slings

balmz

Aug 14, 2020
Slings are an underrated weapon in most games if they even appear, i propose that slings be added to the game

===Basics===

Slings would be a one handed projectile weapon for players

slings would have somewhat less damage then long bows or crossbows but better damage then shortbows

however slings may be used with some shield types like bucklers, targes, light shields or a light offhand weapon unlike bows or crossbows which generally are 2 handed weapons

slings would have a better range then shortbows or crossbows but less then longbows

The speed would be around shortbow speed because irl a good slinger could fire 10 shots per minute

slings would be far more dependent on the user's skill then bows or crossbows are for damage and accuracy

the slings base damage based on material type and tier is somewhat worse then bows/crossbows so the user depends on good skill and good ammo more unlike bows/crossbows

slings would use strength as their governing attribute instead of agility/dexterity since slings use a different method and way of firing ammo then bows do, bows and crossbows use mechincal tension to fire projectiles but slings rely on the user's own strength

the advantages of slings would be they are far easier and cheaper to make then any other ranged weapon, ammo is far easier to make and obtain for slings, it also provides a nice ranged option for poor players, starter characters, monks, light traveling players and npcs

An additional idea to make them more useful is slings have a chance to knockback foes unlike bows or crossbows

===Slings Themselves===

The skill requirements or materials needed to make slings and their ammo is far less then bows and arrows, ideal for poor players, new players, players out in the field or light traveling players

Slings and their ammo would weigh far less then bows/crossbows and their ammo,

slings maybe don't even have a weight due to their design (this is partially based of D&D) unlike bows/cbows

Additionally like irl players could wear it as a belt or necklace or headband to save room in inventory or to travel more lightly when not using it as a weapon

sling ammo has little weight due to the size and shape, maybe even less then arrows/bolts

===Making Slings===

Slings could easily be crafted in the field without need of a forge, workshop or any type of tool needed unlike bows/crossbows or their ammo which require several tools or a workshop

players could have a special ability similar to the lesser powers in skyrim, this ability would let them attempt to make a sling where ever they currently are if they have the materials and are not in combat, this is also ideal for survival based players so they don't need workbenchs or shops

Slings could be crafted from wool, animal hair, plant and tree roots, sinew, a creature's gut, hide and leather obtained from foes slain, rush, reeds, vines, jute, hemp, flax, rope, certain types of ferns and bark and maybe even metal chain(like for jewelry)

Braided and plaited slings irl are generally considered to be the best type of slings, perhaps with the craft skill players can learn to make the better types with better materials

===Making and Getting Sling Ammo===

slings would use bullets or rocks as ammo

players can make metal bullets from metal bars, this requires less skill then making arrows and materials, only metal bars are needed for making metal sling bullets unlike arrows which might need wood, feathers and metal for creation, metal bullets would have the best damage potential of all sling ammo but weigh the most and have higher requirements to make

clay bullets can also be made by players by mining clay near water then baking it in a kiln, as with metal bullets, only clay is needed, they have the second best damage potential and weigh 2nd most

players can also use rocks as ammo, these weigh the least but have the weakest damage (though they are still deadly) and are very easy to find

players can obtain rocks when mining for ore, from foes, from vendors or from smelters

Players also could have a special ability called search area: when used the character spends some time searching for rocks in the area

Using the search ability near natural water sources greatly increases the amount and chances of suitable rocks being found, irl the best rocks were found by rivers and shores

Clay bullets and rocks are always lost on use but metal bullets have a decent chance of being able to be recovered, for rock ammo it’s not an issue as they can be found basically anywhere

An additional idea based of rl history is players can also have aerodynamic ammo, this ammo in an ovoid shape is more aerodynamic and fits in a sling better, when used, the ammo travels further and is more likely to hit a foe

Metal and clay bullets can be made aerodynamic with the right skill but require somewhat more skill then regular bullets to make

Aerodynamic rocks are random chance if they are aerodynamic when found, though rocks from rivers and shores are more likely to be aerodynamic due to how flowing water shapes them over time

=== Sling Conclusion===

slings would be excellent ranged weapons for character types like monks, clerics, minimal item types, farmers, wanderers, pilgrims, priests, survivalist and hunters

slings could be extremely common for most npcs and foes to carry, the humble peasants , farmers, hunters and monks would almost certainly carry a sling and know how to use it, it would help against wolves, bandits or other threats, the sling irl was a commoners weapon and often sadly seen as a lower class weapon while bows and crossbows were more the rich persons or military weapon of choices despite slings being able to be just as deadly

slings are also good ranged options for non agility based ranged characters like warriors instead of bows that use strength and carry heavy equipment on them and need a lighter ranged weapon option

Slings being able to be used with shields also gives ranged characters some interesting options for combat

slings not requiring tools or a workbench to make gives them a nice edge over other ranged weapons

bows and crossbows were more rare then fantasy tends to make you think they are since they require a skilled crafter and tools to make as well as make the ammo, slings? You can make one easy anywhere with no tools and rock ammo is basically free and everywhere

there's no real reason why pretty much any non super rich person wouldn't carry a sling, it weighs next to nothing and ammo is super easy to find, seriously go outside and search for any small rocks for 5 minutes

Slings are good at short, medium and long range for battle
slings irl were fully capable of being just as lethal as bows against foes, even armored foes as they could break bones, shatter swords, cause concussions, contusions and cause fatal internal injuries and bleeding

Virtually every ancient army used slingers to some degree.

Slingers from the island of Rhodes were considered to be very skilled compared to other Greeks; so much so that Xenophon asked his Rhodian hoplites to be slingers instead.

The Spanish Balearic Islands were also famous for the skill of their slingers; being employed as mercenaries by the empires of Carthage and Rome.

The tematlatl was a sling that atzec warriors used that spanned as much as 2.2 metres , could fire stones that were the size of a chicken egg. Often the stones were custom chosen and sharpened as well to inflict more damage. The tematlatl had a range equal and sometimes greater than bows, could kill a horse in one blow, hurt even heavy armored foes well and shatter swords

this is a chance and a way to portray slings in a realistic and good way for a change

Reactions: KermyWormy

jbrewer

Jul 20, 2020
you could have both maybe, slings let you throw rocks farther and harder
If rock throwing is to be added there needs to be a way for it to not be a minimum effort input to get a crap load of damage output. Like, imagine a bunch of nakeds just chucking rocks at 10-15 damage per on someone in metal armor because of blunt damage. You could make it so rocks NEED to be player crafted, like cuprum rocks or steel rocks, or, you could make it available at vendors for the same price as arrows. But rocks should definitely not be able to be just found on the ground or at the side of a river.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Didya look at the rocks in the plains? Those fuckers will kill people.

Slings are a bit ancient thought. Everything currently in MO2 screams renaissance. So I´m not sure about this one.
Then again it could be a nice weapon for hunting or for Veela and similar low strength characters. Mounted sheevra slinger hybrid anyone?

balmz

Aug 14, 2020
Didya look at the rocks in the plains? Those fuckers will kill people.

Slings are a bit ancient thought. Everything currently in MO2 screams renaissance. So I´m not sure about this one.
Then again it could be a nice weapon for hunting or for Veela and similar low strength characters. Mounted sheevra slinger hybrid anyone?

slings actually were used for a long time even in renaissance, again the sheer ease of making them and finding ammo applies even then, remember not everyone had the luxury or coins of buying bows or crossbows, then there is cultural differences and reasons for using slings

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
slings actually were used for a long time even in renaissance, again the sheer ease of making them and finding ammo applies even then, remember not everyone had the luxury or coins of buying bows or crossbows, then there is cultural differences and reasons for using slings

Cool, I never heard about that. Got anywhere I can read up on it? I mean I know people used them for sport and against wild animals (shepherds etc.) but in warfare?

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
David and Goliath... ultimate sling story.. lol

Love the idea, though it needs to be seen as a 2h weapon. Ideally like a bow or crossbow. Giving anyone the use of an offhand like a book and a sling makes no sense unless your slinging the book at people.

Thus being said, bows will always be stronger than a proper old school sling ( both can cause death on naked head shots). Even though a proper sling would have blunt damage not piercing damage (blunt arrows irl have little impact damage, mostly used for target practice. ) . So depending on the armor used would determine overall damage. One could also say the type of ammo used would matter on how much damage is dealt as well. I would say material and ammo determains the quality of the sling/ damage. Just like any other crafted item in game.

I agree something like this could be added, I always thought range weapons lacked damage versatility.

-Phen

balmz

Aug 14, 2020
David and Goliath... ultimate sling story.. lol

Love the idea, though it needs to be seen as a 2h weapon. Ideally like a bow or crossbow. Giving anyone the use of an offhand like a book and a sling makes no sense unless your slinging the book at people.

Thus being said, bows will always be stronger than a proper old school sling ( both can cause death on naked head shots). Even though a proper sling would have blunt damage not piercing damage (blunt arrows irl have little impact damage, mostly used for target practice. ) . So depending on the armor used would determine overall damage. One could also say the type of ammo used would matter on how much damage is dealt as well. I would say material and ammo determains the quality of the sling/ damage. Just like any other crafted item in game.

I agree something like this could be added, I always thought range weapons lacked damage versatility.

-Phen

i never suggested a book, i suggested they could use light shields like bucklers or targes in offhand like irl but not any better or heavier shields

maybe the sling could be somewhat weaker then bows/cbows but you get to carry a shield in your offhand for defense which those 2 weapons can't do

also allows ranged to have a non piercing damage weapon type

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
i never suggested a book, i suggested they could use light shields like bucklers or targes in offhand like irl but not any better or heavier shields

maybe the sling could be somewhat weaker then bows/cbows but you get to carry a shield in your offhand for defense which those 2 weapons can't do

also allows ranged to have a non piercing damage weapon type
I think you missed my point. If you give someone a chance to have a sidearm with a range weapon it will get abused. Your sidearm would be a rock if any. Giving you a melee blunt attack and a range attack, though should be a reload time for you to grab another rock ( or make it an action I guess ).

Don't forget that the shield should have a bash effect and not this massive push. If implemented as is with the shields the way they are. People will sit on tents and shoot down with a shield and push everyone away. Just doesn't seems decent. Also if you've held a shield tried to use a sling, your stam drain would be crazy high.

Just used the book as an example because of how viable hybrid mages are. Give me a mini range damage plus magic. Oh man, good luck on even keeping up!! Especially on a mount xP

balmz

Aug 14, 2020
well maybe if the only type of hand offhand item they can use is a weak buckler that is not as great as other shields it could be more fair, not sure how to make it fair

Reactions: Phen

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
well maybe if the only type of hand offhand item they can use is a weak buckler that is not as great as other shields it could be more fair, not sure how to make it fair
I always go to the old saying " KISS ".

In this case, your ammo is your off hand?
I could see this even being used for bows and crossbows. Making a player draw a full action by loading your ammo before aiming. Then the off hand or ammo, could be used as a secondary attack and/or a way of blocking depending on the weapon type.

Range weapons used 2 hands to load no matter what the range weapon is.

Although adding a craftable armor part that has a small buckler preattached, would be similar to how other cultures used small shield and slings, bows, spears, ect. Then having that armor part equipped would just restrict use of shields.

Just trying to help with your suggestion my friend!
-Phen

balmz

Aug 14, 2020
yeah i know, anyway the main idea was to give ranged more options then just bows