Introducing Community Scenarios

Robmo

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 9, 2021
Introducing Community Scenarios

“Community Scenarios” is a project I have been working on for some time to weave extra activity between patch periods. Mat, myself and other lore writers from StarVault have been working on stories that integrate into the history of Nave. These situations are meant to drive dynamic and natural interaction between the player base. The scenario is plopped down into Nave to let the players interact and decide how to deal with the event. We want to promote unique experiences and memories. I’ll try to answer some questions regarding the format.

Are these Scenarios PvE or PvP in nature?

They are both. The situations will introduce actors or mobs throughout the world. Each event is tailored to be different for the purpose of exploring different facets of the game. However, we are not discouraging PvP in any form. During some Scenarios there will be a sense of competition and PvP is a natural extension of that. If you want to descend into the area of the map where the event is happening to PvP, it is encouraged. This does not mean that PvP is required, it is just a natural hazard of the sandbox.

Is Roleplaying allowed?

Yes! Why would it not be? Some Scenarios will have actors acting as “alive” NPCs. You are not forced to roleplay with these actors, but the option is there to flesh out the lore and the world of Mortal Online II. If you want to shank one of these “NPCs”, you can, but the laws of that land apply.

Are there prizes or awards?

Yes. Not every Scenario will have an award given to a “winner”, but in the event that there is some kind of award, it will be announced who are the receivers as a small legacy of the past. Awards will range from gold, mats, rare loot and more. In the case of Scenarios that do not have a competitive spin or time restriction, the mobs or added additions are the “reward”. This could be more loot and mats for you and your friends to gather.

Are there any rules?

No. They are not designed to be restrictive. They are designed for the players to use the sandbox as best they can. We do have one exception, in the case of prizes, and in the case that prizes get repeated, a guild is only allowed to collect “one” reward. This does not include rewards awarded for Scenarios with multiple stages.

Rough example: If something needs to be handed in to an Actor for a reward, a reward will not be given to a guild twice.

What will these Scenarios entail?

Scenarios will range from “quest lines” with actors to new or more mobs in the land. They also may cause temporary changes in world states. Each scenario will have an “in-Lore” supplementary images or handouts to give it a bit more immersion. We are in an early phase of rolling them out, the complexity of these events will improve if they become successful enough to expand on the possibilities. The goal is not to take away time from the developers but they have agreed to give us more tools in the future.

How long are these events?

It varies. Some events will last all day, some events will last until all the mobs are taken care of. If a situation ends, the scenario ends. To ensure that things do not end too quickly or in the event of a Scenario being “completed” too early, it will be repeated at another location throughout the day. If a timed Scenario is not completed, it will be expanded on in a future Scenario and/or the prize will be moved to the next Scenario. In the future, the developers may add temporary spawners for certain scenarios and these events will last longer than one day (Ex. a week). Lastly, Scenarios will not always be held at the same times, It is my plan to make sure that we facilitate different time zones for different Scenarios.

Why do you announce them with little details?

This is meant to make sure that “prep” cannot be done to give you an advantage. If you know the details of some Scenario, you may head to the location early, gather resources, etc in preparation. The day of the event, the details and handouts will be delivered via Discord, Reddit, Steam Forums and the official Forums. Updates will also be posted throughout the Scenario’s life. There is also a surprise factor. We want to give out start times so you can plan to be logged in that day.

Will results be recorded?

Yes. When stages or tasks are completed we will publicly announce who the player was or who “won” the event (if applicable) . On the flip side if there is a Scenario that has actors that happened to be murdered, that will also be annouced. Infamy can be grown.

Are these happening forever?

My hope is yes. Ideally, I would love to create these with Mat and the team for players to experience and create a legacy of fun interaction. I hope to run at least two every month. However, this is a game driven by players. If the community is not convinced this is something they want, I will respect and not force the community to have them. I will be looking for feedback after a few of these are run and hope to hear from you all.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I appreciate the effort of this. Having events on the cuff is one way to prevent it from being to heavily grieved.

It would be cool if there was more permanent events like this that rotated out but you had multiple up to chose from so it would be harder for individuals to affect negatively.

Or for you case multiple options along the quest chain to allow players to chose a different way to complete the quest to avoid other players that would seek to affect the quest of others negatively for that player.

Like if each quest had two to three start points and two to three end points with multiple different paths like a web to complete it, they might actually get the events done.

Reactions: Robmo

oldeurope

Sep 7, 2021
I hope u keep the poor casual family dads in mind that are only able to play at night time...
Im really looking forward for this!

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
I hope u keep the poor casual family dads in mind that are only able to play at night time...
Will depend on your timezone, if you were playing in Aus primetime in MO1 you basically had to stay up all night or miss out on an GM run events

Robmo

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 9, 2021
The plan is to do new events at different times, so I am trying to facilitate different timezones and working times. However there may be events you or others wont be able to attend. So if you miss this one, i am sorry