The Ranked Arena

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
So Henrik has already talked about this in some stream chats and hopefully, this is more realistic than the boats.

The arena was added in MO1 as well and honestly, the implementation wasn't great, clearly, there was a different idea behind the arena in MO1 but from what Henrik has been saying, it's hopefully going to be something more useful in this game. There are a few things I hope SV has down to get it right this time.

If you are to make a ranked ladder, make it equalized. Queuing for a "ranked" match in full tungsteel or oghmium is retarded. If anything, have one queue that is ranked where all gear is equalized whatever way it needs to be solved to account for armor weights, etc, and a separate queue where you can sign up for a full loot match.

Have a few different ladders, like 1v1, 3v3, and 5v5. Maybe even something bigger like 15v15 30v30 etc, with randomized teams. There should be options for randomized 5v5 and signing up with a team etc.

To actually have a successful arena system I think the signups should be possible from any town at some kind of big leaderboard. This way it would be something that would bring activity to the game and get ppl to log in without having to move halfway across the map, being red and all that stuff.

An arena system is a MAJOR piece of content and I know there are MANY people who would play the game solely for this if it was actually made right, kind of like WoW arena, etc. It's a lot of resources to get all features implemented but if it is actually made fleshed out like that, then it won't just be some dead random piece of content that nobody uses after a month.

Lumos

Jan 4, 2022
No equalization, no free gear. Death comes at a cost and choosing the gear to complement your character, as well as showing your confidence or wealth through material choices, is a big thing.

That being said, a leaderboard post or big board in every town where in-game info is posted and perhaps leaderboards are shown would be very cool. More likely we will have to rely on players acting as town criers, traveling around and telling people what's going on for some small coins, which isn't a bad thing either!

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

Beatel

Apr 18, 2022
No equalization, no free gear. Death comes at a cost and choosing the gear to complement your character, as well as showing your confidence or wealth through material choices, is a big thing.

Definitely agree with this; it will also help drive the weaponsmithing and armorsmithing economy.

Reactions: Lumos

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Can't have fun things because they aren't sandbox enough for some. Everything has to be player run and happen organically. They'll tell you to run your own arena

Reactions: cerqo

Beatel

Apr 18, 2022
Can't have fun things because they aren't sandbox enough for some. Everything has to be player run and happen organically. They'll tell you to run your own arena

Player run arena events can be great content as well, might even need to hire protection to make sure things run smoothly. An arena with all the mechanics built in game for it will obviously require a lot of work and be far in the future, but it would still be an awesome feature.

Vaith

May 28, 2020
cerqo put thousands of hours into dueling, starvault pls gib him rated arena so he can show off arena rating like you can in WoW arena or other esport games except this is a 1.5k player game.

For real tho i think Rated Arena would be anything anyone ever does - farming good gear and fighting in the world would become a pointless waste of time

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
cerqo put thousands of hours into dueling, starvault pls gib him rated arena so he can show off arena rating like you can in WoW arena or other esport games except this is a 1.5k player game.

For real tho i think Rated Arena would be anything anyone ever does - farming good gear and fighting in the world would become a pointless waste of time

It would only be pointless if TC is pointless, which it shouldnt be so its up to SV to make it not pointless to leave town.

Also RP Andy and his boys with the whole "start your own arena" shit can go ahead and start their own, I mean we had an arena for that in MO1, it worked out so well right.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
So Henrik has already talked about this in some stream chats and hopefully, this is more realistic than the boats.

The arena was added in MO1 as well and honestly, the implementation wasn't great, clearly, there was a different idea behind the arena in MO1 but from what Henrik has been saying, it's hopefully going to be something more useful in this game. There are a few things I hope SV has down to get it right this time.

If you are to make a ranked ladder, make it equalized. Queuing for a "ranked" match in full tungsteel or oghmium is retarded. If anything, have one queue that is ranked where all gear is equalized whatever way it needs to be solved to account for armor weights, etc, and a separate queue where you can sign up for a full loot match.

Have a few different ladders, like 1v1, 3v3, and 5v5. Maybe even something bigger like 15v15 30v30 etc, with randomized teams. There should be options for randomized 5v5 and signing up with a team etc.

To actually have a successful arena system I think the signups should be possible from any town at some kind of big leaderboard. This way it would be something that would bring activity to the game and get ppl to log in without having to move halfway across the map, being red and all that stuff.

An arena system is a MAJOR piece of content and I know there are MANY people who would play the game solely for this if it was actually made right, kind of like WoW arena, etc. It's a lot of resources to get all features implemented but if it is actually made fleshed out like that, then it won't just be some dead random piece of content that nobody uses after a month.
I remember when SV made an arena in MO1 to respond to a general concensus of people in the forum convinced it was THE piece of content it was going to save the game. After like 4 months of developing it, it came with a patch and it was proven to be the absolutly worst piece of shit and SV took so long to deliver. It was so shit not even the strongest supporters didnt use it for its purpose, it was a place for players to exploit a few things about the game and it got closed not long after for quite a few months. This Is how much faith i have in mortal and Henrique to make an arena.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Gear caps would be a good thing. Absolutely agree people shouldn't be bringing cronite and ohgmium into an arena.

Would really like to see 1v1s left out entirely though TBH. This game is terribly optimized around 1v1s. Teamfights in a fairly large area with a bit in the way of terrain features to play around with is the only thing that is going to showcase what this game is and should continue to be balanced around.

1v1s will either entirely exclude certain builds or be dominated by them. Just not a good situation. It's better not to encourage the playerbase to care about combat that should never be a focus of balance.

Last edited:

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
as for town crier ... yah they had those in uo.. it was an news npc situated in every lawfull town.