TC is here but where are the players?

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
The other disappointing thing is how there havent been very many sieges so far. Ive heard of only 1 so far and not sure if they managed to actually destroyed the keep. Most people seem more willing to just sell a keep they cant defend.

How ridiculous is it to implement a sige mechanic that makes it more expensive to siege assets than it does to build them? Its moronic, especially since the victors have to rebuild from scratch which basically doubles your costs. This way nobody wants to spend the time and gold to a actually siege. Its way cheaper to just pay for the keep transfer.

This patch was supposed to give everyone reasons to pvp. Instead they made it way too complicated, boring and expensive so now nobody even bothers with it.

Not even 2 weeks into TC and we are already back to MO1 with the 3 giant nutcups all content with just holding their keeps and avoiding expensive and tedious wars.
It was their way of trying to fix ninja sieging I guess? Or protect randoms from getting their houses knocked by larger guilds? Lets ignore the fact there are proven systems that work in other games, but you know Henrik....he has to be "world first/biggest" and come up with his very own unique shit and let his players test it out.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Might have grown out of it tbh. There's hardly a thrill in butchering people or getting butchered, the thrill is in overcoming adversity which you don't really do.

As for the subject of "balance" we've argued back and forth for years that the entire idea of balance is subjective, and that a core aspect of the game has been and always will be asymmetry- which by its nature is inherently imbalanced as there needs to be a mix of hard and soft counters to everything, and people of one playstyle might not like that they are countered by another playstyle. That's understandable but is also healthy for the dynamic of the gameplay. The only way anything could ever truly be "balanced" would be to make this game an arena with all weapons of all types having the same exact damage and attack speed values, and all armor mitigating the same damage. That is true balance, and MO has always been very far away from that.

You know me, I always had more of a thrill when combat had "meaning" through politics, conquest, objectives, etc. Just killing for the sake of killing was more tedious than it was fun, especially since there were only a handful of players I could actually rely on as peers in combat and others were more or less just meat-shields- which is cold of me to say but that's the cynical way of looking at the past when I led players as soldiers.
I really think you're just running on outdated information. The old idea that MO1 is really a great game that suffers from QOL issues and a small indie team that struggles with advertisement.

The new reality is that mo2 is a dogshit game with none of the redeeming qualities of its predecessor. Combat is terrible like molag said, its client sided garbage just like the first game except that it is much harder to counter unnatural advantages now. The balance differs from the first game where some classes were a little TOO assymetrical but they were all charming to play, to now all the classes feel like clunky garbage.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
THE GAME GOT WORSE WITH ALL OF THE ADDED CONTENT: TRINKETS, NEW MAGIC, PETSTUFF.
I agree with this 100%.
Magic slows down performance in large fights needs to be optimized at least.
I got back to the game after TC but not planning to pay sub for this product.

Malmsteen

Jul 29, 2022
Lol wow. Lots of butt hurt ppl here. If you dont have time to play or skill then just admit that and step away. The game is lit and the pop is healthy. This forum sounds like the unifficial reddit with a bunch of negative whiners all echoing each other. Yall dont play but sonehow your here crying about it?

Malmsteen

Jul 29, 2022
Guys i found a game thats a little more yalls speed. Its called New World. You can toggle pvp off and let ur butt holes heal.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
Lol wow. Lots of butt hurt ppl here. If you dont have time to play or skill then just admit that and step away. The game is lit and the pop is healthy. This forum sounds like the unifficial reddit with a bunch of negative whiners all echoing each other. Yall dont play but sonehow your here crying about it?
The only one crying here is you.

If you really believe any of these posts were because people got ganked in the wild i'd suggest getting the Exodus deluxe package as soon as it's available.

Reactions: Doom and Gloom

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
people are just burnt out by disappointment. Still no archer play style (no arrow crafting, no blunt arrows, etc.), bugs still around since beta that SV can’t bother to fix, no thieving, no breeding, no basic qol features, list goes on.

Then they drop long-awaited TC and it sucked (let’s be real, it’s mediocre at best, nothing fun about the system, but it still somehow took 2 years to roll out). Hopium is gone. There is no confidence left that SV can deliver on their promises.

The players that are clutching their pixels and strife need to band together and tell SV it's OK for them to wipe and re-release. At that point, Henrik can do it. He's only holding onto it because of the players who say, "If I had to do it all over again, I'd quit!" And some of them might, but they will be back when the game is good. For the 75% of people who would rather play a GOOD GAME than one with launch day flaws that just continued to mount (flaws upon flaws,) it's no issue. I mean, 2 years can be 'Season 1' of MO. It's ova.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
The players that are clutching their pixels and strife need to band together and tell SV it's OK for them to wipe and re-release. At that point, Henrik can do it. He's only holding onto it because of the players who say, "If I had to do it all over again, I'd quit!" And some of them might, but they will be back when the game is good. For the 75% of people who would rather play a GOOD GAME than one with launch day flaws that just continued to mount (flaws upon flaws,) it's no issue. I mean, 2 years can be 'Season 1' of MO. It's ova.
MO would honestly do well as a seasonal game imo with some changes to things. Seasonal games are kinda the new thing.

SV isn't gonna do it. We still need someone to remake this game in a similar way.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Having 10 years of mistakes in your failed game rereleased with slightly better graphics is not a good way to keep players old or new. Especially not when you are redoing all said mistakes again in your "new" slightly better looking clone, in the exact same way you did 10 years prior.

Imo its funny there is even 1 playing player still in this game but hopefully thats only due to having invested in it and its still free.

manure

May 7, 2022
I seriously thought the population would be up with TC being released but the numbers look the same (1,6k max daily concurrent) like after pre-patch after the bump of 2002 players on patch day.

What gives?
Dude, they can do whatever TC rules they want.. Fact is : The game was BETTER in february 2022 than it is today ! Ask anyone.
The rules were far more interesting...

The moment they added one trillion NPC guards that insta kill you even outside towns was the very moment they killed like 80% of the game.
The extreme players protection alwyas lead to game failure. Its always the same story.

The reason this game hasnt died yet is because it was an incredibly good game in the beginning... And is still the only game in the market that offers some kind of excitement (no safe areas or ridiculous combat zone craps)...

You want thousands of players again in MO2 ?
Simple !
Just remove 99% of the guards in towns, remove 100% of the guards that roam OUTSIDE towns (Especially in Meduli and Toxai), and also add Thieving.

Easy.

Now speaking for myself, I have no plans of leaving this great game...Even if they add an infamous monthly subscription.

But the very moment they add ANY safe area or zone combat area, I am out at that very second !
Please no Trammel ! Not again !

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
Guards are def a problem too, but only because they are functionally immortal and one-shot you. I’d be fine with guarded towns if it was possible for players to actually kill or escape guards. Only way to escape guards atm is to blind spot them, which the GMs have recently started banning players for.

If you’re not allowed to pvp in-town, just turn off pvp there. No idea what the logic is behind teleporting immortal one-shot guards.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Having 10 years of mistakes in your failed game rereleased with slightly better graphics is not a good way to keep players old or new. Especially not when you are redoing all said mistakes again in your "new" slightly better looking clone, in the exact same way you did 10 years prior.

Imo its funny there is even 1 playing player still in this game but hopefully thats only due to having invested in it and its still free.
One thing Henrik is very good at, is convincing players the future of the game is going to improve. He's always been good at that. He teases flashy stuff and shows off new magic or pet armor and people get all giddy. He does that consistently just enough to keep people invested.

Reactions: Gnidex

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
Large issue is also that SV doesn't even know what is allowed or possible in their game. They come up with new rules as the figure out stuff that's been going on for some time already at last, and use unpaid GMs to police the game somehow, rather than being capable of actually building rules into the game which are sufficient. Like this thing that you have to contact GMs to move your house or sell your keep etc., things just aren't designed to the completion, so many things, oh man how many things.

When I play Albion etc. I don't need to have a dialogue with the developers or GMs on their Discord to be able to do stuff in the game, things just work without outside interference, which in MO2 is a constant. I don't need to contact anyone to get me unstuck every time the awful topology gets me stuck, or the 27th bug of the day makes me lose all my stuff etc.

Even if the game had a solid design foundation, with the ease of getting stuck randomly or losing your stuff randomly people would already be pretty furious with the game.

And sure, immortal unrealistic guards are not good design, it shows the lack of design, however, neither is ppl being on roofs and arrow shooting everything that moves in every single town. Game needs safe areas, no matter how some would not like them. It has more than enough unsafe areas already.

Rather just enforce it with you can't draw your weapon at all than using immortal guards, so much easier.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Guys i found a game thats a little more yalls speed. Its called New World. You can toggle pvp off and let ur butt holes heal.
Dude you're playing a star vault game.

There's only 1000 people on the planet dumb enough to do that.

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
I really think you're just running on outdated information. The old idea that MO1 is really a great game that suffers from QOL issues and a small indie team that struggles with advertisement.

Oh that absolutely goes without saying!

I've said several times over, I am not, never have been, and likely never will be involved with MO2 beyond lurking this forum.

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
Mortal Online suffers from two major setbacks.

1: A lack of a proper marketing campaign. They don't have anyone hyping the game on streams, on YouTube, on Rumble, Twitter/X, anywhere. The only people who know about TC are the people who follow this game, actively play it, or the lurkers like me who simply stir the pot on the forums.

Most gamers these days follow streamers, trends, and hype. You have to lean into that, spam social media and build a following.

2: While I cannot speak from firsthand experience as I've never played this game (outside of a couple hours on open stress test Beta), the new player experience was always lacking in the first game, and SV was so detached from the reality of their playerbase that they railroaded the new guys from the Steam Release into THE most hostile city occupied by THE most malicious, sadistic, and hostile guild of players that could be imagined- AND WE ACTIVELY WARNED THEM NOT TO DO SO!

Bonus Point 3: The playerbase itself as well as the mechanics of the game just tend to scare people away. It's a niche game with an even more niche community. It is a unique experience but incredibly stressful to people who place value in progression and see progression as wiped out every time they get gangbanged by a roaming group of red murderers who think "PeeVeePee" is having 10 guys jump on one or two dudes just running around adventuring. (That's not PeeVeePee, it's just being a bully and a dick)

Conclusion is, the deck is stacked against the game and SV and it'll take some culture shifts in the playerbase and at SV to turn more people on to this game, but the reality is that the playerbase will likely always be smaller due to the nature of the game.

Realistically,

The New player Experience is definitely the main setback here. The Haven tutorial island is such a poorly designed experience for players. Most quit in haven because 100% of the tutorial is just walking endlessly and reading long winded text boxes to learn basic mechanics in the game. the haven experience is such a turn off. My IRL best friend is a streamer and I recently convinced him to hop onto MO2 intead of his regular Diablo 4 stream. I MADE a new character just to walk him through Haven since the experience is so poorly designed. Needless to say, I gave a better tutorial in a few hours than starvault could manage on their own.

For starters, they should probably add horses to haven. Then instead of throwing them into the middle of Fabernum, put the players into a "lane-like" tutorial that teaches them the basics of combat, crafting, archery, gathering, and taming back to back.... THEN throw them into Haven with a more guided experience. What also would help here is having LESS haven shards and more haven POIs so that players are more likely to meet people in Haven and join a guild. Tons of things they can do here. But starvault doesnt seem to have a plan.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
Why isnt this here yet honestly. Respect our players playtime for the love of god starvault
Que the "But then guilds could move around the map" whining like it's the only option to solve an unneeded issue SV themselves created for some reason.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
MO would honestly do well as a seasonal game imo with some changes to things. Seasonal games are kinda the new thing.

SV isn't gonna do it. We still need someone to remake this game in a similar way.

No, but I mean the thing that is not understood @Henrik Nyström is the GAME IS ALREADY THERE. THE GAME EXISTS. The other games that might be like this are at least 1 year or more out, and that's assuming they turn out to be decent. All of the mechanics are in the game to be good and can be calibrated.

There is BAD CONTENT in the game. There are BAD SYSTEMS in the game. I could and have written essays on this crap. There are some things I take issue with, personally, but it's whatever. I'm sure some people like it, but it seems to me that these are the bullet points.

MO2 is 100x better and has more potential than MO1 (in theory.) MO2 is enough to appeal to a still niche but larger than-you-think audience.

They basically played themselves with the roadmap. The roadmap is trampled. The beta content, as said, was a solid foundation. They would do better to roll back to that and instead of adding trinkets, tower shields, and magic, work on adding in TC stuff SLOWLY, like piece by piece.

The biggest problem with MO other than the launch/exploits is the fact that they can't keep the server up. I don't know the answer to that problem, but there has to be one.

They again played themselves by adding grind level content when the grind in a game like MO is building, crafting, keeping your empire running, etc. They believed that making dungeons (dood I played the shit out of MO1 and MO2 and I never actually did a dungeon except to get iron silk, basically 1 or 2 player content) high level content and having them give high level drops would engage the player base, but the actual engagement in a sandbox is the interaction between entities, and most of that is small scale (imo) or starts small scale. They tried to make MO like a 'normal MMO.'

This is beyond a niche content game. There need to be more things to do. Combat is gated cuz it's dumb. You could parry whore in MO1, too, but it didn't get you anywhere. It needs to be accessible to most people. This game has a place for just about everyone as long as they don't have some level of disability (missing fingers, v slowed reaction, BLINDNESS, etc) but there isn't CONTENT for everyone.

MO is already what new games coming out are promising to be, but they've made bad decisions and had a really fail launch, and they are too arrogant or, worse, they believe the same thing will happen again and have a plan, after all this time.

One more time: WHEN MO1 WAS OUT, PEOPLE SAID, "NOTHING IS LIKE THIS GAME!" but there were other options for MMOs that were not washed, at least. NOW, MO2 is basically going vs New World, which I haven't played, but I can bet anything is TRASH. The fact that they can't get it right is amazing. Even if they opened up a different server that was clean. They don't realize why people aren't coming back. Haha. It's like we giv them de magic, we giv them de pets, we giv them de TC... wat happen??

EVERY OTHER MMO OTHER THAN NEW WORLD, which is critically regarded as a failure (from what I've seen?), IS LIKE TEN YEARS OLD AND ON LIFE SUPPORT. Maybe Eve is diff, but that's a whole nother thing. Ble, whatever. GG have fun SV. Ya didn't blow it, you ARE blowing it. All... day.... long.

Malmsteen

Jul 29, 2022
Wow yall are wigglin and squirming like a box of worms because your bad/sad. SV has made tremendous progress since launch and now TC is out and is running quite smooth! This game will not be topped for what it is. Play the game or go touch grass. Stop crying for fast travel lolllll.