StarVault has soft banned Regional Australians / Kiwi's from the game

KmanKrugg

Dec 31, 2022
In the last two weeks they have tweaked their ping kick.

Regional players on Satellite / Star link are now no longer to play for longer than 30 seconds before getting kicked due to ping.

I do not have the funds to go buy a monthly sub to a ping lowering service just to play a single game.

It should be fairly simple for you to program in something that can see the players average ping over a long period of time and if its obvious the ping is consistantly high but under the kick ammount it should give a wider berth for spikes.

You can go a step further and program in this breather room based on the IP's country of origin, so anyone connecting from Australia or New Zealand is entitled to the buffer if their ping spikes which is common because connecting to Europe from Australia is the longest physicall distance possible, the ping is going to jump around a bit. Not so much for the city slickers but anyone in the Regions on Sattellite or Starlink is now getting hit with this kick unless they are forking out extra $$ for a ping lowering service like exit lag.

We're not looking to exploit the ping kick, but getting kicked every 30 seconds over the bloody christmas holiday period has me kicking over the barbie and the shrimp have now gone to shit.

Happy to run a network logger and do whatever the GM's / Devs need to find a fix that is the sweet spot between letting us regional players actually play and stopping people from lag switching in pvp.

Please help?

Thankyou.

p.s - just wanted to throw in there that i ended up doing a full system rebuild thismorning. nothing is on this bugger now graphics card drivers, steam and MO2 as it was not throwing up an error when it kicked me prior to doing this.... so i thought it may have been a profile bug or somethings :( RIP my time.

Reactions: Xunila and Piet

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
Same here but I'm in southern Arizona USA, constantly getting kicked for "high ping" now. I hope they get this fixed.

KmanKrugg

Dec 31, 2022
Same here but I'm in southern Arizona USA, constantly getting kicked for "high ping" now. I hope they get this fixed.
Ahh that sucks too. Just wish they kept this in mind as a fix considering its the xmas holiday period so we all have extra time to play, but are essentially soft banned from playing due to this issue so its so frustrating.

CistaCista

Mar 13, 2022
Europe here, getting kicked once per c15 minutes. Annoying and I died to a mob camp I was just passing by. This will make me stop playing the game soon.

• Haha
Reactions: Piet

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I'm only still able to play smoothly and at half the lag because of ExitLag. I get it, not everyone is going to buy a sub for the service and that's perfectly fine.

But it's not just MO2 that I have trouble with ping. EVE is also very warpy without ExitLag because its server cluster Tranquility is also located in London.

For me, 23 cents a day (if on annual plan) is worth it since I enjoy both games that much. Maybe SV could reinvest some of its profits by partnering with ExitLag and offer players exclusive discounts on the service.

In this way, more players might be more willing to buy the game and sign up for ExitLag, which would be a win-win for everyone.

Happy new year. 🙂

Reactions: Piet

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Or they could, like, offer regional servers ….

But nope. Force everyone to play on european server and them kick anyone that has high/unstable ping.
Thats the winning business model i guess.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Ah yes, lets have three servers with around 300 people on each. That'll be a living breathing world....
I mean this could be the case. There are also a ton of people who don't play the game because of the single server. Its hard to predict.

Reactions: Jackdstripper

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Ah yes, lets have three servers with around 300 people on each. That'll be a living breathing world....
Why stop at 3? Someone might still have over 40 ping, which is as we all know, is unplayable. With how popular this game is, it should have at least 1 server per country. USA can have 1 server per state.

I mean this could be the case. There are also a ton of people who don't play the game because of the single server. Its hard to predict.
I'll be honest tho, most of the people who 'quit because of ping' would come back for good ping, then quit again. Because mo2 offers infinite reasons for someone to quit the game lmao. So if they cant put up with the ping they wont put up with the rest of the games issues. Ping is generally a 'competative gaming' issue. And mo has infinite things that make it uncompetitive.

Minus extreme cases of awful ping. But even then in Mo1, I've died to infinite aussies who ran in place before hitting me in the head with a fist blunt weapon for 90 lmao. So it may be possible for them to make MO2 still playable for bad ping players.

Last edited:

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Why stop at 3? Someone might still have over 40 ping, which is as we all know, is unplayable. With how popular this game is, it should have at least 1 server per country. USA can have 1 server per state.

I'll be honest tho, most of the people who 'quit because of ping' would come back for good ping, then quit again. Because mo2 offers infinite reasons for someone to quit the game lmao. So if they cant put up with the ping they wont put up with the rest of the games issues. Ping is generally a 'competative gaming' issue. And mo has infinite things that make it uncompetitive.

Minus extreme cases of awful ping. But even then in Mo1, I've died to infinite aussies who ran in place before hitting me in the head with a fist blunt weapon for 90 lmao. So it may be possible for them to make MO2 still playable for bad ping players.
Yeah, but I've seen tons of people not even be interested in the game because it doesn't have an NA server. And I dont blame them.

In a full loot game, having such major ping differences is a major issue imo. They tried to "fix" it, but it just made combat way slower and boring. The melee combat in MO2 is painful.

But regardless, yeah, lots of people hear the server isn't even in NA and nobody gives a shit to even try.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
East coast NA or Greenland will be the best choice for the server if they are stubborn at keeping it hosted in just one location.

With how long they probably locked in the server contract it probably wont happen any time this decade lol.

Common mistake for small game devs it seems to sign onto long contracts, Life is feudal did the mistake of buying their website with a contract of maintenance of almost 30 years, the game has been dead since 2018. Funny side note, they also prepaid on a customer support contract of 20 years.

So if you want to see something funny, go on the life is feudal website. That shit and its customer support is going to be running until at least 2036. With the game dead and the rights of the game sold to China. By mistake of the CEO btw. Since apparently he was in imbecile who (legit) can't read and did not have a legal team to read a contract before signing. I mean he is rich now, but the game and its IP is forever owned by the Chinese government now.

Reactions: Jatix

poorconsumer

Feb 8, 2022
am i wrong when i believe excess ping ruins the experience for other players? it seems like the person with high ping isn't punished properly for his ping, i don't think ping should be kicked, but i think your character should act appropriately. spiking 750ms? your character should be stationary in game and your experience should be degraded on your client, not mine. server should correct your client so you just end up being teleported backwords as the server fixes your position, then maybe you'd improve your ping because you'd just be getting nailed onto the wall by everything you encountered, right? problem is i just encounter people teleporting all over the place cuz THEIR ping is high, not mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: cerqo and Piet

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
If only the server was hosted out of the western US.. or perhaps mid west US.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
If only the server was hosted out of the western US.. or perhaps mid west US.
That'd be a horrible idea if the game would want to work anywhere outside of west coast USA. The ISP routing situation west to east coast USA is atrocious and always has been. East coast USA or Greenland would be the only options that would work universally at an acceptable level. Few locations will see higher pings than now (East EU and east of that, somewhere in the 130-150 ping amounts and places like turkey hit the "hardest" still sub 200-250 ping) while literally everywhere else in the world will see an improvement. Aussies will get 50-100ms better ping. South Africans will get almost 150 ping better, thanks to the fact that Greenland pipelines internet cabling straight to central and southern Africa. Asia in general will see a 50-100 ping improvement over currently.

As a Nordic player i'd be hit with a +50 ping or so, which still puts me at like what? 80 ping?

The main reason they aren't doing it is because A) Cost B) Current contract which more or less just goes back to A, which is cost in breaking contract and then getting a new one.

Not to mention Greenland based servers are the most sought after servers, you can be on a waiting list for 5-10 years to even get servers there and the rates are some of the highest in the world. But god if it isnt worth it.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
That'd be a horrible idea if the game would want to work anywhere outside of west coast USA. The ISP routing situation west to east coast USA is atrocious and always has been. East coast USA or Greenland would be the only options that would work universally at an acceptable level. Few locations will see higher pings than now (East EU and east of that, somewhere in the 130-150 ping amounts and places like turkey hit the "hardest" still sub 200-250 ping) while literally everywhere else in the world will see an improvement. Aussies will get 50-100ms better ping. South Africans will get almost 150 ping better, thanks to the fact that Greenland pipelines internet cabling straight to central and southern Africa. Asia in general will see a 50-100 ping improvement over currently.

As a Nordic player i'd be hit with a +50 ping or so, which still puts me at like what? 80 ping?

The main reason they aren't doing it is because A) Cost B) Current contract which more or less just goes back to A, which is cost in breaking contract and then getting a new one.

Not to mention Greenland based servers are the most sought after servers, you can be on a waiting list for 5-10 years to even get servers there and the rates are some of the highest in the world. But god if it isnt worth it.
Hell a East Coast server would be fine too. But the Dallas/Ft. Worth hub is also pretty popular along with the Denver Colorado hub. Which is why I suggested them first.

KmanKrugg

Dec 31, 2022
Update - Got Exitlag on trial.

I am still getting kicked within 5 minutes with exit lag. The ping is hovering at 280-300 so its not exceeding 350. I am in a quiet area north east in the map not a main populated town like Meduli and i am STILL GETTING KICKED.

What the hell Developers can we please do something about this bullshit?

*Noting the exit lag trial will keep my connection for 30 minutes. I am lasting barely 5 and im still getting kicked. And im in the middle of a forest with no-one around not in a main area or town. There is no reason this should be happening other than neglectful and poor coding / decision making and implimentation of your anti lagswitch fix. You can fix the lag switching AND allow players with shittier connections play if you spent more than 2 seconds thinking about the solution and rushing in a band aid fix just so you can check a box to say "its done"

Reactions: Hodo and Piet

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Ever stop to think that there were 10k players at launch and if they had regional servers and didn't stop people from logging in for a month straight there would be enough to go around?

Reactions: Hodo

KmanKrugg

Dec 31, 2022
Ever stop to think that there were 10k players at launch and if they had regional servers and didn't stop people from logging in for a month straight there would be enough to go around?
To be fair, they still would have quit with the game in that state.

I know people that quit due to having placed a house, filling it with benches then farming loot, they were living out of the house and then just one day poof. gone. Ask a GM? Sorry cant help you luls!!

The sheer lack of content and node line issues, floating monsters not being able to loot bags if they decided to spawn underground because the monster died on a slight hill.... all of that stuff and more would have made them quit just as quick even if they could have logged in to play.

They jumped the gun way too early in launching it on steam. They were not ready. And if we were to get 10k players back again for some reason the servers would absolutely still shit themselves even now.

Reactions: Hodo

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
To be fair, they still would have quit with the game in that state.

I know people that quit due to having placed a house, filling it with benches then farming loot, they were living out of the house and then just one day poof. gone. Ask a GM? Sorry cant help you luls!!

The sheer lack of content and node line issues, floating monsters not being able to loot bags if they decided to spawn underground because the monster died on a slight hill.... all of that stuff and more would have made them quit just as quick even if they could have logged in to play.

They jumped the gun way too early in launching it on steam. They were not ready. And if we were to get 10k players back again for some reason the servers would absolutely still shit themselves even now.

This and the previous poster are correct. It wasnt just one thing that drove off all of those players. It basically was a death of a thousand cuts.

To be fair if they had to launch they should have launched without housing, without strongholds, or keeps. They had no way of tracking the history of them, or a way for the playerbase to tear them down. Which lead to many well noted exploits.

Then there was the ping issue... where despite what Henrik said, was and still is QUITE noticeable for players not based in the EU or north eastern US. You could visually see the issues on some of the MO2 high profile streamers VODs.

Then you had the horrific responses by GMs to tickets made by many players, and the ever changing TOS to combat the backlash by angry players in response to this.

Then there was the community itself. The never ending slew of toxic behavior out of the players abusing the multi instance system and the ONE VOIP channel being used.