MO2 an Anti-PVP PVP Game

Tzone

May 16, 2021
MO2 does not have PvPers wont over. There is just not another option out there. And despite the lack of alternatives many of those long term beta PvPers quit the game already.

the same people who will be paying for 3-4 accounts each.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
There is just not another option out there. And despite the lack of alternatives many of those long term beta PvPers quit the game already.
The thing is to me having no alternative doesnt mean settle for crap. I'd rather just go play a totally different game genre. To me open pvp is a dead concept. I can't really think of a way it works well so I have no expectations of a company doing it right (and is why no companies have been able to do it well). So I might as well just go play other types of games. MO1 was such a good time because it wasn't done well. It heavily favored griefing.

Big Lips

Feb 16, 2022
So u get locked up with ur own kind, but think its unfair?
That is your argument?

"My own kind" LOL.

A spawnkiller is not a PVPer, nor is it my kind. Now you're just drawing arbitrary lines in the sand where it helps your case. Also, you made no case for why the town should not have guards; you just don't like PVPers because they probably dunked your PVE ass too many times.

My argument is this : ALL players deserve a place to spawn safely. This is why we need repless guards. People do not deserve to not be able to play the game because they engaged in PVP.

It'd be like me shipping you off to a PVE only zone because you did too much PVE, and there was a mob on your head killing you over and over whilst you're naked. That is an accurate comparison of me making the argument you're making.

Meanwhile i'd be there saying "You shouldn't have done so much PVE, it serves you right you bad bad man!"

Would you like that? No? Then why are you trying to subject people who partake in PVP to that?

Get this through your skull : Just because someone killed you in a videogame doesn't mean they're a bad person. I know this is difficult for you to believe, but you bring your silly RL morality into a videogame, and it is just cringe. This is not RL, you must go into it knowing these things will happen; if you get triggered off being killed and robbed, then why did you play a game built around full-loot PVP???

Let PVPers PVP in their PVP game.

Terrible terrible argument on your part.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jatix

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
Someone suggested that a murderer could choose to rez at blue priest, at the cost of statloss. I cant remember whr I saw the idea.

Big Lips

Feb 16, 2022
I really don't understand this sentiment. The PvP in MO2 is only enjoyable because it feels meaningful. It only feels meaningful as long as there is value in the items used, risked, lost, and gained in PvP. That value comes from the time and effort that "PvErs" put into getting materials and crafting items.

MO2 is a Sandbox MMO, not a "PvP game". I would think it to be obvious that the PvE is what makes the PvP fun in the first place. If you wanted nothing but PvP in your game, surely there are many options with even better and more focused PvP gameplay.
The reason there are PVP games with no stakes is proof that PVP on it's own is enough of an incentive for PVP.

The PVE is just the garnish, the seasoning you put on top of what is the steak of PVP. It makes the victory sweeter, but just victory alone is still sweet. Again, i indicate every successful PVP game that has no reward or PVE element outside of just the PVP process itself.

PVE helps, sure, but it is not the core. Nowhere did i say "no PVE allowed" also. All i said was if the core is PVP, then it shouldn't be so massively limited and punishing.

Big Lips

Feb 16, 2022
Someone suggested that a murderer could choose to rez at blue priest, at the cost of statloss. I cant remember whr I saw the idea.
Why should they lose stats?

They aren't bad because they killed someone in a videogame. They are bad because the game says they're bad.

I'm saying the game doesn't have to say it is bad. Have violence in the cities trigger guards, but outside? All should be fair game. OR, at the very least they should put guards in the repless towns.

Nobody deserves to not play the game because they engaged in PVP in a PVP focused game.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
In my opinion it will always boil down to one thing in games like these.

If the skill gap between an average and a great player lies in the range of 1vs10 and the great wins quickly in equal gear we will have less giant alliances and more small to medium independent guilds.
Have it like now and most will flock to alliances because numbers and gear matter more then personal trained skill of individual.
The harder the combat is, the more you have to train to excel and actually get rewarded by not having artificial limitations. The more independency will go around.
But you will get the scary cries from the average players refusing to train to better themselves but rather whine about it and hope the devs nerf the "athletes".

Reactions: Banespike and Tzone

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
Why should they lose stats?

They aren't bad because they killed someone in a videogame. They are bad because the game says they're bad.

I'm saying the game doesn't have to say it is bad. Have violence in the cities trigger guards, but outside? All should be fair game. OR, at the very least they should put guards in the repless towns.

Nobody deserves to not play the game because they engaged in PVP in a PVP focused game.

No one is rl bad because of what they do in MO.

I thought that lawless zones were going to be added.

If the game is going to be a living world, thr has to be some sort of consequence for crimes done in both npc and player settles areas. We can hope for player control of criminal system in guild controlled areas. In npc controlled area it will be mechanics like MC, statloss, rep etc etc.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
No one is rl bad because of what they do in MO.

I thought that lawless zones were going to be added.

If the game is going to be a living world, thr has to be some sort of consequence for crimes done in both npc and player settles areas. We can hope for player control of criminal system in guild controlled areas. In npc controlled area it will be mechanics like MC, statloss, rep etc etc.
We had lawless zones. In GK and Jungle. All you could do is MC but no rep loss. Then Herink removed to red priest with blue ones and added rep loss to the GK dungeon priest.

He keeps saying we will have lawless areas but literally so far away from a guarded town and still being punished for competing over end game content and resources, still getting punished for winning in a game.

On here there are defiantly people who think that you are a bad person IRL for PvPing.

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
We had lawless zones. In GK and Jungle. All you could do is MC but no rep loss. Then Herink removed to red priest with blue ones and added rep loss to the GK dungeon priest.

He keeps saying we will have lawless areas but literally so far away from a guarded town and still being punished for competing over end game content and resources, still getting punished for winning in a game.

On here there are defiantly people who think that you are a bad person IRL for PvPing.
You could mc in a lawless zone...? not so lawless then. Unless there is some npc agenda for the priests. But, they said(in the lore twitch) that resurrection priests should be viewed with "suspension of disbelief", so I think that is not the case. Lawless zone should be no rep loss and no mc. imo

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
You basically just have to reroll if a town doesn't like you anymore.

Most people will just quit the game. There is just no point playing a game that cares nothing for player retention.

Anyone defending the harshness of the criminal system doesn't realize that it is basically nosediving the game into it's grave.

Banning someone from spawning from a city is too harsh. Guards should respond to crimes they see, not crimes they do not. It is just word on word, they aren't psychic. Anything in the open world should be fairgame.

"but it will just turn into people killing eachother".

That already happens, It just has some pointless tedium tied to doing it is all, which changes nothing for butthurt PVErs who cry on a PVP game.

Let your PVP game be a PVP game and it will thrive. STOP with this absurd "your actions have consequences" bs.. LET THE PLAYERS BE THE CONSEQUENCES, NOT THE NPC PSYCHIC MIND POLICE.

It is just immersion destroying and nonsensical. Overcomplicating an needless system that shouldn't even be here in the first place. Just do it like other successful PVP games with MMO design. Keep the full loot PVP, but let us spawn again without making us delete our characters.

It is like the core of the game is built on PVP, and then you've put something in to betray the core entirely.. To needlessly hinder it because of people who don't belong on PVP games to begin with.

Stop listening to PVERs for your PVP game. YOU CANNOT PLEASE EVERYONE. PICK WHAT YOUR GAME IS GOING TO BE. IS IT PVP CHAD? OR PVE SOY?

Instead, you have this confused mess where no one is pleased, and the game sucks.

The people who want to PVP can't PVP, and the PVErs need players to be the content, because there is no PVE content. An endless destructive feedback loop; if you cannot focus the vision of your game, it is doomed for a swift failure.

They would be better off turning towns into safe zones (they currently are, by the way, especially with the absurd /guard command) and disabling the murder system.

The reputation system exists for long term players to grind their time into reputation so that they can actually play. The longer you keep a player grinding, the more subscription they pay.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
this whole thing is silly af , just make reds red and cant enter towns unless its a lawless town... for the love of god just make their names red so people can actually know they are gunna get killed as soon as they attack their next mob. i dont understand why its a big deal... having a red name in uo was an honor only a red could have , you hadto be a beast in order to not be a ghost all the time. i think we need to start their again and see where it goes.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
this whole thing is silly af , just make reds red and cant enter towns unless its a lawless town... for the love of god just make their names red so people can actually know they are gunna get killed as soon as they attack their next mob. i dont understand why its a big deal... having a red name in uo was an honor only a red could have , you hadto be a beast in order to not be a ghost all the time. i think we need to start their again and see where it goes.
Ya honestly MO1's Red/Blue system felt so much more functional. It obviously had flaws. But this current standing system feels terrible and unfinished, and just makes no sense half the time.

Dazin

Jan 29, 2022
I think in some of these discussions the forest is being missed for the trees. Can the current pvp system be improved on? Absolutely, but as a new MO2 player and one who prefers pvp, I’ll never quit or care much about being rolled or so called unfair this or that, it’s all part of pvp vs pve.

You want to know what will cause people to stop playing MO2? The fact that this game is barely functional. Invisible weapons, constant lag especially for non-EU players, broken skills, cumbersome mechanics for simple things like switching weapons, only 2 or three viable pvp playstyles, most of your time being on horseback to get to nowhere, and some of the worst and least engaging pve I’ve seen in 2 decades even in multiple pvp focused mmo’s. And that’s just scratching the surface; never mind I can’t even type /r to reply to someone in the year of our lord 2022.

When I first started I thought MO2 was raw and minimalistic/spartanesq which I thought would be refreshing but the reality is that it is the most incomplete MMO I‘ve ever played. Heck, watch some vids on Ashes of Creation from their first non NDA Alpha 1. That game is already far more polished and smoother than anything I’ve seen in MO2.

If they want to keep players and bring in more players they better fix the underlying issues else the only ones that stay will be players with nothing else they currently care to play or diehards that only play due to the relationships they have with other players/guilds rather than the game itself.