Utility spell to solve the 'third-person' problem: Arcane Eye

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
There's been a lot of feedback around not being able to see yourself in-world. Peoples' suggestions have ranged from third-person in taverns to being able to place down a mirror. I decided to try to tackle that while prioritizing immersion, since that's high on SV's priority list.
  • When 'Arcane Eye' is cast (self-cast only), your character is forced to stay where they are. Your perspective shifts to a small, glowing orb that can freely float around for a time.
    • Using emotes on your character is possible while 'Arcane Eye' is active, allowing it to be effective for taking screenshots, recording videos for YouTube, and so-on.
  • You control this orb with WASD.
    • Mechanically it copies the movement of swimming, allowing 'floaty' (not precise) travel in all directions.
  • While taking on the perspective of the orb, if you try to activate the spell again, it ends and you're back to your own perspective.
  • If this orb leaves a certain radius around you, the spell ends.
  • This orb is visible to NPCs and other players.
  • If attacked, it immediately disappears. It effectively has 0HP and zero defense, meaning that even a spurt spell can destroy it instantly.
    • Could add a 'blind' effect for a few seconds on the person whose Arcane Eye spell was interrupted.
  • It could be used for peeking around corners in a way that still shows you're peeking around corners, getting a better perspective of an unfamiliar area, as well as getting a third-person view of (and thus taking screenshots/videos of) your character.
  • Enchanted items, such as a ring, could add this spell to a player's skill list, allowing them to put the spell in their hotbar and have it be cast while the item is worn.
    • If the player dies, the item is dropped.
  • There could be various features to 'upgrade' Arcane Eye, like being able to cast it with Night Sight and True Sight.
    • These could also simply be separate very high level 'combination' spells, like Arcane Night Eye and Arcane True Eye.
From reading over the magic schools, I think this would fit best in Mentalism. Mentalism scrolls in MO1 included an 'Alarm' spell which, if it works like 5e's alarm spell, has a very similar "create mental awareness of a space you aren't" concept. Mentalism also has various sight-based spells, as well as spells for levitation and teleportation. It seems to fit right in.

(A similar concept could be added to various schools, like Necromancy having a 'Crawling Eye' spell (art credit) that does the same, just a tiny eye crawling along the ground instead (though maybe it could jump onto rocks/tables/etc.?). Or Animism allowing you to take control of an animal companion and see things through their perspective.)

Last edited:

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Very creative (though not original) idea. SImilar to the Tavern and mirror suggestions, I also don't see an issue with this if it were implemented properly.

It would need to be locked behind skills / mana cost, otherwise everyone would run it to be able to scout. However, considering how Alvarins can see through walls once every so often, I don't think this is too much different from that.

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
Very creative (though not original) idea. SImilar to the Tavern and mirror suggestions, I also don't see an issue with this if it were implemented properly.

It would need to be locked behind skills / mana cost, otherwise everyone would run it to be able to scout. However, considering how Alvarins can see through walls once every so often, I don't think this is too much different from that.
Yup, absolutely not original. And agreed with skills/mana cost as well.

Reactions: Nefnate

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
Cool idea but there would have to be some sort of change either with the magic system or the magic school it goes into. Currently all spells can be cast on any target and it would be terrible for this to be used offensively. Maybe give it a really long cast time to avoid that but you wouldn't want to cast this on another player and it stops them from moving until they go out of range or is jarring to quickly switch view points. I would say they need to make certain spells that can only be cast on yourself.

Reactions: Tuhtram

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
Cool idea but there would have to be some sort of change either with the magic system or the magic school it goes into. Currently all spells can be cast on any target and it would be terrible for this to be used offensively. Maybe give it a really long cast time to avoid that but you wouldn't want to cast this on another player and it stops them from moving until they go out of range or is jarring to quickly switch view points. I would say they need to make certain spells that can only be cast on yourself.
All schools work differently, and Henrik did already mention only being able to cast certain spells on yourself—so I think this sort of thing would work fine. The new ecumenical spell he mentioned in his last stream was self-cast only.

Definitely agreed though, self-cast only. Edited that in, so thank you for bringing it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah