Mortal Online 2 Refuses to Start for 2 days now! At a complete loss :(

Vim

Aug 15, 2022
Edit 3 After multiple troubleshooting methods we think we found the kulprit. When shutting down steam with the rigged unplayable MO2 running we for the first time got an EAC notification that the Vive VR install was suspicious. Once we uninstalled Vive the game just runs now... Idk, could have been a number of things, i find it odd that uninstalling Vive a VR program that was never running in the background was causing it not to start.

Edit 2 Its doing the same thing again andthe workaround method is janky...

Edit 1 FIXED IT!!! And it was stupid as hell....

Had to launch the game with steam off in compatability mode and then when the game pops up start steam then quit all processes and restart the game...

It was a corrupted steam cloud save. Once we got the game loaded with steam up it had overwritten the cloud save.

So two friends and I have been trying to get our other buddy's Mortal Online 2 game to start.

Here is some information on what we have done to attempt to fix it.

- He previously played during beta with me.
- He has had the game uninstalled for a long time.
- 5 Reinstalls of the game.
- Multiple PC restarts.
- Deleted Steam Download Cache.
- Repaired Steam Libraries.
- Verified Integrity.
- Turned off all anti-virus shields and windows defender.
- Deleted the Mortal Online 2 Folder inside the App Data folder.
- Tried to start from both exe's inside the Mortal Folder.
- Launched Mortal on DX12 & DX11
- Updated all drivers, bios, windows etc...
- Ran the DirectX End User Runtime Web installer. (It stated directx was already installed/up to date)
- Removed the GameOverlayRenderer.dll and let steam re-add it.
- Ran the EAC Installer inside the MO2 install folder. (won't start, flashes a CMD screen for like 0.2 seconds)
- Edited the graphics config file lowering the resolution.
- Ran every launcher as admin as well as edited each exe in compatibility setting putting to always run as admin.
- Launched MO2 from GeForce.
- Checked to see if the game is windowed mode on the desktop.
- Attempted to set game priority to high when it shows up in the task manager under services (when it's not working OC) and it will not let the application be set to high.

What does MO2 do when launching?

- 99% of the time when launching the game, you will "only" get the loading icon on your mouse cursor. Nothing else happens, there is no application showing up in the taskbar however, steam states the game is running as well as we all get a steam notification that he has started playing the game. There is no sound, no video, not even an application to click on. Also, inside the task manager it shows MO2 is running but again nothing.
- 1%of them time when launching the game, we managed to get "only" a blackscreen to load up. Nothing else happens, this only happened once when starting MO2 as admin from the EAC exe inside the MO2 folder. I also wanted to mention again, when it has been started and nothing comes up it will show up in the task manager and "CANNOT" be set to high priority in the services tab. Not sure if that matters since the game is already running/not-running.

At this point we have no clue WTF is causing this.

PC Specs
2x 2080 Super (game was booted with both up and with only 1
Intel i9
64GB Ram
Alienware Chipset.

- Edit Getting to the End of writing this it is now loading only a blackscreen at least more often now.
- And now it is back to nothing again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
Just some random ideas:

• Is there enough remaining harddrive space after install?
  • Does the motherboard have an on-board videocard that you can try?
  • All other games work okay?
  • Maybe try logging into a different steam account and trying with the same install
  • Delete any associated registry keys for steam and mo2 then reinstall?

Vim

Aug 15, 2022
Doing the steam account thing now. Have not tried to boot it to another video card yet and we are not to comfortable digging through registry

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628

Vim

Aug 15, 2022
We have done so much shit it is crazy like i am losing track of wtf we have done... just tried loading in as a brand new local user and once again nothing.

Full manual uninstall of all entities of EAC and Virus protector. Reinstalled EAC and still nothing.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
No it does not
ok this is prob because your character in a spot in game that causes you to crash when you try to log in. You have to go talk to FarmerJoe on Discord.

Happened to me before and some others.

Vim

Aug 15, 2022
ok this is prob because your character in a spot in game that causes you to crash when you try to log in. You have to go talk to FarmerJoe on Discord.

The game will not even boot up to a screen nor will it show up on the taskbar, just says its running in process.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

fuckin' columbo right here haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
The game will not even boot up to a screen nor will it show up on the taskbar, just says its running in process.
This is possibly overly-obvious, but if you're trying to get some MO exe to run, and it doesn't work or stops, check to see that there is no such process still running before you try to start it again —sometimes, the last instance just desn't shut down — that's a very old known issue which (probably, & I hope) doesn't apply to your difficulty.

Last edited:

Vim

Aug 15, 2022
Today we got the game to run to the main menu with steam turned off but get an error code that steam needs to be open before running... So I am wondering if there is something wrong with steam or maybe shit in the registry. He had launched it from the windows troubleshooter and it ran in compatibility mode under windows 8... So it could be a steam issue, registry issue or account issue.