Monetization

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
Im for monthly sub but in same time I dont think I would of pay for MO1 just to try it to see if I like it or not. I started at Steam release as F2P and find out it was the kind of game I was looking for and its the same for a lot of MO1 player between 2015-2018.

Even if I was getting kill in the graveyard and almost uninstall the game after remaking multiple character. I gave a chance to the game... it was free after all and seeing everyone running around tindrem in all kind of different armor color/weapons/pets made me want to know a bit more about the game before just quitting.

The good thing about making people pay for the game and monthly is the people that gonna pay for it gonna actually TRY the game... because they spend money on it. Most new on MO1 was doing the tutorial, a total of 45min to do when your newb and quit after.

Yes there is some bad thing about F2P. People make some F2P account to scout and spy but its something u get use to it after a while.(Its pretty much the only exploit as long I remember... maybe duping was also involve in that)

Other people would have "full red" characters that they would only gear up and use to kill&loot people, then when they were done they would trade back all of their gear and transfer them to the "main" character again and thus completely bypassing the game's flagging/criminal system.

Now lets talk about that...Having a "Full red" Character? Killing blues.... to loot them... and transfer the gear on a blue "main" Character?
First of all, this is not "bypassing" the flagging system, your statement just dont make any sense and it would be too long to explain you why.
There was 1 bypass and I dont think it have anything to do with F2P system. There was a bug that you could Turn Blue as a red that get eventually fix and people get ban for exploiting it.

PS:Having a "Newb Island" Could open some opportunity to StarVault for a F2P model. Just saying ;) ( im against having a newb island tho ^^... )

Last edited:

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
i think it should be limited Time trail and rewards for players bringing friends to the game, a reward for x Ammounts of Players that subbed after trail. Nothing special. Maybe a forum titel, a cape or somethign like that. i personally think it would be cool if players could buy subscription for ingame Gold aswell, becuase this will boost the Playerbase a lot. See Albion Online. But the game need to stay buy to play. Otheriwse a banned hacker could just create a new account.

Reactions: Avenoma

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
I want to see cosmetic shop in MO2. Why not? But subs must be.

Being enable to identify your opponent gear is very important.
So if there is any kind of cosmetic shop they need to be very careful on what they sell. They can sell cape... maybe weapon if they dont want add texture to it just like MO1 was, cosmetic pet armor. It basically need to have no impact at all on the gameplay.

Its pretty much the only reason why we sceptic about cosmetic shop. But if they respect that, I dont see any problem about it.

Reactions: Kokolo

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I think the subscription model is in part to discourage players from multi-clienting through multiple PCs or having multiple alts through multiple Steam accounts. Not that it won't happen of course, but the fact that every account needs an active subscription to play means that this won't be as common as it was in MO1.

Last edited:

Magestica

Mar 1, 2021
If they make PvP consensual they'd make more money.
You want to listen to Henrik's interview - its really not as simple as it seems some people think, just to go round killing people without negative effects in doing such. Henrik highlights that if you do this you will be limited in regards to accessing many aspects of the game in the long run. In saying this, it alludes to the principal that murderers will be pretty weak over time, and well rounded, levelled and good rep players will have a massive advantage over them.

Take into account bounty hunters, neg rep, guards, telling priests how you died, and general 'flashing red' markers its going to hard to be bad in general gameplay areas and it seems bad means weak ultimately. I to some extent do agree with you, Classic WOW IMO is the best pvp system in any game i've played to be honest and i've played alot.

Eve was good also and both implemented the same basic winning formula, open world pvp - reputation and NPC and Player policing in certain areas. I cant see there will be a problem as Mortal 2 online has all these things. You must understand this is an OPEN WORLD pvp game PERIOD. Should they offer a PVE option and a PVE server, what and then you demand free to play and a cash shop ?

Last edited:

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
You want to listen to Henrik's interview - its really not as simple as it seems some people think, just to go round killing people without negative effects in doing such. Henrik highlights that if you do this you will be limited in regards to accessing many aspects of the game in the long run. In saying this, it alludes to the principal that murderers will be pretty weak over time, and well rounded, levelled and good rep players will have a massive advantage over them.

Take into account bounty hunters, neg rep, guards, telling priests how you died, and general 'flashing red' markers its going to hard to be bad in general gameplay areas and it seems bad means weak ultimately. I to some extent do agree with you, Classic WOW IMO is the best pvp system in any game i've played to be honest and i've played alot.

Eve was good also and both implemented the same basic winning formula, open world pvp - reputation and NPC and Player policing in certain areas. I cant see there will be a problem as Mortal 2 online has all these things. You must understand this is an OPEN WORLD pvp game PERIOD. Should they offer a PVE option and a PVE server, what and then you demand free to play and a cash shop ?

Don´t listen to trolls. d0ef6a5062187766.jpg

Sry Hyena, i hope you are not pissed, but i have to do this, becuase the forum should be used to give constructive feedback and not to troll people. The Devs should rather listen to the feedback instead of reading troll posts.
somehow Hyena is right. The MO community is a little mentally confused if they believe that such posts are meant seriously and let themselves trigger with such Posts.

Sure pay to win would be a good idea. Make pvp an Option to turn off. Add a microtransactions shop ? How you can beleave that this is something a player want to be added to the game. What comes next ? Give us swords that are 10 times the size of the character Model, so you can hit Players 1000 Meters away. That would make the game more pupular in Asia...

Last edited:

Magestica

Mar 1, 2021
Don´t listen to trolls. View attachment 1442

Sry Hyena, i hope you are not pissed, but i have to do this, becuase the forum should be used to give constructive feedback and not to troll people. The Devs should rather listen to the feedback instead of reading troll posts.
somehow Hyena is right. The MO community is a little mentally confused if they believe that such posts are meant seriously and let themselves trigger with such Posts.

Sure pay to win would be a good idea. Make pvp an Option to turn off. Add a microtransactions shop ? How you can beleave that this is something a player want to be added to the game. What comes next ? Give us swords that are 10 times the size of the character Model, so you can hit Players 1000 Meters away. That would make the game more pupular in Asia...
Ah I see - Henrik did show a picture of a what an in game troll would look like - perhaps it escaped.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
These Days you can find Trolls everywhere. Not only the Joe Biden Trolls during the election, that claim that Joe Biden have good political Ideas.
Yeah tear down the border Wall. A world of open borders is a good idea. Lets trippel the minimum Wage during the biggest Crisis. These Twitter Trolls are to much for me.

Last edited:

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
I think the subscription model is in part to discourage players from multi-clienting through multiple PCs or having multiple alts through multiple Steam accounts. Not that it won't happen of course, but the fact that every account needs an active subscription to play means that this won't be as common as it was in MO1.
Yea. Its for people like me who want to run 3 accounts and trade bot in multiple locations with multiple trading outposts(player houseing). Im very glad they included the single character aspect. That was a stellar decision, bc Id still have 3 accounts, but 12 toons to manage. I would not appreciate that -.-

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
Lets trippel the minimum Wage during the biggest Crisis.
Haha, had to get in on this...

Quoting you, just for light banter.

Dude, the progressives, not the liberals have the wheel. Progressives are just new republicans, trust me...they are going to "pay" the new "generation" of robot workers the old minimum wage. Corporations will get the kick back off the robot labor and everyone will get a huge minimum wage bounce.

Its not even Uncle Joes idea, its Yang's. I like the way he handled himself in the debates.

Like what even the fuck. I cant be the only person to have picked up on that.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
These Days you can find Trolls everywhere. Not only the Joe Biden Trolls during the election, that claim that Joe Biden have good political Ideas.
Yeah tear down the border Wall. A world of open borders is a good idea. Lets trippel the minimum Wage during the biggest Crisis. These Twitter Trolls are to much for me.

well see it this way, with minimum wage of 15$/hour you only need to work 1h a month to afford MO subscription :D

Attila The Hun

Mar 13, 2021
to be honest I would not mind paying for cosmetics, but maintain a subscription as it deters cheaters, just make it economical, and cosmetics are fine as it gives them an incentive to bring in more content.

Oneirodynia

Mar 19, 2021
I want it to be like in FF14 --> B2P + Subs + Shop. Its best monetization in MMORPG.
I want to see cosmetic shop in MO2. Why not? But subs must be.

I had to look into FF14's monetization system, wasn't even aware it managed to pull off a subscription model in today's climate. Interesting. I did know that the game nearly died at launch, but clawed its way from the depths of ruin to a more stable position.

I just dropped 10 dollars in 20 minutes of a "new to me" mobile game thats been out for 2 years. And I need to spend 20 moar to get what I need for the short term. Im looking at prolly 200 dollars in 3 months if I decide I want to catch up for PvP bc right now I can only afford PvE.
I suspect this is what yur talking about as in the direction of gaming, even if you arent honest to yourself about it. Its all one big reskinning cash shop and I really really like this mobile game bc its really really hard for me to find one I like.
Maybe more people should rethink how theyve been lead down a path by the nose, when it comes to gaming and spending money for reskins.

Eh? No.

I'm not talking about the mobile market. There's a monumental difference between selling power, which most mobile games do, and selling a neat helmet in Planetside 2 that has absolutely no impact over gameplay beyond, "Hey, that looks neat!" Cosmetic shops are how the core industry avoids the lucrative pull of the predatory practices in mobile gaming, because there's always people willing to pay out to look fancy.

No one holds a gun to your head and says, "Buy this cool helmet!"

The mobile market is extremely well known to leave you feeling absolutely handicapped unless you pay money for what they sell.

I feel like a 7 day trial would be nice so ppl can try it out and you cant lvl a char to pvp in 7 days probably get a mage out in 5 or 6 days but then you only got it for like 2 days

Kind of different than what I think anyone, outside the demographic already committed to a subscription, is looking for.

That's a bait and hook technique. Give them a taste so they swallow the hook and find themselves committed to a subscription.

Doesn't work with people like me, otherwise I'd still be playing WoW. :p

It worked on a LOT of people in WoW because the subscription model was the bee's knees of the time period. Despite better MMORPGs existing, without a subscription, WoW thrives because people are invested both in the story and the years upon years that they've dumped money into the game.

If they make PvP consensual they'd make more money.

I'm not sure about that.

I actually adored World PVP in WoW PVP servers...long before the flagging system. Good times.

There's a demographic for that who pine for the good old days...but restricting it to specific servers is an alright idea. A variety of server types allow for different demographics to find their home in any game. The fact that WoW changed their system is one of many reasons I never wanted to dive in after my initial free months of game time. A buddy even offered to pay my subscription just to have me play alongside him and I declined because of, in part, that reason.

We already know that mortal is not going to appeal to the greater whole. The real question is will this model provide enough money for the developers to continue development of the game.

If it can't, it can't. But I am still a strong believer that if it can, then this model will provide the best chance of continued development of the actual game.

Having artist submit their work? That would only work on systems that are already complete.

There are other systems that need to be created to continue the development of the game.

If it comes to just adding player made art to current systems then actual development is not really happening.

And I do agree that it would not be worth a sub at that point.

That's a fair enough position and I agree...it depends entirely around whether or not the demographic willing to pay a mandatory subscription is large enough to support the game.

I don't personally see that being the case, much like I didn't with ESO...a much more popular IP. The fact that they attempted a free-to-play system for the predecessor seems to reinforce my belief, but I suppose we'll see. I certainly could be wrong, as the game looks pretty awesome and may suddenly take off, breaking through the shift in the gaming community's withdraw from the mandatory-subscription games. As Pakostnyi mentioned, FF14 managed to do it...but that's also an extremely popular IP and they almost failed too, from what I've read.

I certainly didn't make this post with the belief that the current community would agree with me though, I got the same exact sort of responses from the early ESO community and ended my discussions in the same way I will with this one, that I could be wrong and we'll see when we see...unless they read and agree with me internally.

Not much I can do beyond what I did back then, offer my opinion and defend that opinion. As I stated before, I'm definitely biased...because I'll only be playing if I'm not locked into the requirement of a subscription, and I'd certainly like to play.

As for artists submitting their work though,

Look into Planetside 2 and Warframe, you'll see what I mean. The 3D modeling community makes a lot of money making vanity-related items for these games that other players can then purchase to show off a little personal flare for their characters. It's a system that works extremely well, as it provides a monetization system the devs aren't really working on directly, they just have people approving designs and disproving those that don't fit with the world they've created.

I made a camouflage pattern in Planetside 2, for example, and still receive a periodic check for it several years later. Those who've made helmets and the like have made a LOT more money than I have, as have the developers...since they get a cut of the profit. Works out really well for everyone, as the dev team has items they can monetize that didn't require too much internal work, the artistic community gets paid for their work, and the player gets some very nice vanity items to purchase...if they want.

Had they launched with the system in place, Planetside 2 wouldn't have had nearly as rocky a start as they did...though it wouldn't have solved all their problems, of course.

Last edited:

Oneirodynia

Mar 19, 2021
this x100

Again, look to Warframe's Tennogen or Planetside 2's Player Studio.

Great systems, great quality. You'd be surprised.

it's because MO targets the old snob childs of the decaying world aristocracy

the subscription fee is just peanuts, compared to the sheer decadence they can experience in game

I mean, that's true...but a people are starting to see a lot of alternatives that provide more optional systems. This game certainly has a few things over its competition, but I'm not sure that's going to be enough to pull enough people in that are willing to tether their wallet.

Again, I definitely could be wrong...but this is the same argument I've had with the early Elder Scrolls Online community, prior to launch.

Hell, I only know about this game because of ESO (The YouTuber, not the game) was asking why more people aren't hyped about this game and trying to encourage interest...and I'm suspecting it's not because the game doesn't look awesome, it's because, like me, they realized its going to be a subscription game and aren't willing to jump into that.

Otherwise, I don't see why this game wouldn't be highly anticipated.

cosmetic shops are great when you have the manpower and budget; mo2 doesnt. Hell a large portion of the world is composed of store bought assets (reason why buildings have non functioning doors).

Again, Tennogen and PlayerStudio.

There's plenty of people looking to work and willing to work for under what a permanent employee makes. I can't stress enough how nice this system has been for Warframe and Planetside 2. There's a LOT of talented artists out there doing this for a living, submitting their work to these games in the hopes that they can make royalties off the sales.

Hell, I'm one of them. I spent a half an hour on a camouflage for Planetside 2 and, several years later, still get a check, periodically, for the sales. Sadly, they got so swamped with camouflages that they shut down that facet of the studio, but others are making helmets and the like still, and making both them and Daybreak a decent volume of money in the process.

Yes only the mega rich can afford 15 dollars a month.

Butler bring me more caviar forthwith! or its coming from your salary.

It's one more bill atop many others. There's a LOT of people that are trimming the fat now days, especially during a pandemic that's left many unemployed.

Im for monthly sub but in same time I dont think I would of pay for MO1 just to try it to see if I like it or not. I started at Steam release as F2P and find out it was the kind of game I was looking for and its the same for a lot of MO1 player between 2015-2018.

Even if I was getting kill in the graveyard and almost uninstall the game after remaking multiple character. I gave a chance to the game... it was free after all and seeing everyone running around tindrem in all kind of different armor color/weapons/pets made me want to know a bit more about the game before just quitting.

The good thing about making people pay for the game and monthly is the people that gonna pay for it gonna actually TRY the game... because they spend money on it. Most new on MO1 was doing the tutorial, a total of 45min to do when your newb and quit after.

Yes there is some bad thing about F2P. People make some F2P account to scout and spy but its something u get use to it after a while.(Its pretty much the only exploit as long I remember... maybe duping was also involve in that)

I don't disagree that free-to-play has its issues.

That's why I suggest a purchase-to-play with a cash-shop of purely cosmetic items. You start off with an initial price of $60, and you have less people making a spy account. I'm sure some would, but that's a fair share of cash to toss into a character that could end up banned.

i think it should be limited Time trail and rewards for players bringing friends to the game, a reward for x Ammounts of Players that subbed after trail. Nothing special. Maybe a forum titel, a cape or somethign like that. i personally think it would be cool if players could buy subscription for ingame Gold aswell, becuase this will boost the Playerbase a lot. See Albion Online. But the game need to stay buy to play. Otheriwse a banned hacker could just create a new account.

I agree completely with buy-to-play.

I'm not suggesting free-to-play. You need that initial $60 charge to finance the foundation of the game and ensure that the shenanigan's of free-to-play systems doesn't transpire.

As for the ability to purchase subscriptions with an in-game currency system, that could work...it would be a little tricky to flesh out, but I could see it. I have no knowledge of Albion, but yeah...I can see it. Not my favorite idea, but I'd certainly play...were that the case.

Oneirodynia

Mar 19, 2021
Being enable to identify your opponent gear is very important.
So if there is any kind of cosmetic shop they need to be very careful on what they sell. They can sell cape... maybe weapon if they dont want add texture to it just like MO1 was, cosmetic pet armor. It basically need to have no impact at all on the gameplay.

Its pretty much the only reason why we sceptic about cosmetic shop. But if they respect that, I dont see any problem about it.

I don't disagree with that.

There's still plenty of opportunities for cosmetics. Pet armor, housing décor and material appearance, hair styles, beard styles, piercings, makeup, there's a lot you can still do without running into the perfectly valid issues you're bringing up.

As I said, cobblestone for the plebs, dark mossy cobblestone for the wallets.

You can make this work.

I understand that, but they tried to implement a free-to-play system in the original. Why?

This isn't normally a move done out of the kindness of the developers hearts, it's done because they're having issues pulling people in and need a way to foster the community. The perception of subscription models hasn't become more favorable since then.

Don't get me wrong, as I've said many times...I still feel that the game would need to be "purchase to play," with a $60 or so entry fee to try and deter the very thing you, and others, are talking about.

No one is talking about pay to win.

Pay to win is why I don't play mobile games.

How about free accounts can only play in haven and can't go to mianland problem solved.

That would give you a decent population.........in Haven.

The population also wouldn't be sustainable, as people like me would ultimately eventually grow bored and move onto different games because we're cut off from the majority of the content. People are wise to the bait-and-hook systems now days...though it'd certainly rope in some. That is, after all, one of the reasons they're doing the free stress test. They want people to jump in and get hyped up about the vision they're presenting.

...just like I was hyped when I saw a video on the game.

My hype died with the mandatory subscription though. Instead, I'll just live vicariously through the streaming community. :p

Haha, had to get in on this...

Quoting you, just for light banter.

Dude, the progressives, not the liberals have the wheel. Progressives are just new republicans, trust me...they are going to "pay" the new "generation" of robot workers the old minimum wage. Corporations will get the kick back off the robot labor and everyone will get a huge minimum wage bounce.

Its not even Uncle Joes idea, its Yang's. I like the way he handled himself in the debates.

Like what even the fuck. I cant be the only person to have picked up on that.

The authoritarian center has the wheel.

They use the extremes of both sides to keep the anti-authoritarian curvature of the political compass from unifying against them. If everyone is pleading for the establishment Democrats and Republicans to save them from the horrible "other side," they can all sit back giggling behind closed doors while drinking their scotch and smoking cigars.

Doesn't matter which side of the coin you get, the only thing that matters to them is that we keep flipping the coin.

...but that's politics, and I loathe politics. Talk about that enough on Twitter.

to be honest I would not mind paying for cosmetics, but maintain a subscription as it deters cheaters, just make it economical, and cosmetics are fine as it gives them an incentive to bring in more content.

Again, the issue is whether or not the volume of players willing to pay can support the game.

If I'm right, then something needs done...or the alternative is just another neat idea that no one jumps on.

Everyone here now can be excited and willing to pay into a subscription, but if the volume of people isn't large enough...that doesn't amount to a successful launch. The game will end up rushing a non-subscription-based system within a year, trying to salvage a failed launch...and likely mess it up because they rushed the system in when they had absolutely no plan for it.

Without a extremely popular IP to fall back on, that's risky.

That's their risk to take, and they have a VERY awesome idea...but, personally, I'm just seeing the same situation brewing that the Elder Scrolls Online had. So, if they choose to continue down this path and I'm wrong...awesome, I'll at least get to watch people have fun on Twitch, heh. It wouldn't be the first game I didn't buy into but heavily watched others play.

----------------------------

Man, I loathe character limits because I like trying to respond to everyone...but I rant, a lot.