Valheim sell over 4 million copies in just a few weeks.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I have been giving this game a try for a couple weeks and it checks a lot of boxes for me.

With major minus lacking first person view, open pvp and a single world for everyone.

I know they are two different types of games, but if mortal had the gameplay of this EA game along with its own core then it would be unbeatable.

Reactions: Treibholz

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
Im definitely going to play it. Scoutn a hill top in MO while dodging sea monsters will be fun. Might let down a few soldiers in my guild :rolleyes:

Reactions: Amadman

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Yeah, it will most likely only hold my attention for a little while. I mostly just play with my wife since its not really an mmo or anything like that.

By no means is it a replacement for MO. Though it is very entertaining for $20.

There are alot of things in this game that I would like to see in Mortal though. Ships, falling trees, depleting nodes, a pretty open and free building system, swimming mobs, projectile arrows, ect....

I know many things in it can not work in MO. For example the worlds are randomly generated. You can also make multiple characters and play them across the different worlds you make. Or even join steam friends worlds with any of your characters.

I think many players that play this type of game could cross over to MO if it offered enough for them.

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
Well, I like the granum nodes a lot in MO, looks like they could be converted into voxels one day, if enough people run rigs to handle it.

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
The reason I want to play it; when looking at the inventory of people, its varied, which leads me to believe that the crafting system is fairly in depth.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
The reason I want to play it; when looking at the inventory of people, its varied, which leads me to believe that the crafting system is fairly in depth.

Skills raise by doing things but crafting doesn't have skills. It is basically a discovery type of system where you learn recipes as you get the items for it.

For example, I have found 3 types of wood. Every time I find one it opens up the recipes for items that use that wood along with other items I have already found/discovered. So if an item needs a certain wood and bronze nails and I have already crafted bronze nails then I will get the recipe. If I do not have bronze nails then I will not get that recipe until I get nails too.

I think you can even give someone something and they will learn that way as well. My wife told me that she gained some recipes for farming when I gave her a tool to farm with.

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
Sounds less complicated than I figured. On the up side, could be limitless unlockable recipes :rolleyes: ,no? damn.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Sounds less complicated than I figured. On the up side, could be limitless unlockable recipes :rolleyes: ,no? damn.

Right, the system is not complicated and would not fit for an MMO. Many items you will only need one since things are reparable to full. Add that to no other players to sell too and it really limits what you can do as a crafter. Other than building, upgrading and cooking.

The complex part of it is obtaining things to open up the recipes. There are no levels or anything in the game but there is still a natural progression that you have to work through to get better stuff.

There are multiple biomes of varying difficulties that all have different resources and NPCs. So you pretty much have to build up to survive them.

There are also 'bosses' that open up some progression as well.

Reactions: Treibholz

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Same, felt boring to me aswell. Just the same old nothing truly new or inovative. It just got lucky in the coverage.

Hopefully SV will be at least half as lucky then.

But there is more to it than that I think. The game is fairly solid for an EA title which seems to be reflected in the reviews and sales.

Compare it to something like Atlas (a similar game in many ways) which had a lot of hype but was a dumpster fire at its release.

This is why I am glad to see SV taking time to get things together better before releasing on steam.

The game does not have to be feature rich. But what is there needs to be solid and stand on its own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avenoma

Treibholz

Nov 30, 2020
Yeah, it will most likely only hold my attention for a little while. I mostly just play with my wife since its not really an mmo or anything like that.

By no means is it a replacement for MO. Though it is very entertaining for $20.

There are alot of things in this game that I would like to see in Mortal though. Ships, falling trees, depleting nodes, a pretty open and free building system, swimming mobs, projectile arrows, ect....

I know many things in it can not work in MO. For example the worlds are randomly generated. You can also make multiple characters and play them across the different worlds you make. Or even join steam friends worlds with any of your characters.

I think many players that play this type of game could cross over to MO if it offered enough for them.

"There are alot of things in this game that I would like to see in Mortal though. Ships, falling trees, depleting nodes, a pretty open and free building system, swimming mobs, projectile arrows, ect...."
YES!!

And it has also much better AI, I think!
Also bought Valheim around a week ago. It is amazing for many reasons and I can't stop playing it! It is the first survival crafting game that doesn't annoy me : )

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
And it has also much better AI, I think!
Also bought Valheim around a week ago. It is amazing for many reasons and I can't stop playing it! It is the first survival crafting game that doesn't annoy me : )

Agreed. Even the ones I like, I usually get bored of in less than 100-150 hours. Usually because I feel I have experienced everything already.

I picked this up a little over 2 weeks ago and have 169 hours in it so far.

I have spent alot of time building but I am just getting where I venture into the outer edges of swamps, dont have iron, and can not withstand the cold of the mountains yet. So there should be a bit of play left.

I believe that is a fair amount of good entertainment for $20.

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
I just got it a few days ago. Im having a lot of fun. I really like the minecraft style weapons upgrade. Theres just enough variety in the items to keep it interesting for me. Solo im at day 80 and not on the 3rd boss yet.

Just building a huge fort is pretty fun. Reminds me of a far less complicated Ark:Survival

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
300 + hours and still have not been to the 3rd boss either. Lol. I guess I am easily distracted. The wife probably has as many hours as me (maybe more) and has not even fought the 2nd. I don't even think she has been in the burial chambers without me. But she finds her own fun in the game like a good sandbox will allow you too do.

I have ventured into all the normal biomes though. Swamps where tricky at first but got easier with exp and better food. Mountains where deadly do to cold but once can deal with that then it don't seem as bad as swamps. I Still only occasionally cautiously tip toe around the edges of plains and mostly avoid them when in a boat.

Last edited:

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
I just made it to the swamp. Felt like I was never going to find it. I kept wanting to just say F'it and try to brave the mountains, but I guess I need info on other biomes before I can sleep in the mountains.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I was lucky and had a very small piece of swamp on my initial continent. I also had like an abandoned camp that had been taken over by the swamp creatures in a dark forest. So I got some experience with the creatures early on. But I had to search far and wide to find swamps with crypts.

I dont want to spoil anything but there are things in the swamp that can help you in surviving the mountains.

• Love
Reactions: Avenoma