Stop. Talking. About. Persistence.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
For me at least I would describe what I'm looking for as "PvP Sandbox MMO with interesting combat" I also really like a game to feel immersive. Genre is unimportant. Combat is important but I'm adaptable, I actually think Crowfall has the best combat of all three titles. The cleric was an absolute blast to play.

I think that's the same boat a lot of people are in. They love the idea of a PvP Sandbox MMO but the only good one is EVE, and it's combat is stale. MO2 has recently risen up as one of the stronger titles to scratch that itch. But it isn't alone.

BongRips

Jun 15, 2020
For me at least I would describe what I'm looking for as "PvP Sandbox MMO with interesting combat" I also really like a game to feel immersive. Genre is unimportant. Combat is important but I'm adaptable, I actually think Crowfall has the best combat of all three titles. The cleric was an absolute blast to play.

I think that's the same boat a lot of people are in. They love the idea of a PvP Sandbox MMO but the only good one is EVE, and it's combat is stale. MO2 has recently risen up as one of the stronger titles to scratch that itch. But it isn't alone.
I would love for chivalry or mordhau combat. It's really hard to do that I'm assuming or they would just do it.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I would love for chivalry or mordhau combat. It's really hard to do that I'm assuming or they would just do it.
We'd need regional servers and super tight ping tolerances. To start.
Which is not feasible for an MMO with such a big world and such a divided userbase.

Reactions: BongRips

Breannor

May 28, 2020
If you consider Mortal online as a MMO , so yes there is competition.
I havent play only full loot pvp in the last year but several game.
Saying, New world is a competitor is right.

• Haha
Reactions: BongRips

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Henrik on streams states that we will go back into testing until everything in for release is clean and polished.
People can have different interpretations of what clean and polished is. But to me it seems like we have a long ways to get to that state.

Yesterday in the stream Henrik talked about this a little bit, but it sounds more like weeks to months than half a year or more. Polishing everything and adding some missing features.

Gravballe

May 28, 2020
I just like how it seems they learned nothing from mo1 and are gonna make all the same mistakes again. Instead of getting the basic working (proper economy, pve and pve content, and proper criminal system).. instead they are focusing on pvp again while saying everything will be fixed when system xxx is done.. like we havent head that before :D

• Haha
Reactions: LivingshadeNL

Dronegan

Apr 6, 2021
Ive played the game for two weeks, put in 110 hours into the game. Mostly as a solo player.
I can honestly say ive run out of stuff to do.

Played 3 different characters and explored some of the crafting system.
Explored the world, done some pvp, saw most of the citys. Went to 2-3 dungeons.

I understand that skills will take alot longer to level. But like there is not anything else to do anymore.

Crafting at the moment is not really very profitable since you cant carry much resources anymore. You are better off killing Risar´s for gold anyway.
Not that gold really mathers anyway since there is no economy .

PvP ? Meh.. im not really that impressed right now. My last character is a mounted archer. Mages? Free kill. Footwarriors? Usually free kill.
If i dont get the jump on people or if someone catches me on foot , im usually the free kill.
Group pvp is currently not interesting at all.

World feels way empty, not many dangers lure there PVE wise.
Again world would feel more dangerous if you actually saw other people out in the open, but you really dont.
If you see the odd player sure you could risk your gear and try to kill him, but its not like you can carry the spoils anyway so why bother.

• Haha
Reactions: LivingshadeNL

LivingshadeNL

Mar 23, 2021
I just like how it seems they learned nothing from mo1 and are gonna make all the same mistakes again. Instead of getting the basic working (proper economy, pve and pve content, and proper criminal system).. instead they are focusing on pvp again while saying everything will be fixed when system xxx is done.. like we havent head that before :D
Hello wake up, pvp is the core and premise of this game.. have u seen the dungeons in mo1?? This is obviously a PVP game.

Gravballe

May 28, 2020
Hello wake up, pvp is the core and premise of this game.. have u seen the dungeons in mo1?? This is obviously a PVP game.
I know, but pvp needs a reason to happen. Not just like in mo that had little real reason for pvp, other than what else were there to do. It seems to me people making this game has no clue how to build up the base of the game, to allow for meaning full pvp. All henrik talks about on this show is hiw love for UO, but he fails to realise why UO worked and MO1 did not.

If its just pvp i might aswell boot up mordhauge or what ever. I want a mmo where there are wars over trade/resources and other stuff. Where the economy is wokirng, where there is proper pve, and proper content to wage war over, other than "mheh keep"....

Reactions: Zbuciorn

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Ive played the game for two weeks, put in 110 hours into the game. Mostly as a solo player.
I can honestly say ive run out of stuff to do.

Played 3 different characters and explored some of the crafting system.
Explored the world, done some pvp, saw most of the citys. Went to 2-3 dungeons.

I understand that skills will take alot longer to level. But like there is not anything else to do anymore.

Crafting at the moment is not really very profitable since you cant carry much resources anymore. You are better off killing Risar´s for gold anyway.
Not that gold really mathers anyway since there is no economy .

PvP ? Meh.. im not really that impressed right now. My last character is a mounted archer. Mages? Free kill. Footwarriors? Usually free kill.
If i dont get the jump on people or if someone catches me on foot , im usually the free kill.
Group pvp is currently not interesting at all.

World feels way empty, not many dangers lure there PVE wise.
Again world would feel more dangerous if you actually saw other people out in the open, but you really dont.
If you see the odd player sure you could risk your gear and try to kill him, but its not like you can carry the spoils anyway so why bother.
The game isn't released yet, it's still in closed beta so more content and features will be added before it opens to the public.

However, even in its incomplete state, the players who know what this game is about and know what they're doing, are already playing it as if it's been released. Guilds are already being set up, pvp battles are being fought, and transport runs are happening in major towns. Those not interested in guilds or pvp are pursuing their own goals and enjoying the game in their own way.

There's a side to this game that, once a player 'gets it' and the light bulb comes on, it becomes the dream game that one can play for years. That is how it was with me.

Last edited:

Gravballe

May 28, 2020
Game isn't released yet, it's still in closed beta so more content and features will be added before it opens to the public.

However, even in its incomplete state, the players who know what this game is about and know what they're doing, are already playing as if it's the release. Guilds are already being set up, pvp battles are being fought, and transport runs are happening in major towns.

There's a side to this game that, once a player 'gets it' and the light bulb comes on, it becomes the dream game that one can play for years. That is how it was with me.
The problem is, it was lie that in mo1 aswell. Henrik/SV is already playing that "well that will be better when system xxx is done" just like in mo1, where it was always something comming, that would magic fix all the problems. Get the basic working first, get all basic skills into the game, get all the stuff needed for economy and trading to work properly, get a proper criminal system/war system and so on, from day one. Get proper PVE content from release of the game, then release and build on it. You cant build a good game, if the basic fundation is not properly made from the start. MO1 and missing features was the problem for the game for years and years.. they are doing the same mistakes again.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
The problem is, it was lie that in mo1 aswell. Henrik/SV is already playing that "well that will be better when system xxx is done" just like in mo1, where it was always something comming, that would magic fix all the problems. Get the basic working first, get all basic skills into the game, get all the stuff needed for economy and trading to work properly, get a proper criminal system/war system and so on, from day one. Get proper PVE content from release of the game, then release and build on it. You cant build a good game, if the basic fundation is not properly made from the start. MO1 and missing features was the problem for the game for years and years.. they are doing the same mistakes again.
I'd say they have learnt from their mistakes in MO1. They took the better part of a year to make sure that the pvp system was working properly as intended in the Closed Combat Alpha. I covered almost every patch during that time and saw the improvements, and saw the game grow.

Them not releasing the game until everything works properly and the game looks and plays as best as they can possibly make it, seems to me that they are making sure the basic foundation is solid and in a good state. That's what the Closed Beta is for.

Ask

Jun 10, 2020
The reason most people are asking for persistence is because they want to actually sit down and put time into the game in the current state and want to know if its worth it. For example if we are told persistence is 3 months away then people will put in effort to get materials to last 3 months. If we don't know when it is then were not sure if its worth it to put in the effort.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
The reason most people are asking for persistence is because they want to actually sit down and put time into the game in the current state and want to know if its worth it. For example if we are told persistence is 3 months away then people will put in effort to get materials to last 3 months. If we don't know when it is then were not sure if its worth it to put in the effort.

Precisely. Nothing is more demoralizing to everyone currently playing than the constant threat of a wipe at an unspecified time. Transparency about persistence lets people realistically gauge if it's worth it to get invested in anything currently happening.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
Precisely. Nothing is more demoralizing to everyone currently playing than the constant threat of a wipe at an unspecified time. Transparency about persistence lets people realistically gauge if it's worth it to get invested in anything currently happening.
Now that is an interesting and valid point. However, I believe the long term increase in quality to the game is more important than appealing to the whims of beta testers that are wanting more content for a game still working out the basics of combat. You should not play the beta with the expectation that you can keep anything because in the end it really does not matter. When persistence hits it will matter, that should be the only time during this process that it does.

Edit: The Developers should feel little to no remorse for wiping the server if they see that something needs fixing before persistence.

Reactions: Eldrath

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Now that is an interesting and valid point. However, I believe the long term increase in quality to the game is more important than appealing to the whims of beta testers that are wanting more content for a game still working out the basics of combat. You should not play the beta with the expectation that you can keep anything because in the end it really does not matter. When persistence hits it will matter, that should be the only time during this process that it does.

Edit: The Developers should feel little to no remorse for wiping the server if they see that something needs fixing before persistence.

I agree. Devs should wipe when they need to wipe. If it helps the game, then do it, every time. But they should be as transparent as possible with us. If they say "next wipe three months from now" and then tomorrow say "there was a coding error and the only way to fix it was a wipe" I'm fine with that.

The utter silence I'm not ok with. Be transparent. All I want to know is a fair summary of what they know on when we should expect the next wipe, persistent etc.

When they pushed persistent back to January 95% of the community cheered and clapped them on the back. And most of us are also on board with them pushing it back now. The only thing I'm not on board with is that they're being very non-transparent on how far it got pushed back.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
I agree. Devs should wipe when they need to wipe. If it helps the game, then do it, every time. But they should be as transparent as possible with us. If they say "next wipe three months from now" and then tomorrow say "there was a coding error and the only way to fix it was a wipe" I'm fine with that.

The utter silence I'm not ok with. Be transparent. All I want to know is a fair summary of what they know on when we should expect the next wipe, persistent etc.

When they pushed persistent back to January 95% of the community cheered and clapped them on the back. And most of us are also on board with them pushing it back now. The only thing I'm not on board with is that they're being very non-transparent on how far it got pushed back.
Yeah, hopefully here in a week or so they will update the roadmap to give a better idea of things, but that things been about as reliable as a broken clock.