Murder count/flagging system

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
So SV spend 15 years coming up with the current system, while MANY other systems have been proposed.

Somehow you think they will change the current system for something better? I think that´s naive.

They've been evolving the system since they started the game...though a slow evolution. MO2 has a chance to have a better system; I think they had the right idea of using reputation, but if you've read the rest of the posts I think having the old system underneath the reputation is a bad system...mostly because I think the old system was bad.

Personally I would like them to remove standings and flags and have guards only attack if there is actual crimes happening. It´s a simple and elegant system and standing can be used for a other purposes.

I wouldn't be opposed to this either. It is kind of funny to have you criticize the fact that I brought up a potential system change and you do the same thing in the same post.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
They've been evolving the system since they started the game...though a slow evolution. MO2 has a chance to have a better system; I think they had the right idea of using reputation, but if you've read the rest of the posts I think having the old system underneath the reputation is a bad system...mostly because I think the old system was bad.

I wouldn't be opposed to this either. It is kind of funny to have you criticize the fact that I brought up a potential system change and you do the same thing in the same post.

Yeah, I guess you are right.

I´m proposing removing one system (flagging: red blue grey) and repurposing another (standing).

What I meant to say is hoping for SV to come up and improve the system (make it more logical, less exploitable etc.) is futile. It takes a lot of work for not a lot of gain. Removing the system and putting responsibility in the hands of players on the other hand could be done quickly. I assume.

Then again in MO1 the flagging was heavily intertwined with all other system which is why they couldn´t change it (according to Seb). I hope they haven´t repeated the same mistake and can still abort this travesty.

Reactions: Bernfred and Kelzyr

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Yeah, I guess you are right.

I´m proposing removing one system (flagging: red blue grey) and repurposing another (standing).

What I meant to say is hoping for SV to come up and improve the system (make it more logical, less exploitable etc.) is futile. It takes a lot of work for not a lot of gain. Removing the system and putting responsibility in the hands of players on the other hand could be done quickly. I assume.

Then again in MO1 the flagging was heavily intertwined with all other system which is why they couldn´t change it (according to Seb). I hope they haven´t repeated the same mistake and can still abort this travesty.
exactly, remove the MC system that hinders the sandbox in MULTIPLE negative ways without improvement for the weaks and extend the reputation system AND upgrade blue towns with more guards and/or let players upgrade NPC (blue) towns too.

Last edited:
Reactions: MolagAmur

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
on a side note, aren't guards now quite useless? you can outrun them pretty easily and don't do much damage.

the old lictors were 2-shotting people in Tindrem

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I think elite guards and lictors being strong is fine, but having a bunch of weaker guards is good as well.

Teaching players to completely rely on guards is a bad road to go down if you have everyone being combat capable.
Very true.

Magestica

Mar 1, 2021
So SV spend 15 years coming up with the current system, while MANY other systems have been proposed.

Somehow you think they will change the current system for something better? I think that´s naive.

Personally I would like them to remove standings and flags and have guards only attack if there is actual crimes happening. It´s a simple and elegant system and standing can be used for a other purposes.
This makes sense - plus what might happen is that you lose your stuff after the guards kill you. Effectively your naked and have to re build your gear, this would work as a necessary incentive not to pvp in a city or town. Lesser towns have lesser numbers of guards where pvp reaction might take more time for the guards to react, or even defeat the guards. If the guards take 20 mins to respawn then there will be times where there are no guards to react and pvp is acceptable or even planned for. I think a bounty system would be good where a player can put a bounty on another player, kill the player to receive the bounty.