Suggestion - Add independent arm weapon sheathing/unsheathing animations.

Would you like to have independent arm animations?

• Yes

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • No (Please say why in the comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Currently, if you are in combat mode with a weapon out, equipping a shield will cause you to sheath your weapon, then unsheathe it again with the shield.

The same goes for if you have a shield equipped and equip a weapon, you will put the shield away, then take it out again with the newly equipped weapon.

I propose that some work be done to enable independent arm weapon sheathing and unsheathing animations.

This will enable you to do things such as changing one hand's equipped weapon/item such as a shield or torch, without having to first illogically sheathe the other one as well.

If we do get the ability to hold torches in our hands when out of combat mode, this addition will also enable us to draw a weapon without first putting away the torch.

What do you think of this idea?

Reactions: bubbles

PatWins

May 28, 2020
I strongly believe that SV should NEVER stop continuing to polish the games core systems. The more crisp and clean they can make the experience the better the first impression that new players have.

First impressions are huge and will be the difference between many people staying or leaving the game.

Combat should never stopped being polished. I'm hoping they will always be hunting for new ways to make it smoother and make the animations more impactful/realistic.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Yeah, this is one of those things that seem clunky. Obviously all the veterans got used to it and I´m sure SV as well. That´s not a good thing. Someone new to the game will pick up on this immediatly.

I 100% believe this would improve the look and feel of the game. Torches as a special offhand and out of combat item are even more important. But I made a thread about that already. :D

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Well that is a part of the game for its own reasons. My question for you guys, do you want to see players switching weapons and attacking?

By adding independent weapon draws, we will see lower ping users switch weapons and attack then do it again. The animations are already slow to respond, i couldn't see adding more animations being beneficial. As its already a reason why people are having a hard time getting use to the fighting. Plus you're in combat then you are out of combat switching weapons then back into combat once weapon is out. Nothing seems clunky about that, more realistic then I've seen in other games. Auto switching weapons isn't any better, beings animations are still to slow to react to at times.

All I forsee is people swapping weapons over and over breaking the animations for their benefit. If you haven't gotten use to putting a weapon away, go buy some cardboard, cut out shield and sword. Get a belt on and try not dropping your sword and grabbing a 2nd weapon at the same time. Not very possible unless you are dropping the sword for a different weapon.. you need to grab your sheaths edge when replacing your weapon to your side.

There is a moment when you are grabbing a weapon, you are not in combat anymore. This makes sense to me, anytime you switch weapons irl, you are not in combat. On the battle fields im sure people would drop their weapons and grab a different one. Sense we can carry 10+ weapons. I think we are okay having a transition time whenever someone swaps any equipment.

-Phen

-Phen

Anachroniser

Aug 9, 2020
While you're at it sv, can you also make it so that when your equipped shield breaks you don't get that weird stun going on?

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Well that is a part of the game for its own reasons. My question for you guys, do you want to see players switching weapons and attacking?

By adding independent weapon draws, we will see lower ping users switch weapons and attack then do it again. The animations are already slow to respond, i couldn't see adding more animations being beneficial. As its already a reason why people are having a hard time getting use to the fighting. Plus you're in combat then you are out of combat switching weapons then back into combat once weapon is out. Nothing seems clunky about that, more realistic then I've seen in other games. Auto switching weapons isn't any better, beings animations are still to slow to react to at times.

All I forsee is people swapping weapons over and over breaking the animations for their benefit. If you haven't gotten use to putting a weapon away, go buy some cardboard, cut out shield and sword. Get a belt on and try not dropping your sword and grabbing a 2nd weapon at the same time. Not very possible unless you are dropping the sword for a different weapon.. you need to grab your sheaths edge when replacing your weapon to your side.

There is a moment when you are grabbing a weapon, you are not in combat anymore. This makes sense to me, anytime you switch weapons irl, you are not in combat. On the battle fields im sure people would drop their weapons and grab a different one. Sense we can carry 10+ weapons. I think we are okay having a transition time whenever someone swaps any equipment.

-Phen

-Phen
The way the game currently handles switching one handed equipment is completely illogical, and looks silly from a new players perspective.

My proposed addition only improves the smoothness of managing your equipment under certain circumstances.

There is no need to be worried about any sort of potential abuse from someone switching their weapon constantly, as the weapon changing animation would still be as slow as it already is when drawing the weapon, and there is no benefit to them to change weapons constantly anyway.

The only issue with including this addition is the potential time it would take to get it working properly, and if Starvault regards it as a meaningful addition to the game, which I believe it is.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
The way the game currently handles switching one handed equipment is completely illogical, and looks silly from a new players perspective.

My proposed addition only improves the smoothness of managing your equipment under certain circumstances.

There is no need to be worried about any sort of potential abuse from someone switching their weapon constantly, as the weapon changing animation would still be as slow as it already is when drawing the weapon, and there is no benefit to them to change weapons constantly anyway.

The only issue with including this addition is the potential time it would take to get it working properly, and if Starvault regards it as a meaningful addition to the game, which I believe it is.

Isn't what your asking for leaving the shield out? Meaning possible chance for equipment hit when it would be normally out of the way when grasping for a weapon.

I'm speaking on the half of realism, if you have a shield in hand grabbing weapons require you to hold to shield out in from of you while drawing. Or you would have to grab with the hand holding the shield. If we are talking about having more than 2 weapons on our persons, then we have to think of how they would be on the body. Shield on back with 2h long weapons, 2h short / 1h weapons on either side of hips. So we have to think of all those different animations and make them smooth before release. Thats a whole lot of work for something that I didn't notice as a new player to MO2. Stopped gaming completely for 2 years and the game feels fine. As a game, i understand why its there too. You cant make every movement from real life and put it into the game.

To make it fair for everyone, anytime you switch anything, you have a slight delay time because of switching.

As for the animations, sense right now we can charge swing while drawing, it would be really hard to tell if someone pulled a 1h poker and stabbed right away with the delay charge effect. Don't get me wrong here, i think having smooth animations are a great push. In this case we are talking something that can give a player a form of defence while pulling a new weapon.. Those equipment hits really make you tanky.

-Phen

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Isn't what your asking for leaving the shield out? Meaning possible chance for equipment hit when it would be normally out of the way when grasping for a weapon.

I'm speaking on the half of realism, if you have a shield in hand grabbing weapons require you to hold to shield out in from of you while drawing. Or you would have to grab with the hand holding the shield. If we are talking about having more than 2 weapons on our persons, then we have to think of how they would be on the body. Shield on back with 2h long weapons, 2h short / 1h weapons on either side of hips. So we have to think of all those different animations and make them smooth before release. Thats a whole lot of work for something that I didn't notice as a new player to MO2. Stopped gaming completely for 2 years and the game feels fine. As a game, i understand why its there too. You cant make every movement from real life and put it into the game.

To make it fair for everyone, anytime you switch anything, you have a slight delay time because of switching.

As for the animations, sense right now we can charge swing while drawing, it would be really hard to tell if someone pulled a 1h poker and stabbed right away with the delay charge effect. Don't get me wrong here, i think having smooth animations are a great push. In this case we are talking something that can give a player a form of defence while pulling a new weapon.. Those equipment hits really make you tanky.

-Phen
Yes, if you are holding a shield when switching a weapon you will keep the shield out while sheathing the current weapon and unsheathing the new weapon, as it should be.

As I mentioned before, I am aware of all the different animation combinations that would have to be considered when integrating such a change, but that does not detract from the overall benefit of the addition.

Regarding the current system feeling clunky, it is important to be able to see the game through the eyes of a completely new player. Illogical things such as putting away your shield or torch in order to draw a weapon in the opposite hand are definitely contributing factors to how smooth and intuitive a game will feel to new players. This is supposed to be a "next gen" game after all.

The delay when switching weapons would be exactly the same as it is now, given that you must first sheathe your current weapon before unsheathing a new one, provided you are switching weapons in a hand that is already holding something.

The charging an attack while drawing a weapon seems to be a visual bug with the charging circle, as it still takes the full amount of time to reach the overcharge state once drawn. Regardless, that is clearly a bug that needs fixing.

I'll reiterate once more, that the only negative aspect of this addition is the development time needed to make it all work smoothly, there are no cons to this.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Yes, if you are holding a shield when switching a weapon you will keep the shield out while sheathing the current weapon and unsheathing the new weapon, as it should be.

As I mentioned before, I am aware of all the different animation combinations that would have to be considered when integrating such a change, but that does not detract from the overall benefit of the addition.

Regarding the current system feeling clunky, it is important to be able to see the game through the eyes of a completely new player. Illogical things such as putting away your shield or torch in order to draw a weapon in the opposite hand are definitely contributing factors to how smooth and intuitive a game will feel to new players. This is supposed to be a "next gen" game after all.

The delay when switching weapons would be exactly the same as it is now, given that you must first sheathe your current weapon before unsheathing a new one, provided you are switching weapons in a hand that is already holding something.

The charging an attack while drawing a weapon seems to be a visual bug with the charging circle, as it still takes the full amount of time to reach the overcharge state once drawn. Regardless, that is clearly a bug that needs fixing.

I'll reiterate once more, that the only negative aspect of this addition is the development time needed to make it all work smoothly, there are no cons to this.

I personally disagree.

As a new player comes to the game. If they read before playing, they would expect some realistic based research and crafting. While combat stands in a fantasy world.

There is much more to MO2 than visuals as many players enjoyed MO1 with super derpy animations. Its about the depth and quality of performance that should be the focused on. Everything else is beautification which could be done over time as the game gets popular. As of now, I hope for performance over beauty.

The graphics are already next level.

-Phen

Valoran

May 28, 2020
I personally disagree.

As a new player comes to the game. If they read before playing, they would expect some realistic based research and crafting. While combat stands in a fantasy world.

There is much more to MO2 than visuals as many players enjoyed MO1 with super derpy animations. Its about the depth and quality of performance that should be the focused on. Everything else is beautification which could be done over time as the game gets popular. As of now, I hope for performance over beauty.

The graphics are already next level.

-Phen
What do you disagree with exactly?

The only question worth asking here is "Is this an addition that would make the game better?".

If yes, then it maybe gets added to the list of things Starvault can draw from to improve the game at any time in the future.

Agreeing with this change is not synonymous with saying "This is the highest priority thing that needs to be worked on right now until it is finished!".

Our job is to provide feedback and suggestions to improve the game.

It is Starvault's job to choose which feedback and suggestions they find worthwhile and add them to the game at their discretion.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
What do you disagree with exactly?

The only question worth asking here is "Is this an addition that would make the game better?".

If yes, then it maybe gets added to the list of things Starvault can draw from to improve the game at any time in the future.

Agreeing with this change is not synonymous with saying "This is the highest priority thing that needs to be worked on right now until it is finished!".

Our job is to provide feedback and suggestions to improve the game.

It is Starvault's job to choose which feedback and suggestions they find worthwhile and add them to the game at their discretion.

Your correct. You said to explain why in the comments. So why answer: I would prefer better proformance than visuals as the visuals are already a lot better than before.

Personally disagreeing with making the game better. As I mentioned we will have more weapons than before so seeing 3 different animations based on where the weapon draws from would be a time consuming to build and i feel would have little effect to game play itself. If anything it makes 2 of the 3 draws look very odd as they wouldnt be very realistic.