Mercy Mode 2.0 Theft?

MyrmexThraxvágr

May 28, 2020
France
discord.gg
Hey folks I've been thinking, in the combat alpha there is lots of theft happening due to killing one another or just to get players into it or because of toxism.
I respect the gameplay of each player, but I would be keen to see another system put into place that gives people the choice to steal a somewhat amount of items of a player that has been put into Mercy mode, before they actually have to kill him and become a murderer.

Means, this is a design concept that I have known from another game that had been following.

In its original form it would look like this:
• Once Player A's health drops down to 1, he would enter mercy mode
-> Player A's body goes unconscious, he falls to the ground and gets a black screen about for 15-20 secs, he can still hear everything though
-> In that sequence Player B is able to loot everything from Player A's inventory, in his hands, sheathed items, banner, cloak but none of the gear like armor that he is wearing which is strictly bond to his body and hard to take off
• Should a Player be killed on mercy mode, then he will of course give away his full inventory

But this way we can actually take away Robbers, Murderers or other Criminals weapons or items that could potentially harm others or stop someone going nuts without necessarily having to kill em!

What yall think? Personally I like it to disable someones combat but not necessarily end his life for it.

Reactions: Putzin

Putzin

Oct 14, 2020
Yeah I think looting someone in mercy mode is good for overall PvP in the game, it would allow you to rob someone in the real world without having to actually kill them. I think getting put into mercy mode should open up your inventory for anyone to take from.

As an example:

Naked running through your territory or in very bad gear, you're not sure if he's with your enemies scouting, running boulders or just a noob exploring. It would be nice to put him in mercy mode and inspect the type of gear the individual has to confirm whatever story he tells you without having to send him all the way home.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I think if you want a players items you should either invest points into thievery or kill them.

This goes around the flagging system to a degree, the idea on paper is nice but it also allows people like myself to grief even more.

If it's as easy as getting people in mercy mode, then I should never have to worry about going red. Cause at the end of the day, whether you're going back in ghost mode or naked - you still lost both the fight and your items.

MyrmexThraxvágr

May 28, 2020
France
discord.gg
I think if you want a players items you should either invest points into thievery or kill them.

This goes around the flagging system to a degree, the idea on paper is nice but it also allows people like myself to grief even more.

If it's as easy as getting people in mercy mode, then I should never have to worry about going red. Cause at the end of the day, whether you're going back in ghost mode or naked - you still lost both the fight and your items.

Pickpocketing will come in handy for sure for stealing lighter items in your inventory. Yet you would'nt be able to steal the weapons in his hand or sheathed.
Well you should still suffer some consequences for decapitating someone into Mercy mode, so eventually you could turn red, maybe? I think for being a true Thief you don't deserve to go red, unless you have stolen greater goods or something from somebody important. But you should be able to return to gray much faster than having killed someone.

I agree you could perhaps grief more but then again you would still have your whole Armor, which will continue to help you survive further on the way.
You might've lost the fight, but the Thief would still be rewarded for putting someone into Mercy mode without having to kill someone, this is what this is about. Making a real Thief playstyle. With this idea you would strife away from too much killing, which could hold a grudge to someone even further. Than just losing a few items in your inventory.

Lasciel

Oct 3, 2020
Ideas like this are good in theory but rarely are utilized in any meaningful way. You might get a few immersed players using the mechanic, but ultimately there's not really an incentive for a PvP based player to not kill them. It's not like you're going to be able to do this to somebody in the middle in the middle of a town, robbing them. You'll get flagged for attacking them. Anyone who sees you outside of a town that is willing to go as far as putting you in mercy will finish you and take your gear. There is literally no reason not to.

MyrmexThraxvágr

May 28, 2020
France
discord.gg
Ideas like this are good in theory but rarely are utilized in any meaningful way. You might get a few immersed players using the mechanic, but ultimately there's not really an incentive for a PvP based player to not kill them. It's not like you're going to be able to do this to somebody in the middle in the middle of a town, robbing them. You'll get flagged for attacking them. Anyone who sees you outside of a town that is willing to go as far as putting you in mercy will finish you and take your gear. There is literally no reason not to.

That Buddy comes down to which Town you're in. Might bait him to a dead corner of the Town and rob him there with a few others? If there are Guards.
I would'nt want to take a someones noob gear but just take away his weapon to disable his combat.

Of course it would come down to what playstyle you are about. A PvPer that likes to just kill people is a different story and will just happen outside, if he plays a Bandit. Then a PvPer who likes to fight and prove his worth shouldn't just kill somebody, there needs to be reason to rightfully do so.

Well for some there ain't but the option is good. I still like killing people but only those that are prepared to die and have worth gear to take.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I think it would be a waste of time to implement something like this with multiple pathways of it going wrong and being exploitable.

If you put someone in mercy mode, ask them to /droploot, take whatever you like and move one. If they don´t drop loot kill them. Or use thievery.

I would be alright with thievery on a certain level (depends on the implementation) is always sucessful when performed on a player in mercy mode. This would give an incentive to have thievery on a fighting character.

Lasciel

Oct 3, 2020
That Buddy comes down to which Town you're in. Might bait him to a dead corner of the Town and rob him there with a few others? If there are Guards.
I would'nt want to take a someones noob gear but just take away his weapon to disable his combat.

Of course it would come down to what playstyle you are about. A PvPer that likes to just kill people is a different story and will just happen outside, if he plays a Bandit. Then a PvPer who likes to fight and prove his worth shouldn't just kill somebody, there needs to be reason to rightfully do so.

Well for some there ain't but the option is good. I still like killing people but only those that are prepared to die and have worth gear to take.

Most people who are PvP oriented don't really care about proving their worth and are disavowed of that notion quite quickly when their chosen "worthy targets" zerg them down. I'm just not seeing the point in making this system, or how it will improve the game or change anything.

Reactions: Eldrath

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I think it would be a waste of time to implement something like this with multiple pathways of it going wrong and being exploitable.

If you put someone in mercy mode, ask them to /droploot, take whatever you like and move one. If they don´t drop loot kill them. Or use thievery.

I would be alright with thievery on a certain level (depends on the implementation) is always sucessful when performed on a player in mercy mode. This would give an incentive to have thievery on a fighting character.
No one would be able to duel in town.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Thieves get away with plenty in town from people who can move and push and chase them. Someone stuck in mercy mode won't have a chance.

Rulant

May 30, 2020
Mercy mode could be how it is now but instead of chopping em down you could do the push and it put em on the ground and lootable, I like it.

We still don't even know exactly how the flagging system will be, but even going off it being exactly the same they could always just give a "murder count" but have it only add 4 hours but still add onto the count #, people afk those away anyway so no real change if they did something like that.

Rulant

May 30, 2020

Could always make it to where if they are being thieved from in mercy mode you get ability to steal items that are equipped to them and in their inventory with 100% success but you 100% of the time go gray, that way when it comes to the town stuff it would be no different than a thief just looting a corpse and running away but still gives the option for banditry outside of town without just murdering.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Just seems like a random addition to the game with no real purpose.

I still think if you want someones things you should steal or kill for them.

Rulant

May 30, 2020
Just seems like a random addition to the game with no real purpose.

I still think if you want someones things you should steal or kill for them.
Stealing from people instead of murdering them for their gear in the wild is important from a roleplay standpoint especially.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I just don't see the importance of it, and I'm wildly for roleplay aspects. I just don't think it's going to be used as intended, and it'll only promote tools in a griefers arsenal. I should know.

Reactions: Eldrath

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Could always make it to where if they are being thieved from in mercy mode you get ability to steal items that are equipped to them and in their inventory with 100% success but you 100% of the time go gray, that way when it comes to the town stuff it would be no different than a thief just looting a corpse and running away but still gives the option for banditry outside of town without just murdering.

Yep, it would be another step in the process of taking someones loot. Or you could just have the droploot command include items that are worn on the characters which seems like a much easier solution.

I´m all for kinky roleplaying, but in the end I think it would be system that is overcomplicated, will probably be abused in some way and can be simulated 100% by my above suggestion for very little developer time.

Rulant

May 30, 2020
I griefed for years, how would having option to steal items from peoples equipped and inv when in mercy mode be any different than ninja looting someone after a duel if the flagging system takes it into account? It wouldn't... and you act like a simple system like that would'nt take very little dev time...

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I've been thinking about this idea. It seems like a way for someone to avoid the consequences of their actions (all the fun of killing without whatever equals a murder count) I wonder if everyone is thinking about the result, the author mentions taking away criminals, murderers, etc., weapons, I think it more likely that it will be used extensively by said murderers to avoid the consequence of murder, making it easier to attack farming, wood chopping, or whatever, peaceful citizens.