SV Doing Away With Thievery?

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
During the latest stream a few days ago, if I heard correctly, Henrik wants to replace clades related to features not yet in-game, like thievery, with something that is "fun" for the time being?

If so, I have a bad feeling about this. It seems to me that once they replace these "currently unused" clades with something else, they can start to safely do away with thievery altogether. Once they go down this road, the logical conclusion could be to also remove trinket stats related to thievery.

They can then make an announcement in the future explaining why they've changed their mind and won't be working on thievery anymore. Meanwhile, they can keep the thievery fans following the carrot on a stick by saying "It will come... Soon (TM)." Just like with wagons, ships and dragons.

Sorry if I sound upset, but what I heard from Henrik just was not reassuring. If I've misinterpreted what he said, or there's actual concrete plans from SV that thievery is still in the works, do let me know.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
During the latest stream a few days ago, if I heard correctly, Henrik wants to replace clades related to features not yet in-game, like thievery, with something that is "fun" for the time being?

If so, I have a bad feeling about this. It seems to me that once they replace these "currently unused" clades with something else, they can start to safely do away with thievery altogether. Once they go down this road, the logical conclusion could be to also remove trinket stats related to thievery.

They can then make an announcement in the future explaining why they've changed their mind and won't be working on thievery anymore. Meanwhile, they can keep the thievery fans following the carrot on a stick by saying "It will come... Soon (TM)." Just like with wagons, ships and dragons.

Sorry if I sound upset, but what I heard from Henrik just was not reassuring. If I've misinterpreted what he said, or there's actual concrete plans from SV that thievery is still in the works, do let me know.
First they came for the turn cap and I said nothing. And then they came for me.

Backpackface

Jul 18, 2021
He said thievery is coming out down the road with traps, assassination skills, and poisons. Seems like they definitely want to get around to it but maybe more work than the other play styles.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
He said thievery is coming out down the road with traps, assassination skills, and poisons. Seems like they definitely want to get around to it but maybe more work than the other play styles.
That's the problem though, they've been saying that it's coming since I think beta? We're two years in and it's still yet to materialise, and now they're planning on removing the thievery clades. It is looking less and less likely.

Reactions: Amadman

Marchioro

Mar 25, 2024
That's the problem though, they've been saying that it's coming since I think beta? We're two years in and it's still yet to materialise, and now they're planning on removing the thievery clades. It is looking less and less likely.
Maybe they are just busy doing other important things before. They might delay this until the ships and dragons come to the game. Priorities first!

You should just keep the faith...

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Thievery is too hardcore for the current MO2 soyboys, they would quit in droves the moment someone snoops on them. Or so Henrique thinks

Reactions: Teknique

Bladeer01

Aug 1, 2021
I have already drifted pretty far from the game while waiting for such core parts of the original game to return.

If thievery/lockpicking is not in the next road map then I will most likely not be looking back.
ye , as a solo , thievery and lockpicking are niche skill that can earn you a living and lot of fun ... i don't understand how it wasnt in game among the first update since the model was already existent in mo1 ...

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I never played a thief in MO1, but it was a very unique playstyle that set this game apart. I think it should definitely be implemented but it should also be very punishing and you should be limited to what you can steal. I liked their last iteration i experienced, where you could only steal a small amount of weight, and you went local grey to the person you stole from.
Also they need to avoid people being able to steal rings and trinkets. those are worth too much money for a thief to just swipe. Id rather not have towns become jam packed with thiefs all trying to strike it rich by swiping rings.

Last edited:

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I have already drifted pretty far from the game while waiting for such core parts of the original game to return.

If thievery/lockpicking is not in the next road map then I will most likely not be looking back.
Pre-Space Thursars of Nave is not a good home for Mortal online players. Perhaps the sequel; space thursars will be better.

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
If they do not add it, i'm done with this game.

The game is literally a bunch of low IQ apes running around in big groups with their min/max builds, designed to be as easy as possible for themselves.

Thievery/assassination would add a system that is mostly solo specific. It is a way for the solo to take on the group without having to directly engage with them, but nope. They just want apes together strong forever it seems like.

Thievery adds an indirect way to defeat your opponent who may have a numbers advantage. The game NEEDS this. Many people are solo players. There are entire genres of games built around stealth, and they're literally going to ignore that market? Very unwise.

Most importantly of all, it feels implausible that you can't sneak on this game. It is immersion breaking that i can't sneak up on an NPC.

I'm so tired of this numbers game; it is just utterly brainless, and heaven forbid we actually get a playstyle that allows us to compete against it. This is why everyone should just become ele-bombers or archers that shoot people in towns. These "soyboys" as someone noted earlier, want their little safespace where they know they can afk, or pick cabbages all day in safety.

They are a contamination infecting the game, bringing it to a genre where it simply cannot compete without it's niche; and they should be bullied out of the game by denying them safespaces. You allow them to pull the game the PVE route, you're going to end up competing with huge MMOs who are already neck deep in soy (the moderation is already soyed, that much is clear; someone telling me i can't target someone's "sexual identity" for calling them a "virgin" LOL; not even a sexual identity btw).

What this game has better than any other MMO, in my opinion, it has a very STRONG immersion with roleplay element. Like, the way they've done the spellbooks, elementalism, ritualism, necromancy etc.. It is like you play a role in the world; your role isn't just the type of damage you do, or the way you do it. In MO2 it is a lifestyle you live. To not put thievery in the game is to step away from this angle, and go in the direction of the big MMOs, which will be betraying the core niche and audience of their game. MO2 cannot compete with the mainstream PVE, it clearly wasn't the original vision, and the moment it goes too far in that direction, they'll lose their audience.

Last edited:
Reactions: CherryKush

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I never played a thief in MO1, but it was a very unique playstyle that set this game apart. I think it should definitely be implemented but it should also be very punishing and you should be limited to what you can steal. I liked their last iteration i experienced, where you could only steal a small amount of weight, and you went local grey to the person you stole from.
Also they need to avoid people being able to steal rings and trinkets. those are worth too much money for a thief to just swipe. Id rather not have towns become jam packed with thiefs all trying to strike it rich by swiping rings.
Another way they could do it as well is to extend the animation time it takes to go through the whole process of snooping and pilfering by three or four times so that it doesn't become rampant Thievery Online. I still remember 10 years ago back in MO1 a thief was following me around and pickpocketing me repeatedly while I was moving normally, as back then the time it took for the whole thing to happen was around two seconds.

They could make it so that the target needs to be standing still for the duration of the snooping and pilfering, and the thief needs to be right up close to and behind the target. If the target moves at all then the whole attempt is a failure and may even cause the thief to go global grey.

manure

May 7, 2022
Good.... many people asking for thievery.
Lets see if now these incompetent designers finallly wake up and add this feature...

Tired of waiting.. grrr
Its so OBVIOUS that this game needs thieving... i dont understand why its taking so long

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
Good.... many people asking for thievery.
Lets see if now these incompetent designers finallly wake up and add this feature...

Tired of waiting.. grrr
Its so OBVIOUS that this game needs thieving... i dont understand why its taking so long
I'm going to guess their plan was to milk the care bears first. Once they are all gone and have moved on then they'll bring it back in an attempt to dangle a carrot in front of their original audience... I guess we'll see if it works...

manure

May 7, 2022
I'm going to guess their plan was to milk the care bears first. Once they are all gone and have moved on then they'll bring it back in an attempt to dangle a carrot in front of their original audience... I guess we'll see if it works...
I really dont know what is going on.... There is absolutely no reason at all to not have it in the game.
Im tired of all this baby sitting to new players... Why dont they honor they veterans as well ?

We already have witnessed the complete Trammelization of this game by having 674367347848298 Tindremic Guards in towns, and now even in the WILDERNESS... They killed PvP from Vadda to MohKi because of those Guard towers all over the road...
Now they re implementing a ridiculous fledging system to cater to newbies, to protect them even more, as if Haven wasnt enough (argh)...

For christ sake, give us veteran something we enjoy.... Give us Thieving, Assassination AND boats !