Sieging People Out of the Game!

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I'm on a thanksgiving roll!

I was showing a friend stuff about TC failing and ended up showing him a Spez vid of them trying to hammer down a chancery. Long story short, it was brought up in the vid and in the comments that the reason they chose that was because too many people were 'sieged out of the game.' 'Better safe than sorry.'

I wonder if it occurred to anyone that someone might do something that makes people want to siege them out of the game? haha. It's possible that people's behavior with their TC could make people quit (and it did in MO1, ahemwalls.)

People say if siege is too easy, dudes will just knock down houses, and while that may be true, you can build again elsewhere pretty easily. All of these just incase changes for MO seem to have made the game stale. There are plenty of gigantic TC metropolises that could probably go down for the betterment of the game.

I never built a house in MO because I thought someone might siege me. Now, I wouldn't care, but the point is, not everyone needs to have a house to play, and if you can't find a sympathetic guild to help protect / rebuild your stuff then you must really be a cancerous player.

I understand TC = sub, but it's still shortsighted to focus on player retention when you implement game mechanics.

It seems to me like a lot of siege needs to happen before things even out. The world looks overbuilt atm.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
All of Mortal Online 2 is a giant overreaction to things that "made people quit the game". It explains the wardecs, tc, not being able to move at greater than tortoise speeds, teleporting lictor guards. MO1 had a balance, safe towns but not totally safe, can build but you might get blown up etc. Instead Henrik wants to make everyone a winner.

Henrik is a prime example of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

He killed Mortal, by being overprotective of it.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
All of Mortal Online 2 is a giant overreaction to things that "made people quit the game". It explains the wardecs, tc, not being able to move at greater than tortoise speeds, teleporting lictor guards. MO1 had a balance, safe towns but not totally safe, can build but you might get blown up etc. Instead Henrik wants to make everyone a winner.

Henrik is a prime example of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

He killed Mortal, by being overprotective of it.

Remember all the "The Guild RPK has Been Eliminated!" and everyone would be like "yeah finally!!" in Help Chat. haha.

Then that dude TerrorX would knock down a DOOM control tower w/ fire arrows while they slept because they were black listing RPKs. Eventually, they had to work out a treaty.

With the amount of people that most guilds have, building is easy. Speccing engineering makes it move WAY faster. Ez build, ez siege makes sense. If you got anything really valuable, store it in a permabank.

I think it's new players, though, because I was on ground level and I knew a lot of people. I'd say just as many people quit from their buildings bugging out or bad GM decisions than being sieged out of the game. Nubs really did get camped out of the game, but other than stuff (lol yea RPK reference, again) like the Christmas siege, there was hardly anything bad. I got bored of MO, so I dipped in and out, but I was always on the forums and most of the action was there. If people were getting sieged out of the game, it would have been posted there.

THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO GOT SIEGED OUT OF THE GAME WERE ID ALLIANCE AND THEY HELD A MASSIVE STRANGLEHOLD ON THE MAP FOR LIKE EIGHT YEARS. Methinks they couldn't take the L. They would have come back and tried again. It's all cyclical. Sometimes people need to take a break. The game, however, needs to keep churning. Stagnancy is the worst thing for a sandbox.

Reactions: Xunila and Teknique

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Without sieging and an actual reason for owning a keep (taxes that work) there is nothing to do. This game gets boring fast. You can only amass so many resources and gold and then what?

Sieging keeps people logging in to both assault and defend, but most importantly it makes people use those resources stimulating the economy. It creates and breaks alliances. It creates mercenaries. It drives the economy. When people use resources then the markets start selling and everyone in the region is busy collecting, farming, mining, transporting, etc.

Yes, you do risk some people leaving when they lose a keep, but you will lose people regardless if there is nothing to do. As long as the siege is not a ninja siege and there are no exploits most people will not quit the game. They may take a pause but will come back.

ID left the game after their siege in MO1 because after months of preparation, and days of sieging the enemy exploited a bug to enter the keep and kill all their naked repair characters. I was at that siege and remember the shit storm that created. Understandably. Many other guilds lost keep and didnt leave the game.

So yea, losing a keep because of cheating or exploiting will make people leave the game. Not because they lost a keep by legitimate means. This is why its imperative that A) TC and sieging works correctly and B) GMs closely monitor sieges and come down heavy on people exploiting or cheating.

Last edited: