Solo Huergar

Warshrike

Feb 13, 2022
Hey everyone! Had to step away from the game shortly after it released, but I now have some limited time to play.

That said, I'm looking to create some sort of solo friendly mage. I understand that this is an MMO, and that the game is best played with friends. I will be joining a guild, but just have limited time to do a lot of group stuff, so I want to be able to be self sufficient. And as the title implies, I'd like to play a Huergar. I understand that Sheevra would make a better solo mage due to the dex mage setups, but ultimately I'd like to play a Huergar strictly from an aesthetic and RP perspective. This game is very immersive, and I'd like to immerse myself in that, maybe even dabble in some RP at some point if that even exists in a hardcore PvP game like this haha.

Are there any setups currenlty that are solo friendly on a Huergar that use magic for more than just healing/purifying? I'd love to be able to magic as my primary source of damage, but am open to hybridized setups as well. I didn't see any builds online that really fit the bill for what I'm looking to do. Thank you!

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
Well, it is possible to make solo huergar full mage build but the issue will be that no matter what you do on foot, you will never be able to escape and will always be forced to take unfair fights with anyone you meet and if they are veela, you'll very rarely get a chance to finish them. It is extremely EXTREMELY tough to play full solo mage that isnt an alvarin and also doesnt use pets to compensate. Overall, if your goal would be to just roam the map and fight people at random POI and rarely if ever enter contested dungeons, you will probably be fine and might have some fun on it too.

So play this with all that in mind and here is how I would recommend building it.
Here is the link to the character creation website that is up to date so you can experiment if you want to change anything

Here is the screenshot of the fully finished build.

The build as basically all oghmir mages are, is doomed to move very slowly. The cause of this is that movement speed scales of dexterity but the curve isnt linear so you only increase your movement speed up to 25 dex then up to 50 dex you dont get any movement speed at all for which reason most builds stop dexterity at 25 dex.
You also cant decrease any of the other attribes as you need the health and mana to survive fights and to be able to do damage to actually kill someone. if you were to remove some constitution or int or further reduce psyche, you wont have enough HP / mana to survive / kill others.

Now for gameplay, for general mob farming you have elementalism which has 1 extremely good spell for farming called static charge which uses extremely cheap reagents so that would be your 1 and only way to farm mobs, you spurt them from distance and as they run toward you, you put down statit charge and parry the mobs or heal yourself until it dies to the static charge.

For PvP its much trickier, ideally you want to get a drop on someone and manage to land 1-2 thunderlash or shock spells on them to get their health close to half, once they are in melee range, you would want to just survive their damage and land death hand spell on that which can be used while moving to finish them off.
That would generally be it but there is extreme amount of spells and further things that you'll need to work out once you actually play the build.

That would be it, hopefully you find this helpful.

Reactions: Warshrike

Warshrike

Feb 13, 2022
Thank you for your reply, that was very helpful. Much appreciated!
I am open to hybrid or tamer setups as well, just as long as I can use magic for more than just healing/purifying. I ran what I guess people are calling an "Arcane Archer" when the game first came out, also on a Huergar. 123 str for max damage on long bows. I don't remember how much int I had, but it was enough to still be nuisance. That's when everyone was playing mounted archers though. So two shotting the horses was funny and put them in a bad spot. It worked decently well, and I had fun on it. So something like that is even fine.
I appreciate all of the combat tips though, those were very helpful.

Question on the build, most of the the "Fat Mage" Oghmir builds I've seen have maxed out int to 138. Is yours a bit lower just to be able to have that 25 dex? Mounted Fat Mage is even fine honestly, but I assume that can't really be used in dungeons?
As for my goal, I'm just trying to enjoy the game and the world. Plan on doing plenty of solo PvE stuff, plan on fighting people when I run into them out in the world, harvesting, crafting, etc. Just something I can log into the game and play for a few hours a week and have fun. I don't need to win every single fight, just be able to hold my own. Thank you!

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
The only way you will “hold your own” as a fat mage in a 1vs1 is either always stay mounted, or have a really good fighting pet. Thankfully these days you can have a really good fighting pet as your mount. You cant really ride inside a dungeon as mounts are forced to 1 speed. A fat mage on foot can farm some of the dungeons solo. the problem is that if you encounter pvp, as a fat mage, you are at a big disadvantage because you cant run away. You are pretty much forced to burst your enemy down before they get to you, or die.

Arcane Archer is probably the best solo mounted build with the most survivability in a 1vs1 (anywhere outside of dungeons). Its also the best build to farm just about any mob, outside of dungeons of course. Sadly it is a wheelchair build so if you lose your horse you are pretty much dead. Also they are terrible inside dungeons. If played correctly, nobody will be able to kill you(or your horse) except one other arcane archer, or multiple people. The ability to disengage from most fights and reset is unparalleled. If you can fit also a pet (like a linx) in your build, its stupidly OP.

Last edited:

Warshrike

Feb 13, 2022
The only way you will “hold your own” as a fat mage in a 1vs1 is either always stay mounted, or have a really good fighting pet. Thankfully these days you can have a really good fighting pet as your mount. You cant really ride inside a dungeon as mounts are forced to 1 speed. A fat mage on foot can farm some of the dungeons solo. the problem is that if you encounter pvp, as a fat mage, you are at a big disadvantage because you cant run away. You are pretty much forced to burst your enemy down before they get to you, or die.

Arcane Archer is probably the best solo mounted build with the most survivability in a 1vs1 (anywhere outside of dungeons). Its also the best build to farm just about any mob, outside of dungeons of course. Sadly it is a wheelchair build so if you lose your horse you are pretty much dead. Also they are terrible inside dungeons. If played correctly, nobody will be able to kill you(or your horse) but one other arcane archer, or multiple people. The ability to disengage from most fights and reset is unparalleled. If you can fit also a pet (like a linx) in your build, its stupidly OP.
Thank you for the insight! Is Oghmir a viable option for the Arcane Archer as well? Seems like all of the builds I've seen are Human or Alverin Clades. Since the Arcane Archer and Fat Mage are both wheelchair builds, what makes the Arcane Archer better than the Fat Mage in a 1v1 situation?

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Yea Oghmirs are viable as arcane archers and mounted fat mages, so with the same character you can try both playstyles and see which works for you best. You might not have enough primary points to fit a pet in the arcane archer build though. Humans are used mostly for the extra primary points, and alvarins for the extra weak spots chance and harder to hit. An Oghmir AA can use asymmetric bows also which deal much more damage than short bows.

The main advantage an AA has over a mounted mage (MM) is that the archer can turn while dealing damage with his bow. A MM has to ride in a straight line while casting both offensive and defensive spells, and his spell casting is longer than on foot. This makes a MM very predictable and easy to hit. Also a MM has a chance of having his spells interrupted when taking damage, the archer has no such problems when using his bow. Once you understand these 2 mechanics you can clearly see how an AA has the upper hand, especially since they can use magic shield to completely negate the MM’s damage. The MM can only try and heal the AA damage and hope not to get interrupted while casting and die. If the AA wants to get away from the fight all he has to do is wait foe the MM to start casting and ride in the opposite direction. The MM is forced to either stop casting and chase or keep casting and let the AA ride away from him.

Last edited:

Warshrike

Feb 13, 2022
Yea Oghmirs are viable as arcane archers and mounted fat mages, so with the same character you can try both playstyles and see which works for you best. You might not have enough primary points to fit a pet in the arcane archer build though. Humans are used mostly for the extra primary points, and alvarins for the extra weak spots chance and harder to hit. An Oghmir AA can use asymmetric bows also which deal much more damage than short bows.

The main advantage an AA has over a mounted mage (MM) is that the archer can turn while dealing damage with his bow. A MM has to ride in a straight line while casting both offensive and defensive spells, and his spell casting is longer than on foot. This makes a MM very predictable and easy to hit. Also a MM has a chance of having his spells interrupted when taking damage, the archer has no such problems when using his bow. Once you understand these 2 mechanics you can clearly see how an AA has the upper hand, especially since they can use magic shield to completely negate the MM’s damage. The MM can only try and heal the AA damage and hope not to get interrupted while casting and die.
Okay cool! Well at least there are two viable playstyles. Are there any viable setups I'd be able to run that aren't stuck to a wheelchair like the AA or MM are? Like some sort of Tamer Mage or higher dex setup? I'm more than happy to primarily be on a mount, but would still like to be able to do dungeons and whatnot.

Ah okay, that makes a lot of sense! So MM is basically a scuffed AA and AA uses magic for more defensive type stuff I presume? Maybe a fulm and corruption here and there?

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Okay cool! Well at least there are two viable playstyles. Are there any viable setups I'd be able to run that aren't stuck to a wheelchair like the AA or MM are? Like some sort of Tamer Mage or higher dex setup? I'm more than happy to primarily be on a mount, but would still like to be able to do dungeons and whatnot.

Ah okay, that makes a lot of sense! So MM is basically a scuffed AA and AA uses magic for more defensive type stuff I presume? Maybe a fulm and corruption here and there?
The only somewhat viable foot mage build is the Alvarin dex one, and even then you will need a good pet to actually take on any other build. Its a rat build, and you have to be comfortable doing a lot of running away.
Oghmirs on foot are slow. Even the high dex builds are very slow. Slow, for a mage, is death in dungeons, or pvp for that matter. Once a melee is on top of you, you are going to die.

Of course you can turn your Oghmir into a foot fighter (with or without pet). Ohgmirs are very good, super tanky and hard hitting melee fighters. Of course finishing enemies will be a struggle with the low dex, but you will be very hard to kill if you are good at blocking and understand melee fighting.

Its more like the AA is a MM with archery and a lot more manoeuvrability. And yes, AAs are made to deal most of the damage with their bow and use magic to heal (themselves and the horse) and utility spells like magic shield, purify and corrupt when the situation requires. If you are fighting someone with heavy armor, and you arrows aren't doing much damage, you can always soften up the target with some magic damage.

Last edited:

Warshrike

Feb 13, 2022
The only somewhat viable foot mage build is the Alvarin dex one, and even then you will need a good pet to actually take on any other build. Its a rat build, and you have to be comfortable doing a lot of running away.
Oghmirs on foot are slow. Even the high dex builds are very slow. Slow, for a mage, is death in dungeons, or pvp for that matter. Once a melee is on top of you, you are going to die.

Of course you can turn your Oghmir into a foot fighter (with or without pet). Ohgmirs are very good, super tanky and hard hitting melee fighters. Of course finishing enemies will be a struggle with the low dex, but you will be very hard to kill if you are good at blocking and understand melee fighting.

Its more like the AA is a MM with archery and a lot more manoeuvrability. And yes, AAs are made to deal most of the damage with their bow and use magic to heal (themselves and the horse) and utility spells like magic shield, purify and corrupt when the situation requires. If you are fighting someone with heavy armor, and you arrows aren't doing much damage, you can always soften up the target with some magic damage.
Ah okay, that makes a lot of sense! So maybe the MM would be stronger against heavily armored targets, but the AA is going to be better all around. Does a MM have enough points to spare to be able to have some strong tames with it? Or even Dom if that's a better option?

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
If you are talking straight dps then yes, a MM is better against a heavy armored enemy. However, because of lack of turning while charging your spells, MMs are very situational. You cant really stand still as MM or enemies will just bow you down, and riding in a straight line often takes you away from your target. You are then forced to turn around, get close enough to release the spell, and ride away to charge on other spell. Rinse and repeat. Its very hard to keep consistent pressure on a stationary target and mounted targets can just ride away from you. You also have less range than a bow. On top of that getting hit by a bow while casting can make you have to re-cast your spell, which makes you have to ride in a straight line even longer…MM only real enemy is a MA or AA because they can chase you down and kill your horse.

Im not sure if an Ohgmir AA has enough points for a pet. Humans have extra primary points, so they are used for builds that require a lot of skills. You probably can fit a pet on an Oghmir AA if you are willing to sacrifice either some healing, or some of the mounted archery sub skills.

Warshrike

Feb 13, 2022
If you are talking straight dps then yes, a MM is better against a heavy armored enemy. However, because of lack of turning while charging your spells, MMs are very situational. You cant really stand still as MM or enemies will just bow you down, and riding in a straight line often takes you away from your target. You are then forced to turn around, get close enough to release the spell, and ride away to charge on other spell. Rinse and repeat. Its very hard to keep consistent pressure on a stationary target and mounted targets can just ride away from you. You also have less range than a bow. On top of that getting hit by a bow while casting can make you have to re-cast your spell, which makes you have to ride in a straight line even longer…MM only real enemy is a MA or AA because they can chase you down and kill your horse.

Im not sure if an Ohgmir AA has enough points for a pet. Humans have extra primary points, so they are used for builds that require a lot of skills. You probably can fit a pet on an Oghmir AA if you are willing to sacrifice either some healing, or some of the mounted archery sub skills.
Okay, thank you for all of the detailed repsonses! Kind of leaning towards a MM tamer I think but going to think on it a bit. Should be making a character at some point tonight!

Reactions: Jackdstripper

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
A MM tamer can be fun. They are quite strong vs any foot build as long as they don't get dismounted. You can even run away from lancers if they dont surprise you. Depending on the pet, you can pve quite easily and even do some dungeons if nobody bothers you. MAs will be your toughest fights but, if you get fed up with them, you can always transition to a AA pretty easy.

To fights MAs i suggest wearing heavy horse armor like pansar or steel(to lower arrow damage) and go full offensive on their horse. Most MAs will peel off once their horse gets low as they dont want to be dismounted. Your spells do a lot more damage to their horse, than their arrows do to your armored horse.

Last edited: