Should I Make A Post Explaining to fartbox, et al... why MO2 is not Succeeding?

Should I Explain The Beauty of MO1 and Contrast It with MO2?

• Total voters

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
You know me, kids. Prol 1/4th of my posts that weren't just comments or jokes were trying to explain to people why things are happening when I feel they misunderstand. I am not trying to be a know it all (believe it or not,) I'm just trying to correct thinking errors before they further worsen the game.

I would do this by contrasting MO1 pre TC with MO2. I don't think you can properly understand without experiencing both, although I wasn't here for early MO, I saw the game before it got screwed.

It's not as simple as fix combat, etc (tho that would be nice!)

Peace, be back n awhilez.

manure

May 7, 2022
But Emdash, its so easy...

In MO1 we had THIEVING. One of the most fun and exciting system made on any MMO ever !

In MO2, we dont have Thieving !
Instead, we have guards everywhere... guards guards and more guards, even outside town, in the middle of freaking nowhere !

Do we need anything else to be said ?
No !

Amelia

Jun 6, 2020
In Mo1 we had ALSO thieving and many other things but anyway was not enough. In mo2 we have a more friendly mmorpg build to attract more players but seem not enough.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Nostalgia is the rose tint of your very large, very thick glasses.

MO1 was a ground breaking experience. Never before had we had a first person melee game, in a huge seamless world with full loot pvp. It was pioneering days and everything was exciting. Frankly most of us had very few expectations and just went with the flow. It was fun but also terribly frustrating, and for anyone outside Europe it was a desync fest 10 times worse than now.

too many vets easily forget all the terrible issues the game had. Terrible desync, terrible node lines everywhere (people would go invincible), terrible fps in large battles ( you’d get kicked and unable to log back in), only 2 viable races, unkillable bred horses, being forced to be miner/crafter without any combat abilities(free loot bag), guard zone pvp, endless pv chasing because running away was the king strat, boulder holding, ninja sieging, terminator Death Knights, absolutely no guides or help on anything (players had to make all the guides), terrible GM corruption, books without description, and on and on. Not even mentioning the endless amount of bugs and glitches and exploits that were present. Random game errors that nobody knew how to fix. The list is endless.

MO2 is a far better game in its first year and half than MO1 was even in its 5th year, but it is missing some core features like thieving. Stop kidding yourselves about the past.

Reactions: Doom and Gloom

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
MO1 online for 9 years; Average daily concurrent users was 80 over that 9 year span.

Darkfall and DFUW were superior to MO1 and MO2 in every way and they were still deemed financially unfeasible. They went offline. Which means MO2 is using money it doesn't have to stay online.

Getting more players isn't a matter of lulzing around, it's a matter of survival. If the community in MO2 won't make concessions and pressure SV into changing the game then the game will go off-line. At some point the population in MO2 will enter what I call the "Doom-spiral" that MMO's go into during their low population phase.

The "Doom-spiral" effect is observable when the population gets low enough to discourage new players from even investigating the game. They see MMO, they see low numbers and then they don't go any further. This cascades in sandbox MMO's where the players are the content; The older players still playing the game don't have anything to do, then they also log-out.

MO2 isn't there yet but it's one bad month away. Grow up and learn to make compromises. Im a MMORPG enthusiast, I doubt anyone on this board has played more MMORPGs or has more knowledge of MMORPG's then I do. Except maybe people who make a career out of it; IE: Josh Strife Hayes. I speak from a place of experience, reason and rationale. I make posts here to suggest changes that would encourage population growth because i've experienced what works and i've experienced what doesn't work and also because I like Henrik and I like the Mortal franchise, I want the game to be successful even if i'm not playing it.

Attachments

• 1687914786565070.jpg
    1687914786565070.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 0

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
I doubt anyone on this board has played more MMORPGs or has more knowledge of MMORPG's then I do.
Oh my everyone you better bow down and take a knee, it looks like we are in the shadow of greatness. You'd think with all this knowledge and experience Fart here would be making his own VERY successful games. The likes of which none of us peons would be able to fathom... lol...

Forgive us oh great one and teach us, we know not what we do...

😂😂😂

Golgotha

Jul 18, 2020

MO2 is a far better game in its first year and half than MO1 was even in its 5th year, but it is missing some core features like thieving. Stop kidding yourselves about the past.
Truth. Speaks volumes about these forums.

To each their own, though.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
MO1 online for 9 years; Average daily concurrent users was 80 over that 9 year span.

Darkfall and DFUW were superior to MO1 and MO2 in every way and they were still deemed financially unfeasible. They went offline. Which means MO2 is using money it doesn't have to stay online.

Getting more players isn't a matter of lulzing around, it's a matter of survival. If the community in MO2 won't make concessions and pressure SV into changing the game then the game will go off-line. At some point the population in MO2 will enter what I call the "Doom-spiral" that MMO's go into during their low population phase.

The "Doom-spiral" effect is observable when the population gets low enough to discourage new players from even investigating the game. They see MMO, they see low numbers and then they don't go any further. This cascades in sandbox MMO's where the players are the content; The older players still playing the game don't have anything to do, then they also log-out.

MO2 isn't there yet but it's one bad month away. Grow up and learn to make compromises. Im a MMORPG enthusiast, I doubt anyone on this board has played more MMORPGs or has more knowledge of MMORPG's then I do. Except maybe people who make a career out of it; IE: Josh Strife Hayes. I speak from a place of experience, reason and rationale. I make posts here to suggest changes that would encourage population growth because i've experienced what works and i've experienced what doesn't work and also because I like Henrik and I like the Mortal franchise, I want the game to be successful even if i'm not playing it.
MO2 entered the death spiral when it couldn't accommodate all the people that bought it on launch. Looking back, it was done then. Let's face it, the game doesn't even reach the online count of other competing private server games that are even free like UO Outlands, ever since TC the playerbase dropped from about 1,5k peak to 1k peak ccu. And this feature is the main selling point of MO2 as marketed!

The only ones left playing are the "battered housewives" knowing "he's not like that" while they get punched in the face by reality whenever they are confronted with the developer's blatant incompetence.

Case in point: the 2hander like dagger exploit. All it needed to do is become public and suddenly there's a fix for it lol

Reactions: Doom and Gloom

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

MO1 was a ground breaking experience. Never before had we had a first person melee game, in a huge seamless world with full loot pvp. It was pioneering days and everything was exciting. Frankly most of us had very few expectations and just went with the flow. It was fun but also terribly frustrating, and for anyone outside Europe it was a desync fest 10 times worse than now.

too many vets easily forget all the terrible issues the game had. Terrible desync, terrible node lines everywhere (people would go invincible), terrible fps in large battles ( you’d get kicked and unable to log back in), only 2 viable races, unkillable bred horses, being forced to be miner/crafter without any combat abilities(free loot bag), guard zone pvp, endless pv chasing because running away was the king strat, boulder holding, ninja sieging, terminator Death Knights, absolutely no guides or help on anything (players had to make all the guides), terrible GM corruption, books without description, and on and on. Not even mentioning the endless amount of bugs and glitches and exploits that were present. Random game errors that nobody knew how to fix. The list is endless.

Mo2 is far better on certain aspects and far worse on certain aspects. That’s the actual truth

Reactions: Hodo and Amadman

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
I voted "Yes" for content reasons, not because I believe MO1 was better.

It will be very interesting for a while to get people pick apart your arguments or try to support them here.

Nothing else is happening here anyways, so why not do it?

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
too many vets easily forget all the terrible issues the game had.

Issues that do not, generally, exist in MO2. Issues that have nothing to do with design flaws. Issues that EVERY SINGLE PERSON who bought into MO2 ASSUMED would be fixed. I wonder how many thought the game would change this drastically? Even in beta you could kill people in cities. I did it in Bakti just for luls. My boy lifted a steel set off someone in Bakti. He didn't make it out of town, prol made a mistake (wasn't there,) but he got it and was moving.

It's apples and oranges. I forget nothing, trust haha.

THE ISSUE IS MO2 SHOULD HAVE THE GOOD PARTS OF MO2 WITH THE GOOD PARTS OF MO1! It should be like... MO1 but BETTER.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I voted "Yes" for content reasons, not because I believe MO1 was better.

It will be very interesting for a while to get people pick apart your arguments or try to support them here.

Nothing else is happening here anyways, so why not do it?

I think MO1 was better, but it's a tough argument because of how trash a lot of the game was. I don't think you can take the argument that MO1 was better than MO2 to court. I'm saying the way it functioned and its design. I have a feeling I won't be doing this, but I'm gonna look at the poll now. I could just do it anyway, but I wanted to POLL.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Oh my everyone you better bow down and take a knee, it looks like we are in the shadow of greatness. You'd think with all this knowledge and experience Fart here would be making his own VERY successful games. The likes of which none of us peons would be able to fathom... lol...

Forgive us oh great one and teach us, we know not what we do...

😂😂😂

lol I nubbed myself cuz I can't see the results without voting in my own poll. RIP. Anyway, re: his comment, it's a mistake because it doesn't matter. MO1 was MO1. Logical fallacy. Everyone knows MO1 and EVEN MO2 are extremely niche games.

It's just his way of explaining over the fact that he 'doesn't know' MO1. I don't care. I am not claiming anything other than that I can lay out the mechanics that made MO1 'good' that MO2 doesn't have or took away in, in my opinion (bias?), a compelling way. I CAN EVEN COMPEL FARTBOX. But some people just refuse to concede anything. OK ahem ahem.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I can't spam my own thread without going 4x.

Dude you got problems loool. 4real. I, and many other people, respect that you said you are a good dueler in Fab. I personally know nothing about you. This is how MO community works.

I think you have some other issues that are preventing you from succeeding in MO2 and personally I think you have a high level chance of actually enjoying the game if you just get over a few things. You are not in the same boat as a lot of the people here. You don't see that the game is fatally flawed.

Fuck it.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

lol I dunno why I'm still looking at this thread, but you voted no to me explaining to you why the game is failing.

This sentence might seem logical to you, but it makes absolutely no sense. "Darkfall and DFUW were superior to MO1 and MO2 in every way and they were still deemed financially unfeasible. They went offline. Which means MO2 is using money it doesn't have to stay online." Do you realize that? This is a problem when discussing things, when you assume something means something or that something can't have other causes.

I want the game to be successful, too, but I saw early on it wasn't going to be. As time progressed, I realized this more and more. I'm not a MO1 lifer. I'm only a vet because I played it and I did stuff. I prol didn't play for a year and a half total time.

MO1 made me realize a lot of things were possible in a game; the fact that you label yourself an MMO enthusiast, in this case, is a strike against you. You are looking at MO as if it is another MMO, but it's not. In the same way you made those strange logical leaps in the sentence I highlighted, you will probably look at my statement as a sign of how "resistant to change" the MO community is.

I'm looking at it from way further outside than you are. The market actually needs a 'hardcore' game like this. Because you personally can't stomach getting zerged... that sucks. You don't have any RIGHT to not get zerged, tho. The people who zerg you grouped up so they could zerg people who outskilled / geared them.

I was gonna try to explain, to the best of my ability, how I see the structure of a hardcore pvp game and go in depth. It has different 'pockets;' many different games are being played at once, and that's what makes it good. The things you are speaking of were not addressed properly by SV at all, BUT they, and probably their focus group of experts (lol,) highlighted the same issues you believe are problematic and TRIED to fix them. They are still trying to fix them.

My point is... that's not what needs to be fixed heh. It's not a matter of waving your hands in front of the devs or the community because we are in a different sphere now and nobody even wants to go back to the other one. This game could have been like MO1 but polished. People would rage quit. People would write bad steam reviews. Shit, it might even get like 30-40% positive, but it would have an active playerbase and would not be in a "death spiral."

Right now, every MMO is trying to soften up. There is a space for a game where you can actually do what you want. I've said this before, but I said to a friend back in da day, "Man, I wish there was a game where you could just do what you want... y'know, no quests or whatever, just get it in." And he was like I GOT THE GAME FOR YOU. Prol trolling me, haha, but it stuck.

If they had found a way to get people starting with gear and give them some fighting chance at steam release instead of just feeding them to angry vets, none of this would have happened. Like I said, if you were there... (this is why it matters that you weren't) you would see MO2 as a reaction to MO1's failed steam release (even tho the game was out for some time before that,) and Henrik + SV desperately preparing for their 'second chance,' and not letting that stuff happen again.

If they make MO2 like MO1, just as hardcore, pvping in towns and everything, it succeeds more than MO2. I PUT THAT ON ANYTHING. Now, I would believe they would want to make changes then, but grow from THAT. Don't grow from some utopian idea you created as a response to watching your dreams get crushed as RPK camps your pop out of the game.

Anyway peace bud and put some butter on dat death spiral, enjoy the ride.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Honestly 1150 concurrent is pretty strong for a game with so many bugs.

not when you consider they aren't doing shit. lol. 600 players going balls 2 the wall would make a better game. That's the point.