Remove Town Gathering

• Thread starter Deleted member 44
  • Start date

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Did I hit a nerve or something, you don't have to repeat yourself
Maybe I do.
at least before it used to be consistent and fully understood devs wanted extractors running the gank risk while extracting (until they implemented portable grinders and crushers in the town square... then none of it made sense). Now plenty of towns have guard protection but some were left out for no specific reason.
Consistently, in MO1, Presses were left outside of some guard-zones (in Morin Khur, Meduli, Bak-ti, and Moh'ki) and never supplemented with portaables.

You're overthinking this.

And verging (uselessly) into personalia when your errors are pointed out.

Have the floor; we're done.

Reactions: AssassinOTL

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
And verging (uselessly) into personalia when your errors are pointed out.

You spend so much time repeating yourself that you forgot to point out exactly what the error was when i stated that you can get multiple stacks of granum inside city walls in multiple cities and in some of them still process them entirely in the guard zone when referencing node quality (not "rock quality"). But yeah man... whatever floats your boat, people do random ganking in game, you do random posting in threads - whatever makes you tick.

The fact you have to resort to a press on a rock/wood gathering thread really says it all

• Haha
Reactions: Eldrath

Pech

Sep 5, 2021
No. There is no quality system in this game. Only the yield changes. You can AFK gather for hours; periodically going back to your character to bank your rock five feet from your mining location. How do you guys not see this is broken? Let me guess, you're the ones profiting from it.
Have you ever tried hitting a rock inside town? You litterally get a message saying the yield and quality is low.
Mining in towns is possible but you are capped to like 30 ore per hit. it goes down to like 1 after some time though. Only reason people are mining in town is because they can afk do it. But its hardly worth it. You could get more ore in 15 minutes of mining outside of town than 4-5 hours afk in town.

To compare. outside of town i gain 110+ ore per hit. In town i get at max 30ish but usually lower. In some towns you can find rocks inside town that are okay for yields. But even then I hardly ever bother. Why sprint around in meduli for 2-3 stacks when I can just ride my horse to a secluded spot 5 minutes away and come back with 8-9 stacks

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
Have you ever tried hitting a rock inside town? You litterally get a message saying the yield and quality is low.
Mining in towns is possible but you are capped to like 30 ore per hit. it goes down to like 1 after some time though. Only reason people are mining in town is because they can afk do it. But its hardly worth it. You could get more ore in 15 minutes of mining outside of town than 4-5 hours afk in town.

To compare. outside of town i gain 110+ ore per hit. In town i get at max 30ish but usually lower.

Again... multiple towns with multiple nodes where you can get 112 per tick

And honestly should not be even "poor" nodes in town, what kind of city is it that some random plebe draws a pickaxe and starts hammering at the rocks or chopping down trees in the public park and no one says anything?

Reactions: MomoWang
D

Deleted member 44

To compare. outside of town i gain 110+ ore per hit. In town i get at max 30ish but usually lower.
You people seem to not understand what AFK mining means. It means you aren't active at the computer. No shit you can get more rock outside of town but people are literally AFK gathering within a town completely protected. Say for instance your AFK miner gets killed by a griefer, so what, you lose nothing and just make them AFK mine more. You are getting resources for free with zero effort. How do you people not see how this is an issue. People freaked out with AFK fishing macros but AFK mining and wood chopping is a OK.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
Say for instance your AFK miner gets killed by a griefer, so what, you lose nothing and just make them AFK mine more. You are getting resources for free with zero effort.
I think you forgot the part where, if a player is enough of a glutton for punishment to leave an avatar doing something unattended, he loses whatever he doesn't get out of his lootbag after however many minutes the game gives for picking it up-- and then the part about not going back to mining until after a return to the keyboard. He is getting zero resources with zerp effort on that avatar if someone manages to kill it.

If someone manages to push the avatar out of a town's guarded area, there won't be a lootbag, either.

Your argument has gone hyperboiic. Return to earth, please.

Pech

Sep 5, 2021

And honestly should not be even "poor" nodes in town, what kind of city is it that some random plebe draws a pickaxe and starts hammering at the rocks or chopping down trees in the public park and no one says anything?
As I said in my post. the time saved mining 2-3 stacks of ore in towns vs just leaving and mining in bulk is minuscule and no player will realisticly be acquiring all the ore they need from inside towns. Doesnt change that everyone needs calx anyway which is limited to certain spots. Miners dont have an issue with needing to leave towns right now. If anything they are traveling out further than the pvp players just to get calx. I do think the location of these low quality nodes could be tweaked. But I wouldnt call them gamebreaking or at all an issue if players get a bit of sabura and granum inside a town.

sit on a calx node if you wana fight us. Its not very difficult

also the games got magic and teleporting guards. realism isnt really a priority id think.

You people seem to not understand what AFK mining means. It means you aren't active at the computer. No shit you can get more rock outside of town but people are literally AFK gathering within a town completely protected. Say for instance your AFK miner gets killed by a griefer, so what, you lose nothing and just make them AFK mine more. You are getting resources for free with zero effort. How do you people not see how this is an issue. People freaked out with AFK fishing macros but AFK mining and wood chopping is a OK.
Yeah I can afk mine and get 1-2 ore per hit. itll only take me 100 hits to get the same ore id get from just walking to a normal node and hitting it once. Im starting to think you've never actually hit any rocks before. Even "afk" mining requires you to move to a new spot every 5-10 minutes to stay 100% effective.

Last edited:

Tzone

May 16, 2021
As I said in my post. the time saved mining 2-3 stacks of ore in towns vs just leaving and mining in bulk is minuscule and no player will realisticly be acquiring all the ore they need from inside towns. Doesnt change that everyone needs calx anyway which is limited to certain spots. Miners dont have an issue with needing to leave towns right now. If anything they are traveling out further than the pvp players just to get calx. I do think the location of these low quality nodes could be tweaked. But I wouldnt call them gamebreaking or at all an issue if players get a bit of sabura and granum inside a town.

also the games got magic and teleporting guards. realism isnt really a priority id think.

Yeah I can afk mine and get 1-2 ore per hit. itll only take me 100 hits to get the same ore id get from just walking to a normal node and hitting it once. Im starting to think you've never actually hit any rocks before. Even "afk" mining requires you to move to a new spot every 5-10 minutes to stay 100% effective.
You get like 23 per hit and if you AFK it it doesn matter how much you get. You cant do other things while mining.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia

I am spending more time repeating myself than the other guy.... there are not "2-3 stacks of ore in town" there are easily 15-30 in Tindrem and Morin Khur alone and that is not even counting the bad nodes.

Tzone

May 16, 2021

Sssh dont tell anyone about those nodes.

• Haha
Reactions: Raknor

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Yeah when I mine in town I dont get 2 to 3 per tick. You get at least 20ish. Just AFK mine while watching something on your other screen or doing some work. You almost get a stack by the time you finish grinding a stack.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I dont want to keep repeating myself but I will comment here again.

When housing is introduced people are going to be able to do the exact same thing right out side their house.

At times they will also be getting 5 times as much ore and use from their pickaxes.

Also as population increases, more and more new players will be trying to take advantage of those town nodes. So they will be even less productive to mine.

Again, the amount that can be mined there is finite and it is much less productive than other places. Sure people can and will do it (which is ok for town population). But there is only so much that can come from it over a given amount of time. And that amount can be controlled and tweaked by SV.

So, It is a non issue no matter how much can currently be mined since population will change and SV can tweak it as they feel necessary.

At the end of the day not only will it be more productive to mine out of town, it will also be necessary to be able to fill the overall demand for ore.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
I dont want to keep repeating myself but I will comment here again.

When housing is introduced people are going to be able to do the exact same thing right out side their house.

These houses will not have guards. Yes it is safer than nothing but its not completely safe, even further you will then have to move the output to some place where it will actually be useful.

Also as population increases, more and more new players will be trying to take advantage of those town nodes. So they will be even less productive to mine.

This is realm of opinion / theory crafting but I think you overestimate the population numbers of places like Toxai and Hillspeia even at release - there is little reason to live in these places except RP and afk gathering

Again, the amount that can be mined there is finite and it is much less productive than other places. Sure people can and will do it (which is ok for town population). But there is only so much that can come from it over a given amount of time. And that amount can be controlled and tweaked by SV.

So, It is a non issue no matter how much can currently be mined since population will change and SV can tweak it as they feel necessary.

At the end of the day not only will it be more productive to mine out of town, it will also be necessary to be able to fill the overall demand for ore.

It is not a matter of being less productive than mining outside town, it is a matter of being able to produce stacks of gem metal / lupium (catalysts for these are even on the vendor) for no risk while being afk - if you're afk the fact that your time could be more productive in-game is irrelevant since you are being more productive outside of game. These nodes make no world sense, mining and wood chopping in public spaces should just not be an option, I would prefer guard wacking someone trying to chop down a tree in a public garden but to avoid feature creep removing the nodes entirely is a perfectly viable solution.

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
This is realm of opinion / theory crafting but I think you overestimate the population numbers of places like Toxai and Hillspeia even at release - there is little reason to live in these places except RP and afk gathering
@Amadman 's opinion makes more sense, theoretically, than yours does. All the little reassons to live or camp out in towns include Bokers, Vendors, Banks, Appliances, and a little matter of not logging in next to some roaming spawn of aggressive MOBs-- to say nothing of the Guards.

It is possible that both mining and woodchopping will be made impossible in towns (though I doubt it). I guess we'll be counting the days.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
@Amadman 's opinion makes more sense, theoretically, than yours does. All the little reassons to live or camp out in towns include Bokers, Vendors, Banks, Appliances, and a little matter of not logging in next to some roaming spawn of aggressive MOBs-- to say nothing of the Guards.

It is possible that both mining and woodchopping will be made impossible in towns (though I doubt it). I guess we'll be counting the days.

I understand reasons to be in town in general, my comment was specific to Toxai and Hillspeia (although its possible they aren't finished with Hillspeia and it might not be as bad as it is now at release time).

So, how should we feel about picking flowers inside civilised areas, as well?

I personally don't care and no one complained about the Fabernum garden in this thread yet so I don't think its an issue since doing it afk is not as easy as going to a node and leave the toon while gathering - that said wouldn't mind having that moved slightly out of town either.

D

Deleted member 44

Given how many comments are in this thread further high lights how needed this change is.

D

Deleted member 44

Not when so many of them are contesting the suggestion.
That's why town gathering needs to be removed. So many people profiting from. They don't want me to ruin their town hussle.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
What they need is large city populations to make the world not feel so empty and dead. Especially in the huge capital cities.

Forcing players out of the cities will lead to the opposite.

There needs to be many reasons for players to visit and live in these cities.

Enough so that they will be overflowing with people that compete for said resources.

Which would lead to the limited easy to get resources often being depleted.

Last edited: