers then slightly buff the heal but change it to secondary.