Utility Spiritism Spell Idea: Spirit Lantern

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
Currently we lack a light spell, and it looks like the only schools that have one will at least be two magic schools away (since Necromancy will be next).

When thinking of ideas for Spiritism, I thought that a 'Spirit Lantern'-type of spell could do the trick. It fits in with Spiritism's concept nicely (especially because the spirits already glow in the Spirit Boxes) and it doesn't really have any balance issues to consider. Just a harmless passive/utility spell that summons a 'wisp' in the form of a light that floats around the player.

It could either slowly drain MP while toggled on, or block out a portion of the caster's MP until it's desummoned/toggled off, or something else like just having a set duration. Ideally it wouldn't be AI following the player around—just a small bright light attached to the player that floats around them.

(As for colors, something from pure white, to a pale pinkish color, to a red would all make sense considering Spiritism's colors.)

Runaljod

Jan 3, 2021
Better if they just move Light Orb from Elementalism to Ecumenical. It's not a elemental spell as far as I can tell. Also like the idea of a spirit lantern so maybe when they get around to adding these "belt lanterns" they could allow for a spirit box to be equipped in the same way. How filled the box is could determine how bright it will glow. They already have such detailed models for the boxes so why not. you could also have it spend those spirits slowly while equipped here. Another small market for spiritists to do their thing.

Pech

Sep 5, 2021
Love the idea of a spiritualism spell that gives off light and can be casted onto other people. Makes a lot of sense in the school, like calling a minor spirit to follow you around. It can be differentiated from the light orb spell in elementalism by being a smaller light source that sticks to a player with some sorta mana limitation (a passive mana cost that ticks over time or maybe locking off 30% of your mana or so on)

I can imagine it leading to a lot of new players getting interested in spiritualism by seeing this. Maybe you see. A small orb following a player providing light, nobody wants to be a torch holder in a dungeon and this will just give more utility and planning to dungeons

I love this idea a lot. I really think the game needs more utility style spells with uses outside of just pure combat. More elements to play with in the sandbox. Maybe even give spiritualist the ability to cast a minor spirit onto an enemy player to glow them up allowing your group to target them better. Or casting the spell on enemies if they try to run and hide so you can track them better. With thievery I could imagine people using it to stop players from hiding in bushes and such like henrik has said

obviously if a spell like this takes weeks to develop and is a serious issue with manpower it shouldn’t be prioritized. But a minor spell like this would add a lot to spiritualism I would say. Alongside any other tweaks the school needs.

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
I love to imagine the color this ether light gives off.... Perhaps that black/white ish color we see? or the reddish of the spirits?
will be eerie either way!

FRLR4B1J2GF07WR.png

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJnaWZcL2NvbG9yLXNwbGFzaC1sZWFmLTM2MHgyNDAuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOnsicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjo1NDAsImhlaWdodCI6MzAzfX19

08-final-cropped.png

THAT! Directed into an lit orb ;)

Last edited:

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
The light can be sort of tied to the lore as well. When we go into the etherworld and summon restless spirits with transcendental seance they come with orbs that attack us. We could summon these same orbs and depending on your mastery they attack your mana which to them is kau leading to a small drain over time with the most masterful barely even noticing the drain. Maybe you can cast it multiple times to draw more spirits for more light. Would also be a neat way to mark targets in PvP as well as drain their mana.

Reactions: Pech and Runaljod