The failure of spiritism and possible solutions

Anachroniser

Aug 9, 2020
I dont think I conveyed my point very well there. If my memory serves me correctly the actual reason Spiritism ressurections were awful and never used was because they gave you statloss.

Once TC allowed us to all have our own personal guild priests that avoided statloss it made spiritism ressurections even more undesirable than they already were.

If Spiritism res didnt give statloss I was proposing it might have actually been useful.
Spiritism didnt give statloss to blues or greys, no clue if reds got it. Spiritism resurrections were used a ton in dungeons, my group wouldn't run sators with anybody who hadnt done it before without a spiritist. In pvp it was undesirable as you had to stand still and use all of your mana just to resurrect one person, who spawned naked and heavily damaged. Yet again, I'm not saying spiritism was useless, just that it was useless on its own.

Philthie

Sep 13, 2020
I dont know what MO2 will have with regards to a flaggin system but if it has any sort of red flag or stat loss all they need to do is remove statloss from spiritism res to make me want to take it on a char.

Agead_Drem

Sep 13, 2020
I dont know what MO2 will have with regards to a flaggin system but if it has any sort of red flag or stat loss all they need to do is remove statloss from spiritism res to make me want to take it on a char.
Or no stat loss upon usage of an ether portal? I believe you just need 50 skill in the secondary, currently.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
@Sebastian Persson add the portal spell at your own peril. The consequences of that spell with having people portal in places up high and then wall off with portal blockers is too great. Even if you don’t intend to have wall and portal blockers in the game it’s something you should stay away from if you have any sense

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I dont think I conveyed my point very well there. If my memory serves me correctly the actual reason Spiritism ressurections were awful and never used was because they gave you statloss.

Once TC allowed us to all have our own personal guild priests that avoided statloss it made spiritism ressurections even more undesirable than they already were.

If Spiritism res didnt give statloss I was proposing it might have actually been useful.

Back in the day I argued that only spiritist should be able to revive without statloss. That was when statloss was a set mechanic in combination with the terrible flagging system. But of course SV went with the "spend money, get a safezone and oh wait you get no statloss as well" to push the teeth of small guilds in even more. *sigh* Oh well, that´s over now.

I agree on principle with your suggestion. ANYTHING a NPC can do, a player should be able to do better. It´s one of the reasons why I don´t like the fact tht building packs are apparently NPC bound. It goes against the logic of MO in my head. The NPC are living in our world, not the other way around.

In more general term I would say that every school needs a hallmark spell that can do something no other school can.

Spiritism: Resurrection (Harmonism might have that as well), banishment and portal (other schools might have portals of a different kind)
Elementalism: change the weather
Nekromancy: creating creatures, generally having minions fight for you
Ecu: Ähem ... being super basic

That is why I believe spiritism only needs tweaking really.

boogis

Nov 15, 2020

Eskaldar

Jun 25, 2020
I've been thinking what could be really useful to spiritism. If you talk about spiritism as a scout in the world of the dead, then you can make it more interesting.
Let's imagine that a spiritist can go to the world of the dead without dying. That is, your body remains in a state of meditation and will not die, and the soul leaves the body and can explore the world until, say, the effect of this spell ends or until you are banned or you decide to exit through someone's open ether portal. If you are banned, then the body dies and the loot falls where you left the body. The same thing happens when you exit the portal into the world of the living. What does it give you? You can explore the space ahead in the world of the dead, at high speed and be a guide in the dungeons. And I don't think it's something super overpowered. This is just my suggestion and vision of how spiritism can be developed.

Nisse

Jun 17, 2021
Not dying would save a lot of reserves. There could also be a “go back to body” button as well as the closest priest/home priest buttons. It would definitely feel better from an RP perspective than dying.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
They would really make all spirit spells castable while moving which doest not impact to PvP. Except for mental projection, which should remain motionless.
And maybe leave portals motionless for safety to prevent abuse.

Really portals is nice and convenient but any person rezing by it needs to have like 60 lore in it so its not really worth while.
The whole resurrect mechanic cant be done in combat really. There too many hoops to jump through to make it happen.

Playing Divinity 2 recently and they have a system of "grey barring" your mana/stamina for all ways up abilities. If you wanted mage armor instead of recasting it every fight it would always be on but limit your mana by 10%. So you only had 90% of your mana available.

So what if instead of always recasting things like trans awareness to see spirits, your player would toggle it on and then it would take up a portion of your mana bar. Similar to grey barring you mana.

This would make certain things in the game way more convenient and not cast 3 spells in a row to do something. Think how much better it would be if instead of standing still for 8 seconds to cast a spell to see spirits you can just walk around and see the people you are trying to res.

Fighting jelly fish IDK but if you make spiritism movable then you can make a mini game of dodging the AoE attacks or the animation attacks. Even if you need to stand still with mental projection to hit the jellyfish you can make the attacks long enough to give a window to dodge and then MP the jellyfish before it attacks again.

Reactions: Raknor