Removing murderer titles sucks.

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
There are plenty of players who pride themselves as playing the 'bad guy' role. That's part of Mortal. It's part of what makes this game a hardcore experience. I know Henrik and SV are tripping on this new 'let's all hold hands and be friends' narrative for the gameplay now, but that isn't the Mortal Online we all know and love. And it isn't going to be reflective of a game where you can die anywhere (except Haven) at any time. A game where someone can steal your stuff right as you're banking it. Plus, let's be real, the murderer set of titles was cool. 'the Wicked' 'Dreadlord', etc were just cool sounding. So you decided to take the titles away? Is this a permanent change, or just so that people won't be priest camped during the beta? Anyways, that's my feedback. The game will be horribly boring without the 'bad guys'. And without bad guys, there can be no good guys, everyone is just a guy. Boring.

Reactions: Rorry

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
The game will be horribly boring without the 'bad guys'.
Having a title is not what makes you a bad guy, with or without 'shock quotes'. Notoreity comes with what others have noticed you doinjg.

Having played games (i.e. SWG, and also early MO1) where players had reputations, regardless of titles or instead of titles, I have to say I think people get the attention they deserve most of the time.
And without bad guys, there can be no good guys, everyone is just a guy. Boring.
I understand that some might believe this, but I believe altruism is one of the salient characteristics of being an alpha male.
Put a room full of guys together, none of them 'bad', per se, and the ones who can help solve problems will stand out from the mediocre.

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
How is what you said an argument for murderer titles being necessary?

You would be bored without them. Okay.

They're not needed and won't be missed if never added.

Won't be interesting if they are added.

That's the point.

Yes, it will be interesting if they are added. You can easily identify the hardcore murderers of the game with the titles. The titles sound cool- that's literally all titles are for in the first place. Are you trying to say they don't sound cool? You're crazy. They will be missed if they aren't added, as evidenced by me making this thread and lamenting their absence. By YOUR logic, no titles are needed at all. So let's just delete the system, right?

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
You can easily identify the hardcore murderers of the game with the titles.
We can easily identify the deadliest murderers without them.

With them, we can identify those with high bodycounts, and resume the same arguments-- some of them uncontested-- found in MO1 orver who farmed what title with what kind of cheeseball tactics and/or bottom feeding. We can reward quality over quantity where doing so is warranted.

Real esteem is not something the game can attach to you along with some text on the screen when your avatar is moused over.

But it's entirely possible that everyone who gets a high body count, no matter how, will get a gold star. We'll see.

Reactions: Raknor

MomoWang

May 7, 2021
I was under the impression those titles have been removed as they cannot yet be counted and thus haven't been implemented. This is similar to the titles for mining rock, chopping wood, extracting and refining.

Piet

May 28, 2020
I am hoping they make it so noobs and priest camping doesn't count towards murderer titles to really show who deserves the titles better instead of encouraging lame behavior over actually being a badass.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
For things not yet implemented, it's hard for me to use the word 'removed.'
I was under the impression those titles have been removed as they cannot yet be counted and thus haven't been implemented. This is similar to the titles for mining rock, chopping wood, extracting and refining.
Yeah. Remember when they started counting 'meals cooked'?
After <redacted> and I had quit experimenting with cooking, naturally.
And when they began tabulatring Sophistication scrores all oever again, wiping all that had been accumulated?
FUnny, because then-- after all-- Soph didn't get any use that was ever intended for it.​

Timing means a lot.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
From the patch notes:
  • Removed all titles from the title menu that could not be completed.
It seems to me that their reason for removing the said titles (which presumably includes murderer-related ones) have to do with them not being able to be achieved, perhaps due to a bug...?

We shall see.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
They removed the digger and extractor titles from the list too. I’m sure they will be back when they actually work, hopefully with many new ones as well.

edit: oops just saw Grandmaster Digger Momo beat me to it :)

I don't think this is the case. I doubt they removed the PK titles because 'they didn't work.' There are titles for killing criminals and murderers, some of which I've already earned so I know they work. There is even a title for killing Horses. A griefer's favorite past time. However, not one title for just killing players, unless those players are criminals or murderers. There isn't really a good argument for taking these titles away, either. Because supposedly it's harder to kill murderers or criminals? Everyone who actively PvPs is going to be a "murderer" by the game's definition. Because WarDecs aren't in yet, so if you are in a guild and you do anything except roll over and die, you will have over 5 murdercounts- assuming you play actively. Some people in this thread certainly do not play the game actively, which is obvious from their viewpoint.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I don't think this is the case. I doubt they removed the PK titles because 'they didn't work.' There are titles for killing criminals and murderers, some of which I've already earned so I know they work. There is even a title for killing Horses. A griefer's favorite past time. However, not one title for just killing players, unless those players are criminals or murderers. There isn't really a good argument for taking these titles away, either. Because supposedly it's harder to kill murderers or criminals? Everyone who actively PvPs is going to be a "murderer" by the game's definition. Because WarDecs aren't in yet, so if you are in a guild and you do anything except roll over and die, you will have over 5 murdercounts- assuming you play actively. Some people in this thread certainly do not play the game actively, which is obvious from their viewpoint.
It may be that certain titles have been seen in internal testing to break some other part of the game which can happen in game development. Just because a title can be earned may not necessarily mean that there aren't any issues with it.

A recent example of this was when they had to temporarily remove the fur from creatures in a patch because it was causing issues with another part of the game. Can't remember which patch version. These things happen sometimes with complex games.

The game still has 4 months before full release so if they removed it for now there's every reason that they'll bring it back later on.

Reactions: MomoWang

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
It may be that certain titles have been seen in internal testing to break some other part of the game which can happen in game development. Just because a title can be earned may not necessarily mean that there aren't any issues with it.

A recent example of this was when they had to temporarily remove the fur from creatures in a patch because it was causing issues with another part of the game. Can't remember which patch version. These things happen sometimes with complex games.

The game still has 4 months before full release so if they removed it for now there's every reason that they'll bring it back later on.

Honestly, I do hope this is the case. I think part of the reason I'm worried it's not is on Henrik's last stream, some of the things he said had me worried about the direction of the game - regarding pvp and murderers. Combine that with the fact that the 'murderer' titles are the main ones missing, I was concerned. Honestly I hope that it's simply a "this isn't fixed/implemented yet" type issue, rather than an intentional omission.

On a related note, I would like to see red nameplates back in the game. It's dumb that my name plate is blue when I've killed so many people. Red nameplates looked cool and gave a sense of warning, a sign of danger. Watch out this dude kills people. I don't know what criteria would need to be met, but having a 'red' player nameplate again would be nice.

Reactions: MomoWang and Rorry

Robomanatee

Jul 29, 2021
"Bad guys" should only be murdering people for legitimate reasons like to take someone stuff or because it fun to kill people. They should NOT be killing people to farm titles or achievements.
I'm honestly just against achievements in general.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
The game will be horribly boring without the 'bad guys'. And without bad guys, there can be no good guys, everyone is just a guy. Boring.
This is somethign a lot of people miss. Tons of people want to be ARPK, white knights, keepers of the peace. But that only works if theres bad guys to zerg. When doing any criminal acts is too punishing, people wont do them. And then there's no action for the good guys either. And thats the entire point in the game. Crafting, materials, gear, etc all revolve around the end goal. Conflict.

Reactions: Tzone

tumor

Apr 22, 2021
Add a considerable cooldown when you kill a blue so you cannot farm them at the priest. I have MC's out the ass and most of them havent been helpless noobs.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
This is somethign a lot of people miss. Tons of people want to be ARPK, white knights, keepers of the peace. But that only works if theres bad guys to zerg. When doing any criminal acts is too punishing, people wont do them. And then there's no action for the good guys either. And thats the entire point in the game. Crafting, materials, gear, etc all revolve around the end goal. Conflict.
That's really a good point. But it has-- NOTHING-- to do with the virtues of titles for Murder, nor does it address why Titles, which are being worked on presently according to Henrik, don't currently include any for killing the presumably innocent.

People aren't playing at being deadly killers solely nor primarily because they get an in-game title for it.

This conflation of 'bad guys and why we need them' (a useful argument in other contexts)
with
' we won't have any murderers unless they get external validation from the game' should stop derailing this tharead.

If you kill frequently, daringly, strategically, massively mercilessly & skillfully enough, people will talk & take note. You will get your reputation & reknown, women will faint at your approach, misbehaving children will be told that you will 'get' them, crowds will scatter when you stagger into town or tavern, guilds will try to recruit you or offer bounties for your head, depending on their views. People will remember your name. They will give you a nickname.

This is how it works in games where everyone can be assumed to be a murderer waiting to happen, where there are no titles for numbers of murders, and where there is no or not much experience to be gained by doing them.​
This is how it will work in Mortal Online 2 if for any reason Star Vault doesn't get around to granting titles for Murder-- but they probably will.​

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Very true, and generally "bad guys" roam in smaller tight nit groups and lives off fighting and being able to win outnumbered.

Sadly when fighting and winning outnumbered dont work then the "bad guys" will roam to another game that allows that way of fighting. SV sadly is totally clueless...