Star Vault Could Learn a Lot From EVE Online

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Source: https://www.eveonline.com/article/qp2zb5/expert-systems-coming-soon

The game may be 18 years old, but the team at CCP Games continues to find new ways to improve and innovate.

I've been reading on the forums lately about how the one character per account in MO2 will make it impractical to experiment with different skill builds without losing a large chunk of progression.

EVE has come up with what may be a clever solution for those who want to try new ships and skill lines without committing to the time and wealth needed, nor lose progression in the process.

I believe Star Vault can implement something similar for MO2.

Reactions: Vakirauta

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
How would that even fit into the world of Mortal? Magically having skill mastery temporarily?
Progression is already way too short-term in Mortal in many regards to begin with.

I'd agree with this if Mortals progression would be slowed down and more long-term but people could get a temporary buff if they really wanted to get right into the action. And there should still be restrictions to make the actual progression meaningful. And real-life currency for in-game means is a problem.
The problem is also how would you monetize that, because as we know in the past it was way too easy in some ways to get money and resources in a way that rendered them meaningless.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
It's a way for people to try out a new build without having to flag down their current build which is what they would be forced to do given the one character per account system.

It doesn't have to be monetised, nor am I asking SV to copy the exact formula. I am however inviting SV to look at what another game is doing and come up with their own solution that fits with MO2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blitz and Vakirauta

lord_yoshi

Oct 3, 2020
The real annoyance is skilling up the secondaries, the primaries are pretty easy. EVEs model also looks extremely P2W.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
The real annoyance is skilling up the secondaries, the primaries are pretty easy. EVEs model also looks extremely P2W.
As far as I know, you can buy in-game currency which in turn allows you to buy skill injectors to speed up passive training time, but that's about it.

The free to play and monthly subscription model in EVE is probably the closest thing one could call P2W, in that paid subscribers can use more advanced ships, skills and modules.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
It's a way for people to try out a new build without having to flag down their current build which is what they would be forced to do given the one character per account system.

It doesn't have to be monetised, nor am I asking SV to copy the exact formula. I am however inviting SV to look at what another game is doing and coming up with their own solution that fits with MO2.

Ultima Online had a small test server you could join. You could set all Skills you want to 100 to test a Build. You had all Mage spells and reagents avalible.

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
A small test server to find bugs before patch release and test builds, aswell as for testing translations before release as someone mentioned on Discord not so long time ago.

What could be bad with it?

lord_yoshi

Oct 3, 2020
Ultima Online had a small test server you could join. You could set all Skills you want to 100 to test a Build. You had all Mage spells and reagents avalible.
The player test server received complaints that the testers were getting an advantage over people that weren't testing.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
A testserver of Heaven is enough to test all Skills, Spells and Builds. it is good if new features getting tested.
Loot and new raw materials don't necessarily have to drop on the test server. It's all a matter of attitude. This means that new recipes could not be tested in advance.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
It's a two edged blade anyway. Being able to see what you can do and then having it taken away will make people want to grind and be done with it even more, further discouraging "natural" progression as part of gameplay as a thing. Some might get frustrated by it, some might get motivated by it but it'll certainly affect how people feel about it.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I found the system pretty flexible. Going back to skills you have learned once requires only minimal investment. Most of the expensive ones are secondaries anyway.

I think these threads come from a lack of experimentation and actually trying.

a.out

May 28, 2020
Haven't there been soul stones or some such in Ultima Online where you could store some of your skills for later retrieval? Maybe something like that could work for MO2. Of course player crafted or enchanted or whathaveyou :)