un-nerf spiritism

Philocypher

Nov 26, 2023
Bring back spirit scouting.

Simply nerfing this was a lazy solution to a problem and it doesn't even really solve the problem.

The problem is that there's no way to counter a spirit stalker.

A creative solution to this problem was proposed by another player...

Firstly, give seance the ability to temporarily reveal spirits in the area. Make them untargetable so you can't see who they are, or maybe just make it pop up in your log, "there are 3 spirits nearby." Whatever, just a 0-point way to test whether or not spirits are around.

Secondly, create ways for the living to deal with spirits. The most interesting and creative way to do this that I've read is as follows:

A necromancy spell that affects a large radius, maybe 20m², and forcefully raises spirits as zombies. Trap them in a shambling walker who then has to feebly defend himself or run and hide for a minute or two duration. If the spell expires, the zombie dies and the spirit escapes, keeping his spirit boxes. If players kill the zombie, all of his spirit boxes drop to the ground and the player is banished.

There could even be some tie-in with control/command undead. Maybe the spiritist gets forced to obey the necromancer for a short time? This would bring back spirit stalkers and make the counter fun and compelling.

To prevent griefing this, they could make the spell only affect spirits with spirit boxes and/or add a cooldown so that players become immune to being raised for a period of time after escaping their zombiedom.

What does everyone think?

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
I'd say cool idea but a bit too complex for starvault to implement. If we were going for as simple solution as possible to return spirit scouting but with a counter it would probably be a new spiritism spell that acts as a buff that makes you invisible to the spiritists for some period of time, that way if you dont want to be scouted, you just make sure all your members have the buff aplied to them periodically.

Philocypher

Nov 26, 2023
I'd say cool idea but a bit too complex for starvault to implement. If we were going for as simple solution as possible to return spirit scouting but with a counter it would probably be a new spiritism spell that acts as a buff that makes you invisible to the spiritists for some period of time, that way if you dont want to be scouted, you just make sure all your members have the buff aplied to them periodically.
someone suggested that magic reflect block awareness.

That could be a good idea and would make sense lore-wise.

Right now, it breaks lore for me to be able to see bandits but not players. There's no lore-explanation for this.

Cinos

Feb 20, 2022
Etherworld
Look, just let spirits see player characters, armor and all. Its a dumb change. I am still scouting, so it doesn't prevent that. Its dumb that I can see arrows, npc guards, animals, and zombies but I can't see players. It was a dumb change that wasn't thoroughly reviewed before implementation. It was a dumb bandaid to fix a small outcry of players that don't touch spiritism and want to play chivalry inside MO2.

Mad Jugger

Aug 8, 2022
Look, just let spirits see player characters, armor and all. Its a dumb change. I am still scouting, so it doesn't prevent that. Its dumb that I can see arrows, npc guards, animals, and zombies but I can't see players. It was a dumb change that wasn't thoroughly reviewed before implementation. It was a dumb bandaid to fix a small outcry of players that don't touch spiritism and want to play chivalry inside MO2.
So like everything SV does? Since release this is how they always do things. Why stay around it wont change

Cinos

Feb 20, 2022
Etherworld
So like everything SV does? Since release this is how they always do things. Why stay around it wont change
I like spiriting around and doing spirit things. I don't like the nerfs to what I view as a weaker magic school compared to the other schools, but I like that even in the spirit world I have a role in small and large team fights and I continue to enjoy that. I took a long break after the nerfs but the game still drew me back because the spirit stuff is fun for me.

The bugs annoy the EFF out of me though, the constantly dropping or visual bug dropping buffs, the mana glitches from other spirits that drains your kau in a node (until they crash inevitably), and the players using auto aim to insta kill you... but I still have fun running around the world as a ghost.

Philocypher

Nov 26, 2023
I like spiriting around and doing spirit things. I don't like the nerfs to what I view as a weaker magic school compared to the other schools, but I like that even in the spirit world I have a role in small and large team fights and I continue to enjoy that. I took a long break after the nerfs but the game still drew me back because the spirit stuff is fun for me.

The bugs annoy the EFF out of me though, the constantly dropping or visual bug dropping buffs, the mana glitches from other spirits that drains your kau in a node (until they crash inevitably), and the players using auto aim to insta kill you... but I still have fun running around the world as a ghost.
I don't understand why they needed to nerf spiritism.
because people cried about CCTV!

But the problem with spirit scouting was that it could be done with no risk! It couldn't be counter-played.
The nerf to spiritism just doesn't make sense. it doesn't fix the issues with it and it doesn't make sense in the lore.

People are now expected to somehow come up with tens of thousands of gold to get portal knowledge when it really really sucks???

spirits glitch around (they didn't used to), can't see living players, no flux parties... can you even /emote crackknuckles at people???

Restore spiritism and portal knowledge to its former glory. Introduce fun and exciting counter-play.

Reactions: Xunila