Please Change "Weak Spot Chance" To Armor Penetration

Would you prefer weakspots or armor penetration?

• I prefer how it is now (randomly generated 100% armor pen)

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • I would prefer it give a flat armor pen amount to every attack

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Undecided/Neutral

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Weak spots are attacks that completely ignore armor. Increased dex, certain weapons, and an Alvarin clade bonus all feed into this. The issue is they're unreliable. Sometimes you can get 2-3 weakspots in a single fight and it may turn the outcome in your favor. Other times you can go multiple fights without a single proc on a weakspot maximized build.

What I suggest is turning weakspot chance into armor penetration rating. Say you have a 5% chance to inflict a weakspot hit. This gets translated into 5% flat armor penetration on every hit.

JGByrne

Feb 8, 2021
Never dabbled too much with weakspots in MO1, so my point of view is not from experience. But from a typical gameplay perspective, since MO is so reliant on player skill, any layer of RNG is something that shouldn't be there; so I I'd agree that a flat rate is always better than relying on pure luck.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I think you should attack actual weakspots on the armor.

Till then a modified diceroll system seems fine to me. I hope that they add more depth to the crafting system at some point because every single change they´ve done so far has made it more shallow.

Blunt damage fills the role of working well against heavier armor. Weakspotting should be it´s own thing.

Reactions: Suttner and bbihah

AlexPloz

Dec 23, 2020
France
Never dabbled too much with weakspots in MO1, so my point of view is not from experience. But from a typical gameplay perspective, since MO is so reliant on player skill, any layer of RNG is something that shouldn't be there; so I I'd agree that a flat rate is always better than relying on pure luck.
agree, still I dont call MO2 skill based

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
They should get rid of RNG altogether. And these weapons don't need a buff at all, they are strong enough or too strong. Speed is enough reward for high dex, in the first place.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
100% support. WS has always been a shitty mechanic and should be reworked to be less rng and gimpy feeling.

Reactions: Finnley

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I think you should attack actual weakspots on the armor.

Till then a modified diceroll system seems fine to me. I hope that they add more depth to the crafting system at some point because every single change they´ve done so far has made it more shallow.

Blunt damage fills the role of working well against heavier armor. Weakspotting should be it´s own thing.

That is a fair point that blunt weapons are already intended to be armor-pen weapons. As amazing as weakspots on armor sounds, I feel like the reason for that not being in may be the technical challenge of having every character represented on the field gain a bunch of smaller hitboxes in addition to what they already have.

If that isn't a problem, then I'm fully in favor of weakspotting being additional armor pen when used on weakspot hitboxes. If that is a limitation, then perhaps something simplified like weakspot being a bonus on attacks made from behind your target.

I just feel the less RNG in a game the better. Any kind of flat bonus is highly superior to a highly randomized one for all sides involved IMO.

MaybeAddicted

Feb 1, 2022
Weak spots are attacks that completely ignore armor. Increased dex, certain weapons, and an Alvarin clade bonus all feed into this. The issue is they're unreliable. Sometimes you can get 2-3 weakspots in a single fight and it may turn the outcome in your favor. Other times you can go multiple fights without a single proc on a weakspot maximized build.

What I suggest is turning weakspot chance into armor penetration rating. Say you have a 5% chance to inflict a weakspot hit. This gets translated into 5% flat armor penetration on every hit.

weak spot is like a critical hit, why you want to change that system? i mean its just ok how it is. the only thing i would change is the damage for each body part. i do not know if a bow get only ws with headshot or body hits too, but i think its a running system. but as i said body parts. for example when you hit the chest and the arrow goes through the armor it could hit your lung, or even your heart. or at least it coudl crack some bones, like rips. so it should be possible. to WS on body with a bow

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
I wouldn't mind buffing the weakspot chance across the board while reducing the armor pen, and maybe make it more determenistic, kinda like path of exile's crit. I love seeing those (Weak Spot) messages. Can't imagine my life without them.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
weak spot is like a critical hit, why you want to change that system? i mean its just ok how it is. the only thing i would change is the damage for each body part. i do not know if a bow get only ws with headshot or body hits too, but i think its a running system. but as i said body parts. for example when you hit the chest and the arrow goes through the armor it could hit your lung, or even your heart. or at least it coudl crack some bones, like rips. so it should be possible. to WS on body with a bow

Because crits are a staple of turn-based and tab-targeted games to keep things interesting in a slower and more predictable combat system. Randomness in a skill-based game is considerably less fun which is why the "crit" of most FPS games is something like headshots instead.

But more importantly, weakspots are too infrequent to base a build around them. Yet they are one of the primary things going for the dex stat right now.

I actually am a WAY bigger fan of enhanced damage from behind instead of armor pen at this point. That actually takes some random skilless system and increases the skill/tactical depth of the game.

Last edited:

Vaith

May 28, 2020
RNG takes away from skill?
This menatality is what transformed WoW mmorpg pvp into a hyper-balanced Esport arena - no thx