Kayak, Boats and Ships?! The Water Warfare!

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Been debating on how to approach the idea of boats and such. What is everyone's thoughts on this? I'm going based on the title of post. Would love to hear some others feed back on this! The numbers are just an idea of a base line, while I hope they make materials change how the ships get hp, speed, and carry weight.

One Person: Kayak/Canoes!, for anyone person to grab some paddles and hit the water freely. Comes with a small cargo of 8 items on the kayak and 16 for the canoes, health around 500 and carry weight of 500 for both. While the canoes speed is 500 and the kayaks is 650.

Two-Four People: Sail boats that can be ran with a few people for faster and longer travels. Uses a sharp pointed bow for damage as well as one ballista. Has single sleeping area for two in the bow and a upgradeable hull (refer to Hull Options under Ships, with the restrictions of appliances and stable. Reducing other modules by 50%) 2000 with the carry weight of 800 and speed at 600.

Four-Ten People: Its a Ship, a f*cking ship.. Builders would create a base layer of a ship and add modules to them. The modules would be maxed at 3(bow, hull, stern). From there players would pick the module upgrade they want for which area of the ship.

Bow options:
Ballista (changing the front to give two ballistas instead of one.)
Spiked Bow ( Metal spiked bow that causes more damage and increases hp by 500, while reducing speed by 10%)
Cargo ( adds 16 cargo slots and carrying weight by 300)
Sleeping Quarters ( Bedding for Ten )
Small Sail ( exchanges smaller sail for a larger wider sail that increases speed by 15%)

Hull options:
Cargo ( adds 16 cargo slots and carrying weight by 800 )
Stable ( Holds 1 pet per person)
Blacksmith Appliances ( All appliances used for weapon, armor, shield, and bow crafting)
Dinning Hull ( gives 8 slots of cargo and cooking appliances)
Tavern Hull ( gives 8 slots of cargo and alchemy appliances)
Metal Hull ( adding 16 cargo spaces and increasing hp by 1000, while decreasing speed by 15%)
Ballistas ( Addes two ballistas. One on each side of the ship.)
Sleeping Quarters (Adds 16 cargo and bedding for Ten)
Large Sail ( exchanges large sail for even larger and wider sail that increases speed by 20%)

Stern options:
Metal Stern (adds 16 cargo spaces and 500 hp. While descending speed by 5%)
Cargo ( adds 16 cargo spaces and carry weight by 500)
Pirates Wheel ( increases speed by 10% and adds 16 cargo slots )
Captins Qauters ( adds place for guide stone and 16 cargo slots with a round table, seating for ten )
Ballista ( adds additional mini ballista to the stern )

The ship comes standard with cargo space of 32 slot and carry weight of 1500 with the speed around 700. *The lower end of the ship will be empty until the modules are placed.

As for the slots for cargo, there would be boxes, barrels and urns filling your vessel as you up grade them. They can be accessed by anyone. The Captions Qauters upgrade will have a locked coded chest for its guild members to access. If the ship sinks the chest becomes pickable once it hits the bottom. ( I imagine a slow sinking ships)

The Boats and Ships cannot be driven by a player who has not been added to the driver list (Owner of vessel can add names to a driver list) . While kayaks and canoes are all around and just need a couple paddles to enjoy.

Abandoned boats and ships over time will lose hp and crew mate loyalty. If a player or guild doesn't attend to there boat from time to time they could lose it just like a mount. A player must maintain the boat/ship with repairing to keep the hp up. While the more you gain a crew mate action called sweeping to keep the loyalty up.

Here's comes the warfate!! Player can steal your ship if your crew mate loyalty or hp falls too low. While an enemy occupies your ship alone it recedes the loyalty 20% slower than the ower or friend/guild mate of the boat/ship. Maxing at 200% loyalty reduction. With a ship full of friends you would have 1000% loyalty increase. Using 1000 being the max loyalty you can earn, once a boat or ships loyalty is below 15% it can be stolen. While the health would have to be 20% or less to be stolen.

Damaging is fairly self explanatory, shoot ballistas, ram boats/ships, and invade others. This should be easy if the boats and ships have the same railing heights. Though the ships would be nearly 60% bigger in length than the boats.

Then of course custom tailored sails and decorative pieces fill the place as you want!

Let me know whatcha folks think!!
-Phen

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Overall a good start. I too hope that materials will play a big role in shipbuilding as it opens up interesting trade opportunities. (Ironwood to Meduli/Toxai etc.) I am a fan of the original designs for MO crafting, not the later stuff that simplified everything. Especially TC was a major offender in that regard.

I think one-person boats should log out with you or decay within a few hours. If it takes say 15 minutes to gather the wood for a kanu, it should only stay in game for 2 hours. If it takes 3 hours to finish a kanu, it should log out with you.

Bigger boat will be harder to balance. Logging them out seems weird (well the login back in part anyway), but you don´t want hundreds of floating ships everywhere. So either they will have to be very expensive or decay super fast.

One idea I like to add is a habor, where you can log out your bigger boats. Maybe only in Tindrem and Toxai. It should cost substantial fees to keep them there and they should need repairs. It would be awesome if there was some kind of representation in game of the ships stored in the habor.

Reactions: Zbuciorn and Phen

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Overall a good start. I too hope that materials will play a big role in shipbuilding as it opens up interesting trade opportunities. (Ironwood to Meduli/Toxai etc.) I am a fan of the original designs for MO crafting, not the later stuff that simplified everything. Especially TC was a major offender in that regard.

I think one-person boats should log out with you or decay within a few hours. If it takes say 15 minutes to gather the wood for a kanu, it should only stay in game for 2 hours. If it takes 3 hours to finish a kanu, it should log out with you.

Bigger boat will be harder to balance. Logging them out seems weird (well the login back in part anyway), but you don´t want hundreds of floating ships everywhere. So either they will have to be very expensive or decay super fast.

One idea I like to add is a habor, where you can log out your bigger boats. Maybe only in Tindrem and Toxai. It should cost substantial fees to keep them there and they should need repairs. It would be awesome if there was some kind of representation in game of the ships stored in the habor.

Only reason I didn't add decay is because of crew mate loyalty. People will take other boats and ships that sit around for too long. Also when destroying boats/ships there should be resources to gather once one is destroyed. I highly disagree that a fisher man fishing for a few hours on his canoe would randomly start sinking because he's having loads of fun. Which is why I added a loyalty for your vessel (boats/ships). Canoes and kayaks should be all around the town/ cities with ocean or larger water ways. I see the vessels being a mix of a house and a mount.

As for logging out, it seems like lots are changing in this area. The beds in vessel are for general sleeping. Nothing like a Inn to log out from. Logging out on a vessel should drop you in the ocean because your vessel isn't safe in open waters. The beds are for long term adventures that may require sleep. Though if you docked at a city, its like stabling your mount. First you have to stop at the dock and then speak to a seaman about watching your vessel. At a larger cost for larger vessels, now like mounts. After you remove your good the vessel gets stashed away for the next time use. Even though this is where your loyalty points should decay over a long time. Similar to someone trying to stealing your boat but at a extremely low amount ( 2% loyalty decrease per day? Idk). But this keeps the world from having too many vessels also gives good reason to destroy other vessels.

Thanks for the ideas!! I'll think more on TC stuff too! I was talking with someone last night who mentioned Navy armadas would be cool. I think the ships with guilds built in wouldn't be able to store their ships though they don't technically control any area than where their vessel. So guild ships / any ship may just have to stay out in the ocean while they travel in on smaller boats to bring in resources. I feel like the ships could be everywhere undocked only because the resource value of one being destroyed could be enough reason to attack a lonely ship. Hopefully this would be getting people into more naval warfare as everything on the water will have some resources you can get after destroying any of the vessels.

-Phen

Reactions: Zbuciorn