Neutral zones

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
The game currently has 2 pvp cities Kranesh and Gaul kor, and has 8 pve cities under protection of crime tracking lictors.

I propose that 6 of safe cities are converted to neutral. Neutral cities will perform like cities prior to lictors and other guard additions.

This will give a more reasonable balance that will open up more play styles. 2/6/2 with each of the extremes with their limited function equal and distinct. What cities you pick can be used to drive populations where you want them, but hopefully in a way that encourages players to play in new and exciting ways. These should also be color coded in the haven menu. I would suggest yellow for neutral and blue for pve.

I hope this will bring player guards, and thieves back into the game which we have not seen since the introduction of lictors.

For neutral towns I suggest a crime timer extension in between 10-20 minutes. These towns are naturally going to have more crime, but I want it to be in a way that enhances the experience for everyone. The extended crime timer adds value to not only surviving and escaping guards, but also gives value in gathering some friends to go hunt down the criminal. This also addresses subversion as rerolls have zero effect on the ruleset, and even if they did suicide/redpriest they are still on time out thanks to travel time which makes the chase, escape, or fight more valuable.

I think these changes would create a better experience for everyone and eliminate the binary expectations everyone has of pve and pvp. It essentially gives everyone a way to play, puts a lot of the sand that was taken out of the box back in, and gives a middle ground that can easily be played under by all parties.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Once they add wilderness areas(already planned) where you can not report people for murder they might as well add a long criminal timer to limit going from a wilderness zone, attacking blue targets and then running back to the safety of cities in short order.

No need for this idea with that.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
How does pvp zones in the wilderness address anything I mentioned?
If players build a town in the new lawless areas then they can choose how much or little law they want the town to have.

If SV does it well then it will give players more freedom to set things up the way they want.

Reactions: Gorr

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
So you want 6 more barren cities... sounds like a reasonable suggestion 🙄
I don't believe that would be the outcome. I think many rpers, pvpers, and a lot of normal players that want a more realistic world would prefer a rule set like the one I mentioned. For the sake of argument lets pretend that the pve cities would be where everyone wanted to live in this case the resource drain would cause smart players to move the same way only fools farm safe zones in Albion.

Reactions: Haxanmancer

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I don't believe that would be the outcome. I think many rpers, pvpers, and a lot of normal players that want a more realistic world would prefer a rule set like the one I mentioned. For the sake of argument lets pretend that the pve cities would be where everyone wanted to live in this case the resource drain would cause smart players to move the same way only fools farm safe zones in Albion.
Nobody really cares what you “think” the outcome would be.anyone can see already what happens. There are 2 lawless cities in the game already, and they are locked down by pvp guilds that kill anyone that enters. The same would happen to all the other cities.

As a matter of fact, back in MO 1, when they implemented the territory control feature of taking over a city and turning guards off, thats exactly what the RPK guilds did to Moh Ki and Vadda. They then proceeded to kill anyone that wasn't part of their guild or allies. Those cities became ghost towns overnight.

Im sorry to say that your ides is just not a good one.

Last edited:

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
In testing this was the rule set outside the lawless 2. Despite legion claiming vadda there was nothing to stop players from playing there it was made pve with many other cites and they left the game. Sorry it doesn't fit your hyperbole, but that isn't how things played out in this game. Despite my comments not fitting your narratives and while I certainly don't plan to rp virtue signal with the rest of you there is no reason not to be civil. No need to try to gatekeep as shallow as the attempts are.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
It doesnt matter that “there is nothing stopping people from playing there”. People dont feel safe in an unguarded town so they go where its safe. Vadda did become a dead town after the guards were turned off, so its not hyperbole. Its just what happened. And its what happens to all unguarded towns. There is no thriving red town, never was.

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
@Jackdstripper m8 you are the only one talking about unguarded towns, the scenarios you bring up from part one never existed there in this game. You could at least read the post before spewing nonsense. You are arguing against a point that only you are making. No one else has presented your straw man. My suggestion is for limiting lictors to two towns, pulling back on the oppressive guard numbers increases, and increasing crime time all to add more game play avenues. So while you frantically try to make this game a dead as the first some of us are trying to suggest reasonable, and fun new experiences for everyone.

Last edited:

Matze88

Nov 3, 2022
Fun for who ?

I mean cmon man you can allrdy now see that the more protection the town has the more alive the town is.

You could hang arround in lawless towns if you wanna pk people in towns. Why you don’t do that ? Could it be that those towns are not very alive ? Interesting. So your solution is to force people into unsave city’s because the save ones are overpopulated ?

Last edited:

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
Less guards would mean less people living in these cities. You need a safe place to mine or chop down trees since you are completely helpless while doing it. If someone decides to attack, your character needs to put the pickaxe away and draw a sword ( mages dont need to worry, since they are probably already dead at this point) to have a chance to fight back with half health. And this happens right next to guarded towns with no guard interference at all. Why would you want to make banditry even easier? All you have to do right now is go grey some distance away from a miner, kill him, loot him and ride off to the next town. No skill required on your part and another player just lost 30mins of farming.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
@Jackdstripper m8 you are the only one talking about unguarded towns, the scenarios you bring up from part one never existed there in this game. You could at least read the post before spewing nonsense. You are arguing against a point that only you are making. No one else has presented your straw man. My suggestion is for limiting lictors to two towns, pulling back on the oppressive guard numbers increases, and increasing crime time all to add more game play avenues. So while you frantically try to make this game a dead as the first some of us are trying to suggest reasonable, and fun new experiences for everyone.
I red your post and i am arguing that the less safe the town is the more empty it gets. Your semi-protected towns will be semi-empty, and the only thriving towns will be the 2 left with lictors.

You seem to think that people enjoy the freedom to gank and being ganked in town, and im providing you with concrete evidence that it is not the case for the majority of people. The majority of people prefers a safe town.

Player guards dont work because you have to stand around waiting for a crime and then risk your gear for absolutely no reward. if you are a true guard you will give the victim his loot back, and gankers wont have much. If you dont give the loot back you are just one other ganker. Nobody stands around all day to do that.

Reactions: Matze88 and Rahz

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
Fun for who ?

I mean cmon man you can allrdy now see that the more protection the town has the more alive the town is.

You could hang arround in lawless towns if you wanna pk people in towns. Why you don’t do that ? Could it be that those towns are not very alive ? Interesting. So your solution is to force people into unsave city’s because the save ones are overpopulated ?

Apart from when there was the huge 14 streamer advertising push and everyone went to go get disappointed in 14 instead of mo2 for few months the game feels more dead than it did. Despite what the steam charts say there doesn't seem to be more people playing. In testing mk had AC, the french guild, the catch all noob guild, the au guild, countless small guilds, and medudu was constantly trolled by legion and koto. Sure I see a few people, but all of them together is less than I would see in the catch all noob guild or koto alone not even counting the other guilds. So if you compare it to when people were playing other games you could make that argument, but it was just as popular with the other ruleset, and I argue a much better experience for the community with a more consistent interaction rate. If that was to much for a player the option to play in a safe zone would still be there in this plan, but the option to be a rp guard, to rp a cut throat, to get decent engagement times, or to live in a world that feels more realistic doesn't exist right now.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I red your post and i am arguing that the less safe the town is the more empty it gets. Your semi-protected towns will be semi-empty, and the only thriving towns will be the 2 left with lictors.

You seem to think that people enjoy the freedom to gank and being ganked in town, and im providing you with concrete evidence that it is not the case for the majority of people. The majority of people prefers a safe town.

Player guards dont work because you have to stand around waiting for a crime and then risk your gear for absolutely no reward. if you are a true guard you will give the victim his loot back, and gankers wont have much. If you dont give the loot back you are just one other ganker. Nobody stands around all day to do that.
Yeah because nobody lived in Bakti, Fab, Vadda, Moh Ki, etc. in MO1....

If they created a city with a pvp switch you bet its gonna be the most populated one, but this game is supposed to be a hardcore sandbox with danger and no safezones. If people cant play in a city without their safe lictor spaces maybe they will like WoW better.

The player guard aka militia reward is pvp. Its 2023 they get pinged each time theres a fight

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Once they add wilderness areas(already planned) where you can not report people for murder they might as well add a long criminal timer to limit going from a wilderness zone, attacking blue targets and then running back to the safety of cities in short order.

No need for this idea with that.
They suggested this idea near the end of MO1. Herius made a poll on the forums and wanted feedback. Its actually impressive they managed to keep a shitty flagging system when they had the opportunity to build a new game.

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
You seem to forget that there will always be players that if cities would be anything like you suggested it would not be content but a pain 100%. There will be ppl running around there with just a bow harass you in cities like that non stop with no risk at all 24/7....

So many games have proven that something like suggested here will never work as there is just too many ppl that just love to grief and harass for no gain or reason just for the sake of it.

That leads you to a point where you need the sandbox to have rules that make it fun also... Gladly SV seems to know this and tho way too late on their road map for me they will hopefully will lean more towards what eve or even albion has with their security zones and this will add content for all, not just making cities worthless like suggested here and sorry there no benefit for anyone with a change like discussed here.

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
You seem to forget that there will always be players that if cities would be anything like you suggested it would not be content but a pain 100%. There will be ppl running around there with just a bow harass you in cities like that non stop with no risk at all 24/7....

So many games have proven that something like suggested here will never work as there is just too many ppl that just love to grief and harass for no gain or reason just for the sake of it.

That leads you to a point where you need the sandbox to have rules that make it fun also... Gladly SV seems to know this and tho way too late on their road map for me they will hopefully will lean more towards what eve or even albion has with their security zones and this will add content for all, not just making cities worthless like suggested here and sorry there no benefit for anyone with a change like discussed here.
You obviously didn't even read post. I suggested the risk with the timers it was half post lol, and if a town doesn't have lictors you think they are worthless. Listen man If you want to roleplay that you are playing a risk vs reward game fine, but some of us actually do want to play it. Most of the world is haven mode and the other 20% is get priest camped. Which fits hi value locations like gk,jc, and cc, but If you only have 40 min to play getting priest camped, traveling 20 of it, or even calling in your m8s because of travel time is a no go. Do you really feel like 80 percent of the cities being haven is needed or even healthy when comes to introducing new game play elements to new players? The obvious answer is of course not because your fear is why you want to live in a haven in he first place.

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
You obviously didn't even read post. I suggested the risk with the timers it was half post lol, and if a town doesn't have lictors you think they are worthless. Listen man If you want to roleplay that you are playing a risk vs reward game fine, but some of us actually do want to play it. Most of the world is haven mode and the other 20% is get priest camped. Which fits hi value locations like gk,jc, and cc, but If you only have 40 min to play getting priest camped, traveling 20 of it, or even calling in your m8s because of travel time is a no go. Do you really feel like 80 percent of the cities being haven is needed or even healthy when comes to introducing new game play elements to new players? The obvious answer is of course not because your fear is why you want to live in a haven in he first place.
i did but a city is not what should be a danger zone in the first place when it's part of the nation stuff coming, there should be areas that are lawless with stuff that you want to go there and there could be such cities.

you just don't understand what would happen around a city with your silly longer crim timer that would do nothing, placeable houses and what not...what you suggest is just not fun but full of flaws and all that would happen is harassment and griefing until it's an empty town...i played way to many full loot sandbox games to know how stuff like this plays out and prefer sandboxes with full loot and a decent ruleset which mortal has yet to get. in the end no point in arguing with you about it as you seem so happy with that ^^

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
The problem with "crime" is that it always means murder. Thievery is not yet in the game and when it comes out it will make every city "less safe". The problem i see with "neutral zones" is that the economy of this game would be totally screwed. It is already very, very hard to justify doing anything but griefing around town for gold, since it is the easiest, most viable method of doing so. Taming? You`ll get ganked from behind, mining? you`ll get ganked from behind? fishing? You`ll get ganked from behind. Therefore i think these "neutral towns" would just push 80% of the playerbase to two cities while the rest of the map would be some kind of deathmatch for a few players with somehow unending ressources. Look at the lawless towns " Oh no i get spawncamped!" Yeah you're together with the other people who "only want to do PvP-fights." Great fun, isn't it? I am also very much against player guards. Who would wanna do this? Guard duty is totally boring irl and would be no different here. (edit for grammar since english isn't my first language)

Last edited: