Pet AI - Simple Additions for Immersion

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Can we please get more options for Pet AI?

I know the system is a WiP, and I have also made robust posts in the past, but I would like to make a simple post to bring the concept up again.

This is not meant to be a comprehensive list of additions to pet behavior.

Stuff like:
  • Setting a pet to 'Wander', so that it will freely move around and do idle animations in your area.
    • I'm tired of my pets hovering on top of me, or having to stand nearly frozen in place.
  • Setting a pet to 'Graze', so that it will slowly eat if the environment is suitable.
    • Herbivores, for example, may nibble on grass or other flora.
    • Carnivores could be able to access loot bags, and eat volumes of carcass out of them.
      • Setting up camp in an area? Shoot down a Bok and set your Wolf to 'graze'...
I feel such additions and others like it would severely increase players fun and immersion when dealing with pets. Such features would also not harm those players who treat pets solely as PvP tools.

What do you think?

Putzin

Oct 14, 2020
We also need the stances like Passive, Defensive and Aggressive like from MO1

Especially Defensive so when I die my pet isnt a punching bag

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
We also need the stances like Passive, Defensive and Aggressive like from MO1

Especially Defensive so when I die my pet isnt a punching bag
Yes, those are more functional and PvP centric, so I did not include them here. They certainly need to be added, though.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
  • Setting a pet to 'Wander', so that it will freely move around and do idle animations in your area.
    • I'm tired of my pets hovering on top of me, or having to stand nearly frozen in place.
A good suggestion and esepcially if you don't want others immediately spotting you by the behaviour of your Pet as it keeps acting like a bird dog and pointing you out.
  • Setting a pet to 'Graze', so that it will slowly eat if the environment is suitable.
    • Herbivores, for example, may nibble on grass or other flora.
    • Carnivores could be able to access loot bags, and eat volumes of carcass out of them.
      • Setting up camp in an area? Shoot down a Bok and set your Wolf to 'graze'...
I used to wonder why "Graze" went away in the first iteration of the game. I was left with the impression that it was an intended mechanic that for some reason just wouldn't work in MO1. It would be a minor victory for Star Vault if they could manage to put it into MO2.

I like your idea about eating from loot bags, though maybe the whole pet skill would need a new name-- Forage? Fend For Yourself?

Last edited: