Patch 0.0.0.23 - Community Testing Feedback & Suggestions

PatWins

May 28, 2020
I want to start off by giving a little credit to the development team at Star Vault for hearing our prayers. Let's run through some of the amazing changes that were introduced this patch.

Last post, one of our top priorities was to sync up our swing animations with the charge circle and boom, already implemented this patch. This change just makes sense visually and gives you a much better feel/understanding of the damage you will be delivering with a single swing.

Swing cancelling on player collision has been replaced with a minor stamina penalty. Hands down my favorite change so far. The frustration of nearly landing a clean hit on someone only to hear the dreaded "clink" sound followed by dropping your swing is no more! Fights play out far more smoothly and the time to kill has been reduced a fair amount. This weeks group fights were WAY smoother and I feel the rest of the community will attest to that.

Next, we asked for a reduction in movement speed and SV delivered. After listening to a week's worth of feedback the general consensus is that movement speed is now in a great spot. Not so slow that it's sluggish and not so quick that it's hellish.

Some of you may not have used axes and hammers enough to notice but prior to 0.0.0.23, there was no real reason to use them when stacked up against swords. The damage output on maces and axes was much lower purely due to the weapon head hit boxes. With handle hit damage being cut in half, swords quickly became the go to option. After this patch was implemented, I instantly noticed myself wanting to use axes and hammers again. Great job guys!

Finally... Priests! I couldn't be happier to see priests being implemented into new regions of the map. Anything that gets us all fighting in different terrain so we can be bug reporting and testing performance is a win in my book. I was beginning to have terrible nightmares about the Fabernum stable and bridge.

Now all positives aside, let's dive into the future. Below you'll find a list of this patch's feedback and suggestions going forward. These suggestions are listed based on priority.

Patch 0.0.0.23 - Feedback/Suggestions
  1. Blocking, Blocking, Blocking - Sorry to keep pounding this down your throats and I'm sure you're working towards a solution. I simply want to emphasize this point. When thinking from the perspective of the average gamer, I'm positive the game will be criticized heavily if the scenario below occurs. (please see link)
    https://giphy.com/gifs/XfaWclPg32Gd83oJAA

2. With the implementation of 0.0.0.23, we have noticed that recovery time between swings has been reduced. This is actually a great change and has opened the floor to more aggressive play styles. However, players have begun spamming attacks especially with insanely fast one handed weapons and the dreaded war hammer. To combat this we propose that the recovery time between swings is increased ONLY after your attack is parried. If a swing is missed then the recovery time should remain in it's current state.

3. I have collected a large amount of feedback in regard to maximum weapon swing speed. Many players feel that spam is rampant with the war hammer and one handed weapons. I'm assuming this will only become a bigger problem once cronite is introduced. The suggestion here is to cap the maximum swing speed allowed by the game (does not apply to counter attacks).

4. 0.0.0.23 stepped in the right direction with block rotation priority changes. While I'm able to parry a player who circles me a little more effectively, the majority of swings are still blocks or back hits due to movement prediction lag. We feel it would be worth testing increased blocking arcs with each patch until this is in a balanced state.

5. This one is controversial but a test is definitely needed to see how the game plays out for a patch or two. Ballerina spins are the ONLY way to deal damage right now to the best players and it's no secret that new players are almost ALWAYS turned off by these tactics. If we look at reviews for games like Chivalry and Mordhau, there's a massive amount of feedback complaining about "Knight's in plate spinning like ballerinas". Even though I enjoy these types of skill gaps in games, I 100% agree that they will devastate the player base. We need to test a turn speed cap while charging a weapon. I'm open to any other creative ideas to combat this problem but this is all I have been able to come up with thus far.

6. Holding a swing too long and standing in front of your opponent is still a working tactic. Whether or not you actually inflict damage is irrelevant. Right now the player holding the swing has a number of advantages. The stamina penalty for holding a swing is NOTHING compared to how much stamina it takes to refresh your block. I can stam a player out in under a minute just holding a charged swing in their face. Next is block abuse meaning I hold the swing until they either slip up on block refresh timing or they try to run and expose their back to me. Right now, a step in the right direction would be to reduce the damage of a swing 1.00 second after 120% overcharge. The current reduction still takes too long to trigger and the damage penalty is not nearly high enough. I'm thinking handle hit levels of damage.

7. Attack acceleration or "accels" are unavoidable in a melee combat game. Standard counter attacks already require MLG reactions and accels can make attacks nearly impossible to react to. My suggestion to combat this is to implement a sweet spot in our swings. All accels really do is manually force your weapon to hit earlier in the swing. Simply reducing damage for swings that hit too early or too late would be a simple way work against this. The goal for players would be to hit that meaty middle area of your swing for maximum damage. Simultaneously increasing the skill ceiling and balancing accels.

8. Is there any way to cap how slow a high ping players swing speed can be with the current system? People in the 200-400 ping range are currently unable to compete due to how slow their damage inflicts. What if the current delay system capped at 200 ping (for players between 200-400 ping) when it comes to swing speed? Anyone above 400 ping should be instantly disconnected from the game in my opinion. Either that or the current system could continue to punish those players attack speed as it does now. Would love feedback here. Players like Valoran and Casso are at a pretty heavy disadvantage and would love to see them enjoy the game again.

9. This was mentioned in my previous post and is low priority. Equipment hits should deal low-medium damage proportionate to the weight of the weapon delivering the blow. It doesn't make sense to hit someones sword on their back with an 11 kg maul for 0 damage.

10. Between reductions in movement speed and optimization to movement code I have already noticed improvements in position desync. Keep these improvements coming if possible!

11. Animations or audio indicators when your opponent is out of stamina would be a great addition for both veterans and new players.

12. The resurrection timer still doesn't display accurately and currently only serves the purpose of slowing down testing. We would all be eternally grateful for either a reduction or removal of this timer during combat testing.

Weapon Balance Feedback
  • War Hammer - High damage, insanely high speed, unreactable counters for anyone above 100 ping and some of the most minimal stamina drain the game has to offer. This weapon needs a downside.

• 2H Sledgehammer - Feels like the damage may have been slightly nerfed last patch which was a solid change. Only thing I would change here is the stamina drain. I can currently run into an enemy team's back line, devastate the entire team and still have stamina to run out. When you're half hitting players this feels a little imbalanced to say the least.

• 1H Sledgehammer - Damage is comparable to the 2H sledgehammer which doesn't make a ton of sense. Pair that with low stamina drain and ability to use a shield and it's a bit too strong.

• 1H Axes - All 1H axes feel a bit too difficult to use when there are easier/faster option like 1H maces and swords. 1H axes feel like the stubbiest weapons in the game with the most punishing hit boxes. Damage is in a good spot though.

• 1H Swords - Damage is in a good spot but these are far too quick and easy to spam.

• Claymore - This weapon has no real place in MO2. Everything it does well, something else does better. Want range? Use a zweihander. Want speed? Use a katana. Want a balance of both? Use a flamberge. Currently not seeing the purpose here and have never seen a player use one for any reason other than how cool it looks.

Keep up the great work SV! This patch is a testament to what this game can become. Please continue to break the combat and try new things all the way until release. We're building the foundation for a revolutionary title so we need to make sure each brick is laid with care. We all want to thank you for hearing us out and giving this a shot. Looking forward to seeing what the future brings for MO2! Big thank you to @Henrik Nyström @Sebastian Persson and the rest of the team behind the scenes.

D

Dracu

I have to agree with the points Pat raises here and can only add my own to the conversation.

2H Simple Handle Great Axe Blade:
The weapon has recieved a speed boost in this or previous patch making this weapon deal damage like a Zweihaender while beeing way faster. It was in a really good spot before that change, currently it feels way faster then this weapon should be even if it weights more then a zweihaender.

1H Maces:
same as 1h swords, these onehand weapons in generall have an extremly high speed that is a bit to much to ask a new player to cope with.

Feinting:
Feinting doesnt feel like its in a good spot currently together with spins and fast weapons they are a bit much imo. A reasonable alternative would be nice.

Mouse Drag Block:
Also would like to add that blocking with mouse drag currently requires perfect timing to change after swing to block. You can only block after the swing. With normal mouse block you can hold the block in swing animation and it changes instantly to the direction after the swing.

Recharge Time after a swing:
Also i would like to add this Video regarding the recharge time beeing nearly instant since last patch, so there is pretty much no more delay or needing for timing to charge the next swing. One can hold the charge button while swinging and instantly instantly recharge the next swing.

Stamina Regenration bug?

Personal Request:
Slow down counter windup:
We had a change to faster charge up slower swing in an attempt to make reacting to Swings instead of windups more viable.
The change sadly didnt result in this. Its still reacting to windup and its even harder now with accels and faster windup.
On high speed duells its milliseconds deciding and we need those milliseconds back on the windup.

Slow Down combat in generall:
MO2 Combat is hard, it really is. New players need more of a chance. The reaction time required atm is a bit to high. This game needs to be more casual friendly and combat is a part of it.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I want to start off by giving a little credit to the development team at Star Vault for hearing our prayers. Let's run through some of the amazing changes that were introduced this patch.

Last post, one of our top priorities was to sync up our swing animations with the charge circle and boom, already implemented this patch. This change just makes sense visually and gives you a much better feel/understanding of the damage you will be delivering with a single swing.

Swing cancelling on player collision has been replaced with a minor stamina penalty. Hands down my favorite change so far. The frustration of nearly landing a clean hit on someone only to hear the dreaded "clink" sound followed by dropping your swing is no more! Fights play out far more smoothly and the time to kill has been reduced a fair amount. This weeks group fights were WAY smoother and I feel the rest of the community will attest to that.

Next, we asked for a reduction in movement speed and SV delivered. After listening to a week's worth of feedback the general consensus is that movement speed is now in a great spot. Not so slow that it's sluggish and not so quick that it's hellish.

Some of you may not have used axes and hammers enough to notice but prior to 0.0.0.23, there was no real reason to use them when stacked up against swords. The damage output on maces and axes was much lower purely due to the weapon head hit boxes. With handle hit damage being cut in half, swords quickly became the go to option. After this patch was implemented, I instantly noticed myself wanting to use axes and hammers again. Great job guys!

Finally... Priests! I couldn't be happier to see priests being implemented into new regions of the map. Anything that gets us all fighting in different terrain so we can be bug reporting and testing performance is a win in my book. I was beginning to have terrible nightmares about the Fabernum stable and bridge.

Now all positives aside, let's dive into the future. Below you'll find a list of this patch's feedback and suggestions going forward. These suggestions are listed based on priority.

Patch 0.0.0.23 - Feedback/Suggestions
  1. Blocking, Blocking, Blocking - Sorry to keep pounding this down your throats and I'm sure you're working towards a solution. I simply want to emphasize this point. When thinking from the perspective of the average gamer, I'm positive the game will be criticized heavily if the scenario below occurs. (please see link)
    https://giphy.com/gifs/XfaWclPg32Gd83oJAA

2. With the implementation of 0.0.0.23, we have noticed that recovery time between swings has been reduced. This is actually a great change and has opened the floor to more aggressive play styles. However, players have begun spamming attacks especially with insanely fast one handed weapons and the dreaded war hammer. To combat this we propose that the recovery time between swings is increased ONLY after your attack is parried. If a swing is missed then the recovery time should remain in it's current state.

3. I have collected a large amount of feedback in regard to maximum weapon swing speed. Many players feel that spam is rampant with the war hammer and one handed weapons. I'm assuming this will only become a bigger problem once cronite is introduced. The suggestion here is to cap the maximum swing speed allowed by the game (does not apply to counter attacks).

4. 0.0.0.23 stepped in the right direction with block rotation priority changes. While I'm able to parry a player who circles me a little more effectively, the majority of swings are still blocks or back hits due to movement prediction lag. We feel it would be worth testing increased blocking arcs with each patch until this is in a balanced state.

5. This one is controversial but a test is definitely needed to see how the game plays out for a patch or two. Ballerina spins are the ONLY way to deal damage right now to the best players and it's no secret that new players are almost ALWAYS turned off by these tactics. If we look at reviews for games like Chivalry and Mordhau, there's a massive amount of feedback complaining about "Knight's in plate spinning like ballerinas". Even though I enjoy these types of skill gaps in games, I 100% agree that they will devastate the player base. We need to test a turn speed cap while charging a weapon. I'm open to any other creative ideas to combat this problem but this is all I have been able to come up with thus far.

6. Holding a swing too long and standing in front of your opponent is still a working tactic. Whether or not you actually inflict damage is irrelevant. Right now the player holding the swing has a number of advantages. The stamina penalty for holding a swing is NOTHING compared to how much stamina it takes to refresh your block. I can stam a player out in under a minute just holding a charged swing in their face. Next is block abuse meaning I hold the swing until they either slip up on block refresh timing or they try to run and expose their back to me. Right now, a step in the right direction would be to reduce the damage of a swing 1.00 second after 120% overcharge. The current reduction still takes too long to trigger and the damage penalty is not nearly high enough. I'm thinking handle hit levels of damage.

7. Attack acceleration or "accels" are unavoidable in a melee combat game. Standard counter attacks already require MLG reactions and accels can make attacks nearly impossible to react to. My suggestion to combat this is to implement a sweet spot in our swings. All accels really do is manually force your weapon to hit earlier in the swing. Simply reducing damage for swings that hit too early or too late would be a simple way work against this. The goal for players would be to hit that meaty middle area of your swing for maximum damage. Simultaneously increasing the skill ceiling and balancing accels.

8. Is there any way to cap how slow a high ping players swing speed can be with the current system? People in the 200-400 ping range are currently unable to compete due to how slow their damage inflicts. What if the current delay system capped at 200 ping (for players between 200-400 ping) when it comes to swing speed? Anyone above 400 ping should be instantly disconnected from the game in my opinion. Either that or the current system could continue to punish those players attack speed as it does now. Would love feedback here. Players like Valoran and Casso are at a pretty heavy disadvantage and would love to see them enjoy the game again.

9. This was mentioned in my previous post and is low priority. Equipment hits should deal low-medium damage proportionate to the weight of the weapon delivering the blow. It doesn't make sense to hit someones sword on their back with an 11 kg maul for 0 damage.

10. Between reductions in movement speed and optimization to movement code I have already noticed improvements in position desync. Keep these improvements coming if possible!

11. Animations or audio indicators when your opponent is out of stamina would be a great addition for both veterans and new players.

12. The resurrection timer still doesn't display accurately and currently only serves the purpose of slowing down testing. We would all be eternally grateful for either a reduction or removal of this timer during combat testing.
Agreed but with strong exception to number 5 and 7.

Number 5, its already the only way to deal damage like you said. Currently someone can swing at you and reparry while still in the swing animation and releasing your swing as early as possible. Literally nothing you can do. Don't like to see major nerfs to aggressive play style but with no counter balance on someone who just seems to have that edge at parrying while swinging. Super ugly and frustrating animation wise. Not to mention the absolutely devastating effect it will have on the signature MO move the stickyback in team fights.

7. Above technically not the only way to deal damage, but if you nerf these 2 that will almost be all of it. At that point you won't be able to deal damage to anyone. I think you might be missing some of the picture because you're someone who doesn't make mistakes at all when parrying but there needs to be more to the skill of the game than that. Specifically raw aim, flicks, camera control, positioning. I feel its slowly becoming how well can you parry online or is your ping below 50 online with these two changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steinerr
D

Dracu

Number 5, its already the only way to deal damage like you said. Currently someone can swing at you and reparry while still in the swing animation and releasing your swing as early as possible. Literally nothing you can do. Don't like to see major nerfs to aggressive play style but with no counter balance on someone who just seems to have that edge at parrying while swinging. Super ugly and frustrating animation wise.

7. Above technically not the only way to deal damage, but if you nerf these 2 that will almost be all of it. At that point you won't be able to deal damage to anyone. I think you might be missing some of the picture because you're someone who doesn't make mistakes at all when parrying but there needs to be more to the skill of the game than that. Specifically raw aim, flicks, camera control, positioning. I feel its slowly becoming how well can you parry online or is your ping below 50 online with these two changes.
i would rather see a counter to parrys here, like a kick in gloria victis where you could stagger somebody. Ofc what it would be has to be discussed and tested but currently there is not counter to blocking besides abusing bugs.

• Love
Reactions: Steinerr

Valoran

May 28, 2020
I'm loving most of it, except for a few things.

I am torn on the new circle reaching 100% in sync with the wind up animation. On one hand it does look nice, and the wind up is when most players release their swings anyway, but it makes it less obvious that you are still gaining damage while holding past 100%. I would like to see some visual form of overcharge in the circle, possibly in the form of a red overlap showing the overcharge damage progress.

The flash is pretty ambiguous and to a new player could easily be interpreted as "Oh it's telling me to release my swing because i've been holding it for a while" and ideally new players should not have to be told anything to efficiently use the UI.

Regarding point 2, I don't believe the current recovery time is good, as it is literally clipping the animation it's so fast. The game has enough light weapon spamming as is.

I still believe equipment hits should deal stamina damage in proportion to the blunt force and weight of the attacking weapon.

I've also just had an idea. Why is the bulk of stamina drain from attacking not coming from actually swinging the weapon? It costs a chunk of stamina to begin charging, then a steady cost while holding, but zero cost while actually swinging the weapon.

What if it costed nothing to begin charging, maintained the steady drain while holding the charge, but the chunk of stamina was drained when the swing is actually released?

I might make my own thread about that.

Reactions: Zbuciorn and Dracu

PatWins

May 28, 2020
I've also just had an idea. Why is the bulk of stamina drain from attacking not coming from actually swinging the weapon? It costs a chunk of stamina to begin charging, then a steady cost while holding, but zero cost while actually swinging the weapon.

What if it costed nothing to begin charging, maintained the steady drain while holding the charge, but the chunk of stamina was drained when the swing is actually released?

I might make my own thread about that.

I love this idea actually. I've been thinking about it for a while as well. Currently all stam drain comes from the defender. Unless you're swinging the Mallet, there's not a weapon out there than drains your stamina enough to matter. It would make a ton of sense for stam drain to continue while holding a swing. This would further reduce the desire to stand around with a weapon charged up. I believe feinting/swing cancelling should drain a bit of stam as well.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

PatWins

May 28, 2020

Number 5, its already the only way to deal damage like you said. Currently someone can swing at you and reparry while still in the swing animation and releasing your swing as early as possible. Literally nothing you can do. Don't like to see major nerfs to aggressive play style but with no counter balance on someone who just seems to have that edge at parrying while swinging. Super ugly and frustrating animation wise. Not to mention the absolutely devastating effect it will have on the signature MO move the stickyback in team fights.
Yeah this is why I think it needs to be tested at least. I share the same concern about sticky backing in teamfights as well. Values can always be adjusted and different systems can be introduced to negate this. Just trying to open up the floor to ideas regarding this issue.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Looks pretty good.

I think I´d prefer a method to overcome parries that doesn´t rely on clown spins. Having the parry timer run out and receiving [Blocked] damage wouldn´t be the worst thing to keep in the game. It would certainly help with players turteling in teamfights. I guess we could have a circle for the parrywindow as well? For the noobs? And me? ;)

Is it intented that 1h weapons take the same amount of stamine with and without a shield? If so I hope there will be moves we can do with only a 1h weapon.

Personally I would like to see brawling have a role as well in overcoming parries. "Wrestling" someone and putting a dagger in their eye was a tactic many used against plate armor users. Maybe [Arm] damage could rely on brawling skill?

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Looks pretty good.

I think I´d prefer a method to overcome parries that doesn´t rely on clown spins. Having the parry timer run out and receiving [Blocked] damage wouldn´t be the worst thing to keep in the game. It would certainly help with players turteling in teamfights. I guess we could have a circle for the parrywindow as well? For the noobs? And me? ;)

Is it intented that 1h weapons take the same amount of stamine with and without a shield? If so I hope there will be moves we can do with only a 1h weapon.

Personally I would like to see brawling have a role as well in overcoming parries. "Wrestling" someone and putting a dagger in their eye was a tactic many used against plate armor users. Maybe [Arm] damage could rely on brawling skill?

Great idea about a parry window indicator! /sign

Reactions: Dracu

Livingshade

Jul 4, 2020
this is absolutely 100% not TRUE MATE the 1h SWORD is so FAST and ok DAMAGE but its range is such DOGSHIT compared to zweihander or the warhammer and the 1h hammer is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the stam of the 2h sledge. ANIMATION OR SOUND FOR OUT OF STAM IS COMPLETELY WRONG. INCREASING BACK BLOCK ALSO JUST WRONG, if u want people not to hit u in the back then we need 360 block but that was removed because we do not want to play PARRY WHORE online

Livingshade

Jul 4, 2020
I have to agree with the points Pat raises here and can only add my own to the conversation.

2H Simple Handle Great Axe Blade:
The weapon has recieved a speed boost in this or previous patch making this weapon deal damage like a Zweihaender while beeing way faster. It was in a really good spot before that change, currently it feels way faster then this weapon should be even if it weights more then a zweihaender.

1H Maces:
same as 1h swords, these onehand weapons in generall have an extremly high speed that is a bit to much to ask a new player to cope with.

Feinting:
Feinting doesnt feel like its in a good spot currently together with spins and fast weapons they are a bit much imo. A reasonable alternative would be nice.

Mouse Drag Block:
Also would like to add that blocking with mouse drag currently requires perfect timing to change after swing to block. You can only block after the swing. With normal mouse block you can hold the block in swing animation and it changes instantly to the direction after the swing.

Recharge Time after a swing:
Also i would like to add this Video regarding the recharge time beeing nearly instant since last patch, so there is pretty much no more delay or needing for timing to charge the next swing. One can hold the charge button while swinging and instantly instantly recharge the next swing.

Stamina Regenration bug?

Personal Request:
Slow down counter windup:
We had a change to faster charge up slower swing in an attempt to make reacting to Swings instead of windups more viable.
The change sadly didnt result in this. Its still reacting to windup and its even harder now with accels and faster windup.
On high speed duells its milliseconds deciding and we need those milliseconds back on the windup.

Slow Down combat in generall:
MO2 Combat is hard, it really is. New players need more of a chance. The reaction time required atm is a bit to high. This game needs to be more casual friendly and combat is a part of it.
XD MO combat is "hard" he says. OF COURSE IS HARD MATE GAME IS IN ALPHA, once magic and pets come out new players can definitely stand a chance, to make the game SLOWER when ONLY melee is here is absolute boongie

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
XD MO combat is "hard" he says. OF COURSE IS HARD MATE GAME IS IN ALPHA, once magic and pets come out new players can definitely stand a chance, to make the game SLOWER when ONLY melee is here is absolute boongie

I think it´s fair to slow down combat in general a little. According to SV AI will follow the same rules as players, so a deathknight might have stamina.
With slower movement speed it gives players with less awareness a better chance to react. I get that MO2s combat needs to be skillful to a degree, but allowing non-twitchy players to play a role in combat should be a goal as well. It´s all about balancing those extremes.

• Love
Reactions: Zbuciorn and Dracu

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Nice suggestions, agreed on most of them.

For number 2 Im not sure if the change was intended or its a bug, but something similar was in MO1, only not as op. They should rework this into a better feature IMO, right now it feels broken. Maybe have a small window at the end of the animation where if you click you can combo into another swing, like in mordhau. Would give more tools to aggresive playstyles, but make it skill based and require good timing.

Idk about number 5, if you go too hard it could really fuck the combat up, especially in big chaotic fights. I dont think doing a 360 in a duel is that bad, but stuff like this
Ultimate_kekkery.gif

should be capped, got no problem with that lol

Livingshade

Jul 4, 2020
I think it´s fair to slow down combat in general a little. According to SV AI will follow the same rules as players, so a deathknight might have stamina.
With slower movement speed it gives players with less awareness a better chance to react. I get that MO2s combat needs to be skillful to a degree, but allowing non-twitchy players to play a role in combat should be a goal as well. It´s all about balancing those extremes.
not true

Rhias

May 28, 2020
So far people mainly talked about weapons and balance. But what else did we get from this patch?
... Right, a new bug where your weapon gets stuck and you can't anymore attack, block or deequip. It seems like only relogging or dying solves it. :(
And that's only on top of the bug that already existed where your swings got instantly canceled, and you could solve it by blocking and pushing.

I hope these things will be solved before persistent world or I can foresee a lot of people rage quitting and giving bad reviews.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
  1. This one is controversial but a test is definitely needed to see how the game plays out for a patch or two. Ballerina spins are the ONLY way to deal damage right now to the best players and it's no secret that new players are almost ALWAYS turned off by these tactics. If we look at reviews for games like Chivalry and Mordhau, there's a massive amount of feedback complaining about "Knight's in plate spinning like ballerinas". Even though I enjoy these types of skill gaps in games, I 100% agree that they will devastate the player base. We need to test a turn speed cap while charging a weapon. I'm open to any other creative ideas to combat this problem but this is all I have been able to come up with thus far.

[/QUOTE]
Here is my creative Idea: Add some more styles of combat in the game. Right now i see you talk about a "Ballerina Spin" to overcome the "Best players" I'm actually happy about that, at least a Ballerina Spin is 1 new thing to melee combat we never had in Mo1. But my suggestion is to add even more skills and ways of attacking. Make Triple Strike and Double Strike be usable with more weapon types, a Shield Bash, Tripping Strike, Low Strike, Low Blow, Add a Duel Wielded double attack, and a 2h Spin or something. That way player combat isn't just Run and attack and Parry and counter attack. It comes as no surprise that the "Ballerina Spin" catches most players off guard. As it is something new we didn't see in Mo1. I always thought if the game had more skills to use then the game would be about more then just Parry Camping and Run attacking. And now i see i was right. In regards to turning off the player base to the game in general, almost every video i ever seen of a Mortal Online1 review the first video the Youtuber always said "Omg guys the Combat in this game is so Clunky" Add more combat styles Star Vault more fighting skills to use in Melee combat!

Herius

Administrator
May 28, 2020
This was mentioned in my previous post and is low priority. Equipment hits should deal low-medium damage proportionate to the weight of the weapon delivering the blow. It doesn't make sense to hit someones sword on their back with an 11 kg maul for 0 damage.

That ONLY happens when you hit the weapon and the trace does not hit the player mesh.
I don't see why this would hurt the player?

Weapon Balance Feedback
  • War Hammer - High damage, insanely high speed, unreactable counters for anyone above 100 ping and some of the most minimal stamina drain the game has to offer. This weapon needs a downside.

• 2H Sledgehammer - Feels like the damage may have been slightly nerfed last patch which was a solid change. Only thing I would change here is the stamina drain. I can currently run into an enemy team's back line, devastate the entire team and still have stamina to run out. When you're half hitting players this feels a little imbalanced to say the least.

• 1H Sledgehammer - Damage is comparable to the 2H sledgehammer which doesn't make a ton of sense. Pair that with low stamina drain and ability to use a shield and it's a bit too strong.

• 1H Axes - All 1H axes feel a bit too difficult to use when there are easier/faster option like 1H maces and swords. 1H axes feel like the stubbiest weapons in the game with the most punishing hit boxes. Damage is in a good spot though.

• 1H Swords - Damage is in a good spot but these are far too quick and easy to spam.

• Claymore - This weapon has no real place in MO2. Everything it does well, something else does better. Want range? Use a zweihander. Want speed? Use a katana. Want a balance of both? Use a flamberge. Currently not seeing the purpose here and have never seen a player use one for any reason other than how cool it looks.
Talking about weapon balance right now is way to early.
We have a few pre-made weapons and armors, copied from MO1, using these to try and achieve any type of new long term balance is not viable.
Most of these points above are examples of weapons which in MO1 has a good place in the system, and are being used without being "the only choice" or a preferred meta.
The dynamic of combat will be very different when all weapon/armor types and materials are available in crafting.

D

Dracu

That ONLY happens when you hit the weapon and the trace does not hit the player mesh.
I don't see why this would hurt the player?

Talking about weapon balance right now is way to early.
We have a few pre-made weapons and armors, copied from MO1, using these to try and achieve any type of new long term balance is not viable.
Most of these points above are examples of weapons which in MO1 has a good place in the system, and are being used without being "the only choice" or a preferred meta.
The dynamic of combat will be very different when all weapon/armor types and materials are available in crafting.
Doesnt equipment happen on shoulder hits too?

Good input, are there any plans on us testing real weapon stats? Cause i think a good amount of players are unhappy with specific fast weapons atm and fear that even faster weapons will get into the game that might break the combat system we have atm more.